Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jeffry, I’ve been a member here for a very long time (had an account since 2000 before this one) and I am glad you are doing this. One question/request. I do not know much/anything about you and I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it would be great to get to know who you are. If you do end up becoming the owner of this place, how do you feel about a post sharing a little about your background and what you look like and what you do in real life?
I kind of love that I luckily picked an undoxxable username back in 2005 and have just been a poster here and nothing else since. I do imagine my name will get out eventually but I'm not exactly excited about the prospect and will relish just being "Jeffrey of YOSPOS, guy who likes the forums" a little longer. I will tell you that my friends call me Jeff. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There are always unknown unknowns but I know the server hosting cost and rough forums store income numbers. I think we'll be fine without any sort of specific fundraisers but, well, I don't know what I don't know.

so much does hosting cost?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

we can al get to see jeffreys face on a mugshot in 15 years

I got my mug shot printed on a coffee cup ergo I think I should be the new owner of the forums. I didn't even beat anyone!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

N'thing questions on what is going to happen to mods/admins that were complicit in covering up Lowtaxs abuses

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pick posted:

Like less than 24 hours ago we had a thread about burning down low taxes house because people know where he lives and got a photo of his house and what car is he drives and poo poo, lowtax sucks but valuing privacy is 100% reasonable under the circumstances

This is a good point, too; it's important to remember that Lowtax is a piece of poo poo who also has children that should not suffer as a result of his immaturity and poor judgment. Well, any more than they already are, given he basically told his own daughter to go gently caress herself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

This is actually addressed and Dunban goes "don't think of giving that poo poo back to me, I'm happy with a normal sword"

I hope this lack of attention to detail is not indicative of your coming reign. Very concerning stuff
Look I'm not saying he should have given it to him, or that dunban would have accepted or wanted it. But Shulk should have offered - It's the polite thing to do.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
SA's value lies in it's community, more than the software it uses. If the deal goes through, have you considered putting the source on GitHub and accepting PRs to fix some of Radium's quirky decisions?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Rahul posted:

N'thing questions on what is going to happen to mods/admins that were complicit in covering up Lowtaxs abuses

Also, I think we deserve to know who really was besides Burt and, I guess, Reene?

I would wager that Grand Fromage did not know.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If the buyout fee that Lowtax requests ends up being very high, will you be holding a fundraiser of some sort to recoup the costs? I'm more than willing to chip in a few bux for the cause if needed. :retrogames:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look I'm not saying he should have given it to him, or that dunban would have accepted or wanted it. But Shulk should have offered - It's the polite thing to do.

He offers later, you aren't there yet and probably wont ever be due to needing to run the forums

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

will you bring back the upgrade you used to be able to purchase that changed your reg date to 9/11/2001? thanks and I'll take my answer off the air.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes the large popular subforum will stay open. I'm doing this to *avoid* pointlessly destroying good things.

quote:

C-SPAM

quote:

good things

:thunk:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Rahul posted:

I'm also pretty interested in this

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ratjaculatuon posted the worst idea eve so Can you swear before god and a leased gtr that you will never drop the $10 paywall?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a way to make sure that after he leaves the site still costs Lowtax money? Its late at night and I don't really know how businesses work, but if you could do that it would be pretty cool.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jeffry, I’ve been a member here for a very long time (had an account since 2000 before this one) and I am glad you are doing this. One question/request. I do not know much/anything about you and I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it would be great to get to know who you are. If you do end up becoming the owner of this place, how do you feel about a post sharing a little about your background and what you look like and what you do in real life?

seconded, also what's your sign?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Can we make the frontpage non-junk?

Can we have the Digg button back?

Can we also buy Digg?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

biznatchio posted:

Not probably, definitely. Once he's the owner of the LLC, it'll be public record; and then the internet investigation machine will know every aspect of his life.

I'm sure it could be structured so it's held by a trust or something to hide the identity of the owner

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
Is there gonna be a 12th season of The X-FileS?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

How did Lowtax impede the functioning of the site though his absence/presence fypov and do you feel these events may end up improving forum experiences? I’ve always wondered how much he mattered.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Athanatos posted:

Can we make the frontpage non-junk?

Can we have the Digg button back?

naw we need listcles and other Buzzfeed-wannabe content!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

When you become CEO of Forums are we gonna have to start calling you Geoffrey?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Hey I know I came on a little strong earlier but can I be mod of PI?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ratjaculatuon posted the worst idea eve so Can you swear before god and a leased gtr that you will never drop the $10 paywall?

fauisuseless
Jun 24, 2020

RESPECT WOMEN!
So will you act when there is mod abuse (like refusing to enforce toxxes etc)?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I kind of love that I luckily picked an undoxxable username back in 2005 and have just been a poster here and nothing else since. I do imagine my name will get out eventually but I'm not exactly excited about the prospect and will relish just being "Jeffrey of YOSPOS, guy who likes the forums" a little longer. I will tell you that my friends call me Jeff. :)

I did not mean that post in any way that would suggest harm or malice or doxxing. It also was not ironic. It is just that Lowtax being a real person and real personality had, for many years, been a unique and somewhat often positive aspect of this community. He wasn’t just a leader in forums handle but rather an actual person front and center. That did engender quite a bit of community cohesion in the way it allowed people to relate to an actual human on the other end of the line. While over the past 20 years his actions slowly circled around to do more harm than good to his persona, and certainly now he’s completely ruined it, it did carry a lot of positive charm for many years.

I know there are spinoffs of this place that doxx people and do very evil things and I can understand the reluctance to actually put yourself out there because of that. That’s awful. It sucks that the internet has become a place of malice over the years and makes it generally unsafe to put one’s real self out there anymore. But if you ever do feel comfortable enough becoming more than just a forums handle, I think it stands for a lot and would mean a lot to this particular community. We do look to our leaders, in much more than name alone. And we would embrace it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Would you ever take on a second volunteer coder for the forums? Large, messy, bespoke codebases are a pain to learn how to work with but if it becomes difficult to be both the coder and the Janitor-in-Chief it might help ease some of your workload.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can’t do much with computers but if you need a street team I’m down for some guerrilla marketing.

Maybe start with product placement at riots and on racist statues

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man I just wanna say thanks if you manage to pull this poo poo off because I was really fuckin stressin out about this poo poo and worried we were gonna lose an important internet institution and all that

gonna change your account to Jeffrey of SA?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

can you free nvj?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

You don't have any good forum ideas

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Will you buy me some whiskey

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I did not mean that post in any way that would suggest harm or malice or doxxing. It also was not ironic. It is just that Lowtax being a real person and real personality had, for many years, been a unique and somewhat often positive aspect of this community. He wasn’t just a leader in forums handle but rather an actual person front and center. That did engender quite a bit of community cohesion in the way it allowed people to relate to an actual human on the other end of the line. While over the past 20 years his actions slowly circled around to do more harm than good to his persona, and certainly now he’s completely ruined it, it did carry a lot of positive charm for many years.

I know there are spinoffs of this place that doxx people and do very evil things and I can understand the reluctance to actually put yourself out there because of that. That’s awful. It sucks that the internet has become a place of malice over the years and makes it generally unsafe to put one’s real self out there anymore. But if you ever do feel comfortable enough becoming more than just a forums handle, I think it stands for a lot and would mean a lot to this particular community. We do look to our leaders, in much more than name alone. And we would embrace it.
Oh I believe you are sincere and hate that there's any hesitation is here, but, well, the risk is real. I hope that I can be a posting leader by posting. The medium is the message. It will probably come out anyway and we can all laugh at the epic roasts of my gamefaqs posts once they reach kiwifarms.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Oh I believe you are sincere and hate that there's any hesitation is here, but, well, the risk is real. I hope that I can be a posting leader by posting. The medium is the message. It will probably come out anyway and we can all laugh at the epic roasts of my gamefaqs posts once they reach kiwifarms.

Bedman...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hi Jeffrey, I wrote the following in the massive gbs thread but it got buried in the goons. Jpg flood. It's what I think you might want to consider about lowtax when entering the deal to purchase the site.

quote:

Whatever Jeffrey of yospos managed to get with lowtax recently as announced should just be seen as an oral agreement that is confirmed only by Jeffrey, since lowtax hasn't said a single thing (other than responding to goon taunts on FB messenger and that alt right Podcaster) at all.

There is still a chance lowtax would refuse to relinquish his holding of the forums, ban Jeff and not sign a single document whatsoever.

This really depends on his priorities at this point.

We know he doesn't really care about the community, unless it's stroking his ego or to maintain whatever good standing he has (which is why he banned fyad and contacted vice to write an article about it, and when that didn't make him much friends, he turned around and claim he only deleted fyad because he was scared of the cspam goons).

If he is doing it to maintain his reputation, well, lol, he is going low enough to talk to some no name right wing dipshit who gleefully exploits the fact that lowtax is also an adulterer.

If his priorities are money, goons are now becoming a quickly diminishing well. Facebook goons hate him, since he's banned from almost every group there, and of course the Logan revelations started there. His YouTube is a black hole of entertainment nobody enjoys. Twitter has banned him and I don't think he could even begin to understand Instagram, much less tiktok. He can't really thrive in kiwi farms either, since he tried to some years ago but they now hate the gently caress out of him (in between hating minorities).

It explains why he's going for @ la based comedian, because it looks like he need to do the Louis ck comeback of punching down comedy routine (and we know he's very good at that).

It depends on how much Jeff is paying him. He has tons of debt owing to the irs and the state of Missouri, he has a car on lease, a rented McMansion, court cases with possibly every woman he had been in a relationship with (probably only lady integral isn't involved), and 3 kids to provide financial support to.

So the question is how desperate he is for cash, and how much.

The priority right now should be securing a black and white, signed and executed agreement with lowtax, and that all other things like future forums features and current forums issues be a lesser concern. I think it's mentioned you are already getting a lawyer, which is good, and I hope that agreement comes up asap.

Personally, I don't trust lowtax and whatever he says - especially since for this potential deal, it came from you and he has been silent about it as far as everyone knows. I think you know that since you interact with him way more.

Hoping there would be a positive outcome from this. I know we are all excited about the potential future the forums hold, but when that future hasn't been secured, it's best not to speculate that far yet.

Also if the Nissan GTR 2020 comes with the company you should make it a condition precedent for him to return the drat thing or buy it for himself lol.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
is there any way i can download the flash tub flash files? i know shmorky is terrible but i want to laugh at animations one last time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drop the price to $5 for a limited "reopening special"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

is there any way i can download the flash tub flash files? i know shmorky is terrible but i want to laugh at animations one last time

They're mostly on YouTube I think. The weekend web voices, I have to go back once in a while.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Is there going to be any kind of evaluation of the content on the frontpage? For example, I find it pretty gross that the site still celebrates (in a wink wink, nudge nudge, isn't this gross but aren't we cool for doing it way) that SA was responsible for SWAP.avi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I think a poster in the Yikeseroo thread has them and I think it might be dans. If not ask around idk

You could always dl em yourself with a tool and submit them to Flashpoint