Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All the handheld games are good, even HoD and CotM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've only really played SotN other than the classic CV games, but since that's nowhere other than mobile with surprisingly alright controls, are the DS games that good?

I never played the DS games, Aria of Sorrow was a GBA game. If you liked SOTN I'd recommend giving it a shot! It's included in the Castlevania: Advance Collection

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1552550/Castlevania_Advance_Collection/

It's especially nice because they added some QOL features that makes the game a little less frustrating, which along with Save States and rewind functionality makes the game a lot more fun in my opinion.

If you have a PlayStation (And I assume Xbox/Switch) and want to play Symphony of the Night, it's included in the Requiem collection, which is just a barebones port of the game. On sale for $4 right now!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0101-CUSA13434_00-CASTLEVANIA00001/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That collection is a playstation exclusive.

On Xbox you can get symphony of the night as its back compatible from the 360 version which uses original voice acting.

On switch get bent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've only really played SotN other than the classic CV games, but since that's nowhere other than mobile with surprisingly alright controls, are the DS games that good?

yeah they rule. play them on an emulator with the touch poo poo removed tho imho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

All the handheld games are good, even HoD and CotM

Circle is great, but this statement is incorrect. Castlevania The Adventure and Castlevania Legends are terrible.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Adventure is aggressively awful but it plays a bit better on emulators because they run it fast. I never got the Legends hate, it’s just sort of eh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chiasaur11 posted:

Circle is great, but this statement is incorrect. Castlevania The Adventure and Castlevania Legends are terrible.

Yeah I nearly amended that statement because I couldn't imagine the GB games were worth bothering with but also I was lazy and figured that's not the types they were talking about mainly either

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I nearly amended that statement because I couldn't imagine the GB games were worth bothering with but also I was lazy and figured that's not the types they were talking about mainly either

Belmont's Revenge and Kid Dracula are actually alright. Worth a look, at least.

holefoods posted:

Adventure is aggressively awful but it plays a bit better on emulators because they run it fast. I never got the Legends hate, it’s just sort of eh

Legends isn't as obviously terrible as Adventure, because Adventure wants to hurt you and will do everything it can to facilitate that, but it's even worse once you start poking at it, because the game is at war with itself... and it's losing.

For a few examples, the basic enemies in Adventure attack a bit below eye level, because that's where your whip hits. It means you learn a little about how to play right just by playing. Meanwhile, Legends has the first enemy fly up and down, so you have to jump to hit them with a janky arc that maybe works some of the time. (And there's no subweapons in level 1, despite you collecting a ton of hearts, so you don't have any alternatives) Adventure has a timer because it's about straightforward platforming and action, with one level even escalating to a giant doom wall to keep you moving at a fast pace. (Which ensures you'll make more mistakes, because it's a terrible game that hates you, with jank controls, but again. At least it knows that.) Legends, meanwhile, has tons of pointless dead ends and traps that do nothing but eat up time because you made an unlucky guess, discouraging exploration... while also locking an ending behind five useless items hidden around the map.

And there's so much more, from burning mode to the lack of boss health bars to the complete lack of setpieces to the unbalanced spells that don't play well with the core whip (something Castlevania one had figured out), and endless small details that just don't work right. It's a bad game, and there's nothing good to contrast the basic shoddyness.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

chiasaur11 posted:

Belmont's Revenge and Kid Dracula are actually alright. Worth a look, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Belmont's Revenge whips rear end. Maybe it just seems that way because I played Adventure first. But seriously there's a crystal castle level, a spike level where you ride chain balls up and down over pits, and the music is very CV. There's some cool transparency effects and barely any stupid jumping instadeath platforn puzzles.