Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I literally became a dad 2 nights ago I am now going to vow that my daughter will never consciously be subjected to the terror of the nude dad
congrats dad :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins posted:

congrats dad :toot:

thanks, I have no idea what I'm doing and actually can't do the most important bit (feeding) but I can do chores and post about it on the Internet which my dad couldnt, idk how anyone did anything without the baby equivalent of stack overflow at hand for questions like "baby is showing signs of buffer overflow is this normal?"

actually wait I do you'd have a grandparent come help which is currently banned due to covid

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

thanks, I have no idea what I'm doing and actually can't do the most important bit (feeding) but I can do chores and post about it on the Internet which my dad couldnt, idk how anyone did anything without the baby equivalent of stack overflow at hand for questions like "baby is showing signs of buffer overflow is this normal?"

actually wait I do you'd have a grandparent come help which is currently banned due to covid
we had my MIL stay and help for the first few weeks. other than that we both work(ed) full time and got/get no other help. my in-laws live 1500km away and are too self-absorbed to travel and visit. my mom is local but just plain too self-absorbed since my dad passed

it’s generally not fun, or easy, but it’s definitely doable. all this to say: you may not feel it yet but you got this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we're in the same boat as Kenny. grandparents on ms jones's side can't help, and the grandparents on my side live on the other side of the country. raising a kid with basically no help ain't the easiest thing in the world, but it's doable.

pisses me right off when ms jones's sister complains about how her husband's family "never helps" despite them watching my niece/her daughter multiple times a month and taking her on weeks-long vacations every summer, though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

pisses me right off when ms jones's sister complains about how her husband's family "never helps" despite them watching my niece/her daughter multiple times a month and taking her on weeks-long vacations every summer, though.
tell me about it. my sister lives a province over (with her inlaws nearby) and my mom will go and help her on a day’s notice because it’s a little trip! what fun! nothing exciting about driving across town to pitch in. my sister never stops complaining all the same. they all went on a cruise in january, too

if we didn’t take my kid to my mom’s for lunch on sunday and do all the cooking there i don’t know if she’d see her at all outside of holidays/birthdays

doesn’t really matter. my mom’s loss. i think my kid is great and cute and smart and we’re doing a good job with her regardless

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 14, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah. grandparents reap what they sow. it’s a two way street of course.

my kids see my parents most days of the week, usually for a few hours at a time. they’re going to have such a lovely view of my mother and hopefully a lot of her kindness washes off on them.

but my dad who i’ve moaned about enough in this thread just does nothing to foster a relationship or to even get to know the kids. to show them anything interesting at all. his loss. plus my kids aren’t ignorant to it. they’ll remember quite clearly how he was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just remembered that when i was a kid, we did 'oratoricals,' in which we dressed up like historical figures and gave a little speech about why we were a cool historical figure. this would've been 4th or 5th grade

my mom made me a badass union army outfit, slapped a beard on me, and i got to talk about destroying the south to preserve the union and end slavery as william tecumseh sherman. i didn't realize what a statement that was given where i grew up (the confluence of the south and midwest), but dang my mom's a cool lady.

she also just packaged up and sent me the fancy multimeter she used before she retired. very lightly used, actually, bc she just kept using her old one after she got it.

this is also the momthread is what i'm saying

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a few weeks ago, i suggested that my dad and I play a wargame. he appears to be getting comfortable with the idea; he just set up a game and showed it to me, but did not mention actually playing it with me. it looks pretty cool. its set in january 1945 - one player controls the red army, and the other controls the western allies as they race to conquer germany. what's cool is that the soviet player also controls the western german armies, while the allied player controls the okw forces on the eastern front, giving each player the opportunity to slow the other down.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

welp, grandparents are inbound because my wife hasn't slept in like 72 hours and messaged them to ask for help and I'll swallow what little misguided pride I had about trying to do everything myself despite not have the equipment to solve the "needs feeding while you want to sleep" problem.

I think I'll just be glad of the company as much as the help tbh because this corona poo poo means that actual face to face contact is so rare.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dad chat back on topic:

My dad used to make his own rockets as a child using calcium carbide (which I guess you could just buy from the local chemist back then) and I think tried to encourage me to do the same sort of thing but didn't realise that chemistry sets in the 90s actually had vague safety standards so you basically couldn't do gently caress all with them. I think he was a bit disappointed tbh.

All I managed to do was dye the carpet blue.

Edit: he also sent me a very nice Cuban cigar as a "congrats on being a dad" gift but it has massive "this will kill you and harm your child" warnings on it which is a bit of a downer on the idea

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 15, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

welp, grandparents are inbound because my wife hasn't slept in like 72 hours and messaged them to ask for help and I'll swallow what little misguided pride I had about trying to do everything myself despite not have the equipment to solve the "needs feeding while you want to sleep" problem.

I think I'll just be glad of the company as much as the help tbh because this corona poo poo means that actual face to face contact is so rare.
glad you were able to get some help. you still got this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kenny Logins posted:

you still got this

not like you got much of a choice unless you want to make the papers

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've never seen my dad's dick. strange but true.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

not a bad problem to have

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SpaceAceJase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_EWr2GJ5A

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

glad you were able to get some help. you still got this

thanks, the vote of confidence is appreciated. it's hilarious how poorly prepared you actually are for this when it happens

SpaceAceJase posted:

idk I haven't seen your dad's dick either so this doesn't seem that strange to me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

thanks, the vote of confidence is appreciated. it's hilarious how poorly prepared you actually are for this when it happens
i remember being pretty hungover the morning my wife’s water broke. i can understand the hilarity

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

a few weeks ago, i suggested that my dad and I play a wargame. he appears to be getting comfortable with the idea; he just set up a game and showed it to me, but did not mention actually playing it with me. it looks pretty cool. its set in january 1945 - one player controls the red army, and the other controls the western allies as they race to conquer germany. what's cool is that the soviet player also controls the western german armies, while the allied player controls the okw forces on the eastern front, giving each player the opportunity to slow the other down.

that sounds interesting, what's the game called?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

I took son swimming yesterday and in changing room later I saw another kids dads uncircumcised dick. crazy pube action

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

idk I haven't seen your dad's dick either so this doesn't seem that strange to me

countless billions have done it before you with much worse resources. your natural intuition to keep your child safe will go very far. honestly babies are hard work, but they’re easy. I’m not trying to underplay how hard it is on you especially sleep wise, but as long as the baby is fed, you’re doing a good job. you got this.

simple advice: talk to your child when you’re changing them (or doing anything “to” them) as in “im taking off your nappy now” or whatever. like you might expect a nurse to do with a patient. it sets a level of respect and i’ll bode well forever.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wait they still cut in nz?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sounds like https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3986/battle-germany

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wait they still cut in nz?

nah but I personally am (idk why none of my friends were) so if you ask me it’s weird looking: like a sausage that you haven’t peeled

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

can't remember now - I'll update when I see him next week

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who was the poster who asked echi what an uncircumcised penis looks like???

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

cut 3.2” shamer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

simple advice: talk to your child when you’re changing them (or doing anything “to” them) as in “im taking off your nappy now” or whatever. like you might expect a nurse to do with a patient. it sets a level of respect and i’ll bode well forever.

I talk some utter rubbish so we'll see what level of respect this engenders in uhhh 3- 4 years I guess

Kenny Logins posted:

i remember being pretty hungover the morning my wife’s water broke. i can understand the hilarity

this was like, my worst fear but it was a planned c section so i thought I was safe.... but she turned up 2 days early anyway so I still got a 4am wakeup panic. Fortunately I am not at the getting smashed on a tuesday night stage anymore/yet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thank you. I loving want credit when it’s due!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m uncut and was born in nz

hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it wasn’t until like in my 20s at least before I actually discovered that a foreskin wasn’t like a skin sleeve but kinda expanded outward like an accordion

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mate

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m uncut and was born in nz

hth

Not sure about this Springsteen cover tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loll

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

what's up nude dad buddy. Mine would always sleep naked and then wear a very short dressing gown. He would also immediately strip fully nude in changing rooms much to my horror.

in the summer he would mow the lawn in the shortest running shorts you've ever seen.

I literally became a dad 2 nights ago I am now going to vow that my daughter will never consciously be subjected to the terror of the nude dad

congrats on the baby, rip to your sleep

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

being a dad is great. but hard. but great. enjoy it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

it wasn’t until like in my 20s at least before I actually discovered that a foreskin wasn’t like a skin sleeve but kinda expanded outward like an accordion

met all expectations sublime

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

having a bit of trouble following it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just tried playing classical gas on my forey, no accordion action detected. plz advise