Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
What do you for freezing? Vacuum sealer? Ziploc freezer bag? Tupperware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For soups I've always used 1 gallon ziploc bags and frozen them so they end up flat. The thawing process is way faster than if you freeze them in a Tupperware.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use delitainers for liquids and stews because i just like how they stack/line up. When it’s time to thaw I’ll just plop the whole slug into a pot on high. If I’m in a rush I’ll throw some water in the pot to create steam

For other things I’ll use ziplocs if I don’t care about the texture and foodsaver bags if I do

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Bagheera posted:

Is the Kitchen Aid pasta roller accessory worth it?

I'm a big fan of Joshua Weissman's You Tube channel. He's great at explaining complex recipes and just being fun to watch. He posted a video on homemade pasta, which makes me want to try it.

1) Is making homemade pasta as easy as Weismann makes it look?

2) Any preference between a hand-cranked pasta roller and a stand mixer attachment?

Update: I bought the Marcato Atlas 150. It was highly recommended in this and other threads. I couldn't justify the high price of motorized rollers (especially the Kitchen-Aid attachment).

I made a batch of pasta with 200g flour (King Arthur all purpose) and 2 eggs. It was about 5 feet long by the time I got it rolled out. I needed my wife's help to manage it all before we thought to just cut it into pieces.

We made spaghetti and linguine with the two attachments. We forgot to dust the dough with flour, so the spaghetti stuck together pretty badly. We boiled it in heavily salted water for about 5 minutes. It was so delicious we ate it without any seasoning. I'm very happy I bought this gadget.

The plan now is to make a whole bunch of pasta and freeze it. Spaghetti and meatballs is one thing our picky toddler consistently eats. We're going to freeze a bunch of raw linguine and mixed (but not cooked) meatballs. Quick and delicious meal for when we don't feel like cooking.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Now I have the crazy idea to put a bunch of masa through the pasta roller to make easy tortillas.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I doubt that'll be any easier then a press or just getting used to the one handing rolling and turning like you do for dumpling dough.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
It's that time again, folks! It's time for a dumb food safety question:

I put a frozen salmon fillet in a bowl of cool water last night to quick thaw it so I could marinate it in the fridge over night. Instead I forgot about it and it sat in room temp (60-ish degrees probably) over night. I'm guessing I should toss it and try again?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely toss it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BraveUlysses posted:

definitely toss it

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, toss it, sorry. Anything at that close to room temperature for more than about 4 hours is going to be infection vector city. Also, wash your hands.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Alright, thanks. Fortunately it was some salmon that I already broke down into individual servings so it's only 4oz going into the trash and not a full fillet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ignore these squares, maybe “high fish” is the next big thing

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting myself a good dutch oven. Le Creuset has their 2 3/4 Qt on sale. https://www.lecreuset.com/shallow-round-dutch-oven#92=616

I want a small-medium size one for home and camping use. I suspect this might fit the bill, but does anyone have this particular size? Or should I just get the traditional large boi https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven

I've also never had enameled cast iron, is it like cleaning regular cast iron?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would definitely read a guide or FAQ so you know what you're getting into. You take care of it like a regular pot (plenty of soap and hot water), you don't want a tiny one, and you don't want to take it camping. For your needs a Le Creuset might not be what you want.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting myself a good dutch oven. Le Creuset has their 2 3/4 Qt on sale. https://www.lecreuset.com/shallow-round-dutch-oven#92=616

I want a small-medium size one for home and camping use. I suspect this might fit the bill, but does anyone have this particular size? Or should I just get the traditional large boi https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven

You wash it like stainless steel, but stuff doesn't stick to it as hard as it would to stainless.

Sometimes you get burnt on messes. You can occasionally take steel wool or abrasive pads to them

edit: and yeah 2.75q seems small for home use and i'd be worried about it chipping if it was banging around with other camping gear

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Get one of these for home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4WN08/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And one of these for camping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RWYI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (or one of the ones that has little feet to make it easier to put over some coals)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For camping you definitely need cast iron for durability. But you ALSO must have both feet on the bottom and a deep concave rim on top. This allows the oven to be placed in the coals correctly, and allows coals to be placed on top as well. It will also have a steel loop handle over the top that allows for hanging from a tripod or some such for lower heat stew applications.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

what in the hell kind of camping do you all do that makes you want to lug a five pound pot around

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hauki posted:

what in the hell kind of camping do you all do that makes you want to lug a five pound pot around

Camper/RV camping

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For camping you definitely need cast iron for durability. But you ALSO must have both feet on the bottom and a deep concave rim on top. This allows the oven to be placed in the coals correctly, and allows coals to be placed on top as well. It will also have a steel loop handle over the top that allows for hanging from a tripod or some such for lower heat stew applications.

all this.
the camping dutch oven should look like this: https://www.lodgemfg.com/camp-dutch-oven?sku=L12CO3

without that lip, it's much harder to use for baking.

You can still use it at home, but the feet make it annoying to pull in and out of the oven. Learned that the hard way practicing for a camp cooking competition.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hauki posted:

Canoe mostly. Also if you have horses. Not so great for backpacking, true, but there's lots of kinds of camping.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Steve Yun posted:

You wash it like stainless steel, but stuff doesn't stick to it as hard as it would to stainless.

Sometimes you get burnt on messes. You can occasionally take steel wool or abrasive pads to them

edit: and yeah 2.75q seems small for home use and i'd be worried about it chipping if it was banging around with other camping gear

Baking soda works wonders and is less abrasive than steel wool or abrasive pads.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Copper wool supremacy

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
For pho stock, what spices usually make their way in there? I have tried a few different ways, good results, but I am still off a little bit and I can't nail what's missing or what shouldn't be there. Mine is usually whatever meat I am using + white onion, shallot, green onion, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemon grass, star ainse, cinnamon, a lot of cilantro, thai basil if I can find or I just omit (not sure if holy basil is more appropriate, but I would bet this is what's throwing me off a lot), fish sauce, whole black pepper, whole white pepper. I have seen mentions of fennel, cloves, and other things in the stock too.

also, would like a good recipe or general flavor profile for meatballs for said broth.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

THE MACHO MAN posted:

For pho stock, what spices usually make their way in there? I have tried a few different ways, good results, but I am still off a little bit and I can't nail what's missing or what shouldn't be there. Mine is usually whatever meat I am using + white onion, shallot, green onion, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemon grass, star ainse, cinnamon, a lot of cilantro, thai basil if I can find or I just omit (not sure if holy basil is more appropriate, but I would bet this is what's throwing me off a lot), fish sauce, whole black pepper, whole white pepper. I have seen mentions of fennel, cloves, and other things in the stock too.

also, would like a good recipe or general flavor profile for meatballs for said broth.

Have a look at this recipe and masterclass by a Vietnamese-Australian.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/browse-all/angie-hongs-pho-14237

It looks like you are adding too many as she just adds star anise, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves and coriander which are dry roasted first and put into a spice bag. The onions and ginger are also charred on a grill before going in.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Alright so I'm working on prepping lunches in advance. I'll cook up my rice, it'll taste great, and I'll divide it out into my to-go containers (air-tight, made of glass), but then when I go to eat it it's crunchy and clumping together.

Does anyone have some tips for a lame chef like me on how I can keep my rice good through the week?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you add a spritz of water to your rice before reheating, that'll help a lot in my experience. I can get a couple extra days out of pre-prepped rice this way before nothing stops it from being dry garbage after microwaving.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or a wetted paper towel over the top of the rice works too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In my experience you’ve got to reheat it enough too (this is why the sprinkling is recommended). During cooling the starches actually physically change from being gelatinized to re-crystallizing (called retrogradation). You have to get it hot enough to re-gelatinize the starch so it’s not chalky.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're willing to go through the hassle, the best way to store rice for lunches is to wrap the portion tightly with saran wrap while it's still hot (you want the steam captured), then freeze it. Toss that little package in the microwave for a couple minutes and let it sit 30 seconds or so before you unwrap it. This doesn't work so well for long grain, but your standard short grain sticky East Asian rice comes back as close as you're going to get to fresh made this way.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're willing to go through the hassle, the best way to store rice for lunches is to wrap the portion tightly with saran wrap while it's still hot...

Would sandwich bags with the air squeezed out work just as well?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've used sandwich bags, never packed them when they were hot, I'd just throw a wet paper towel over them to steam while microwaving, always seemed to work surprisingly well

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Liar posted:

Are sandwich bags microwave safe? I've never tried but I don't recall seeing it on any boxes

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Ignore these squares, maybe “high fish” is the next big thing

Norwegian spotted

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Liar posted:

The steam would inflate the bag so there'd be space for the rice to dry out. I can't imagine it'd work very well.

I can't think of anything else to work for an entire week. You can soak the rice well and it'll stay okay for the next day in my experience, like onigiri. Day after that you could have fried rice. But there's two more days to go.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I put soups or stews over my rice. It helps.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I make brown rice that lasts all week. When it finishes cooking, i portion it into individual ziplocs or tupperware. If it's ziplocs, I roll it out flat and quickly get out the air. It doesn't reinflate. Either way, on the day of, I put it in a bowl and it microwaves back to the original texture.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can i get a little help with inspiration? I'd really appreciate some supporting flavor direction.

I've got a vague idea for dinner tonight:
chicken thighs, mushrooms, and kale served over dumpling/egg noodles.

Perhaps chicken stock, mustard, garlic and maybe some sour cream/canned mushroom soup?
I'd prefer something a little less rich, but am open to suggestion.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Got capers and lemon? Piccata is tasty and simple. So is something like a chicken marsala (or any other fortified or non fortified wine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

Got capers and lemon? Piccata is tasty and simple. So is something like a chicken marsala (or any other fortified or non fortified wine)

This

or puttanesca work pretty easily and without much forethought or work.