Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or that there are plots resolved by withholding atomic washing machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
I for one, really liked brother Day's performance in the Spiral, always a pleasure to watch a former alumni of Derek Zoolander's Centre for Beefcakes that can't Act Good but Want to.

It really whetted my appetite for scifi dystopias so followed up with watching Invasion.

Oh boy..

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sebmojo posted:

Or that there are plots resolved by withholding atomic washing machines

Yeah, what happened to all the consumer affairs poo poo?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

That one lady probably blew up all the factories after going into each factory and saying "I will blow up this factory unless you give me the mcguffin" while carrying 20 mcguffins on her belt.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

twistedmentat posted:

My least favorite thing about the entire show is Gaal's dollar store philosophical anecdotes from her mother. To repeat myself "my mother would tell me a fart is just a poop that failed" and act like its the most earth shattering revelation since Plato's allegory of the cave. None of them every meaningful, and every single one just hammered home that the show is desperately trying to prove that its really smart. And i think that's the biggest issue, they fell into the trap that Foundation is supposed to be some smart, heavily philosophical sci-fi work about history and sociology and the nature of power and control and all this high forehead stuff, and kinda ignoring that its also this very pulpy sci-fi. I think its gotten a very mythical reputation over the years as being sci-fi for smart people, that it is somehow above other works. The only other stuff that gets as much reverence is Dune, which also has a lot of heavy stuff, but its also has superpowers. Probably any sci-fi work thats been around for nearly a century at this point is probably thought of as being smarter than it actually is.

Foundation is literally Isaac Asimov reading "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire", and saying, "what about this. . . but in space?" and doing it. You're exactly right in that it's not some uber-deep work of philosophical art or mathematical wonders, but a story that's resolved at various points by things that literally happened to the Roman Empire at different points in time. A small settlement rising amidst hostile factions, religion, trade, emperors seeing danger in capable generals, the over-extension of borders, the stagnation of technology, the gradual receding of borders, the quickening of the fall, the rise of factions fighting over the remnants of the empire, etc. I think Apple and the writers are listening too much the the mythos of Foundation, and didn't really bother to read it for what it was/is/

Rutibex posted:

My biggest regret of the show is no one refers to their gun an Atom Blaster

Also that you only see them twice. Everyone else appears to be using standard sci-fi guns. They look like they just painted the ones from Oblivion black.

Brawnfire posted:

They dropped that and decided to go with punching/shooting, and apparently the foundation and the two remnants of the barbarian kingdoms planning to blow up Coruscant Trantor with the Death Star Invictus, or doing something equally stupid/unnecessary (I have not seen episode 10 as of yet).

Also Roxanne Dawson (B'Elanna Torres from Voyager) directed two episodes which is some sort of ironic poetry in that Voyager was the epitome of wasted potential in a sci-fi show which Foundation appears to be living up to.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
loving hell. That last episode. The gently caress?

Hardin is basically Michael Burnham from STD. Everything in the galaxy has to revolve around her forever. And I don't want to spoil stuff, but the parallels between the two (character, ability, and story wise) are almost lawsuit worthy.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 27, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Well I think it's really progressive that a poorly written black woman can ruin a long established sci fi property instead of a poorly written white man

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ikanreed posted:

Well I think it's really progressive that a poorly written black woman can ruin a long established sci fi property instead of a poorly written white man

Yeah, I think the "poorly written characters" title needs to be spread around a bit more. Then sealed with a nice veneer of "poorly written show".

I honestly think that the Trantor/Emperor storyline deserves its own show away from the rest of this mess. It's the only part of Foundation that makes sense, and it's really not even more than hinted at in the source material.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Blistex posted:

I honestly think that the Trantor/Emperor storyline deserves its own show away from the rest of this mess.

This show absolutely was someone's original IP and then Apple was like "oh hey, what old IP could we license for this?"

It got the starfox adventures treatment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blistex posted:

Foundation is literally Isaac Asimov reading "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire", and saying, "what about this. . . but in space?" and doing it. You're exactly right in that it's not some uber-deep work of philosophical art or mathematical wonders, but a story that's resolved at various points by things that literally happened to the Roman Empire at different points in time. A small settlement rising amidst hostile factions, religion, trade, emperors seeing danger in capable generals, the over-extension of borders, the stagnation of technology, the gradual receding of borders, the quickening of the fall, the rise of factions fighting over the remnants of the empire, etc. I think Apple and the writers are listening too much the the mythos of Foundation, and didn't really bother to read it for what it was/is/

I never knew that, but i read Foundation back when i was like 14 or 15, so i wasn't as well versed in history as I am now, so I would probably pick up on that if i read now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
welp i got the ball rolling you can thank me later :tipshat:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So one thing I always found baffling about the end of the Foundation series, particularly given Asimov's atheism and knowledge of philosophy - and his general level of education - is the justification Trevize gives for choosing Gaia/Galaxia. It's basically Pascal's Wager only a million times worse.
There is no logical reason to assume that intelligent alien life exists, and the absence of any signs of alien civilization despite how far and long Humanity has spread across the galaxy serves as evidence against the proposition.
Furthermore, even assuming there is alien life, there is no reason to assume it would be hostile to humanity.
Third, even assuming that alien life both exists and is hostile, nothing is known about its intentions or its means and so there is no reason to presume that Galaxia would be better suited at defending against it than the other options, or that the other options would do so much worse that the sacrifices Galaxia entails would be worth the tradeoff.

Like it's a version of Pascal's Wager where the terms/nature of what 'so you should believe in God to be safe!' means are unknown and where the very question whether or not God even wants your belief or would/can punish you for failing to believe is a thing. It's Pascal's Wager only every single premise is dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So one thing I always found baffling about the end of the Foundation series, particularly given Asimov's atheism and knowledge of philosophy - and his general level of education - is the justification Trevize gives for choosing Gaia/Galaxia. It's basically Pascal's Wager only a million times worse.
There is no logical reason to assume that intelligent alien life exists, and the absence of any signs of alien civilization despite how far and long Humanity has spread across the galaxy serves as evidence against the proposition.
Furthermore, even assuming there is alien life, there is no reason to assume it would be hostile to humanity.
Third, even assuming that alien life both exists and is hostile, nothing is known about its intentions or its means and so there is no reason to presume that Galaxia would be better suited at defending against it than the other options, or that the other options would do so much worse that the sacrifices Galaxia entails would be worth the tradeoff.

Like it's a version of Pascal's Wager where the terms/nature of what 'so you should believe in God to be safe!' means are unknown and where the very question whether or not God even wants your belief or would/can punish you for failing to believe is a thing. It's Pascal's Wager only every single premise is dumber.

I always took it more as ”psychohistory can only predict human behavior”, and using it will fall apart the second any sort of outside context problem like alien life popped into the mix. Galaxia basically removed human internal divisions altogether, psychohistory just manages them, and fails to do so if its assumptions are suddenly invalid (as seen with the Mule). Think the last line even implied with the Solarian girl that humanity was already capable of developing into something very different than psychohistory could cover. The Second Foundation could try to cover the cracks, but if the problem was too far out of their experience, what then?