Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also somebody at work from HR emailed me and it turns out i can work from home forever. this means i can move someplace where i can have a real radio and a desk and stuff. i'm pretty fuckin stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
livin the absolute dream, nice

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
got an RTL-SDR and dual-band antenna on the way, should arrive Friday at the latest :toot:

looking forward to listening to the sounds of the LUMINIFEROUS AETHER

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

do some weather stuff! it’s easy and it’s really cool to get signals from space. i recommend it if you’re bored of everything else and have never done it before

i’m a bit obsessed and just trying to get folk to do it now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you know of any osx software that'll do the needful? a rec for a noaa sat tracker would also be dope

you also need a RHCP antenna (not related to the band that is bad and i will die on this hill) right?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

also somebody at work from HR emailed me and it turns out i can work from home forever. this means i can move someplace where i can have a real radio and a desk and stuff. i'm pretty fuckin stoked

make sure it's on a hill or at least not at the bottom of a valley

i did this wrong last time

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

you know of any osx software that'll do the needful? a rec for a noaa sat tracker would also be dope

you also need a RHCP antenna (not related to the band that is bad and i will die on this hill) right?

a QFH for circular will be best, but a v dipole is easier and gives decent results. just need to occasionally aim or tilt for polarisation

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

make sure it's on a hill or at least not at the bottom of a valley

i did this wrong last time

Lmao

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Achmed Jones posted:

somebody at work emailed Kenwood, and the CS person told them that there should be a D72A replacement announcement in Q2 2022. get hyped

big if true

I've got fond memories of using my TH-D72a to hit the APRS repeater on the ISS in order to send 'I will never log off' via SMS

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Jimmy Carter posted:

big if true

I've got fond memories of using my TH-D72a to hit the APRS repeater on the ISS in order to send 'I will never log off' via SMS

lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang i just got another spot bonus, the world really wants me to get a hf radio

dear world, now isnt a good time for me to make this decision but please keep giving me bonuses while i figure it out, thanks

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

This doesn’t help your situation but its currently the start of a new solar cycle and very occasionally we get the boost from mr sun.

your good for like 11-12 years if you start a HF station right now.

also re: station location. Im spoiled now because I live at the very top of a large hill and I have a baby vhf/uhf antenna on the roof and it works amazingly well. I can do 2 meter simplex with people on 5watt handie talkies 20-30 miles away. further if people are on 50 watt mobile radios

Its going to be a sad day when I relocate and dont have much choice in geography.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I managed today with little incident to get dump1090 working on my m1 macbook. Can't wait to go to the airport and get weird glances

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i leaned out of a window for this and it was hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh poo poo thats right sstv weekend

imma throw up my 2m loop and let the rig capture for the weekend

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

caught a partial just now; need to try again tonight

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
my RTL-SDR V.3 and antenna showed up today so now I've got the VHF antenna next to the window and I'm skipping through various bands trying to find interesting stuff. found my first weird thing, a station at 169.440 MHz that was sending out regular, short pulses like so:

then it stopped for a bit before sending out a few long pulses at various intervals. it doesn't sound like anything on AM and sounds kind of like a mechanical ratchety sound on DSB -- zoomed in they look like this:

my guess is that this is a digital signal and that I need to find a plugin for SDR# that'll do DMR

e: currently listening to a bunch of old dudes on a repeater chatting about fuel injection. the air waves are fascinating

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 7, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

my RTL-SDR V.3 and antenna showed up today so now I've got the VHF antenna next to the window and I'm skipping through various bands trying to find interesting stuff. found my first weird thing, a station at 169.440 MHz that was sending out regular, short pulses like so:

then it stopped for a bit before sending out a few long pulses at various intervals. it doesn't sound like anything on AM and sounds kind of like a mechanical ratchety sound on DSB -- zoomed in they look like this:

my guess is that this is a digital signal and that I need to find a plugin for SDR# that'll do DMR

e: currently listening to a bunch of old dudes on a repeater chatting about fuel injection. the air waves are fascinating

could be a lot of things but this is a very good resource for identifying signals:

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

also it seems your tuning is off by 20 KHz

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 8, 2021

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this is a really useful link, thanks for posting it. you left off the 'e' in Guide, so i fixed it in the quote

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whoops thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it in my post also

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sweet i won my auction for my 70s radio and immediately put in a bid for an rca victor xf-4. gotta have that 50s radio too

you know, for the <1000 square foot apartment that has two adults, a kid, and a dog

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got my 9450. it's bigger than i thought. it is currently playing groove salad. the raspberry pi is running a lil sinatra app to let me change stations, add new stations, etc, HUP the process when it dies. this doesnt really happen on SomaFM stations, but some broadcast fm stations control the "this is CALLSIGN supported by listeners like you!" message by just making it play at the start of every connection and HUPing that every hour. also sometimes when i open tmux or whatever i guess that causes the process to get evicted from meory (lol)

the ruby bindings for my SSD1306 don't actually seem functional at all. i tried the golang bindings and they didnt work well either. might end up doing a separate python process if i can get hte display to work how i want it to. i might also just not do that and leave it alone

the tone control on it is kinda scratchy and everything is a little muffled until i get it into just the right spot, and then it doesnt generally hold. it's fine-ish for background music but i wanna fix it. i got a service manual and i dont think i want to mess with disassembling it and replacing the tone pot, but im hoping that a squirt of deoxit will fix me up with minimal effort

it's funny bc my reason for not wanting to gently caress with it is bc im afraid ill strip the screws. once it's open the soldering on something of this size should be a piece of cake, but actually getting it open without messing it up makes me a little nervous. i have stripped a lot of screws in my life. this is also why i didn't open up my game gear and recap it myself - i couldn't get the screw to turn on the first couple of tries and didnt want to push my luck. i fuckin hate phillips head screws is what im saying

the xf-4 that i got (and is on its way) is a tube radio, RIP probably

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
don't worry about the screws on the back. they're just coarse thread wood screws, very easy to work with. i modified my 9450 with an external AM antenna input, i can clip a long wire on to a terminal in the back and pull in even more stuff.

deoxit should fix that tone pot.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool, thanks man!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo

against my expectations i got both my deoxit and my tube radio in the mail today.

i popped the back off of the sony 9450, gave the tone pot a squirt, and now it's a fuckin dream. sounds great, looks great, is great

the RCA Victor XF-4 works almost flawlessly. It doesn't sound as good as the 9450, but it is a tube radio without frequency correction that was made almost 20 years prior. the dial reads 2-2.5 mhz below what it's actually tuning, which is a pretty easy fix but I'll probably not mess with it, at least for the time being.

i'm so stoked to be listening to modern radio on these things. so rad

i'd pretty much written off the xf-4 as a cool shell/restoration project. to have it arrive _just working_ is insane to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuuuuuuck yes very nice

my content: i took a radio break this week but ordered a $20 mag mount antenna to slap on my roof flashing for a dedicated APRS antenna, which let me hook my big vertical back up to the 9700 and i can play on repeaters again. woo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVAnMTu0Oo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

fuuuuuuck yes very nice

my content: i took a radio break this week but ordered a $20 mag mount antenna to slap on my roof flashing for a dedicated APRS antenna, which let me hook my big vertical back up to the 9700 and i can play on repeaters again. woo

oh nice! did your landlord decide to be cool, or did you decide to not care (or something else)?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i decided on a mutually beneficial policy of "stealth mode, and also nothing's permanently attached to the house"

item 1: here's the APRS antenna. it's there. can you find it?

item 2: my homebrew HF vertical is pretty stealth and you can't see it from the street

item 3: my dual bander is pretty stealth and you can't see it from anywhere

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 22, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
drat that's sick. I have a little two foot long antenna that sits in my living room window and I can listen to the local ham guys on VHF and the VE7RPT repeater through it

good conversation last night about maintaining turbodiesels, wish I had my license and could participate

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can you describe what's going on with your dual bander? i see the magloop and then above it i see a wire coming off of the second central pole going towards the left, and then a little bit off to the right (where it looks like it crosses or something)

e: and i just found the radials above the magloop. but i thought radials normally went on or in the ground. does putting them there set up a higher groundplane or something? and if so, why would that be a good thing to do?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 23, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the radials on VHF antennas are generally at the feedpoint. they're just providing a roughly 1/4 wave long radiator for the transmitted RF to 'push against'. for big HF antennas, the radials are often ground mounted, but in that mode their length isn't really that important; in that type of installation, they're actually forming one plate of a giant capacitor. THE EARTH! is the other plate. And that's what they use to push against. This is why ground mounted HF works with the 'more radials = better than' guidance. more wire down means there's more surface area for the top plate of the capacitor. for VHF you can get good counterpoise action with just three or so.

btw, the loop below the dual bander is just a cheap FM broadcast receive antenna. works very well and they're built great for $30.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hello ham thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welcome to the real beep boop land

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im days from moving into my new hoa-less house and im chomping at the bit to throw up some fuckin antennas

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

worked my first dmr contacts last night; a fellow goon and some dude in northern ireland whose callsign i never copied - i get the appeal of this mode now!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im so bad about recording callsigns.

i move tomorrow and im gonna finally setup the shack desk of my dreams and top on the list is a notepad and pen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao i got my game gear today and the tv tuner a few days ago

check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGAdiV6_qc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how did you make that clip without a battery swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol the cord coming out of the top right is the AC adapter

e: this thing requires perfect polarization, by the way. I could kinda barely hear the tune, but when I make sure that the pi antenna was actually vertical it comes in pretty well. not at all like the radios, which pick up the signal just fine when i throw the pi and its antenna under a shelf. I was literally holding the antenna, which was supporting the pi's weight, with my toes to keep it vertical while I took that