Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

1. Four rapid games. If there is no winner then
2. Two blitz games. If there is no winner then
3. Repeat until 10 total games have been played. If there is no winner then
4. ARMAGEDDON

Good thing you quoted the rulebook because I thought you were joking. I really want tie breakers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

straight up brolic posted:

More stringent time limits heavily favor Magnus right? Isn't he the best blitz player other than that Chinese dude rn?

He should be a heavy favourite in every format, but he doesn't seem to be playing his best right now.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I kinda want this to go to tiebreaks because that kind of rapid fire chess and commentary seems like it'd be awesome to watch.

It is. Rapid chess is a much better spectator experience in my opinion (although certainly many chess players would disagree)

straight up brolic posted:

More stringent time limits heavily favor Magnus right?

Carlsen is great at faster chess, but Karjakin is hardly bad at it and the nature of tiebreaks somewhat randomises the result. Carlsen definitely will want to win the match outright, he has little incentive to play bloodless draws in the next two games.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Novice question:

Both of these guys have put extensive time into preparing opening lines. Is it possible someone has prepared a really obscure line that they saved for their final White side match? Or would they have used some new "find" in an earlier game?

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Would be a shame if you lost the match before you could use your super duper prep though?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Teddybear posted:

I kinda want this to go to tiebreaks because that kind of rapid fire chess and commentary seems like it'd be awesome to watch.

Yea, it's awesome. For example:
https://youtu.be/r55kzq2ME94

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zteuer posted:

Would be a shame if you lost the match before you could use your super duper prep though?

It's also really hard to find a truly new idea in an opening now that so many games are immediately public and searchable.

It's more like the players will have three stocks of openings, for if they need a win, they want to press, or they just want a safe game. All of these lines will be prepared with some degree of novelty, if only because they have to be able to anticipate their opponent's non-theoretical moves. Magnus' opening strategy, for instance, isn't to try and bury someone immediately, but rather to create a position with permanent imbalances so he can eventually outplay his opponent.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's cool to watch, but I've watched a couple of games and I kind of miss the slower games giving me the time to see at least some of what they're going for. Obviously I'll never get much more than a fraction of what Carlsen and Karjakin are trying to do, but blitz games are too quick for a bad like me to even identify what's pinning what or where there might be some holes in the defence.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
How come 1. d4, Nf6 is out of vogue? It used to be very popular on GM level because black evades symmetry from the start and gets active play.

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea, it's awesome. For example:
https://youtu.be/r55kzq2ME94

What's going on there? The clock seems to work normally until 0:02 / 0:10 and then stops.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Hand Knit posted:

He should be a heavy favourite in every format, but he doesn't seem to be playing his best right now.

Didn't see Karjakin on the FIDE rapid rankings, but isn't it possible that their rating difference is smaller in rapid/blitz than standard, making Carlsen less of a favourite?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

a cow posted:

Didn't see Karjakin on the FIDE rapid rankings, but isn't it possible that their rating difference is smaller in rapid/blitz than standard, making Carlsen less of a favourite?

Looking at 2700chess.com, the rating difference is slightly bigger in rapid. But it's difficult to say considering how out of form Carlsen has been playing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Doctor Malaver posted:

How come 1. d4, Nf6 is out of vogue? It used to be very popular on GM level because black evades symmetry from the start and gets active play.

What's going on there? The clock seems to work normally until 0:02 / 0:10 and then stops.

Looks like the clock waits a few seconds before starting to count down each time, so when they start playing moves quicker than that buffer it never gets a chance to start counting down.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

One sort of clock setting, much more common in Europe than America I think, is that instead of time added with every move, there is instead a delay before every move. The idea is that games can still play out in full (as happened in that game), but players can't build up their clock by repeating moves or playing aimlessly.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yea, it's a 2 second delay for these blitz games. You can see the delay counter on that clock on the bottom-right if you look close.

Deformed Church posted:

It's cool to watch, but I've watched a couple of games and I kind of miss the slower games giving me the time to see at least some of what they're going for. Obviously I'll never get much more than a fraction of what Carlsen and Karjakin are trying to do, but blitz games are too quick for a bad like me to even identify what's pinning what or where there might be some holes in the defence.

It's all about the hype. Leave the analysis for the post-game.

Or just sit there and have some fun (just in case you're not a fan of Fabiano Caruana yet :911:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eweEMlsiOKo

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

That's why I like rapid. A time control like 25+10 is long enough for the commentators to give some detailed analysis and the players to play a complete, reasonably good quality game. And at the same time, it's short enough to realistically watch in a single sitting and reduces the need for cricket chat during a half-hour break between moves.

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's not. It just happens to have not featured in this match yet, but in general grandmaster play it's the most common reply to 1. d4 by a wide margin.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

AnacondaHL posted:

It's all about the hype. Leave the analysis for the post-game.

Or just sit there and have some fun (just in case you're not a fan of Fabiano Caruana yet :911:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eweEMlsiOKo

They need software that displays the moves on a 2D board in real time.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I'm pretty terrible at chess, so can someone explain what Karjakin was trying to do in this move from the last game?

Why move a knight to a corner of the board where it can't do anything when it's not even under any pressure?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm also terrible at chess, but isn't this a case of making the least bad move?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Blurred posted:

I'm pretty terrible at chess, so can someone explain what Karjakin was trying to do in this move from the last game?

Why move a knight to a corner of the board where it can't do anything when it's not even under any pressure?

In slow, manoeuvring games you have time to move your pieces to the best possible squares. The knight on g6 can't do poo poo, so Karjakin's plan is to get it to h6 where it will either be able to go to g4 or, in case Magnus pushes his pawn to e5, f5.

e: Nimzowitsch-Rubenstein is probably the most famous example of rerouting your knight through a corner square.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 26, 2016

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Has my feed gone wrong or have they shifted all the pawns forward one?

Edit: yes, my app hosed up, games hasn't even started!

notaspy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 26, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

They need software that displays the moves on a 2D board in real time.

Clarification: they need better software/hardware that displays the moves in real time, because the current serial port sensor stuff they're using now is iffy.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Ugh, was hoping for something else than Ruy Lopez for once.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus seems to have a safe position very quickly. I guess he'll try to parry the kingside and then press on the queenside.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jan Gustafsson, destroyer of children.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Jan Gustafsson, destroyer of children.

The en passant demo was classic. Svidler's laugh when it happened was perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKl-uhnAeI

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Has the Sicilian defense fallen out of favor in super GM play?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Has the Sicilian defense fallen out of favor in super GM play?

I think that the Najdorf is currently in a state where the theory is so concrete that's it's too easy for either side to force a draw if they want to.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Freaking theory these days :argh:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus going for complications. Seems kinda risky.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think Jan/Svidler is quite as good a combination at commentating as Hansen/Svidler, but on the other hand Jan makes much better facial expressions

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Magnus going for complications. Seems kinda risky.

Seems like the only way for him to control the game. Someone wrote an effortpost yesterday on reddit about how Magnus wants to force Karjakin to have many choices, while Karjakin wants simple positions.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/5er244/postgame_thread_2016_world_chess_championship/dafhnsx/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

Seems like the only way for him to control the game. Someone wrote an effortpost yesterday on reddit about how Magnus wants to force Karjakin to have many choices, while Karjakin wants simple positions.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/5er244/postgame_thread_2016_world_chess_championship/dafhnsx/

This is believable. Magnus believes he is the better player, and wants to maximize his opportunities to outplay his opponents.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Game 12 and we have another Berlin. Magnus doesn't play d3, which I find mildly surprising since he does very well in it. But he played Re1 in game 3 and that turned out pretty well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Game 12 and we have another Berlin. Magnus doesn't play d3, which I find mildly surprising since he does very well in it. But he played Re1 in game 3 and that turned out pretty well.

technically that was the Re2 OTB mouseslip game :v:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

technically that was the Re2 OTB mouseslip game :v:

Haha, I was thinking about the initial Re1, not the retreat.

But yeah this game looks like it's going to be over in half an hour.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hand Knit posted:

Haha, I was thinking about the initial Re1, not the retreat.

But yeah this game looks like it's going to be over in half an hour.

"What are you going to do with the extra five hours you're gaining from this match drawing in the next 20 minutes?" "I don't know, actually."

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So if this draws, when do the tiebreaks take place? Tomorrow? Today?

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Teddybear posted:

So if this draws, when do the tiebreaks take place? Tomorrow? Today?

Wednesday I believe

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wednesday, same start time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Well, this drew. Excited for tiebreaks.

• Locked thread