Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
goatkcd is always better than xkcd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7408

Similarly, when you see me doing things with historical-scale consequences and making it look easy, you’re not seeing the years of practice and effort I put in on the component skills (chopping wood, drawing water). Learning to write well. Learning to speak well. Getting enough grasp on what makes people tick that you know how to lead them. Learning enough about your culture that you can be a prophet, speak its deepest yearnings and its highest aspirations to it, bringing to consciousness what was unconscious before. These are learnable skills – almost certainly anyone reading this is bright enough to acquire them – but they’re not easy at all.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

How do you do it ESR, how do you keep contributing to world changing projects such as that NTP port and, idk, a mail program or whatever, and make it look so easy and also look so good doing it --A real question from a person who is absolutely not ESR

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

The only comic I read daily is goatkcd

i read heathcliff

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"🎵
I know what the hackers are thinking tonight
As home through the cyberspace they wander
Everyone smiling in secret delight
They stare at catb.org and ponder
Whatever the mailing list blows this way
You can almost hear everyone say

I wonder what esr is doing tonight?
What merriment is esr pursuing tonight?
The ideas in /esr/writings, they never burned as bright
I wonder what esr is up to tonight?
🎵"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Another thing you need to do is actually pay attention to what’s going on around you, at every scale. 99% of the time, you find important things to hack on by noticing possibilities other people have missed. The hard part here is seeing past the blinding assumptions you don’t know you have, and the hard part of that is being conscious of your assumptions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

George posted:

99% of the time, you find important things to hack on by noticing possibilities other people have missed.
isnt the vast majority of this guys contribution to nntp just "fixing" nitpicky nonissues?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

isnt the vast majority of this guys contribution to nntp just "fixing" nitpicky nonissues?

he is the principal contributor to an ntp fork that deletes ntp's useful features

:clap:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Of course he addresses himself to the "dear reader" . Of course he does

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You want to make a contribution
Yeah you know
We all want to change the world

You've got a software solution
Yeah you know
We all want to change the world

But when you talk about disruption
Well you can count me out

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

fritz posted:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7408

Getting enough grasp on what makes people tick that you know how to lead them.

who has he led. serious q

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

George posted:

yeah the jokes write themselves

drat

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

well known model villager eric s. raymon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
oh man this thread has made me so happy

gonna eq some stuff, not sure if i still know how, everyone stand back

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

seeing esr broke and begging for money makes me happy. he's a terrible person and deserves nothing but misery.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

George posted:

yeah the jokes write themselves

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

George posted:

this warms my heart

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
my thread lured out rotor

felling blessed 🙏

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hammerite posted:

the community, duh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

double ohm seven posted:

my thread lured out rotor

felling blessed 🙏

a good thread

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
wb rotor!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

wb rotor!

hello old friend, how are you?

also, on topic: esr chose not to sell his VALinux stock.

quote:

Alas, no. I was too busy trying to change the world to cash out when I should have.

and there's very few things in the world that make me happier than this. A smile of an innocent child, a babies laughter, the thought of esr having to buy generic cheerios at the supermarket.

George
Nov 27, 2004

rotor posted:

and there's very few things in the world that make me happier than this. A smile of an innocent child, a babies laughter, the thought of esr having to buy generic cheerios at the supermarket.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rotor posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

it almost sounds like you've tried to work with him or had an overlapping social circle

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

too busy changing the world to make a 5 minute call thats worth 30 million. wow!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

rotor posted:

I've come to like the trader joe's cheetos better than name brand

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

it almost sounds like you've tried to work with him or had an overlapping social circle

oh god no

power botton posted:

too busy changing the world to make a 5 minute call thats worth 30 million. wow!

I'm talkin BUSY!!!

*updates larping resume*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hammerite posted:

there's this weird split in his history of himself. cathedral and the bazaar was a groundbreaking moment that solidified the community and every hacker knew of the exact date it occurred, but it also faded into history and nobody gives a poo poo about it, which is precisely what he wanted, you see. it wasn't a so-so post-facto description of the movement, it provided the framework lens for which all new philosophies must be examined

so the entire open source movement? his leadership. but not like, visibly or anything, you plebe how could you even be so small-minded?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the cathedral and the bazaar was masturbatory wishful thinking. which is exactly what the world needed in that moment, on the cusp of the dotcom boom.

one crappy essay with no footnotes plotted a course for millions of dollars out of VC wallets and into pointless companies with no business model

in no particular order:
  • va linux
  • eazel
  • caldera linux systems
  • ximian
  • api networks
  • suse
  • cobalt systems
  • mozilla
  • progeny

esr spread manure on the seedbed for an entire generation of failed companies.

(in other words, he covered the industry in poo poo.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reminder: The ultimate fate of VALinux was to be purchased in an M&A deal by Gamestop in 2015 after a bidding war which also included Hot Topic as a potential buyer.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 14, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hot topic linux would've been cutting edge :emo:

George
Nov 27, 2004

*sings doom song but can't run doom with audio*

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

shame on an IGA posted:

Reminder: The ultimate fate of VALinux was to be purchased in an M&A deal by Gamestop in 2015 after a bidding war which also included Hot Topic as a potential buyer.

Why do companies do this, what would Hot Topic have done with VALinux

Edit: oh it became some dumb nerdcore retailer, ok thats pretty on brand

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

funko pops and twilight t-shirts are more valuable than commercial Linux

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also they paid $20/share I haven't looked into potential split/buyback history but if esr really was still autistically clenching his 150k shares he netted 3 million dollars 2 years ago

E: did he have real shares or just options to buy at 30

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 14, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shame on an IGA posted:

Also they paid $20/share I haven't looked into potential split/buyback history but if esr really was still autistically clenching his 150k shares he netted 3 million dollars 2 years ago

E: did he have real shares or just options to buy at 30

LNUX IPOed at 14.4 billion, but sold to gamestop for 140 million, 0.9% of its day one value. the best case scenario for esr was earning $300k.

given the many, many weird mergers they executed over the years i bet he got less than that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah va linux did a 1:10 reverse split in 2006 when they were named "geeknet"

so esr's best-case payout was $30k, not $300k :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
esr seems bad

• Locked thread