Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ally

Loooooooooooooongzenge: 2d6 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Lozenge D - part 6: 2d6 6

Ally With It! RIP Cochon.

No Upgrad

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

L: 2d6 8

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Fight!

No Upgrad

Derive Lozenergy: 1d6 2

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Break Through: 2d6 3

FIGHTO

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Vein hovered in the air above you, faintly luminous and taut with energy. You felt for the creature, you really did… but this atrocity couldn’t be ignored. Cochon was chomping at the bit, ready to throw herself into the fight, and if you held her back too firmly you had no doubt she’d just turn on you before tearing into her ancestral foe. You had to try, though. You refused to believe there wasn’t some way this could just… work out.

quote:

”You said the energy that sustained you was ‘animating that construct of mine’. You mean the Cold Man, right? Could you… inhabit him instead? Come with me, leave this Room, and leave these poor creatures alone!”
Vein looked, if the expressions on his inhuman face could be interpreted, briefly hopeful, a flash of something like longing passing through his eyes. ”It… could be so. It could work, for a time, though I would need something more... visceral in the fullness of-” Cochon’s thrown club passed through his face, dispersing his essence and causing the bound body to shiver violently and spasm. ”Monster! Monster he and coward thee, Giant! No agreement can be made! No truce with the deceiver! Stand with us now, or fall against our combined might! You know he cannot be trusted! My father! My FATHER!”

Vein withdrew to the body, boiling and roiling in the air like a thundercloud. A single eye swivelled to meet yours, challenging and hopeful at once. You hesitated for the merest moment, then looked away. He howled, the broken jaw of his host extending unnaturally in his fury. Cochon was right, you knew it. This thing couldn’t be allowed to live with its sins, couldn’t be allowed to escape this prison and continue its depredations elsewhere. A faint pang of loss rattled inside you, some deeper understanding of the loneliness and madness the creature must have gone through, left behind by those he cared for. And yet…

And yet he could not be forgiven. Obei yelped and ran clear, but at a gesture from you Vups billowed from her hiding places beneath your clothes and streaked towards the undead thing, a gnashing cloud of claws and fangs. Still controlling the body with tendrils of mist, Vein met her charge - and stopped her, cold. She whined in keening agony, and you felt her anguish vibrate in your teeth. The corpse of Sir Snout lumbered onwards to meet Cochon on the field, empty handed but eyes blazing with ochre light. Weeping, she slammed her father in the skull with her cudgel, caving it in.

Undaunted, the husk wrenched her weapon away and - casual as anything - broke her arm like a sapling. She collapsed, squealing, and it kicked her ten feet into a snowbank. The Dogblins massed up, finally catching on that they faced an existential threat, and charged the body. You shouted at them to get the hell out of the way, but the battle lust was upon them and they could not be turned aside. Vein wrestled Vups aside for a moment, then expanded into a misty cloud that fell among the dog soldiers and blinded them. And then, with frightening efficiency, it seized one of them and grew opaque and solid, crushing the life out of him. All thoughts of mercy gone, you charged, hands ablaze.

You had never fought before. Oh, you’d had your scuffles with your sister, and with the neighbourhood children in the years before the… event, but nothing life or death. As you drove a flaming fist into the mass of Vein, feeling it recoil from the heat of your strike, you felt incongruously awkward. A life or death struggle, yes, but that was part of an adventure, wasn’t it? Wasn’t competence also supposed to be something you just… acquired as part of the deal? You flung your power out in great bursts of light and heat, but Vein was dodging them, parting his mass and pressing ever closer. You were getting tired, already, and Vein was already adapting to your clumsy attacks. ”Oh, human! I wanted this to work out, I really did. But if I can’t ally with you I’ll just take your body for my own. I’ve never tried that, you know. It wasn’t really my purpose, not what he wanted me for but in my AGES OF ABANDONMENT I’ve learned a few TRICKS!”

You flinched back, fire flickering out, as a spear thrust of crimson essence lanced past your guard and streaked towards your face. It lashed your face, drawing a bright line of blood as it crawled towards your nose and mouth. Reflexively, you jumped - once, twice! You felt resistance as you rose, and were startled to see Vein stretched out between his anchor down below and his grip on your face. You reached the apex of your leap and began to slowly fall, towed inexorably back towards the body. Sir Snout - what was left of him - was bloodied and broken, but moved with a strange fluid grace, as though the broken bones just made it easier for Vein to move the body around. ”You attacked me too EARLY, human! You are weak, new at your power - grant it to me willingly and I’ll keep your body intact!” But just your body, was the unspoken promise. You slashed a flaming hand through the viscous smoke of his form, but it just parted around you. ”I was BORN of fire, fool girl! Now stay STILL!”

You’d thought that might be the case. You were brand new to all this magic stuff, but you’d spent a hell of a lot of time imagining it. Fairies, magic, pacts and devils. You kicked yourself for not thinking of it earlier. Malevolent quasi-solid spirit entity that burned away the souls of those it claimed or a simple curl of smoke rising from a candle, surely fire and smoke were allies. But if heat and life were its allies…

...what of cold and death? The Cold Man tackled Sir Snout and Vein shivered apart and rushed in a torrent back down towards its host. Howling in anger (or pain), Vein sank into its body and forced it to expand unnaturally, stretching the hog’s flesh taut around a skeletally thin frame. Its first blow broke the Cold Man’s outstretched arm, but it recoiled as though it had been burned, and a chill blue light spurted from the wound. You touched down and considered the scene.

The ‘Blins had been scattered, but your quick thinking in pulling Vein into the air had distracted the host long enough to let them rally. Cochon was bleeding and dazed but radiating vengeance. Obei cowered behind a chunk of ice, and gave a powerful ‘what the hell am supposed to do!?’ gesture when you raised an eyebrow at him. Vups looked… bad, but she nodded reassuringly at you when you pulsed a mental query at her. Your Terrible Mittens had held up well even in the melee, and remained unsullied by blood… you clenched them into a fist and stared Vein down. He had cast the Cold Man down, shattered, but looked worse for the wear himself. He caught your glance and narrowed his eyes, then flicked them towards the ‘Blins and bared what remained of Sir Snout’s teeth. The hairs on the back of your neck prickled - he was going to kill them. Unless you stopped him, now! You gritted your teeth. He was stronger than you, you could feel it, but you could...
  • Sacrifice Cold Man! It hurt him before - it would have to be enough now!
  • Sacrifice Obei! Time to earn your keep, Obei! Send him after the thing and… distract it. Then… kill it?
  • Sacrifice Vups! It hurt you to even consider it, but Vups could go toe to toe with the thing, briefly. Maybe long enough?
  • Sacrifice Cochon! Less of a sacrifice and more of a… not physically interceding to prevent her from suicidally striking at Vein. That was an important difference - right?
  • Sacrifice the ‘Blins! They would die, but the distraction might give you the time you need to somehow kill him!
  • Sacrifice Yourself! Fine, it wanted you? Let it try! Step between it and its quarry and let the dice fall how they may!
  • Sacrifice Nothing!! Maybe you could… you could… you could try to save everyone, and lose everything. Vein was wild with rage, the ‘Blins were wild with vengeance, and anything other than total commitment would see things get even worse. But maybe...
-O-O-
Oh, how delicious. A full octet of Lozenges, each bursting with delightful vigour. Not like that decript thing that old beast was wearing in its brow, no - fresh and clean and pure, like mountain spring water! Not that the Flits knew the taste of water, of course, but since when had that ever stopped them from making wild and baseless comparisons! A shame she would probably die here and turn into unmoving meat mush and her Lozenergy lost into the void. Oh well!

[Charges: 3] [Lozenge A - 83/100] [Lozenge B - 92/100] [Lozenge C - 100/100] [Lozenge D - 84/100] [Lozenge E - 66/100] [Lozenge F - 100/100] [Lozenge G - 82/100] [Lozenge H - 100/100]

:siren:[Character and Inventory Changes!]:siren:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Lozenergy: 2, so back to single dice rolls for me.

Sacrifice Cold Man

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Sacrifice something? No, sacrifice everything.
We're all in now, no point holding anything back. Vein knows it can't kill the human, lest it be forced back to a life of feeding on blins for the remainder of its years, and everything else thrown buys precious time for the remainder to strike.
Or to put it another way: "Be willing to sacrifice everything in the hopes of keeping something."

-Double Upgrade Cochon, awaken their dormant (hopefully pigzerker) power! :black101:

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 11, 2019

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Sacrifice Cold Man

Upgrad Cold Man, Upgrad Cochon

Derive Lozenergy: 1d6 3

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 11, 2019

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
> Sacrifice Yourself - You're the one Vein wants! Spare the others by offering yourself and then fighting back!

> Wear Vups around your face as a protective ghost mask!

> UPGRAD:
- Handful of Snow -> (+1 Charge) = Ice Crystal -> (+2 Charges) = Ice Crystal lvl 2 - Give ourselves ice powers to fight back!
OR:
- Cochon -> (+1 Charge) and Cold Man -> (+2 Charges) - Give our allies more fighting power and heal their broken arms!

> Chip off the ol' Soul Lozenge: 1d6 4

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Pick at Lozenge F: 1d6 5

Sacrifice Self
Double Upgrade Mittens
Smother Vein

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Unleash Lozenergy: 2d6 9

Sacrifice everything. Commit everything. Overwhelm it. Upgrade Spark.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Sacrifice Cold Man!
No Upgrades

Go mine icy minion!

Flitting for 9

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Sacrifice Cold Man! - we loved ye, but we hardly knew thee
No Upgrad

Lozenge H - part 1: 2d6 7

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
2d6 = 11

Sacrifice Nothing
Upgrade Cochon and the Cold Man

time for an all out attack

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Flit: 3#1d6 6 2 2=10 Vs E

Sacrifice self!
Upgrad clothing twice, let's get some armour here!
If we get another lozenge, upgrad gloves, PUNCH IT

Upgrad spark
If there's another lozenge, upgrad clothes

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 11, 2019

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh no no no not a sacrifice :ohdear:

We must make sure Vein stays down. Invest in Cold Man and sacrifice him!

Lozenergize F: 2d6 4 …oh.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Chip down That Lozenge: 2d6 = 10

Upgrade the Cold Man to Mr. Freeze.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Sacrifice The Cold Man. RIP, you helpful stranger once lost, now lost again.
Upgrad Vups.

Credit where it's due, Flit The First always did work very hard to get in the leading position. Just not quite hard enough.

Flit The First: 2d6 11 vs Lozenge E

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Upgrade Cold Man
Sacrifice Cold Man

man, if only someone had proposed upgrading Cold Man to deal with this thing earlier
Lozenergize: 2d6 5

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Upgrade Cold Man
Sacrifice Cold Man

lo: 2d6 10

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sacrifice Cold Man

Rolling... = 7!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You breathed out, a rush of luminous air that passed through Vein’s form like arrows. He was unharmed, but his misty body bristled with spikes of irritation. ”Wasted! Wasting all your energy! I could use it, we could use it, to make things better! And all this to protect these little dregs? Feh! Here, I’ll make things simpler for you!” He flooded back towards his distorted body, and he was faster than you… but not faster than your Charge.

The Cold Man coughed, then splintered as shards of ice forced their way through his skin. It looked gruesome, and you didn’t think much of his chances in a knock-down fight - but this wasn’t that kind of battle. He radiated cold, and as he latched onto Sir Snout’s mangled limb it froze, and Vein howled in frustration and (hopefully) pain. The shapeshifting spirit slammed itself over and over into the undead being, further shattering its ruined flesh… but it was scarcely animate in the first place, and every strike just released a frozen mist that ate away at the hot smoke. Vein screamed, incoherent now, and the ‘Blins pressed their advantage, lobbing spears and rocks (and snowballs) at Cochon’s late father. Cochon herself struck the final blow, severing the pulped skull from the body, to which a much weakened Vein clung feebly. With a wail somewhere between a battle cry and a sob, Vein dragged himself away from the melee, trailing a frozen, broken body.

You bent down next to the pitiful creature and grabbed the diamond-shaped wedge of energy projecting from its brow. He screamed incoherently once more, but you gave a sharp tug and, with a sudden snap, it came loose. The strangely viscous cloud-mass seemed to *pop*, releasing a great woosh of fragrant smelling smoke the drifted away and was lost to the wind. The Charge you’d taken - if that’s what it was - flashed brightly, then vanished, sinking painfully into your palm but not leaving a mark behind. You fell back, exhausted and bloody, feeling decidedly mixed about your victory. The ‘Blins celebrated and mourned, crowding around you excitedly. You were happy for them, of course - Vein had corrupted their history and tainted the honor of their ancestors, after all - but you felt strangely hollow.

Your Cold Man was little more than a pile of bones and mush, now, having been smashed to bits even as it killed Vein. You didn't feel bad, since you'd only raised him on a whim anyhow, but the loss of the Charges involved was… Uncomfortable to think about. ”Don't worry about it, kid. There's more where that came from. Besides, you didn't come out of this empty handed.” A cluster of eyes opened and stared at your hand, where you'd grabbed that Charge earlier. It still burned, but didn't hurt. You could feel it inside you, distinct but similar to the other Charges. “A little bit of that thing clings to that one. Not enough to cause you trouble, but definitely enough to twist whatever you invest. Anyhow, time to go.”

That caught your attention. Go? Go where? “Sweet Pit, girl, you didn't think you were stuck in this Room, did you? There's so much more to see and give and do and take. Besides, it's cold here. Find me at dawn two days hence and we'll go.” And then he was gone. Wait, find him where? You were interrupted by an insistent tugging at your sleeve: Cochon. “Giant, we must move on the Pigburgh. That… Creature was the father of lies, but I fear the worst.” Her eyes were sunken with pain and grief, but a faint anger smouldered in them as she gazed up at you. Wait, did she blame YOU for this? For her father's death - or for hesitating while listening to Vein’s offer?

You pressed your eyes shut, then nodded. She was right about the village, at any rate. Ignoring your weariness for the moment, you helped the Dogblins gather their casualties and repack for the trip. You also considered the corpse of the Cold Man. Seemed a shame to waste materials?

• Cold Bone A rib, or a finger maybe. Cold and crystalline to the touch.
  • Cold Tooth An incisor, ice sharp and chilly. Has a small cavity..
  • Graveslush You scoop a bit off the grisly gunk into a bottle. You do NOT want to drink it as it is
  • Leave It It was a loyal servant for the day or so you had it, you supposed. Rest in pieces.
It was dawn when you reached Pigburgh, the little place cute as ever. And, notably, undestroyed, apart from a bit of fresh blood. There HAD been an ATTACK, you learned,a midnight raid that left several dead. Vein setting up a cover story, you assumed. What would be have done if you'd killed the Dogblins and followed him back? Claimed that he'd feared the worst and panicked, an old pig jumping at terrors? Looking at the confused and frightened villagers, you felt less bad about killing the bastard. The presence of the Dogblins was met with anxiety, but Cochon’s impassioned words first cooled their ire, then inflamed their passion, then finally settled them on a feverish gratitude towards the giant that had saved two peoples from a demon! You noticed that she left out the portion where you parleyed with the creature before slaying it, but said nothing.

And then it was time for another feast! The Dogblins fit right in, ages of enmity apparently no match for their natural exuberance. You already heard them planning for reparations and possibly even a merger of the two societies, which had you shaking your head. How naive. A voice spoke from your lapel, nearly whispering. “Perhaps it'll work out for them. You know, better than it did for your folk. What's the worst that could happen, right?” You closed your eyes against unbidden memories and forced his voice out of your mind. He was right. Trying to unite their clans would be a disaster. You couldn't just sit by and let it happen… Could you?
  • Tell Them Not To Unite It would only lead to tears.
  • Say Nothing Let them make their own choices.
  • Encourage Them Maybe you were wrong - who were you to impose your values on them?
That afternoon you sat with Obei and Vups and looked at the clouds passing. Obei was quiet but in a thoughtful sort of way instead of his typical grumpy sort of way. Eventually he spoke. “Listen… I'm sorry I froze up back there. I just… I don't know why you keep me around. Like you caught me and bound me, but you've got me, like, carrying crap for you. It's not going to cut it here. You aren't going to be able to depend on me - and I'M not going to be able to depend on me - unless you cut me a little slack and Invest me.”
  • Agree and Invest Him He's right, he'd be much more useful if you specialized him somehow...
  • Agree, But Later He's of course right, but for now you had better uses for your Charges.
  • Disagree Nope, he was out of luck. He definitely did not get a say in this, anyhow!
Your thoughts were interrupted by an expected visitor. Cochon looked much better, her broken arm splinted and her other wounds salved, but her eyes were like flat stones. “Giant, you have saved us all from ourselves, and for that I thank you. I have been voted in as head of Pigburgh due to my father's… Disappearance. He must have been taken in the attack by the demon, or so they say… I thank you, too, for making the right choice back there. I can… Try to understand the lure of such a power to one such as you, and the demon was a master of lies besides…” She was silent, staring at you, before speaking carefully. “But I cannot shake the feeling that you were tempted to see us all fall to gain that power. You resisted, but… You frighten me, giant. Human. If any of what that demon said bore a grain of truth, your kind created it - and us - on a whim, then abandoned us to all the misery of a purposeless tool. I fear that if I follow you the same fate will befall me. And so I beg of you… Release me from our bond.”

That rocked you back on your heels. Well, all of it, but particularly that she felt bound to you by her word. Her father had sent her to be your companion, but he'd turned out to be some kind of monster. She couldn't possibly still think… One glance at her told you she was deadly serious.
  • Release Her You were bound under false pretenses. Let her go to be with her people.
  • Keep Her Bound You could use her, and her people owed your twice over. Just… Borrow her, for a bit.
  • Convince Her To Stay Try to convince her to stay with you, somehow. You'd just have to think of something particularly clever...
Time rolled on, but Pigburgh’s celebrations never ceased. Bleary eyed, you woke the second dawn to see dozens of eyes staring at you. A crooked grin split the masonry. “Finally awake. Alright, let's go. We have a bounty of choices, plenty of Rooms for you to visit. Or you could go home, I GUESS. So where to first?”
  • The Sky! ...It just looked like a sunny sky? You could see something - large somethings - hidden in the clouds, but otherwise it just looked like empty space.
  • An Alley! This door looked onto an alleyway, but not like anything you'd ever seen before. Walls, floors, and decorations all made from the same crystalline white stone, looking more like a model of a place then anywhere real.
  • A Hole! A deep hole yawned before you, full of what looked like black oil. It smelled heavily spiced, and you could see sinuous shapes flitting beneath the surface.
  • Wait! Hold on, you wanted to stay here! You could help them, or explore. It was a whole wide world!
  • Your Room! Holy poo poo, that was your room! It looked so small now, but that was it. Was it really as simple as all that to get home?
-O-O-
Oho, something new! An alien Charge, stripped from an enemy Invested! Oh, and it was a feisty one too, full of delicious, kinetic, change! The human would make good use of it. Or so the Flits hoped. Much more interesting that way!

[Charges: 2 / Vein Charge] [Lozenge A - 83/100] [Lozenge B - 92/100] [Lozenge C - 100/100] [Lozenge D - 84/100] [Lozenge E - 100/100] [Lozenge F - 91/100] [Lozenge G - 57/100] [Lozenge H - 93/100]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 23, 2019

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Cold Man Remains
2: Cold Tooth, aka the "Frost Bite"

Hogblin & Dogblin Unification
3: Encourage them

Upgrading Obei Mii
1: Agree and invest Charge

Much Ado About Cochon
1: Release her

Where to go?
4: Wait! Didn't we want to go to the mountain peak?

UPGRAD
Nothing aside from Obei Mii.

Lozenergy
Chip off the ol' Soul Lozenge: 1d6 5

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Take the Graveslush, pour it into Cochons Dad's Corpse and charge it with the vein charge to create the Dadbominable Snowdad we never had.

Release Cochon.

Upgrade Obei Mei Later

Stay Mum on Unification.

Chip down That Lozenge: 2d6 7

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Cold Man Remains
Graveslush

Hogblin & Dogblin Unification
Say Nothing

Upgrading Obei Mii
Agree and invest Charge

Much Ado About Cochon
Release her

Where to go?
The Sky!

UPGRAD
There are probably more abandoned Charge carriers in the pit. Lets not waste them!
Use Vein's charge to upgrad Terrible Mittens into Lozenge Lifters, that can rip the charge out of things like Vein used to do.

ldz: 2d6 8

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Leave it - RIP and thank you, dead stranger.

Encourage Them - just invent ways to sort out disputes without resorting to violence! Have fun contests, instead of unfun battles. Oh, and go easy on the oaths. Especially blood ones.

Agree, Immediately - 2 Charges (normal) spent to make Obei better at being himself. Also, now you know TWO Secrets of his. Yup! That's just how it works, yannow?

Convince Her To Stay - The world can be a scary place sometimes, but what people do in it is what makes it better or worse. If doing the right thing was easy, it wouldn't be hard - or at all impressive - to resist the temptation of simple answers. So she can stay in Pigburgh, with simple answers and joys, or she can come look for more serious ones, with you, Obei and Vups. And you'll tell her a little bit more about the outside world, where all the other giants live.

The Sky! - Because vistas and clouds are neat and enjoyable. And oooh, what's that moving up there? Is it a bird?

Upgrad
Use Vein's charge to upgrad Terrible Mittens into Lozenge Lifters, that can rip the charge out of things like Vein used to do.

Flit The First lazily flicked at the furthest lozenge, not really feeling it today.

Flit The First: 2d6 3 vs Lozenge H

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Cold Tooth

Say Nothing They'll have to live with their choices after we're gone.

Agree and Invest Him
"Why do I keep you around Obei? Because you're my friend. I'm just waiting for you to realize I'm your friend too. Of course I'll invest you; become brawny, an amazingly ripped physical specimen of your froggy species."

Release Her
"If there is any Dogblin or Hogblin that wishes to accompany me on my adventures in Cochon's place, please join me. I can't guarantee I can get you back home safely, but it should be an interesting trip."

An Alley!

No Upgrad - this is a vote to not upgrad anything (besides Obei, because Obei appears to be a special upgrad request this round covered by a posty vote, not a per-turn upgrad vote)

Lozenge H - part 2: 2d6 11

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Remains: Offer your gratitude for Cold Man, if they hadn't died on their own journey, you may not have lived to see the end of yours. Afterwards, take two teeth, a canine and a molar.

Unite: The Tribes should unite, but not today, and least of all because you said so. They should take their time, trade, send envoys, get to know eachother first, and see if they really want to unite, or just remain friendly neighbors.

Release Her: Your word is good as your bond little blin, the same cannot be said of Vein. You are free. But, there is one last task we would have you do, if you would be willing: Take these teeth, one for the dogblins, one for the pigblins, and let the people know that the Cold Man was the real hero of their strange and merry band to arrive. Let these teeth stand as their memorial, because frankly there isn't enough left of the Cold Man for a proper burial. . . Probably should leave that last bit out of any retellings. Offer an upgrade, but don't push the matter if they say no.

Wait!: There was a more normal sized village here, wasn't there? Could be worth a look before we move on.

Upgrade Obei:You've done well Obei, and you are right: for the dangers ahead, you need to grow stronger. For your service so far however, a question before that: Is there anything you hand in mind, or do you simply wish to be better in general? Decide for yourself, and we will make it so.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Abandon the remains of the Cold Man. A mute cipher, used and discarded. No need to compound the error.

Encourage them. Remind them of all they have lost, because Vein wanted to exploit them. Every action of cooperation and unity spits upon Vein's grave, and restores the honour of the generations of victims to that outsider who drove a rift between Hogblin and Dogblin.

Agree, but Later. Point at the remains of the Cold man, remind him of the consequences of investment without purpose. We want Obei to be the best he can be, empowered with true purpose to great ends, not merely given directionless energy that might overwrite the parts of him we like best. So, together we shall go forward, find that purpose and magnify our loyal companion.

Release her. She has seen much and suffered much, lost her nearest and dearest. Go with our blessing, and may your path lead to peace and prosperity.

Choose a path at random: 1d5 1 The Sky.

Unleash Lozenergy: 2d6 6

No upgrads at this time, see what the new room needs.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 17, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Leave It

Encourage Them

Agree and Invest Him

Keep Her Bound

A Hole!

9 flits

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Take Cold Tooth. Not because we should invest in it, but to appease our protagonist's odd habits.
Say Nothing. Humans have already caused them far too much harm. I'd rather not meddle further.
Agree and Invest in Obei: Let him choose the direction. Ask Obei to equip himself with -blin gear so we can upgrade it with him.
Release Her. We already have enough prisoners. It's probably more ethical to upgrade nonsentient items.
Your Room! Because it's totally not our room. Upgrad is messing with us. I want to see how.

Break Through Lozenge F: 1d6 1

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Gravelush

Say Nothing

Agree and Invest him (with the vein Charge)

Convince her to stay (Upgrade her)

Wait
and Establish a base before leaving

2d6 = 7

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Cold Tooth, Encourage, Agree and Invest, Release Her, Wait!

Derive Lozenergy: 1d6 1

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Arcanuse posted:

Remains: Offer your gratitude for Cold Man, if they hadn't died on their own journey, you may not have lived to see the end of yours. Afterwards, take two teeth, a canine and a molar.

Unite: The Tribes should unite, but not today, and least of all because you said so. They should take their time, trade, send envoys, get to know eachother first, and see if they really want to unite, or just remain friendly neighbors.

Release Her: Your word is good as your bond little blin, the same cannot be said of Vein. You are free. But, there is one last task we would have you do, if you would be willing: Take these teeth, one for the dogblins, one for the pigblins, and let the people know that the Cold Man was the real hero of their strange and merry band to arrive. Let these teeth stand as their memorial, because frankly there isn't enough left of the Cold Man for a proper burial. . . Probably should leave that last bit out of any retellings. Offer an upgrade, but don't push the matter if they say no.

Wait!: There was a more normal sized village here, wasn't there? Could be worth a look before we move on.

]Upgrade Obei:You've done well Obei, and you are right: for the dangers ahead, you need to grow stronger. For your service so far however, a question before that: Is there anything you hand in mind, or do you simply wish to be better in general? Decide for yourself, and we will make it so.[s/]

This seems good.

Lozenergy: 6. What goes down must come up, apparently.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Alas, Cold Man. Were it not for your sacrifice, the child's journey would've come to a very quick end. Thank you for your service, even though we barely got to know you. Well, maybe we wouldn't regardless. Take a finger, it might serve as a skeleton key later?

As for the 'blins, let them decide on their own. Some will, some won't. Hopefully they'll do better as neighbours now after Vein's deceit is no longer an issue. Maybe they'll be better people than we were. Arcanuse said it pretty well:

Arcanuse posted:

The Tribes should unite, but not today, and least of all because I said so. They should take their time, trade, send envoys, get to know eachother first, and see if they really want to unite, or just remain friendly neighbors.

Obei's heart is in the right place. We kinda neglected him because of the situations that rose, but we mustn't forget he's with us and for us. Let's invest some power into him, though let him have say/power in how he will grow.

Cochon is to be released. It's rather horrifying to think she thought herself so bound and endebted to us. Release her. It's what she wants.

The Alley looks inviting. Let's head in there!

Also,

Scribbleykins posted:

Upgrad
is a good idea.

Lozenergize F: 2d6 8

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Flit: 3#1d6 5 1 4

Get bone
Let them decide for themselves
Invest in Obei
Release her
Sky

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lozenergize: 2d6 8

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You jiggled the Cold Tooth in your pocket thoughtfully, considering your options carefully. It was cold to the touch and felt like a fleck of crystal, which was just as well since it distracted you from the fact that you were carrying around a human tooth. Really, that ought to have bothered you more, but you were sort of an odd duck to begin with, and the token was both a memento of a loyal servant and maybe a seed something else.

You tried to focus once more. To the Sky or to remain here? Not even HERE really, since you'd resolved to let the ‘Blins make their own mistakes and not meddle in their reunification. You had such reservations that you knew you couldn't stay among them? Besides, Cochon did not appear to want you around, and you'd released her to lead her people. You fervently hoped her bitterness wouldn't make things even harder for them, but maybe once the irritant (read: you) was removed, this clam could make a pearl. Pearls before swine? There was a better line there somewhere…

“Ahem. Hey, boss? Where to?” Obei looked at once impatient and almost concerned. He stood a little straighter than normal ever since you'd agreed to Invest him - but that you'd let him choose how. That part he'd seemed to appreciate even more than the power. At any rate, he stood before you unchanged, save for the few Hogblin clothes and arms he’d managed to scrounge up. “I'll save it for when I really need it”, he'd said, and apparently that was something he could do! You'd felt the Charge pass into him, and even now you could still feel it. Probably even take it back if you needed to, tough you suspect Obei would take that… Poorly.

You took a step forward. Though you broadly liked it here and were curious just how large this Room was, this wasn't the place for you. You couldn't stay in any of these places, anyhow - you had a mission. Find power, save your home. And, much as you hated to admit it, a land seeking a fragile peace wasn't the place to dredge for natural power.

And so, with a glance backwards, you stepped into the Sky.

---
You were falling. The wind howled around you as you tumbled towards the… huh. Below you, all you could see was an endless expanse of water, but when you tried to focus on it your vision slid up towards the horizon, such that trying to see where the sky began and the sea ended quickly became a disorienting jumble. After a moment of animal panic, you took a breath and felt your Raven Charm activate, after which you just… floated.

You were falling - you could feel the air pushing past you, tousling your hair - but not at any appreciable speed. You didn’t even look like you were getting any closer to the… nope, disorientation turned to nausea as you looked down, so instead you looked up. The sky above you looked like endless layers of clouds, giving the same sort of impression as below. You almost felt like you were inside of a giant marble, the vast edges of which were just beyond your comprehension.

So you stopped even trying. There was lots of weird stuff here, and impossible dimensions were the least of your troubles. At least they weren’t trying to kill you. You silently thanked your Charm, too, because this would have been far more stressful if you weren’t lazily drifting on the wind. As it was, it was kinda fun! Turning this way and that, your cape billowing behind you, you felt like you were flying! Hot here, though. You awkwardly stripped off gloves and your undershirt and shoes (not much need of them here!) and stowed them as tightly as you could in your pack and kept right on falling. No sense being embarassed here, far away from anyone you’d ever known, and probably far from anyone at all.

You kept falling slowly. Strange birds hooted in the distance, and titanic cloudscapes awed you. Dimly, through one of them, you spotted something massive, or else something merely enormous casting a massive shadow. Without thinking, you felt yourself angling towards it, and you moved slowly in that direction. Huh. The Charm was only supposed to let you get a boost of jumping power, but it also let you change directions while falling just passively - and technically you were falling! You hadn’t expended its powerful upward force yet, but you wouldn’t sure it would recharge without touching down on a solid surface, and there weren’t any around.

Now that you could direct yourself, you felt even more like you were flying. Small tears of joy stung your eyes, and for a blessed moment your mind was entirely clear of the anguish that had been plaguing you since the… event. Vups circled around you, cackling in joyful fox-tongue, but Obei tapped your shoulder from his perch. “Boss, trouble.” You craned to face his pointing finger and saw them.

Long, lashing figures that trailed vapor as they moved swooped towards you. You’d never seen their like, but it didn’t take a world-famous naturalist to recognize a predator in its element. You tensed for a fight.
  • Do Something Cool These things didn’t look that dangerous (not compared to something as wily and ancient as Vein had been), but you were also unused to fighting while falling forever, and these things looked right at home. You’d probably have to get a bit creative.
-O-O-
A new Room, but that would hardly keep the Flits away. It was harder to keep track of her in the Expanse, but she was basically only moving in one direction: down. Once they’d accustomed themselves to the change, the Flits swarmed her the same as before.

[Charges: 2 / 1 Vein Charge / 1 Obei-Locked] [Lozenge A - 83/100] [Lozenge B - 92/100] [Lozenge C - 100/100] [Lozenge D - 84/100] [Lozenge E - 100/100] [Lozenge F - 89/100] [Lozenge G - 100/100] [Lozenge H - 71/100]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Upgrad charm of the raven
Use new upgrad'd flight to land on back of dragon, ride it.

Flit: 3#1d6 2 1 6

Dragon: claim sky tile. Move towards human. Choose CYOA choice that grants human Thrall.