Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

I've seen a lot of people defend this reboot by saying that the original was corny and campy, so it's okay for this one to be overt and stupid as well, and I just don't understand that argument at all.

poo poo sucked back then so it's cool that it sucks now.

It didn't suck bak then, and you used words with positive connotations for thie first thing and negatiev connations for the second thing, we're on to you, a new study biblle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

McSpanky posted:

This thread is a Twilight Zone episode, the only question is, is it a good one or a bad one?

"A thread, deprived of its original purpose, now left to wander in a sea of he-said-she-said, proving that there is no more dangerous tool to progress than human miscommunication... a tool which threatens to return and thrive once more, as it lays down its mighty iron fist... here, in the Twilight Zone."

RE did the show suck back then: I don't think it did. I do think, however, that the original show had more limitations than this reboot, limitations which ended up helping the show. The aforementioned running time is one of them, yeah, but I think having to skirt around censorship and butt heads with network execs also helped.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

stratofarius posted:

"A thread, deprived of its original purpose, now left to wander in a sea of he-said-she-said, proving that there is no more dangerous tool to progress than human miscommunication... a tool which threatens to return and thrive once more, as it lays down its mighty iron fist... here, in the Twilight Zone."

RE did the show suck back then: I don't think it did. I do think, however, that the original show had more limitations than this reboot, limitations which ended up helping the show. The aforementioned running time is one of them, yeah, but I think having to skirt around censorship and butt heads with network execs also helped.

Art from adversity people, not diversity! *launches into a proud youtube career of whining about "sjws" ruining something*

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Art from adversity people, not diversity! *launches into a proud youtube career of whining about "sjws" ruining something*

Hey, I do think great art can come from diversity too (Replay is a great episode and example of this). I just think too much freedom can be damaging in some cases, even though you always want to let a creative's mind soar.

I wonder if one could edit the season's episodes into neat 25 minute eps. I might give it a shot during the Summer, seems like a fun exercise.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There were plenty of shittier episodes in the original run. Haven't seen the new one yet but just wanted to mention that.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Are people catching this on brodcast/dvr or is there some way to watch online?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like this show would be better if they cut everything but the intro, the terrible thing happening, and jordan peele spelling out the metaphor. It would cut a lot of the fat and also increase the jordan peele narration ratio

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The spookiest thing about this episode is that I just watched this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The only episode I really liked was Replay and I kind of liked the comedian episode and Nightmare remake thing.

I agree that the Not All Men episode "twist" was stupid. As was stated, "just using it as an excuse" requires (a) no physical changes (veins, eyes, voice) and (b) KNOWING there is a placebo object. I don't understand why the episode was written in the way it was, when there was a simple change to make the supposed effects broadcast BEFORE the friends and family started showing the effects if that's the point you're making.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OK, what was the point of that? Peele's narration at the end was about valuing objects more than people, but no one in the episode did that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think they just wanted to make a forbidden gun episode but the metaphor didnt really fit and also the gun wasnt forbidden, it seemed maybe haunted?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bring back old gbs posted:

i think they just wanted to make a forbidden gun episode but the metaphor didnt really fit and also the gun wasnt forbidden, it seemed maybe haunted?

It wasn't even clearly haunted. Aside from the names appearing on the bullets and the gun moving around when no one was looking, nothing supernatural happened, and those things could have been Jeff's imagination. He was going through a very stressful and upsetting time; some slightly weird things happened; he imagined a gun was magic; he threw it in a lake. That would make sense if it was about perception and reality and how do you know what's real, but it wasn't.

And if we take the magic as real then maybe it was supposed to be about the gun wanting to kill someone named Jeff, like a curse - if you pick it up, you'll die unless you kill someone with your name. And he does that, but not because he planned to or because he believed he was under any such curse. It just kind of happened. He was briefly scared that the bullet with his name on it was going to kill him, but then he got over that, and then later he accidentally shot someone named Jeff.

And what was his father's suicide note about?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiggum posted:

It wasn't even clearly haunted. Aside from the names appearing on the bullets and the gun moving around when no one was looking, nothing supernatural happened, and those things could have been Jeff's imagination. He was going through a very stressful and upsetting time; some slightly weird things happened; he imagined a gun was magic; he threw it in a lake. That would make sense if it was about perception and reality and how do you know what's real, but it wasn't.

And if we take the magic as real then maybe it was supposed to be about the gun wanting to kill someone named Jeff, like a curse - if you pick it up, you'll die unless you kill someone with your name. And he does that, but not because he planned to or because he believed he was under any such curse. It just kind of happened. He was briefly scared that the bullet with his name on it was going to kill him, but then he got over that, and then later he accidentally shot someone named Jeff.

And what was his father's suicide note about?

I thought it was gonna be:

-Main Guy finds the gun, has 'Jeff' on it, his name
-ohhh, ex gf's new man is ALSO named Jeff, so its not a suicide, he's going to murder that guy out of jealousy
-Main Guy realizes this, takes his own life instead, his dad made the same choice at the beginning
-ex gf finds the gun in the belongings left to her or whatever, cycle continues

but yeah then the suicide note would have to be "i loved him more than me" or whatever, I didnt get this one at all really

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

After watching A Traveler finally, the alien stuff and themes of truth and lies and identity all had a really strong colonial undertone to it from my vantage point. Curious if anyone else thought that at all.

I also noticed very late that Serling’s wife Carolyne Serling is one of the producers.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 26, 2019

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

bring back old gbs posted:

I thought it was gonna be:

-Main Guy finds the gun, has 'Jeff' on it, his name
-ohhh, ex gf's new man is ALSO named Jeff, so its not a suicide, he's going to murder that guy out of jealousy
-Main Guy realizes this, takes his own life instead, his dad made the same choice at the beginning
-ex gf finds the gun in the belongings left to her or whatever, cycle continues

but yeah then the suicide note would have to be "i loved him more than me" or whatever, I didnt get this one at all really

The gun was evil, and the people were good after all (except the whiny lawyer).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, I mean the message is definitely how the allure of guns and gun culture can completely ruin a person. The supernatural element of everyone showing up with the name Jeff is that everyone can be a target (once you're in that mindset).
This episode was almost an afterschool PSA that could have ended with gun death statistics. Isn't it something like you have an overwhelming chance of hurting yourself or loved ones (as opposed to an intruder) if you own a gun?

Just like all the other episodes this season, it was pretty heavy-handed, but I didn't hate it as much as some of the dumber episodes.

So far, my Hit/Miss scores are:

Great:
Replay

Good w/ some problems:
The Comedian
The Blue Scorpion

Okayish/Bad:
The Wunderkind
Not All Men

Just Trash:
Nightmare at 30,000 Feet
A Traveler
Six Degrees of Freedom
Point of Origin

Overall, this season is pretty bad, though. Most of the time I'm complaining at the screen. I didn't really do that with Black Mirror or Electric Dreams.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 27, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Peacoffee posted:

After watching A Traveler finally, the alien stuff and themes of truth and lies and identity all had a really strong colonial undertone to it from my vantage point. Curious if anyone else thought that at all.

I also noticed very late that Serling’s wife Carolyne Serling is one of the producers.

Yea but the colonial stuff was incredibly on the nose so it wouldnt even call it undertones, it felt very heavy handed, just like the rest of the show really. The native police officer and her brother dislike celebrating christmas as it's not their holiday, the brother says she wants to be like "them", the Sheriff is shown as only caring about only his own interests and not the land he has hold over, when the aliens are taking over the brother says to the Traveler "I hope you do a better job than the last ones" or something like that, in fact all the white people in the party are shown as pretty horrible people as they're drunk, corrupt, violent etc, having a good time whilst one of the native characters serves under a white boss and the other is thrown into a prison cell, you cant really get more on the nose than that.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I really liked Nightmare, maybe because it was the shortest and just most to the point episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Peacoffee posted:

It definitely did, but I don't feel that it came together well. Like, the main character and her brother are indigenous and these cheesy white people are stepping on them both in different ways, but then also there's an alien who wants to subjugate them, too, and is making a false offer of the protagonist being his lieutenant if she sells out humanity, and...like, there's a lot of stuff there, but none of it really ties together.

The tension between the captain and the protagonist was really good, though, and easily the best part of the episode, I thought. He's super patronising to her, but she has an iron respect for the chain of command even though she can't stand him, and all that threatens to bubble over until it finally - well, um, actually, nothing really happens, but for a while it seems like it will!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How's the newest episode (about a gun with names on bullets?)

Haven't caught it yet, I skipped the immigration one after I read some detailed negative review and the comments in this thread seemed to confirm it not being very good.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Do yourself a favor. Don't read any reviews of this last episode. Just watch it. If you're not on board after five minutes then just quit. Holy poo poo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

J33uk posted:

Do yourself a favor. Don't read any reviews of this last episode. Just watch it. If you're not on board after five minutes then just quit. Holy poo poo.

ya this

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Six Degrees of Freedom was the only episode I really cared about this season.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Hahaha what the gently caress was that, you could write a savage review on like four different aspects of that "finale". What Hollywood nepotism got these scripts into production? Only a handful of the episodes were worth watching at all

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I read the two sentence plot summary on wikipedia and it sounds stupid

Then I read a slightly more indepth paragraph in a review and it sounds really stupid

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's insanely stupid but I thought the end was really well done. It probably should have been the pilot

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

What is it with modern writers dumping protagonists on screen and skipping over character introductions? Who are these people, what are there motivations, and why should we care about them? If they're in peril then why would we be more interested in their fate than any other cast member? In a scene where they're obnoxious/self-centered/mean, are they acting out of character or reacting to something we don't know? Because if that's not clear then you're just watching some rear end in a top hat do activities in arbitrary order and I can get that by recording myself.

Compare the protagonists of the the rewind episode and the finale, it's night and day.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

And why didn't Blurryman tell her to "Murder You're Famil"?!?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me that Blurryman dude actually shows up in the premiere

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Escobarbarian posted:

Please tell me that Blurryman dude actually shows up in the premiere

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-twilight-zone-blurryman-spotted-every-episode/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s awesome.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno, I think the finale had an awesome premise, but didn't come close to sticking the landing in any satisfying way.

Also yet another episode that felt too long (and it was only like 37 mins with credits!).
We see her run away for so long, then get caught by the blurryman. Then we come back from commercial and have to watch her run away again for another segment. Repetitive.
Really bad CG and voice on fake Rod Serling at the end, too. This certainly wasn't Marvel Movie level. Only one step up from fake commercial Orville Redenbacher.

I also like Zazie Beetz from seeing her in Atlanta/Deadpool 2, but in this ep she had to read some clunky lines and it felt like she was a bad actress.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 1, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Watching the last episode, all of the commercials were 30 seconds early. They cut into moments that were supposed to be suspenseful but the commercial popped in and killed it.

I thought the season was good. I really enjoyed Replay. Nightmare and the comedy ones felt like the closest to the original series.

I had watched the original series on Hulu in prep for this (I usually watch them anyways) and I thought it was cool how this last episode ends with a character interacting with Serling and the first season of the original series ends similarly. But I do agree that the CGI was not that good.

Excited for the next season because even not he original series, many of the best episodes came in the later seasons. The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, Time Enough at Last, A Nice Place to Visit and Mr Bevis were some of the best original stories.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I actually really liked the finale, and I hope season 2 brings forth improvements. Namely, RUNNING TIMES.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
As a young black kid who also used to sit in front of the TV marveling at the classic show and what a boss Serling was (I used to record the opening and ending narrations on cassette tape so I could listen to them later), I totally get the love letter to Serling that Peele was trying to write in the finale, and I appreciate it, but as far as the execution of this seasons episodes goes, I'm afraid I have to agree with the detractors. I only felt like a handful of this seasons episodes were even worth watching, and absolutely nothing really blew me away. A few episodes were up to par, most were medicore at best, a few felt like they were written by a tumblr auto story generator.

It seems like Peele is a real fan of the classic series and as such I have high hopes that he'll see the flaws in the first season and take steps towards improvement in his construction of the second season.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Overall this season was meh, but the finale made me excited for season two and the possibilities of the future.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Fun fact about the last episode, they used the same guy who did Serling's voice for the Tower of Terror, which is how I was introduced to the Twilight Zone.

I ended up rewatching the finale. I reaaally liked it. My rankings have to be:
The Best: Replay
Good: Nightmare at 30k Feet, Blurryman
Okay: The Comedian, Six Degrees of Freedom, A Traveler
Bad: Point of Origin, Not All Men, Blue Scorpion
The Worst: The Wunderkind

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Finally got around to finishing the season. I'm a little surprised by the opinions of Point of Origin and Replay. I thought Point of Origin felt the most like a Twilight Zone episode of old. Yes it was heavy handed but it had that classic Twilight Zone feeling of a normal person getting their lives upturned. Replay besides having huge plot holes, was heavy handed in the extreme with its messaging even if I liked the initial premise. I'll also say that I'm on the side of liking the finale. If they would have cut the run time and less running around it would have been perfect.

So here's my list:
The Best: Point of Origin
Good: Nightmare at 30k Feet, Blurryman
Okay: Six Degrees of Freedom, A Traveler, Replay
Bad: The Comedian, Not All Men, Blue Scorpion
The Worst: The Wunderkind

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

insider posted:

Replay besides having huge plot holes, was heavy handed in the extreme with its messaging even if I liked the initial premise.

People keep saying this but judging by how many internet commenters completely missed the point of it being a specific critique of the Just World/if you didn't want to get shot why didn't you do X/He Was No Angel attitude towards blaming the victim in cases of police brutality and instead dismissed it as a simple and clumsy racism=bad parable it obviously wasn't heavy handed enough.

Also I was surprised at how little attention Six Degrees of Freedom got. It feels like the kind of thing that all the people who complained about Sunshine becoming a slasher movie in the third act or movies like Prometheus and The Cloverfield Paradox not being pure grounded hard sci fi about people on a mission in a spaceship have been waiting years to get and I enjoyed the double fakeout since it managed to be both have everything that happened matter while having none of it be "real" and playing with the language of storytelling to fool you along with the characters while still never leaving their perspective. I guess in terms of pure social commentary it's a little muddled but as a spooky genre piece with a twist ending it was classic TZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having thought a bit about the season since it ended, I do still think the run-time was longer than needed for a few episodes, but it wasn't a problem. Otherwise it was a pretty good season of the twilight zone, hitting almost all the points the way they needed to. Favorite episode was the one where the people got mad watching the episode "Not All Men".