Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Aces High posted:

ya know it's been a few years since I've seen Spider-Man 2 all the way through but I don't remember Peter being this mopey. Hell not even Spider-Man 3 was he like this, what happened?

Every writer seems to have a different opinion on Peter's threshold for emotional breakdown, and some of them interpret his general struggles being Spider-Man as overwhelming enough to cause him a bit of blues. (Which I can't say is unrealistic.) Thankfully this game does give him an anti-depressant by the end, which is basically what the whole story is about.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A whelming confrontation

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

wait, what? that was Kirsten Dunst? Man they had some pretty different direction compared to the actual movie, especially since MJ had more personality in this game than the movie.

I gotta watch Spider-Man 2 again, I think this game is clouding my perception

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Aces High posted:

I gotta watch Spider-Man 2 again, I think this game is clouding my perception

That's a good thing. It's worth rewatching for the train scene alone, not to mention the Evil Dead homage when the arms kill the doctors.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I was worried that you weren't gonna show off the traffic light/lamp post tying since I couldn't remember when it unlocked in the game. I like it when developers add in things that are pretty much impractical but that you can do just for fun like that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A rather time-consuming endeavor, collecting these. I've tried to remove any duplicate hints. (Of which there were many.)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, that thing with Mysterio in the convenience store was the moment I was thinking of. I love how the game builds it up like it's going to be some long drawn-out boss fight, then one punch floors him.

I don't know who voices Black Cat in this game, but she's the only actor who really sells it. Dunst and McGuire are phoning it in, but Black Cat's VA really hit it home.

And my favorite in the game is one of Bruce Campbell's hint markers--you can probably guess which; I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched the video yet. That still makes me grin.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

KieranWalker posted:

I don't know who voices Black Cat in this game, but she's the only actor who really sells it. Dunst and McGuire are phoning it in, but Black Cat's VA really hit it home.
I think it's Grey DeLisle, who also plays Catwoman in the Arkham games.

edit: Apparently it's not. Huh. According to IMDB, it's Holly Fields. Also, Aunt May was voiced by Frau Farbissina from Austin Powers.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 28, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doc Morbid posted:

I think it's Grey DeLisle, who also plays Catwoman in the Arkham games.

edit: Apparently it's not. Huh. According to IMDB, it's Holly Fields. Also, Aunt May was voiced by Frau Farbissina from Austin Powers.

Hm. For someone who's clearly such a talented voice actor, she doesn't have a whole lot to her name. Weird.

Also Jesus Christ I forgot how many of those hint markers there really were in SM2. I'm almost afraid to ask how long it took you to actually track them all down, GAS.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Also Jesus Christ I forgot how many of those hint markers there really were in SM2. I'm almost afraid to ask how long it took you to actually track them all down, GAS.

the hint markers, at least, are all indicated on the map, and it outlines the ones you've found, so it's just a matter of actually going to all of them.

every other token, however...

:suicide:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

the hint markers, at least, are all indicated on the map, and it outlines the ones you've found, so it's just a matter of actually going to all of them.

Sometimes the hint markers overlap so it's difficult to tell exactly which ones are underlined, but overall it's easy to find them. Still took a while.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You guys remember this? It's not gonna die for a long time now.

There's one more Friend or Foe update after this, and then I'm taking a break from the Spidey Megathread till the new year rolls around. Happy Holidays!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I thought the computer sounded familiar. It's Venus from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (and Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

That's it for now, see you guys in January!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ultimate Spider-Man and more Friend or Foe still incoming, spending a lot more time recording footage lately than commentary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well hey you record the footage and then you spend 2 weeks perfecting the commentary. That's how I would do it :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

Well hey you record the footage and then you spend 2 weeks perfecting the commentary. That's how I would do it :v:

It's more the footage than the commentary, the commentary sometimes just comes out of my face without a filter, but I obsess over making the Spider-Man games look good.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man and more Friend or Foe still incoming, spending a lot more time recording footage lately than commentary.

I love Ultimate Spider-Man, I even had the dumb prequel comic from the Limited Edition ( I think I still do actually). Also, I'm very excited for Shattered Dimensions. That is probably my favourite Spider-Man game

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

I love Ultimate Spider-Man, I even had the dumb prequel comic from the Limited Edition ( I think I still do actually).

I have that, but I have never touched it yet.

I prefer Edge of Time to Shattered Dimensions, but both are really solid.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This video is purely intended to tide you over until March 1st, when the first Ultimate Spider-Man video will finally be uploaded. How did my "see you in January" turn into a "see you in March"? Short-sightedness mostly, whoops.

Is Egypt really this yellow?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

AI Rhino fights bosses like that kid who just bought in next to you playing X-Men Arcade and runs in spamming the power button

Also hey, we're fighting in Agrabah

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 19, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

that kid who just bought in next to you playing X-Men Arcade and runs in spamming the power button

That's terrible for more than one reason, because every time a new player joins, the number of enemies gets larger until it's impossible to play with any semblance of strategy.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Regarding Scorpion:
  1. His "I'll sting them" comment was likely based on the fact that incarnations of the character typically have a spine on their tail and use the tail like the actual animal the character is based on.
  2. His mirror comment would be even funnier if Spidey actually responded to it.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 20, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Regarding Scorpion:
  1. His stinging the enemies comment was likely based on the fact incarnations of the character typically have a spine on their tail and use the tail like the actual animal the character is based on.
  2. His mirror would be even funnier if Spidey actually responded to it.

I have been trying very hard to figure out how to read this properly.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sorry about that, I was trying to type from my e-reader.

Anyway, I do like that Lizard was like "oh hey Spidey, just hanging out at this tomb for no reason"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate Spider-Man is the most polished of Treyarch's Spider-Man games. What? That's not enough for you? Well it's also got even more fluid combat, tighter controls, and greater agility than Spider-Man 2. It took a pretty streamlined approach to improving the previous game, which not only makes it much more accessible, but much more fun. While Spidey 2 solidified our hero as a valid gaming icon, Ultimate Spider-Man gave much needed life and color to his world and characters. This is thanks in no small part to the game's direct tie-in with the comic series. That being said, it's also not nearly as big a departure as before, so don't expect anything to blow you away.

What should I expect?

Approximately all of the fun things from Spider-Man and very few of the bad things.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 15, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact is that this was actually canon for a while in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic line (One of the few good things to come from the Ultimate Universe). Eventually though, it was decanonised.

This is also my personal favorite Spider-Man game, and it's aged really drat well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The web swinging in these games always looks wrong to me. Like, there seems to be something pushing you away from buildings when you first hit them with a web line, so instead of swinging straight towards them you arc outwards in a disconcerting manner. You should have to alternate between swinging to the left and the right, but it seems like you can just stay on one side and it works fine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GoneRampant posted:

This is also my personal favorite Spider-Man game, and it's aged really drat well.

I agree! Not about the personal favorite part, but the aging part.

Tiggum posted:

The web swinging in these games always looks wrong to me. Like, there seems to be something pushing you away from buildings when you first hit them with a web line, so instead of swinging straight towards them you arc outwards in a disconcerting manner. You should have to alternate between swinging to the left and the right, but it seems like you can just stay on one side and it works fine.

It definitely looks weird! But it feels fine so I'm not too concerned about the rest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I love the running commentary Peter has for this tutorial bit (post-Venom). My personal favourite is 'Press X in midair to double-jump. Sure, it breaks the laws of physics, but so do most things I do.'

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ultimate Spider-Man is one of my favorite games ever. Swinging around is so fun that I occasionally turned the game on just to do that. Do whatever mini-events pop up, sure, but mostly I was just swinging around.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Definitely my favorite Spider-Man game; I don't know about the rest of you guys.

Though somehow I had completely forgotten about playing as Venom.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Definitely my favorite Spider-Man game; I don't know about the rest of you guys.

I can see why it would be many people's favorite, there's a lot to love here and very little to dislike.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its my fav too but it was also the last one i played

and the other 2 were just the first 2 movie games, which this game built off of and imo perfected, mechanics wise

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

its my fav too but it was also the last one i played

and the other 2 were just the first 2 movie games, which this game built off of and imo perfected, mechanics wise

The combat and movement feel better and are more fluid, but I think this is mostly because of the simplified mechanics. While that's one way to go about evolving the gameplay, it does cut out the need for any special combos. It was probably a better idea overall still, as it made the license a lot more accessible and heightened Spidey's agility.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm sure that this Rhino distraction will tie into something later in the game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love the dialogue in this game and the cartoon feel really adds to its charm. I will always remember tat entire sequence of "I am so scared I can't even finish my lame joke" followed by Rhyno smacking Pete through a few panels.

Huggy bear boss when?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We should be just fine at the Venom stages then - We're LPers, we already suck up all of other people's lives :v:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 6, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I love the dialogue in this game and the cartoon feel really adds to its charm. I will always remember tat entire sequence of "I am so scared I can't even finish my lame joke" followed by Rhyno smacking Pete through a few panels.

The stylish cutscenes add a lot to the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

We should be just fine at the Venom stages then - We're LPers, we already suck up all of other people's lives :v:

I am sustained by comments on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
This is also one of my favourite Spider-Man game. It has all the good parts of Ultimate Spidey, which is the only good Ultimate, and has all the good parts of the Spider-Man 2 game. The alternate costumes are good, if annoying to unlock, and because the art style is what it is, it ages a lot better. It's a competent game that holds up, even to current Spidey Standards.

• Locked thread