Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I had an '07(?) V8 Mustang automatic in my early twenties and it was an enormous piece of poo poo except it drove kind of fast. I let my sister borrow it and she totaled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

My Man Shran posted:

Saab did some legitimately clever things to make up for their GM hellhole parts bin.

That quirky ignition location? Because they knew about the GM ignition switch poo poo and put it there to avoid straining the bad thing.

Hail satan, as the cool men of AI would say.

I have a weird sort of respect for saab because there's a reason to the madness, unlike BMW which is just "we did this because it would be more expensive" and dodge just seems to always miss the memo on everything and just coasts on "my granpappy's granpappy was a dodge man so I'm a dodge man too"

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

My Man Shran posted:

Saab did some legitimately clever things to make up for their GM hellhole parts bin.

That quirky ignition location? Because they knew about the GM ignition switch poo poo and put it there to avoid straining the bad thing.

Hail satan, as the cool men of AI would say.

Actually that predates GM and is because ignition lock cylinders tend to shatter peoples' right kneecaps in accidents

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Don't correct the false wisdom I gained from listening to bubbas bitch about GOVERNMENT MOTORS at my local tractor supply

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im waiting for the right lovely VW to turn up ill know it when i see the broken blaupunk casette deck

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pdiddle, everyone get naked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFZ7AVrfOYU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

scrubs season six posted:

I can think of 292 reasons you wouldn't be better off with just a Chevy SS.

Wrong!!

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
i had to drive a mitsubishi gallant for awhile. before then i never knew i could hate a car so much. what a piece of poo poo.

family had a dodge durango, we had a few good road trips in that thing. wouldn't buy one though.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
what's a car that's generally simple mechanically and easy to work on

none of that "remove the front fascia to replace a headlight bulb" Cadillac bullshit

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Any panther platform Ford/Merc/Lincoln (except for that crazy air suspension).

Older generation civics, probably.

Me :heysexy:

Edit: spark plugs on my current daily are an engine-out job because American cars are built to be maintainable, you see

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So wait, the Grand Prix GXP was actually FWD? That's fuckin lame as hell.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

the trump tutelage posted:

none of that "remove the front fascia to replace a headlight bulb" Cadillac bullshit

Kia Soul or Forte. Cheap, reliable, and generally easy to work on. And they're still sold with manual transmissions if that's your flavor.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Had one of these while I was in college (92 turbo) and drat was it a fun car. Snap oversteered once and that was fun, luckily didn't hit anything.

As to cars like the hellcat, focus RS etc, the big problem with them is that you're still getting a car that was designed to be cheap and cheap to make but with a bigger engine/suspension and not all that much else. I looked at an RS last month and just couldn't bring myself to pay 42k or whatever for a car with nearly the same interior as the 17k model. These beefed up versions of regular cars are so cheap compared to their rivals because of just that.

I ended up buying a CX-5 to haul crap around in and whatnot and couldn't be happier. I'll buy a dedicated second fun car for track days.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the modern mustangs are extremely roomy and it's real easy to stick your arms in all sorts of places

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I miss my '87 celica. It got me through college at well over 200k miles and was still running great except I couldn't get the loving starter to work no matter what I did. Took it to like 5 different mechanics and none of them could fix it either so I got rid of it and I've regretted it ever since.

Miss those pop up headlights :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

anything built before the late 80s or so. maybe before the 70s if you want something with pure mechanical simplicity that gives you absolute unfettered access to the engine bay without a rat's nest of hoses and wiring being in the way.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My first car was an 84 Cutlass Ciera I got by trading really lovely Seahawks season tickets in exchange back in 2001. It ran ok if I didn't go more than 30mph up hills or ever tried to drive above 55. My dad borrowed it once and thought he could drive it like a real car and blew the motor up :smith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saturns were easy to change their oil

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

TheShazbot posted:

Ford Crown Victoria

I loving love my '98 Crown Victoria. I bought it for $2500 cash a few years ago and it's up to about 185k miles now. Lately I was willing to overlook the fact that the suspension and electrical were totally hosed because it's such a boss car, then a couple months ago a tourist from Quebec rear ended the living poo poo out of me in a rented Mustang. The Mustang crumpled (and so did my rear bumper), but honestly I barely felt it when it happened.

Because I am now an adult with a career, I bought a 2017 Camry. I am growing to love it, but Zapp and Roger just don't sound as good coming out of those speakers.

Nonsense posted:

Saturns were easy to change their oil

My first car was a Saturn, and yeah it was great do it yourself car for learning how to do oil changes and brake jobs. Compared to the Crown Vic, it felt like driving around in a go-kart.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

the mercury marauder

If we're going to talk about beefed-up, bastardized versions of production cars, the correct answer would be the '94-96 Impala SS with the LT1.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

American cars are not very good but on the plus side they have generally cool tough names. "Yeah I drive a 69 TURBOEAGLE MAXIMUS what about you? Oh yeah nice "punto" lmao. Gonna save for a 9/11 T-BONE ULTRANOVA next year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

GARBAGE

NOT YET

GARBAGE

nigga crab pollock posted:

the mercury marauder

13 YEAR OLD CAR

• Locked thread