Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Zoe posted:

I bought this years ago while it was still pretty early access. It looked promising then and I loved the art and aesthetic, I just kind of forgot about it until now. Only a few updates in but this thread has been fun so far. I do believe I'll start up a new game over the weekend.

Well, I'm very pleased I've inspired you to pick the game back up, and hope you enjoy yourself with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cat Mattress posted:

Researching habitat domes is a priority for settling on Wreemit and Taribor. It would also allow settling on various other planets where the Phidi cannot send colony ships yet, but where the Human and Haduir populations would thrive.

The Wrem, in particular, due to their capacity (in fact, requirement) to live in airless worlds would be perfect citizens for the various 'iceball' worlds.

On the diplomacy front, it would be interesting to find a reasonably small and unsuccessful empire. Allying with a minor partner is a good way to have them eventually join the empire peacefully. (And since this game mechanic is based on comparative ratio between both empire's population and military strength, it can have a cascading effect. In a game where I had alliances with two other empires, after rapid expansion , I reached the tipping point for the smaller of my allies, who offered to merge. Their added population and fleet led to the other ally to offer to merge on the following turn. Two other empires were, later, offered an alliance, which caused them to merge on the turn after the alliance was signed. It's basically being the Blob, but in a diplomatic way; and that's an approach that's perfectly fitting for the Phidi, what with their Opil and their preference for non-violence.) From this point of view, an alliance with the remnants of the Gremak empire would make sense, though it may be hard to set in RP, and there's the issue of acquiring a good enough reputation with them for this scenario to unfold.

Another thing I've found: if you buy slaves from a Gremak marauder, then liberate the slaves, you can get a bigger morale bonus from liberating them than the morale penalty from buying them. That's because you get one single morale penalty for buying them, while you get a separate, stacking bonus for each unit of enslaved population that you free. Though freeing slaves does not negate the diplomacy reputation hit that you get from the empire of the slaves' race; but even that can be offset if they then approach you to make you promise not to buy slaves anymore and you agree to their request.

We can actually colonise the other planets that require an initial Human population by the simple expedient of loading the colony ship with Humans; you'll see that when I can push the update out. As far as 'reasonably small empires' go, the Republican Union may be a good candidate, although this will have diplomatic implications with maintaining our relations with the Human High Command- the Republican Union, as noted, is only a four-planet power at the moment. And integrating the Republican Union will certainly do less violence to the Charter than trying to make accommodations for the Gremak Empire.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Suggestion: grab this mod.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Explosions posted:

...truly, are we any better than the Gremak or the Tinkers? Yes.

nweismuller posted:

Our inaction thus far- through technology we have yet to develop- is hardly a moral fault on the order of the Gremak, friend!

I don’t think you’re actually disagreeing here!

Glad to see this LP updating again; looking forward to more friendship.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wait, planet Dirt? Did you just find a far-future Second Ice Age Earth?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Polaron posted:

Wait, planet Dirt? Did you just find a far-future Second Ice Age Earth?

Dirt is the (unimaginatively-named) homeworld of the Lummox, with the rest of the system showing no evidence of being like the Sol system- for one thing, Sol is definitely no red dwarf. Where the Human home system might be remains mysterious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Humans, their legends say, come from a solar system with eight planets. Some versions even claim nine! This is absurd, as extensive survey of the reachable stars of the galaxy shows that four planets is the maximum.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
... with war ongoing between the Republican Union of Eshar and the Human High Command and with tensions over High Command claims on Splendor continuing to escalate with the Combine government, many have begun to wonder whether the peace the Combine has thus far enjoyed will be threatened by a necessity to choose sides in an active conflict. Leaks from within the government indicate that plans to formalise an alliance with Orthin Conference have begun to be reconsidered in the light of revelation of Conference territorial ambitions on Yoral Khaganate territory. Can the Combine keep the peace? We at Soru News pray that the Combine can maintain the peace we now enjoy.

- Soru News (a holding of Soru Mercantile Company) broadcast on Tendao

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The situation between the Human High Command and the Republican Union may well eventually force the Combine to choose sides, and- unlike a choice between the Orthin and the Gremak- which side to favor is not necessarily blatantly obvious. Favoring the High Command may help stabilise relations, which have suffered under the continuing dispute over Splendor's sovereignty, while favoring the Republican Union may lay the groundwork for a new alliance with a power that would unquestionably be the junior partner in the arrangement.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Humans, their legends say, come from a solar system with eight planets. Some versions even claim nine! This is absurd, as extensive survey of the reachable stars of the galaxy shows that four planets is the maximum.

Oh come on, that's long since been debunked as just a myth. Do you think it's a coincidence that these supposed planets all have the same names as prehistoric Human gods? It is fascinating however from a xenthropology point of view.

(Best not mention this to the Humans, though. They're a bit touchy about their origins, poor things.)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The Human High Command can suck tailfin. The very fact they'd even have the gall to ask for Splendour to be handed over to them was bad enough, then they made a show of being affronted by the refusal of such an outrageous request? They were nowhere in sight when members of their own species were fighting for their very existence, and yet once things were improved and the Spendids had entered a new golden age they wanted to just swoop in and claim the fruit's of the Combine's labor for themselves. We have no reason to turn our backs on a society of perfectly okay reptile sorts and potential customers over some idea of making 'amends' with aliens who were being completely unreasonable to begin with it.

If it comes down to it and we have to choose, the lizard guys are just as useful as the monkey guys for all practical purposes, and far more respectful.

Besides that, we already have a whole world full of much more intelligent monkey guys that agree that we're right.

(Also, I saw mention of a SMAC LP a few pages back. Can I get a link? I like the OP's style and that seems like it would be good reading in between updates.)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 21, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Zoe posted:

(Also, I saw mention of a SMAC LP a few pages back. Can I get a link? I like the OP's style and that seems like it would be good reading in between updates.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695372 is the forum archive thread. https://lparchive.org/Sid-Meiers-Alpha-Centauri-(by-nweismuller)/ is the lparchive.org archive, if you don't have forum archive access. There was a lot of interesting thread participation in the forum archive that doesn't show up in the lparchive.org archive, but if you don't have archives access on your SA account, it's a backup. I am also responsible for two completed Master of Orion 2 LPs, a Master of Magic LP, and a number of abortive LP starts, two of which got far enough they might actually be interesting (if you don't mind them petering out due to either screwing up the save for Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars, and the release of Stellaris: Megacorp providing new applicability to what I was doing in Stellaris- Stellaris now waiting for the tech end of my small mods to get his stress down enough to get my modding up to date, and the current SiS LP to finish, before I restart a Stellaris LP). I can give links to anything I've done, if you wish.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 21, 2019

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I would side with the Humans if we must. They seem like they would have better long term trading potential.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

cokerpilot posted:

I would side with the Humans if we must. They seem like they would have better long term trading potential.

This. Money speaks loudest, and we must ally with whoever seems like they would make us more money in the long run, if we indeed must pick a side.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoe posted:

Nweis got you the links, but let me recommend the SMAC LP with the highest of praise that I can. As great as Nweis is at writing libertarian capitalist utopias, that thread had so many people coming together and essentially RPing in Nweis's imagination. It really was a sight to behold. It's what got me so excited to do the story posts in this LP.

I saw that quantum computing is an available research. I'm going to be putting up a nice lorepost for both starting that research and completing it.

That does bring up something about SMAC that made it far more open for loreposting compared to SiS. Nweis used blind research in SMAC, and for lore purposes, the thread treated meeting the prerequisites of a tech as starting research on it, and completing research as completing research. The two centuries (or something like that) of angst related to the inability to unlock a certain tech was such fodder for loreposting.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

That does bring up something about SMAC that made it far more open for loreposting compared to SiS. Nweis used blind research in SMAC, and for lore purposes, the thread treated meeting the prerequisites of a tech as starting research on it, and completing research as completing research. The two centuries (or something like that) of angst related to the inability to unlock a certain tech was such fodder for loreposting.

Gartner's ghost will continue to haunt us all, tormented by his inability to achieve what he set forth to do.

E: I also have to say, the level of people 'RPing in my imagination' in the SMAC LP was great. I haven't caught that again with this LP, but I still hold out hopes for more participation- and the in-character arguments over the current diplomatic issues actually have made me smile. Everybody who contributes in that way has my thanks, for helping to make my day better. :)

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 22, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
In not-directly-related-to-the-LP space 4X news, I have been experimenting somewhat with Predestination. It has some interesting, and, to my experience, unique planetary management decisions that I nonetheless am having difficulty convincing myself are good decisions- but seeing the experiment, at least, has been intriguing. Planetary management is based on establishing cities (up to a certain limit on cities per planet) on a planetary hex map, each city then able to serve as a hub for 'infrastructure' establishments which are worked by the city's population- chief amongst which are farms, ore processors, and power plants. Each city then also has a space limited hex map of itself in which internal city buildings, which assist resource processing from infrastructure (such as food processors, which aid farms or factories, which aid ore processors), provide more resource storage, increase the total population that can eventually live in the city, provide health or security services for the growing planetary population, or are research labs that are the primary source of research. This supports a more extended 'pre-warp' stage of the game, wherein one develops one's initial planet.

I've mostly, thus far, been tinkering with the pre-warp stage, and mulling over my thoughts on the planetary management- and being amused by the 'story mission' introduction of the Kazzir, peaceful (if utterly media-obsessed) cat people united by the 'Zaibatsu Entertainment Network'. Their factional leader, and I do not exaggerate, is introduced as an ace reality-show dogfighter, explorer, multiple 'gold belt' in martial arts, philanthropist, and President of ZEN, as ZEN is rolling out the first example of the 'megacity project' on the Kazzir homeworld. In first contact between the Kazzir and the United Colonies of Earth, a rather arrogant technocratic government, the UCE leadership is profoundly unimpressed by the Kazzir.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stars in Shadow is 70% off on steam.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That president sounds like a combination of Donald Trump and Steven Seagal, and it's making me laugh.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Starting on the SMAC LP was a Very Good Decision. Takes me back to the best of the Dwarf Fortress collaborative thingies, which were what got me to join this forum in the first place. Some incredible work from everybody so far and I'm only on page 12.

Of course the difference in the level of participation might just come down to a much greater number of posters being familiar with the ends and outs of SMAC lore, and humans colonizing a hostile planet just being easier to write about than sea horses, perhaps.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Zoe posted:

Starting on the SMAC LP was a Very Good Decision. Takes me back to the best of the Dwarf Fortress collaborative thingies, which were what got me to join this forum in the first place. Some incredible work from everybody so far and I'm only on page 12.

Of course the difference in the level of participation might just come down to a much greater number of posters being familiar with the ends and outs of SMAC lore, and humans colonizing a hostile planet just being easier to write about than sea horses, perhaps.

I just got to the discussion between Zakharov and Godwinson on the nature of the bulk matter transmitter.
:perfect:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
As far as that LP goes, the participation was great, of course. But the reaction 'Holy crap, everybody is a talent.' will forever echo in my memory. What you can do for overall quality of life for the populace as Morgan with Free Market in that game is just awesome. And I had great fun playing as Morgan- expedited by the game's assumption that lets a single leader stick around for the entire game.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
A Seed in the Deepest Dark

The fragile peace which had come to the local region of space with the end of the war between the Gremak Empire and Orthin Conference in CSY 3371 came to an abrupt end in CSY 3400- only 29 Tendao years or 5 Fargone reckoning years later. The Orthin Conference, citing the threat the Tinkers posed to all independent intelligences as attested by their treatment of the Humans in their borders, declared war on the Tinkers, mobilising their fleets against this cybernetic monastic collective.

As the first actions of this war began, researchers in the Combine succeeded in overcoming the challenges of scaling up current coilgun technology to heavier weapons that could be effective over longer ranges, Hauna Armaments, a Mehu-based firm, beginning production on the first heavy coilguns in CSY 3404. The Combine Space Security Fleet made an order for the first fullscale Combine capital ship, the Just, as these weapons began production- a ship that should provide effective long-range fire support for existing CSSF destroyers. Construction began in orbit over Mehu.

A project build more powerful active tachyon sensors to probe the contents of hyperspace began in CSY 3402, seeking to verify or disprove the hypothesis that 'bubbles' of realspace might be folded entirely within hyperspace- as the math currently used to describe hyperspace suggests that such bubbles of realspace could remain stable and safe amidst the energetic chaos of hyperspace. As this project was ongoing, a space ray of previously unknown type arrived in orbit over Splendor in CSY 3410.

This new variety of space ray was larger and more heavily-armed than the previously-encountered space ray variants, even the soldier ray, and encrusted with a thick layer of carbonaceous armor. Deep within the new space ray, an organ showing evidence of both being a source of tachyon transmissions and structure like a neural processing element was unique amongst the space rays thus far encountered. As panic began to set in on Splendor, the populace fearing they would be cut off from the greater Combine, this new space ray began radio transmissions- encoding a message in perfectly comprehensible, if rather cryptic Standard Combine language.

The space ray presented a puzzling statement. The Phidi investigation of hyperspace had been noted by 'dwellers in hyperspace' the ray called the 'Arda Seed', of which it was the 'Herald', a construct created for interaction with other civilisations. The Herald presented a stern warning that trespassing on the anomalies in hyperspace would be met with 'a foul harvest', but that observation of its warnings could lead to amicable cooperation. Combine representatives on Splendor, eager for friendship, declared their willingness for profitable cooperation, at which point the Herald explained that the Arda Seed had great stores of knowledge that they would be willing to trade in exchange for industrial metals- for, by this trade, Arda Seed mining operations in realspace would be less necessary. The Combine officials involved in the negotiation began to develop the creeping suspicion that the space rays thus far encountered were constructs developed to mine systems in realspace, or security units dispatched to protect ongoing mining operations- and that earlier Combine actions had inadvertently been destroying the property of members of a far more advanced civilisation.

When they attempted to explain their earlier clashes with space rays, the Herald, characteristically cryptic, explained that 'thus far no warning had been given and the actions of surface-dwellers were taken in innocence, but the Phidi Combine continues no longer in ignorance; be warned.'

The Herald remained on station at Splendor for nearly three Combine standard years, while Combine negotiators shipped vast quantities of metal to the construct in exchange for any information it had to offer. Designs for effective space-based missile systems suitable both for anti-ship use and point defense were interesting, although CSSF analysts had concerns about the vulnerability of a missile-based doctrine to layered point defense. Designs for station architecture to be built into towed asteroids were primarily a curiousity. Some clarification of the physics of hyperspace, however, were genuinely valuable, while the description of a neural implant that could be used to induce a limited state of suggestibility in individuals the implanted individual spoke with seemed to be indicative of- thus far considered ridiculous- 'psionic' capabilities, although the theory that would make sense of the mechanisms of these implants was utterly opaque to current Phidi science. With the transactions complete, the Herald called in a lumbering 'Warden' container ray from the nearest anomaly, hauling its vast load of metal back deep into hyperspace, promising that it would once again meet with the Combine for advantageous cooperation at some point in the future as it left the system in CSY 3413.

The Herald sells standard technologies for metal, which you immediately discover. It will also sell 'codices' that unlock new technologies for research, although you must pursue the research yourself. Even if the technologies on offer are not immediately useful, every purchase you make from the Herald boosts your relations with the Arda Seed, which will help make more technologies available on subsequent visits and discount the price in metal you must pay. On the other hand, once you encounter the Herald, the Arda Seed will begin taking note of you destroying Star Harpy units, which will begin degrading your relations with them. Mercifully, they do not hold destruction of their mindless Star Harpy units against you before you know they belong to them. The Asteroid Bases technology is currently mostly useless, as the 'debris field' special needed to use it is not currently randomly generated on planets- it will only show up on two major faction homeworlds. There are plans to fix this, probably when the planned major update to terraforming mechanics is worked on.

By CSY 3415, the deep scans of hyperspace were complete, and it became clear that a series of six pockets of realspace were arranged in a ring at the center of the pocket of space within which the warp lanes operated, and that the warp lanes themselves appeared to be assembled in a mass around these central nodes. The earlier hypothesis that the warp lanes were artificial constructs appeared to be confirmed- a vast project to permit effective faster-than-light travel in this small portion of the galaxy, engineered by the mysterious 'Arda Seed'. Why the warp lanes should have collapsed during the Great War, effectively bringing it to an end and plunging the region into a dark age it was only now recovering from, remained unknown, however, as did any real knowledge of the society, history, or full capabilities of the Arda Seed.

Although it had become clear that the space rays were manufactured and used by the Arda Seed, the earlier evidence that the space rays encountered in realspace had no real intelligence of their own was proved in a tragic encounter at the Solanar system early in CSY 3417. The Curiousity, which had probed the unknown for over 900 Tendao years of service, encountered a space ray operation in the system, which including standard mining rays, a pair of soldier rays, and two new varieties of space rays- a larger unarmored variety that was later speculated to be responsible for the mass of eggs established on a nesting asteroid, and many smaller space rays that were, possibly, juvenile versions of space rays. Although the Curiousity was able to launch a communications probe with recordings of its last hours, the Curiousity itself never left Solanar, having been reflexively engaged and destroyed by the soldier rays before it could jump back out into hyperspace.

Later in the year, studies commissioned by the CSSF to develop effective targeting and command and control networks for global arrays of ground-based weapon systems that could effectively engage targets in orbit were completed, marking the beginning of an expensive program to establish ground-based defenses on every inhabited world of the Combine. It was increasingly clear that although the people of the Combine might wish for peace, peace might not be guaranteed in the tense regional political landscape, and that the Combine's obligation to preserve the lives, liberty, and property of its citizen-clients would demand an effective defensive infrastructure to discourage potential enemies.

In CSY 3429, the Human High Command approached the Phidi Combine, seeking ratification of a supply and mail service treaty between the High Command and the Combine. The Combine, eager to extend its horizons and the horizons of its citizen-clients, agreed.

Although an AI must have at least Polite relations with you for you to request an open ports treaty, in exchange for a fairly significant influence outlay, they only need to be neutral to eventually consider the idea themselves. If you turn them down, however, they will not repeat the offer.

Shortly thereafter, in CSY 3431, the Combine established a colony on the frozen planet Toa in the Deneb system. It became clear that the Human barbarians who had once inhabited Deneb had attempted to establish a colony on Toa no later than Pre-Standard Year 14000, within the first few thousand years after the Great War. A major shipyard complex had been constructed around the planet, perhaps in an effort to re-build colony ships in the hopes of finding a more hospitable planet. Unfortunately for the Denebian Humans, there was evidence that the shipyards were destroyed by violence within about 300 Tendao years of their construction, and the planetary settlements bombarded, probably by some elements of the Denebian Humans themselves. Following the bombardment, the only surviving Denebian Humans lived a spaceborne existence, slowly regressing further and further into barbarism.

The wreckage of the Toa shipyard proved all that was necessary to complete the engineering already underway by Combine firms to develop large-scale shipyards of their own. Much more than the relatively simple space stations previously used by the Combine, this shipyards were massive industrial facilities bringing together assembly slipways, warehousing, engineering labs, workshops for ship components, and sufficient housing and recreation for the workforce who would operate the shipyards. Although the initial capital cost of these shipyards would be steep, they could greatly speed shipbuilding, and shipbuilding consortia on both Mehu and Surao promptly began construction of their own orbital shipyards.

Shipyards cost a very large amount of metal, but reduce ship labor costs at their planet to 70% of normal, greatly accelerating shipbuilding. (Which further increases metal consumption...) This makes them invaluable tools for speeding shipbuilding as the game goes on and the need for freighters, warships, and colony ships increases.

In CSY 3433, a scout ship drawing supply from the Yoral Khaganate made first contact with the Phidi Combine at Sebarsk. This ship, as it proved, was crewed by Ashdar Teros from the 'Republican Union of Eshar', a splinter state from the old Ashdar Empire that had established its own multistellar polity since the restoration of the warp lanes. The Haduir of Sebarsk and the Teros of the scout were mutually delighted to learn of each other, although there was a brief interlude of confusion when the scout crew learned that the Combine that Sebarsk was a member of was not a primarily Ashdar state, as they had first assumed on contact with Sebarsk.

Negotiations were rapidly opened between the Combine and the Republican Union, which was governed by a Senate elected by military veterans and wealthy citizens, which then selected a Praetor as the chief executive of the Republican Union. On behalf of the people and the Senate of Eshar, the Praetor accepted Combine overtures of exchange of ambassadors, the opening of borders to commercial traffic, and approval of scientific collaboration between researchers in either state, bringing these treaties to the Senate for ratification. Discussions with Republican Union ambassadors also made it clear that the Republican Union was in friendly contact with the Ashdar Empire itself, which, despite the famine that had nearly destroyed civilisation on Ashdar Prime after the warp lanes closed, was once again a multi-stellar empire under a Haduir Imperator ruling with the support and consent of the aristocracy of the Imperial Senate.

As news of the survival of the Ashdar Empire spread amongst the inhabitants of Sebarsk, many of the Haduir of that world began to question what the honorable and correct course for Sebarsk now was. They had pledged themselves to the Combine, but were they not truly Imperial? Had the decision to seek alien protection been the proper course? The world continued on in an orderly fashion, but confusion was growing amidst its people, and the Senate of Sebarsk was plunged into deep and acrimonious debates.

Combine ambassadors on Eshar, the capital world of the Republican Union, reported that it was a garden world whose ecology was dominated by descendants of Ashdar Prime organisms, which had largely displaced the primitive native life. The world, which had once hosted a major Imperial fleet base during the Great War, had suffered massive bombardment that drove its population to the brink of extinction and left cratering that was still visible on the surface. The Haduir population of Eshar did not survive this bombardment, but the Teros on Eshar eventually reconstituted their civilisation. Eshar hosted a productive industrial base, vast agriculture, and notable mining and research enterprises, as well as supporting populations of all three species within the Republican Union- the Teros themselves, along with the primitive aquatic Threshers and the highly-intelligent desert Spice Monger crustaceans.

The Yoral Khaganate, which had by this time largely recovered from its losses in its previous war against the Human High Command, Orthin Conference, and Tinkers, once again declared war on the Human High Command in CSY 3438. Once again the fleets of the Khaganate were mobilised to bring glory and victory to its Khagan.

A year following this outbreak of war, in CSY 3439, the Republican Union approached the Phidi Combine seeking aid. The Republican Union wished to assemble an emergency stockpile of food on Eshar, suitable to serve its needs for some years in the event of bombardment destroying their fields. Although the Republican Union had secure food supplies for its normal needs, the demands of this project were beyond its agricultural capacity, and it begged this aid of the Combine as an act of simple friendship towards a people seeking security in the event of war. The Combine, eager to place the Republican Union in its debt, financed the food purchases out of personal contributions from its member merchant princes, bestowing these supplies in a grandiose gesture of largess.

Events can occur where a state asks your aid with money, metal, or food- these are an excellent resource for a game focused on diplomacy, getting you additional influence and improved relations with another power that don't require any compromises with your relations with anybody else. Given the tensions that occur with external wars, you'll want anything you can get to keep people happy despite you trading with both sides.

Although the Phid Combine had possessed basic counter-grav technology as far back as the invention of the Anysus star drive- both implications of the same breakthroughs in physics- counter-grav had remained limited to shipboard gravity generation and acceleration compensation, as artificial graviton generation was thus far considered impossible in the face of the interference from strong natural gravity fields. In 3446, that changed with the aid of the increasingly refined models of gravitational physics developed through the study of the behavior of tachyons. With counter-grav generators that could now be effectively installed even within strong natural gravity fields, lifting large masses against gravity became much simpler and more cost-effective, aiding in construction, in lifting of materials to orbit, and in the development of armored vehicles with effective flight capability. Heavy tanks with the speed, maneuverability, and flexibility of previous aircraft that could drop to operate at surface level to reduce their target profile and flying artillery frigates that could bombard enemy troops at extreme range from an elevated position promised to revolutionise surface warfare.

The Human High Command approached the Combine government in CSY 3451, seeking for the Combine to commit to the High Command's war against the Yoral Khaganate. The Combine's leadership, reluctant to be dragged into a foreign conflict- especially in support of a foreign government that continued to assert claims on Combine territory- refused, which the High Command leadership reacted to with disappointment.

In CSY 3453, the Republican Union of Eshar, in honor of its friendship with the Ashdar Empire, entered the war against the Human High Command, even as they negotiated a fueling, mail, and supply treaty with the Combine, an agreement which extended Combine reach across the entire length of the space accessible by the warp lanes. This brought it to the attention of Combine leadership that the Yoral Khaganate had already convinced the Ashdar Empire to declare war against the High Command shortly after the start of their war.

The Human High Command, although it had failed to involve the Phidi Combine in its war, nonetheless at least sought Phidi diplomatic support against the Khaganate's aggression. In CSY 3462, the Human High Command demanded that the Combine denounce the Khaganate and break off diplomatic relations and trade. The Combine, which was not unsympathetic to the Human defense against aggression, agreed to this demand, which helped stabilise Phidi relations with the High Command.

A year after this, in CSY 3463, the Inquiry, the last remaining non-military scout vessel of the Combine, arrived at the Acrux system, where they discovered the world controlled by the Black Broadswords, Loghara. Loghara was an ocean world orbiting a tidally-locked gas giant around the red dwarf Acrux, hosting a significant population of Gremak and the Human slaves their ancestors had taken during the Great War. As with other slave populations on the splinter worlds of the Gremak Empire, any independent cultural identity or memory of freedom had been long since lost, although the Humans of Loghara had yet to have the independence entirely bred out of them, as that Enfi had.

The Human border system of Shaula, containing the colony world of Sapphire, fell to Yoral fleets and Yoral armies after relatively light fighting on the surface in CSY 3470. Despite the High Command being at war with three separate enemy states, nonetheless most of its actual combat had been with the Yoral Khaganate, and they had been resisting valiantly against superior force.

By CSY 3479, the Bold, the last of the first production run of CSSF cruisers, cleared the slipways at Mehu. The shipyards of Mehu were turned towards assembling modified superfreighters with armor and shielding and converted cargo areas to haul entire surface assault groups. Many of the other factories on Mehu were turned full-time to the construction of armor, artillery, small arms, equipment, and ammunition, while recruits from Mehu and beyond were gathered in the first large-scale expeditionary forces of the Combine. Humans and Haduir enlisted in numbers disproportionate to their portion of the population of the Combine, and only approximately half of the expeditionary forces were made up of Phidi.

The war between the Orthin Conference and the Tinkers came to an inconclusive end in CSY 3490. Although both sides had suffered losses in space, particularly the Tinkers, neither side gained or lost any territory in the war. The Orthin Conference declared the war a victory, in that the losses to the Tinker fleet would at least delay the point where the Tinkers would be an intolerable threat to the Orthin Conference.

The sterile ocean world in the Yaluk system was colonised and dubbed 'Ponna' by Phidi colonists in CSY 3492. Sebarsk was now not the only colonised planet in the Yaluk system, which allowed for more contact between Phidi and Haduir, deepening the friendship between the two peoples.

The Inquiry discovered another ancient hulk in the outer reaches of the desolate Regulus system in CSY 3502, this one fairly clearly an Ashdar merchant vessel. Although there was little interesting technology on the freighter, the hold still contained a large intact shipment of superconductive fiber which could be salvaged and repurposed.

The growing sophistication of the Combine's economy, its increasingly complex society, and its vast population of citizen-clients gave both the demand for more sophisticated market analysis, personnel management, and urban management tools, and the body of data necessary to develop these tools. Studies commissioned by merchant princes, corporations, and the Combine itself slowly refined methods of management, helping support more efficient operations and denser development with fewer deadweight losses, until, by CSY 3509, it was difficult to deny the positive economic effect of the improvement in management practises and market analysis, at least on the larger Combine worlds New businesses found niches or existing businesses expanded, while unemployment rates within the Combine continued to drop.

Adaption of existing faster-than-light sensor systems that had been developed via study of tachyon behavior laid the basis for true faster-than-light communications, with the first hyperspace communications arrays unveiled in CSY 3517. Although the first prototypes had limited bandwidth, nonetheless for the first time messages could be transmitted without the use of a courier or a communications probe, allowing ships under way to remain in communication with planetbound populations. Work immediately began on improving the efficiency of hyperspace communications, in an effort to establish a true FTL communications network that would no longer require the constant use of physical mail ships.

The Human High Command's assertion of sovereignty over Splendor was not forgotten, and, in CSY 3521, they once again forcefully demanded that the Combine surrender Splendor to the High Command's control. The Combine once again refused to compromise on this point, noting that the Splendids had never been under High Command authority at any point in either Splendid or Fargone history, that Splendor was now home to a significant Phidi community firmly committed to the Combine, and that the Splendids themselves were long-since loyal and patriotic citizen-clients of the Combine, partners in the Combine's prosperity and committed to the principles of the Combine Charter. The High Command backed down, but relations were further strained by this continuing sore point between the two states.

The Inquiry made contact with yet another Gremak splinter state formed by an isolated military unit from the Great War in CSY 3531 in the Azimir system. The Gremak of 'Okanin's Irregulars' ruled over a slave population of Ashdar dating from the Great War, supplemented by more recent Human captures from High Command space. As was thus far standard policy for the Combine, the Combine agreed to pay Okanin's Irregulars an ongoing tribute in exchange for peace.

A year later, in CSY 3532, the first new colony in Combine space initially populated by Humans was established on the arid, lifeless world of Motherlode in the Pollux system. Mining operations were immediately opened on Pollux, extracting its great wealth in gold and platinum to be applied to industrial and artistic applications within the Combine.

The Precious Metals on Motherlode, as previously noted when we first scouted Pollux, grant a five coin income bonus along with the metal income of any mine on Motherlode. Although Motherlode won't produce as much metal income as Eluz or Splendor with its mines, focusing it on mining will still get a fair metal income along with quite a respectable coin income.

The work by Combine scientists, engineers, and investors to refine hyperspace communications and bind the Combine together by a true FTL communications network bore fruit by CSY 3538. Although the bandwidth for interstellar connections was still restricted and expensive compared to in-system networks, nonetheless swift and efficient interstellar communications helped greatly increase cultural interconnectivity and the efficiency of supply chains within the Combine, with a concomitant industrial expansion.

The ship cost discount is 25% of base cost. This stacks multiplicatively with the 30% discount to labor cost for ships built at a shipyard, for a total discount of 47.5% to labor costs for shipbuilding at worlds with shipyards.

Even as Combine interstellar network providers were rolling out service across the Combine, the Orthin Conference approached the Combine government in CSY 3539 with a new proposal: that the Orthin Conference and the Phidi Combine join together in a strike against the militarily-aggressive government of the Yoral Khaganate. Although Combine policymakers were reluctant to commit to engaging in an offensive war against a major galactic power, many amongst those same policymakers had already been seriously discussing the possibility of a full and formal alliance with the Orthin Conference, and that fact that the Yoral Khaganate had already been implicated in several attempted wars of conquest weighed on their minds. Debates raged in the highest halls of power within the Combine.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Phidi Combine and Known Space as of CSY 3542

Tendao's population has stabilised at about 18.8 billion Phidi, with the local population able to afford any luxury save the luxury of raising families, with labor in high demand and rents on living space having increased to their highest levels in living memory. An even greater bulk of trade passes through the spaceports of Tendao, its light industries are more productive and employ more people, and the real incomes of its people are higher than ever before. Despite the immense demand for new urban space, enough large-scale aquaculture still persists on Tendao to feed the bulk of its population, encouraged by the continued demand pressures on the Combine food supply. High-level research projects conducted within the laboratories and universities of Tendao ensure that it is the single largest engine of innovation in known space. On Tendao, as with most of the worlds of the Combine, a new network of defensive weapons installations has been completed across the surface, mounting powerful coilgun batteries capable of firing deep into orbit.

Emigration from Nuo has ensured that its population has remained almost static over the past years. The planet, although prosperous enough, is now an essentially unremarkable world within the Combine, with neither its light industries, its mining and metals industry, or its research campuses being major leaders in Combine space- one reason why much of its population has sought new opportunity elsewhere as chance has presented it. As on Tendao, defensive weapons installations help secure Nuo.

The population of Eluz has continued to grow slowly, helping spur a notable improvement in local economic output as local light industries and corporate offices have been better able to staff themselves from a larger labor base. Much of the increase in productivity has been absorbed by the tax burden needed to support new planetary defenses on Eluz, however.

Onni, despite its relatively small population- which has, by now, stabilised at about 6.6 billion Phidi- remains the second most important center of research and innovation within the Combine. Laboratories and technical workshops continue their unceasing labor on new wonders, while the general population prospers, secure beneath the aegis of new planetary defenses.

Under the pressure of huge waves of emigration, primarily to Mehu, Splendor's population has actually shrunk by over a billion over the past 150 years. The mining and metals refining industries of Splendor are, if anything, even more productive than before, while light industries, consumer services, and average incomes on the planet have steadily risen. Population growth has slowed and construction of new cities has become less frenetic, which has moderated the general sense of optimism amongst the local Human populations- although this has been at least partially compensated by the higher average incomes supporting increased consumer spending here. Planetary defenses are now in place here.

We lose the City Planning morale bonus for Humans, but at least gain another Market's worth of morale to mitigate the loss for them. The Phidi here, on the other hand, experience pure gain.

Phoron, between massive population growth- from 8.5 billion to 14.9 billion- and increasing industrial output and trade, has seen immense economic growth over the past 150 years, with a happier and more productive population than ever before. Despite the great increase in local consumption, Phoron's great food exports remain nearly as high as ever, helping supply the ever-growing population of the Combine, while planetary security is ensured by new ground-based defenses.

Surao has specialised as the primary center of civilian shipbuilding in the Combine, but finance, light industry, and aquaculture have all also seen significant growth over the past 150 years, increasing local incomes and ensuring the planet remains a net exporter of food despite its heavy industrialisation and large population- now over 17.7 billion. Work is nearly completed here on a new colony ship to be delivered to a colonisation consortium dominated by Humans being organised on Mehu. As elsewhere, Surao's new planetary defenses help guarantee planetary security.

You can unload the population initially loaded on a colony ship and dispatch it elsewhere to pick up population of another sort, if you wish. Mehu has been tied up with our military industry, but is where I wish to pick up the Humans to colonise new arid worlds in our space.

The growth of the Haduir population on Sebarsk to over 7 billion has bolstered the productivity of local light industries, and the population remains materially-satisfied. The news of the survival of the Ashdar Empire, however, has created a current of unease in the local population, who, despite the great gulf of time separating them from the Empire, still treasure their ancestral connection to the Empire. The Senate of Sebarsk has been consumed in debates between pro-Imperial 'Loyalists' and pro-Combine 'Freemen'.

The light industries of Mehu that specialise in providing precision industrial tools and instruments for export across the Combine have expanded, bringing greater imports that have driven increased consumer spending here. Massive immigration of all three species of the Combine has nearly doubled the planetary population, to over 16.3 billion, now split between Phidi, Humans, and Haduir. The planet's heavy industries are the center of all military and security manufacturing in the Combine, providing weapons, shields, armor, vehicles, and other equipment for the CSSF, for the new Expeditionary Forces, for local Combine security forces, and for civilian markets for sporting and self-defense. The orbital shipyard is nearly ready to commission another troopship, fully-loaded with recruits and the equipment needed to supply them, while local military manufacturing has ensured the development of its own planetary defenses.

Emua's population has grown to over 5.8 billion, still employed in a respectably prosperous economy of aquaculture, light industry, and trade. Relatively modest aquacultural surpluses continue to be exported from the planet, while rapid urban development continues to help support its population growth. Planetary defenses have been established to secure the planet.

Establishment of a network of modern universities and laboratories, population growth from immigration and natural increase, and the Combine-wide program of fortification have been the primary changes on Anhi over the past 150 years. The luxury industries here, although highly-profitable, have had continuing problems with staffing, leaving the planet's employers desperately hungry for new labor.

Since its colonisation, Toa has seen immigration bolster its population, while light industries are supported by modest sealed-environment aquaculture and research campuses. Although planetary defenses here are still under construction, the Deneb system is far from any potential enemies, and the local population has little concern that their vulnerability shall be a problem.

Despite the sterile environment of Ponna, the massive increase in food demand in the Combine over the past 150 years has encouraged the development of a fairly sizeable aquacultural industry here, alongside light industry, research, trade, and a very modest metals industry using deep-sea robotics. Demand for more labor is almost ubiquitous in Ponna's industries, and cities are being expanded with new living space as fast as construction firms can keep up.

The initial Human colonists of Motherlode have established the first mining and refining industries here, while consumer electronics and metalwork industries are rapidly growing. A wave of Phidi colonisation from Nuo has sought new opportunity here, aided by Human colonists doing the work to dig out artificial city-lakes under the surface under conditions that would be lethally-dangerous for Phidi workers.

With Human colonists to set up the initial colony, we can send Phidi here, despite Phidi being unable to set up new colonies here on their own. The Phidi colonists are naturally reliant on outdoor labor done by the Humans that cannot be effectively performed by Phidi.

A massive number of fields present potentially fruitful progress to Combine researchers- not least new applications made possible by effective FTL communication networking. Continued collection of data based on tachyon physics may well soon provide deeper insight into the behavior of gravitational and electromagnetic fields, advancing technologies dependent on manipulation of those two forces.

Despite everything, relations with most of the Combine's neighbors remain relatively cordial. The normally mistrustful Orthin leadership of the Orthin Conference regard the Combine with as much trust as they can summon for any alien institution, while a genuine cordial respect and gratitude for the Combine is apparent in the Senate of Eshar. The Yoral Khaganate is, for the moment, fairly mistrustful of the Combine, while the Gremak Empire- despite lacking formal diplomatic relations- is reasonably receptive to the Combine.

The continued growth of interstellar states has left the number of neutral systems dwindling. Although the High Command has lost the Shaula system, a new colony in the Toliman system has kept its number of worlds steady, and brought its borders into direct contact with the Combine. Keid, Solanar, and Calen all host nests for the Arda Seed's space rays. Economic growth and growth in innovation has been very healthy, although growth in the Combine's food supply has barely kept pace with population growth. The expanding demands of interstellar trade have left the Combine's merchant shipping even further overburdened, raising transport costs significantly.

The Combine remains the wealthiest and most populous power in the region, over 125 billion citizen-clients calling the Combine home, compared to about 85 billion sapients under the rule of the Orthin Conference. Despite the new crusiers Just, Stern, Proud, and Bold, Combine intelligence analysts estimate that the CSSF is, at best, a mid-rank power in naval strength, although the advantages of defensive warfare are not to be underestimated. The current diplomatic situation leaves the Combine in a very delicate position, and it is an open question if the peace thus far enjoyed by the Combine shall last out the year.

Matters For Vote

1- Research Breakthroughs in field theory are essentially guaranteed at some point over the next 150 years, which physicists predict will allow for incorporation a gravitic component into existing shielding technology, replicating old Sotillo Industries designs from the Great War era. These breakthroughs in physics will also allow cost-effective manufacture of antimatter as a power source, as well as greatly improved kinetic weapons. Research into the Arda psionic implants, although controversial, could be the edge needed to stabilise wavering diplomatic relations. Development of true large-scale space habitats will allow for continued population growth even on worlds such as Tendao, with the proper investment, industrial-scale cloning will help ensure rapid growth of the labor force into the future, and techniques for habitats in the most hostile environments will finally allow the Combine to grow to encompass the Wrem and the Tarib. Advances in materials science may allow for stronger structural and armor materials, and may well permit even stronger industrial development in the Combine, while use of new networking techniques and intelligent agents in planetary power management will immediately allow for a stronger economy with lower energy costs than every before. Application of FTL networking to a Combine-wide mercantile exchange will allow for increased trade, tighter integration of all the Combine's planetary economies, and increased standards of living Combine-wide.
We will pick up Advanced Field Theory (600 RP) at some appropriate time during the next update, depending on what else we research. Please allocate five votes between up to five of the following options; more than one vote may be applied to the same option, and I will research technologies in order of the number of votes recieved. Battle Shields (151 RP remaining), Antimatter (800 RP), Heavy Railguns (3000 RP), psionic implants (560 RP), space habitats and the larger orbital stations to take best advantage of them (1600 RP), Cloning (900 RP), Habitat Domes (1500 RP), Adamantium Construction (4000 RP), Adaptive Energy Grid (4000 RP), and Galactic Stock Exchange (4900 RP).

2- Military Industries The CSSF is, at least, strong enough to stand against any of the various Gremak splinter states and best them in space, although the project of liberating those enslaved by Gremak splinter states would require a vast enlargement of the Expeditionary Forces to deal with the massive surface forces maintained by those bandit kingdoms. The CSSF, although it could probably effectively fight an effective defensive war against other major powers, is still far from the strongest navy in known space, however, and could stand to see a major expansion.
Please vote between a focus on the CSSF or the Expeditionary Forces; based on the balance between the two, the CSSF may be expanded relatively modestly, greatly, or all effort for now sunk into the Expeditionary Forces.

3- Civilian Shipbuilding Shipyard time on Surao may continue to be focused exclusively on new colony ships, or be diverted into the overdue expansion of the merchant shipping fleet of the Combine.
Please vote between an exclusive colony ship focus, or a temporary diversion into building more freighters.

4- The Senate of Sebarsk The pro-Imperial Loyalists and pro-Combine Freemen of the Senate of Sebarsk represent a bitter division within the aristocracy of Sebarsk. The debates within the Senate may, eventually, shape the course of the planet.
Please vote between the Loyalists and the Freemen in the Senate. This will have little immediate game effect, but will influence local cultural development and have larger implications later...

5- Diplomacy: the Orthin Request Although the Combine has been very reluctant to commit to war, thus far, close relations with the Orthin Conference and concerns about the Yoral Khaganate have rendered the debate about war with the Khaganate the most serious yet within Combine leadership.
Please vote to accept or deny the Orthin request.

6- Diplomacy: Alliances A new alliance could be forged with almost equal ease between the Combine and either the Orthin Conference or the Republican Union of Eshar. Alliance with the Orthin Conference would cement a long history of friendship, while alliance with the Republican Union would ensure a lasting friendship with no risk that the Republican Union will be tempted to support the Yoral Khaganate in a war against the Combine. Both powers, the Conference and the Republican Union, support the largest and most powerful navies thus far known. Allying with either power would commit the Combine to supporting them in their wars if requested in the future, and badly sour relations with their enemies.
Please vote between an alliance with the Orthin Conference, the Republican Union, or neither.

7- Diplomacy: Mercenaries The Combine has developed contacts within all of the great powers it has traded with that could potentially be used to rapidly reinforce their naval strength. Financing mercenary recruits to use a combination of their local industry and Combine-based manufacturing to outfit new ships could allow for swift reinforcement of the CSSF with auxiliaries, although this would be very expensive in the long term and would take valuable diplomatic effort to arrange.
Please vote for or against recruiting mercenary auxiliaries at this time. If you vote for, indicate a race or a ship class you would prefer to focus on.

8- Other Diplomatic Considerations Relations could potentially be reopened with the Gremak Empire, while other matters of diplomatic strategy may be worth discussion.
Discuss more general diplomatic considerations, and propose issues as you wish.

9- Ship Names Proposals for names for future destroyers and cruisers of the CSSF will be accepted, based on existing class patterns. The next four planned cruisers beyond the Just, Stern, Proud, and Bold shall be the Swift, Keen, Sure, and Brave.
Propose ship names if you wish; destroyers have been named after predatory beasts of Tendao, while cruisers are named after the 'harder' virtues, preferably monosyllabic.

10- Shipyard Names The shipyards over Mehu and Surao are major industrial accomplishments funded by local merchant princes and corporations. Of course they have names.
Propose names for either shipyard or both, if you wish.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 28, 2019

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

The light industries of Mehu that specialise in providing...

I think you have the wrong image above this description.

Not sure about research, I'll defer. I'm wary of this march towards militarism, but if we need weapons to protect what we have built, then so be it. Speaking of which, we have subsidized an ever-growing number of petty Gremak bandit kingdoms for far too long. We may be purchasing peace for ourselves, but only by financing the terror, brutality, and hardship of others. Prepare our military by expanding our ground-combat forces, and arrange to halt the bribes as soon as possible. If the response is what we expect (that is, aggression) then we will respond without hesitation or doubt.

Speaking of which, how do Phidi troops fight on land? I assume they need water-filled battle suits, at least. Otherwise, a giant armored aquarium with retro-jets and bristling with weaponry?

Ship name suggestions: Fierce, Strong, Harsh, Sharp, Bright

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
1) 3 Votes - Combine Wide Stock Exchange This seems the most Phidi thing in the list to go for. More money, it will bring our population and our planets closer together to bind us in a better economic union while also making all our citizens more prosperous. What'sn ot to like? 2 Votes Arda Psionic Improvements This will help us with ongoing diplomatic relations. Given our general neutral position in most galactic affairs, this seems to be better set when it comes to allowing us a maximum of diplomatic options.

2) Expand the CSSF Greatly Our military is mostly focused on system defense, dealing with harpies, and pirates while making itself large enough to if necessary fend off Gremak raiders. At this point, the galaxy is growing to be a hostile place and we are working on expanding our shipbuilding facilities and have taken great lengths at lowering the cost of making more ships. This isa point where we are probably in the best position to expand our navy. We are still in a state of peace, our economy is doing well and we are prosperous and mostly self succient. We have recently gone through a refit cycle so most of our ships are up to current designs. The time to expand our naval fleet seems opportune to make it an effective force in the galaxy if need be.

3) Freighters the backbone of our economy. We have several planets which are in a state wher e they are building themselves up and not ahuge number of immediate systems with tempting targets for colonization. We are in a good state where we have claims on future areas we might wish to establish colonies on so now is a good point to consolidate - and particularly build up our internal trade system.

4) Freemen No other reason than I like the Dune reference admittedly (Yes I'm aware it's not quite spelled that way)

5) Aye to the Orthin Request we have seen them constantly target other species with acts of aggression. We will be supporting the Orthin whom we are strongly attempting to engage as long term allies. Whom if we do will likely request us to engage in the conflict over which we would be breaking our alliance to not join which renders that diplomatic pursuit pointless. I leave litlte here as I feel others can make more effective arguments for the pursuit of this - or against it in which case I am willing to change my vote if logical arguments for not doing so are made

6) The Orthin Conference seems a long term power for an alliance. Honestly, while out of universe the Republic Union is superior to pursue an alliance with.. We've been (in-universe) angling to attempt to engage in alliance with the Orthins for centuries so changing course seems a bit out of 'character'.

7) Yay for Mercenaries While we are expanding our shipbuilding faciltiies and likely our fleet, mercenary auxiliaries are highly useful. I also feel that if so we should pursue cruisers but at the point that they not be extremely expensive. We already have a large force of destroyers and lighter ships, more heavies will be effective if we come into a conflict. This is at the caveat of two things - one if it is more cost effective to supplant our forces iwth mercenary cruisers than to build them ourselves. Two, that if so it be done at the point a conflict seems likelier. If we are unlikely to need mercenary heavy units then there is no oimmediate reason to pursue such.

8) Nay on the Gremaks I see no reason why to pursue diplomacy with an empire that is by all that I can see by any definition of morality one that is ooutright evil beyond the necessity fo securing our own borders. I feel that also any nations we deem non-aggressive that we continuet o pursue trading rights, mail rights, and as they are open to it research agreements. This in turn is focused on stellar groups which have for now mostly avoided aggressive acts on the galactic scale and acted to defend their own interests.

9) No ship names come to mind

10) The Galvanizer. Galvanize - to rally support. Also, the act of forging. When something is smelted down and improved, it is galvanized. Forged again to be made better. For these shipyards, improved by the research of the Combine, built by the economy of the Combine, are a way for all citizens, all races of the Combine to pursue our joint destiny in the stars and prosperity. It makes us better for it comes from all of us. Together we make ourselves stronger. Each planet, each race, each citizen makes us stronger together than we are separately. WE are more than the sum of our parts and individuals. We are teh Phidi Combine. Together, we are united.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EggsAisle posted:

I think you have the wrong image above this description.

It may be a few days before I can fix this; please bear with me until then. I'll get to it once I'm back on a computer that remembers the password to my image hosting service.

EggsAisle posted:

Speaking of which, how do Phidi troops fight on land? I assume they need water-filled battle suits, at least. Otherwise, a giant armored aquarium with retro-jets and bristling with weaponry?

On land, they have had to rely on armored vehicles with a pressurised crew compartment; Phidi make extremely poor land-based infantry. On spaceships, tactics to at least partially flood compartments they are boarding are possible, however.

E: EggsAisle, shall I take your wariness of a march towards militarism as rejecting becoming involved in the Yoral War and rejecting making any alliances at this time?

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 26, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

wedgekree posted:

3) Freighters the backbone of our economy. We have several planets which are in a state wher e they are building themselves up and not ahuge number of immediate systems with tempting targets for colonization. We are in a good state where we have claims on future areas we might wish to establish colonies on so now is a good point to consolidate - and particularly build up our internal trade system.

For what it's worth, the colonisation targets we currently have are four lifeless arid worlds within systems we already claim that our Human citizen-clients can settle. None are extremely exciting, but they'll at least be reasonable additions to the Combine.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nweismuller posted:

For what it's worth, the colonisation targets we currently have are four lifeless arid worlds within systems we already claim that our Human citizen-clients can settle. None are extremely exciting, but they'll at least be reasonable additions to the Combine.

Thanks. So definitely viable but not super appealing to the point we should prioritize getting infrastructure down on there ASAP. And they'd take a bit to establish on anyways.

So, definitely still full on for freighters.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

nweismuller posted:

It may be a few days before I can fix this; please bear with me until then. I'll get to it once I'm back on a computer that remembers the password to my image hosting service.

It's trivial in the larger scheme of things, no problem at all.

nweismuller posted:

E: EggsAisle, shall I take your wariness of a march towards militarism as rejecting becoming involved in the Yoral War and rejecting making any alliances at this time?

I'm reluctant to declare war without a specific grudge. At the same time, a military alliance with the Orthin could be extremely valuable, and the Yoral keep acting like jackasses anyway... feh, I vote we join the war, misgivings notwithstanding. It's not like the Yoral are our biggest fans anyway, and maybe they'll see reason and sue for peace once we commit to military action. Of course, if they saw reason in the first place, we wouldn't be in this situation. We'll just have to make the best of it.

I also think the civilian shipyards should beef up the freighters, sounds like our shipping network is badly overdue for an upgrade.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EggsAisle posted:

I also think the civilian shipyards should beef up the freighters, sounds like our shipping network is badly overdue for an upgrade.

Well, as you can see, we're only serving 148 out of a potential 520 trade routes; we could certainly stand to build more freighters to help remedy that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
1- Research

2 points for Arda Persuasion -- not only will this be a very useful tool to maintain cordial diplomatic relationship in this more and more strained area of the galaxy, but in addition, understanding the mysterious phenomenons at play may help us defend against attempts at manipulations by others. Also, advertising companies are extremely interested in getting access to this technology. If the Board of Transactional Ethics does not preconize keeping this technology restricted to the Combine's diplomatic corps, it would be a very dynamic new market.

2 points for Habitat Domes -- it's time to settle on all these barren planets and make life flourish on them. Not only will we be able to integrate fully two more intelligent species into the Combine family, creating new market niches and opportunities, but it will also enable, long term, plans to terraform some of these barren worlds for immigration.

1 point for Battle Shield -- since most of the work has already been done, it'll be a cheap upgrade to our battle fleet.

2- Military Industries

The Gremak splinter worlds have a large population of slaves. Not only is it a moral imperative to liberate these people held in servitude, but it is also a commercial imperative to let them become fully productive citizen-clients. Freedom is not just nicer, it is also more efficient. A larger expeditionary force is a necessary part of this plan. However, we should not forget that we are now bordering the Yoral Khaganate, and historically the Yorals have waged war against all their neighbors. Our alliance with the Orthin Conference can help deter the Yorals from testing our strength, but all the same, a modest increase in fleet strength would probably not be superfluous.

3- Civilian Shipbuilding

Colony ships should be put on hold for now, so as to let the transport fleet time to catch up. It needs to be trebled, easily! Let's not neglect the possibility to colonize worlds in already-settled systems, as this doesn't require the massive investment of a colony ship.

4- The Senate of Sebarsk

"Should we remain loyal to the Combine, which rescued us in our time of need, or rejoin our ancestral empire? The decision is heavy, and personally while my heart yearns for the latter, I believe it is better to keep the status quo for now. Look at our Teros brethren from Rastaban: they turned to us for help, and the Combine obliged. By remaining in what is one of the largest nations of the Galaxy, we can make sure that the Combine will remain friendly and receptive to Ashdar interests. And to this end I believe we should petition to settle on some of the arid worlds in Combine space, growing our numbers and our influence." Senator Yannikirsis, suggesting a third way
(I'm pretty sure the Ashdar handle arid zones better than Humans.)

5- Diplomacy: the Orthin Request

"One the one hand, the Orthin are undoubtedly right that the Yoral Khaganate is a menace. This cannot be denied. However, we are not an aggressive power, any sort of "preemptive attack" scheme would be disastrous for Phidi diplomacy. We are not a nation of aggressors. Would we be any better than the Yorals if we decided to attack them first? I understand that we are close friend to the Conference, and I value this friendship greatly, as it brought us many mutually-profitable, lucrative, and insightful avenues of cooperation with some of the keenest scientific minds in the galaxy. But at the same time, we have to acknowledge that they have an interventionist streak, and that's not a side that we should encourage in them. We need to deny their request, in the gentlest way possible of course." Delegate Metetao

6- Diplomacy: Alliances
Senator Yannikirsis from Sebarsk is lobbying for an alliance with the Republican Union.
Delegate Metetao from Phoron is lobbying against an alliance with the Orthin conference.

7- Diplomacy: Mercenaries
Against
Mercenaries should be kept as an ace up our sleeve in case we regrettably become embroiled in a conflict. In the meantime, Combine money is better spent on Combine shipyards.

8- Diplomacy: Gremaks
No real point to opening diplomatic talks again. They have become largely irrelevant, cornered as they are by the Orthin and holding only two systems (Minalei only has a space station, no settlement, which is why its name isn't capitalized on the galaxy map). Besides, we're planning on liberating the planets held by the brigand remains of their former empire, it's better if we don't have their ambassador looking at us while we do that.

9- Ship names
We probably already have more names than we need ships, but why not: Tough, Rough, Sleek, Apt, Rich...
For destroyers I don't know, I feel like coming up with names for alien animals will just be either nonsense syllables or dumb mashup of earth names, like "sharkray" or "spearsquid" and yeah. No inspiration
For the next ship class I'd suggest using the names of Combine planets.

10- Shipyard names
Mehu shipyard: Lejmi
Surao shipyard: Bulao

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 26, 2019

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cat Mattress posted:

For destroyers I don't know, I feel like coming up with names for alien animals will just be either nonsense syllables or dumb mashup of earth names, like "sharkray" or "spearsquid" and yeah. No inspiration

How I've done it is descriptive. Predator, Reef Shark, Bladed Squid, Banded Eel, and the like. I save the dumb mashups of nonsense syllables for planet names and personal names! :downs:

Cat Mattress posted:

Colony ships should be put on hold for now, so as to let the transport fleet time to catch up. It needs to be trebled, easily! Let's not neglect the possibility to colonize worlds in already-settled systems, as this doesn't require the massive investment of a colony ship.

Regrettably, game mechanics prevent us from using the 'colonise other planet in-system' option for planets our primary race can't colonise, and all our current targets are arids. I don't remember where all four of the target planets are, but two of the four are in Sirius and Thuban, which have nothing but trade post stations anchoring small populations.

E: As far as Ashdar handling arid zones better than Humans- this is true, but we'll get best results by having both Ashdar and Humans on these worlds (and as Phidi are more productive than either, whatever Phidi we can fit on are still a win). The arids in question all have ice biomes as well as arid biomes, and the Humans are our best species with ice thus far. (In fact, the two in Sirius and Thuban are 'steppes'-types, with nearly as much icecap as clear arid terrain.) The Senator's support for moving into new worlds, however, is enough for me to immediately prioritise having some Haduir emigrate from Sebarsk to Motherlode. The population on Sebarsk does look like it's high enough to support some emigration without hosing the growth rate too badly.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 26, 2019

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
From the office of His Royal Highness Prince Wintrow of Tendao, Prince of Surao-Nassau,

Greetings from sunny Surao!

1. I have no specific recommendations related to research. Other than techniques for habitats for the most hostile environments will lead to greater prosperity for all citizens of the Combine. It will also result in a greater need for Colony ships as well as more Merchant ships to service the new colonies.

2. While hardly an expert in military matters, I suggest all effort for now sunk into the Expeditionary Forces.

3. As a resident of Surao I am not unbiased regarding out civilian shipbuilding. I recommend a temporary diversion into building more freighters, and not only because I have a financial incentive to see the new shipyard succeed. Our merchant shipping services 148 trade routes out of a demand of 520.

4. I feel that if I was in their fins or, what do they call 'em? Oh, feet? I would want to return to the Combine. So I will vote with the Loyalists. Those who do not wish to leave are welcome to join us on the other Combine worlds. As billions of Ashdar Haduir already have!

5. Deny, please don't plunge us into a war that will kill millions for no benefit! I understand and approve of freeing the slaves of the Gremak and Tinkers. Those are causes worth fighting for. Starting a war of agression is bad for business. War is also good for business. Seriously though, this Let's Play is great enough even without wars. If you want to spice it up with fleet battles, go beat up the slavers. As close to a just war there is.

6. An alliance with the Orthin Conference would be a benefit to us. I fear I will eat those words as our allies plunge us into war. But there is no venture without risk. And our influence on the Orthin may help them see the profit in peace.

7. For. I have no preference for the flavour of mercenaries. We have the wealth to splurge.

8. I am interested in the people who live in hyperspace. If it is true that they can make hyperlanes then that could be an opportunity for great profit.

9. -

10. The shipyard at Surao could be named "New Prosperity".

Edit: Loyalists want to rejoin the Empire. Freemen want to stay in the Combine. I feel like any Freemen who want to stay can move to Combine worlds and let the Loyalists take the planet back into the Empire. They settled it after all. They did not choose to abandon them, the hyperlanes collapsed!

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 26, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nweismuller posted:

Regrettably, game mechanics prevent us from using the 'colonise other planet in-system' option for planets our primary race can't colonise, and all our current targets are arids.

That's where habitat tech enters the picture.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

4. I feel that if I was in their fins or, what do they call 'em? Oh, feet? I would want to return to the Combine. So I will vote with the Freemen. Those who do not wish to leave are welcome to join us on the other Combine worlds. As billions of Ashdar Haduir already have!

Do you mean the Loyalists? The Loyalists are the pro-Imperial faction, the Freemen the pro-Combine faction.

Unlike the Phidi (whose modern 'merchant princes' have long since been purely plutocratic rather than aristocratic positions), the Haduir have long supported a ruling aristocracy of ancient families. The Freemen, as an aristocratic faction, have tended to support plutocratic reforms of the Senate, allowing wealthy commoners to purchase representation. Freemen, as a group, average less traditionalist, and frequently either have strong financial interests in trade with the greater Combine or a power base that relies on popular support from commoner economic interests. The Loyalists hope to confirm the original aristocratic nature of the Senate and the government, and frequently have a power base reliant on alliances within the aristocracy itself, particularly economically-marginal elements of the aristocracy who would directly lose influence by the gain of wealthy commoners.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
1) 2 Votes - Combine Wide Stock Exchange because the Money faction wants more Money. 2 votes for Habitat Domes because more population translates to more Money. 1 vote for Arda Psionic Implants because people liking us translates to more Money.

2) Expand the CSSF Greatly because space combat is best combat. We can always mop up those pirates later.

3) Colony Ships because colonies require time to grow, so might as well plant them as quickly as possible. Freighters can wait.

4) Freemen because I don't see why we would want to encourage Seditious Thought.

5) Aye to the Orthin Request for no other reason except the fact that the Yorals are constantly declaring Wars, putting our diplomacy and thus our Profits in repeated jeopardy and I'd rather they stop.

6) The Orthin Conference and furthermore anybody that doesn't stand with our Giant Isobuddies in favor of these new peeps is a bad person and fair-weather friend :colbert:

7) Nay for Mercenaries unless we really need them for planetary invasions or whatever.

8) Yay on the Gremaks but ONLY if that doesn't damage our trade with other empires, and the Gremaks should be the first ones we ditch in favor of others. But if we can trade without issue then hey, Money and Influence for us!

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 26, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Since the game does not have a wiki, I dug into the data files and made this little chart. There may be errors or omissions in it, I didn't want to spend too much time cross-referencing bits of code.

Races with an asterisk cannot be moved with transports, so you can't send them to settle other planets -- or load them in transport, then scrap the transport to get rid of them. This is especially tragic in the case of the Viscid, a utterly, utterly useless race that exists only to make one planet in the galaxy not worth colonizing. Or only worth colonizing so that you can then give it to a different empire, then immediately declare war against them, and annihilate the population with orbital bombing, because nuking them from orbit is the only way to make sure.

Things that are interesting to note:
  • The Tarib actually produce useful metals. These guys eat poison and poop metals. They are wonderful and I love them. And they are no worse than the average in most other respects. They can also acclimate well to life on a planet surface, doing as well as the average air-breather; but they should mostly be sent to other inferno planets where they're comfortable and no one else.
  • The Wrem are another race that performs pretty much like the average air-breather, but they're not especially interesting colonists for your atmospheric planets as, to be honest, they're not especially great at farming, researching, working, or trading. And they don't even have the courtesy of pooping metal. But their capacity to thrive on airless worlds will make them useful to optimize iceball planets, since having not-especially-productive guys on the airless surface of these worlds is still better than having a totally unproductive absence of guys. (Barren planets can be terraformed to arid or glacier so as to get better populations. And if they're not small-sized, they can then be terraformed again into island or garden planets.)
  • Orthins are a good complement to any wet planet -- iceball, glacier, ocean, island, garden, all of them have deep undersea vents that are useless to every other race. Having Orthins with you is always useful unless you only have arid, desert, barren, and inferno planets.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
A Legal Opinion on the Arda Implants, as Described

The effect of the Arda implants as described into the descriptive notes tendered to Combine negotiators can be compared to existing intoxicant substances, which can impair but do not negate the faculty of reason in those that partake. Precedent in contract law regarding such substances is clear, such that one aware of their own state of intoxication may yet contract (with, of course, all sales and transfers of properties being legally contracts) while the faculty of reason remains. To induce intoxication in secret, however, is taken as an attempt at fraud, negating any such contract entered into under a state of secret intoxication; likewise should a reasonable individual be able to clearly perceive that intoxication is such that the faculty of reason is negated, contracts are likewise not valid- see footnotes for precedents and for rulings. Psionic influences from Arda implants then can be treated as an example of the class- such that for contracts to be legal under such influence the influence much be made public to the contractor who is to come under this influence before the contract is made and thereby permit the contractor to come under this influence to take appropriate precautions up to and including removing themselves from negotiations.

Pleas for remedy of contract under fraud remain a legal right to any citizen-client of the Combine under the Charter itself, an obligation upon the Combine via whichever member franchise of the Combine represents a citizen-client.

- Legister Tomil, lecturer on law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I didn't think the ability for population to produce metal was actually implemented. I know they were thinking of doing that for the Tarib, but I've not seen it show up. I will keep an eye out to see.