Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think about the situation?
The Dems lied
People weren't paying attention
2k is bullshit unless its reoccuring
I am a monster who believes in total austerity and oppose the survival checks
View Results

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

The UK covered a whole bunch of salaries while people couldn't work for months.

https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus/furlough-scheme-pay

£2500 a month or 80% of your salary, whichever is lower.

Still far from enough but miles better than the US is doing.

Isnt that handled in the US by unemployment, though? Its more generous than the US unemployment scheme but its different than this which is giving money to everyone regardless of employment status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can work somewhere else if you can find it, and you still get the furlough money. You just can't work for the company that has furloughed you.

So it's far more generous than UK JSA and also isn't contingent on you not working or looking for work. Certainly it should be just a UBI, but given the main alleged point of the stimulus checks is to help people who are facing massive unemployment I would suggest it constitutes "handing out cash"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The relief bill, as has been mentioned many times, also includes about $1700 a month ($400/wk) in payments to people who are on unemployment assistance (and yes, this is a somewhat different category from "people who don't have a job because of the pandemic"), to be given on top of state unemployment benefits (which in some states, particularly Florida, is pretty much "lol nothing gently caress off", but is ok in some states).

Some people could end up doing about as well or maybe slightly better than 2500 pounds/month, but as is often the case with assistance in the US, it doesn't get to everybody who actually needs it, and can be hosed with by vindictive state governments.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

You can work somewhere else if you can find it, and you still get the furlough money. You just can't work for the company that has furloughed you.

So it's far more generous than UK JSA and also isn't contingent on you not working or looking for work. Certainly it should be just a UBI, but given the main alleged point of the stimulus checks is to help people who are facing massive unemployment I would suggest it constitutes "handing out cash"

Right, but I mean, its handing out cash to people who have been furloughed. I'm not saying it isn't a good program. It obviously is. But its different from what I'm asking, which is what governments are doing UBI or general cash transfers to the population as a response to COVID?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

The relief bill, as has been mentioned many times, also includes about $1700 a month ($400/wk) in payments to people who are on unemployment assistance (and yes, this is a somewhat different category from "people who don't have a job because of the pandemic"), to be given on top of state unemployment benefits (which in some states, particularly Florida, is pretty much "lol nothing gently caress off", but is ok in some states).

Some people could end up doing about as well or maybe slightly better than 2500 pounds/month, but as is often the case with assistance in the US, it doesn't get to everybody who actually needs it, and can be hosed with by vindictive state governments.

Any benefit to Floridians is completely destroyed by our inability to even access the DOE website to beg for the scraps. In the year since the pandemic started and the DOE site garnered national headlines, nothing has changed. Not a god damned thing.

Well, no, that's inaccurate - they tried and failed to roll out a second, mobile-optimized site that as best as I can tell doesn't even exist anymore, and they added a lovely little Javascript waiting room to the desktop site so you have a little man walking across a progress bar to stare at for 3 hours while your phone rings off the hook with calls from bill collectors from memorial hospital because the surgeon didn't call and ask permission to do surgery when I came in after a seizure and a massively broken shoulder resulting from the seizure thrashing and is it really going to break the entire economy if I get $2600 *wink wink* instead of $2000 *wink wink*?

I'm sure the unemployment assistance will help some, but the rest of us still need our direct loving payout of two thousand loving dollars

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't received any stimulus money and am now expected to file for the tax credit in 2021 in order to have a shot at what everyone else received. Though the onus of the $1800 still in escrow was originally laid upon the Trump administration, it is now up to the Biden administration and his IRS to ensure that I get what I have yet to see.

That being said, it was thoroughly stated to be $2000 in and throughout the Georgia elections, and it is particularly rude to pull one over on Atlanta and tell everyone that the reduced amount was what they were voting for. Or any reduced amount as the terms of the relief change.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Just a question, because I'm curious. What countries have given out cash handouts to the population as part of their covid response, and how much have they given out?

Canada.
Had the cerb 2000 a month. It was for people who's income was interrupted, but it was on basically the honour system. You just filled in a web form and got approved instantly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mellow Seas posted:

And none of that would be as effective or simple as just direct payouts

"Hey they're doing more! It's still not enough but it's more!" isn't a cognizant argument nor a point in their favor.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ianmacdo posted:

Canada.
Had the cerb 2000 a month. It was for people who's income was interrupted, but it was on basically the honour system. You just filled in a web form and got approved instantly.

a lot of people filled it out that didnt technically qualify but probably really needed it and now the govt is trying to claw a bunch of it back and is getting poo poo on for it which was always the loving obvious outcome for that system. mindboggling that people think Liberals or Democrats are anything but insanely bad at politics

is there any cogent argument that $2000 or $3000 instead of $1400 would cost the democrats votes in 2 or 4 years? at all?

edit: for americans who dont know, cerb required that you had filed a tax return for at least $5,000 of taxable income in 2019 or would do so in 2020 or they would gently caress you for not earning enough and thus not having anything to lose

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 3, 2021

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

ianmacdo posted:

Canada.

Can confirm. Miss X amount of work, check the boxes on the form, 2k deposited the next day. Initially, the eligibility requirements were screwed up so if you had a certain hourly rate and missed a specific number of days you could receive a larger benefit than the pay you actually lost (this happened to me and many others, I hope they don't screw us out of the extra two hundy).

It was initially $2000 every two weeks (4k/mo). Now it's a weird system where you can get $500 a week for up to 2 weeks, or up to 26 weeks if you will grossed less than $38k in 2020...? It's complicated now and the best strategy is to go to work sick.

Anyway, if you got in on the ground floor you could have collected like 15 grand by now. :canada:

e. I don't remember if you could initially apply twice in a month for 4k.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 3, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, I did some of my own research, and so far, I've come up with one country that maybe fits. Spain is doing a UBI for the duration of Covid with really severe means testing. The second that comes. Lose is Kenya, which, in 2018, started a pilot program of UBI in two provinces. It wasn't because of COVID, but they're doing better than the rest of the country.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And none of that would be as effective or simple as just direct payouts

"Hey they're doing more! It's still not enough but it's more!" isn't a cognizant argument nor a point in their favor.

Wait, like, what kind of direct payouts are you talking about here? I have a feeling it’s something other than the topic of this thread, but I that wanna make sure, because it seems like you’re arguing against expanding UI benefits, and that’s probably not what you intended.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1356731365862100999

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

But if it's minor and no one really cares, why do I need to "be careful" with this thinking, if I'm wrong and no one really cares then there's no downside to my being concerned, but if I'm right it's a huge problem and the people dismissing the complaints are making a critical mistake...so maybe it is you who should be careful with your line of thinking?

The Dems should be observant and mindful of what the normie voters are thinking so that they know how to react. They shouldn't just presume they are either pleased or furious and operate with that presumption alone.

- Get the 14+6
- Start demanding more
- Pressure Manchin in WV and Sinema in AZ to reform/kill the filibuster if the GOP doesn't agree to more checks
- Say "Look at all the $ we're giving you isn't it great please vote for us in '22!"

Seems like the obvious play for Dems whether their voters are mad or not, but knowing whether or not they are actually mad would influence they way they institute all these steps.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Not looking to argue the merits here, just for informational purposes, it looks like there are some distinctions with what’s in that article and the 1200 sent out early last year:

quote:

Tax filers with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns will receive the full payment. For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$150,000 thresholds. Single filers with income exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible. Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are otherwise not required to file a tax return are also eligible and will not be required to file a return.

Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child.

The most noticeable difference is in the payout per child, the one from last year being smaller from the current alleged discussion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Verviticus posted:

a lot of people filled it out that didnt technically qualify but probably really needed it and now the govt is trying to claw a bunch of it back and is getting poo poo on for it which was always the loving obvious outcome for that system. mindboggling that people think Liberals or Democrats are anything but insanely bad at politics

It's just loving incredible, they'll rain cash on oil companies and defense contractors, let pallets of money fall of C-130s in Iraq, all without a second thought, but if one lower middle class family gets a dollar that liberal democrats don't think they're poor enough to deserve they come down on them and start squeezing blood from that stone

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Here comes that austerity Democrats are known for!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Glad to know people who live in high-cost states where salaries are naturally higher to cover the cost of living (If I lived in Ohio I'd get pay 20k less easy, but everything would cost 50% less include houses), are going to get screwed over by Dems and Republicans playing "compromise".

Dems must really think since they won in '20, '22 is assured or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
600 + 1400x0 + bailout of Wall Street/number of people getting no check = 2000

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1356984103959203843

A lot of people making $[whatever the final cutoff ends up being] are going to be quite surprised when they don't get a check.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In the end there will be a televised event where Biden presents a giant $1400 check to a single man from Wisconsin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

well that's better than nothing, that's more than the Republicans would have done, you ought to be grateful, technically he never said exactly how many checks and the guy got one novelty check plus one real check so that justifies the plural, etc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

is there any cogent argument that $2000 or $3000 instead of $1400 would cost the democrats votes in 2 or 4 years? at all?

Seems very unlikely. As of two weeks ago, 74% of Americans including 88% of Democrats, 57% of Republicans, and majorities of every demographic crosstab provided in the poll, supported "$2000 COVID-19 relief checks for Americans."

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1356984103959203843

A lot of people making $[whatever the final cutoff ends up being] are going to be quite surprised when they don't get a check.

Delivering $1400 checks in order to not break my promise of delivering $2000 checks.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Setting aside my other arguments, if we're adjusting the income guidelines (or even discussing adjusting the income guidelines) that's a pretty transparent admission, to me, that these are new, separate checks from the previous $600.

The $600 could only have been a "deposit" on the $2000 if the $1400 made whole every $600 check disbursed previously. The fact that this is even up for discussion at this point reveals the "$2000 check" lie pretty clearly, no? Like clearly even given every ounce of good faith interpretation possible, we're way beyond amending the December bill and well into what was described in the first half of January which is another round of checks, which were promised to be $2000, and then reduced to $1400 before any negotiation occurred.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if they don't go through with it even considering it is incredibly stupid (and ungodly stupid to admit you're mulling it).

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Shere posted:

Setting aside my other arguments, if we're adjusting the income guidelines (or even discussing adjusting the income guidelines) that's a pretty transparent admission, to me, that these are new, separate checks from the previous $600.

The $600 could only have been a "deposit" on the $2000 if the $1400 made whole every $600 check disbursed previously. The fact that this is even up for discussion at this point reveals the "$2000 check" lie pretty clearly, no? Like clearly even given every ounce of good faith interpretation possible, we're way beyond amending the December bill and well into what was described in the first half of January which is another round of checks, which were promised to be $2000, and then reduced to $1400 before any negotiation occurred.

The 600 (and the 1200 before it) were reduced starting at 75K. So, a lot of folks didn’t receive the full amount in those two instances, if anything at all.

Not saying it shouldn’t just be the full 2K this time, just pointing out it’s not like everyone got 600.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

generic one posted:

The 600 (and the 1200 before it) were reduced starting at 75K. So, a lot of folks didn’t receive the full amount in those two instances, if anything at all.

Not saying it shouldn’t just be the full 2K this time, just pointing out it’s not like everyone got 600.

I'm well aware of this, and my point is if we're admitting that this $1400 check is going to be on a separate scale from the $600 it's supposedly making whole, it kind of throws out all of the "they're meant to be combined together $600 + $1400 = $2000" arguments I've endured the last month.

This transparent pedantry is, again, ignoring the absolute asinine concept of means testing a survival check based off of an income that was reported before the event that triggered the need for the checks.

And means testing in general.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 4, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ytlaya posted:

In the end there will be a televised event where Biden presents a giant $1400 check to a single man from Wisconsin.

everyone in the country will get a scrap of a single comically large 1400 dollar check that is not actually redeemable or legal tender

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's also just such a loving own goal. Pushing it to 2k, while not actually enough to help cover what the average American has needed the past year, would at least like....not have you look like liars and/incomepetants and would cost them nothing. It's insane that they would even consider doing what they've done. Theres no reason for it other than to just try and get away with doing as little as possible.

It's an error entirely of their own making.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. It doesn't matter at all whether the initial deal was "$600 now plus $1400 later" or "$600 now plus another $2000 later" if people heard "$2k checks if we win"*. Just give them the loving $2000 now in one check with a giant signature of Biden, their local senator, whoever.

*Even if you believe everyone assumed that meant $1400 bonus, are you really willing to bet losing a single solitary vote on it? If so, why?? Sure people may forget all of this by 2022, be just an enthusiastic/not dead without it, and Republicans may not bring it up, but why loving risk any of that with the Congressional margins so close?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Shere posted:

I'm well aware of this, and my point is if we're admitting that this $1400 check is going to be on a separate scale from the $600 it's supposedly making whole, it kind of throws out all of the "they're meant to be combined together $600 + $1400 = $2000" arguments I've endured the last month.

This transparent pedantry is, again, ignoring the absolute asinine concept of means testing a survival check based off of an income that was reported before the event that triggered the need for the checks.

And means testing in general.

Is it on a separate scale? I don’t think we know that yet. If anything, I’m guessing it would be on the same scale, but all of this is kind of speculation at this point. At this point it’s just as likely it’ll be means tested as it won’t.

That said, I agree, means testing is pretty loving stupid. I got a check in the mail for less than $200 for the first round of $1200 payments, which I promptly donated to RAICES. If it hadn’t been means tested, I probably would have spent a lot of it on ice cream and beer from some local businesses in addition to charity.

Still haven’t seen a dime from the $600 round of payments.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

*Even if you believe everyone assumed that meant $1400 bonus, are you really willing to bet losing a single solitary vote on it? If so, why??

To own the libs

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."
Can you imagine this much handwringing over $1200 during a pandemic from a country that has a GDP of $21 trillion dollars? I don't think you could write darker comedy than that.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Aren't these checks meant to stimulate the economy? I mean, from a purely cynical partisan standpoint, wouldn't the Dems want these checks to be as big and easy to get as possible in order to juice the numbers for Biden/2022? Getting too precious about means testing is going to end up biting them in the rear end.

Edit: Basically this:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1357041855456763905

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 4, 2021

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gadfly posted:

Can you imagine this much handwringing over $1200 during a pandemic from a country that has a GDP of $21 trillion dollars? I don't think you could write darker comedy than that.

Jeff Bezos’s pile of gold could send a check for $550 to every person in the US, and he’d still have almost two billion left.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Exactly the sort of chickenshit games you want to be playing with people who desperately need assistance and you promised "$2000 checks" in exchange for handing you control of the senate.

https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1357372594605993984

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Get your taxes filed as soon as possible!*

* Unless you're waiting on some documents you won't see until March. Then it seems you're out of luck, sorry!

Just send everyone the checks and spend the rest of 2021 figuring out how to reconcile during next year's tax return season. This doesn't seem terribly complicated, but then again I'm not a politician.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Get your taxes filed as soon as possible!**

** Starting February 12th because the IRS isn't accepting returns until them

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if it should be surprising that what we're getting from Biden's presidency is that Biden himself is not as bad as expected, but Schumer and Pelosi are even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/hshaban/status/1357328552358776838

please tell me again how this isn't austerity politics