Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
We are all in the discord these days.

But yeah Go Samoa. I think Aussies by 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hey

If this thread gets too many posts I'm going to feel duty-bound to write a new op for next year and I finding managed to stop that bad habit

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

samoas will win

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't care who wins as long as it's a good close game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Australia got it done against the Kiwis but they looked very disjointed. I think Aus win but it will be closer than it should be.

I also hope australia win because the Samoan church near where I live keeps putting the games on at their hall and when Samoa wins they play gospel / island music super loud and drive around the neighbourhood beeping horns. I won't care as much because its sunday but the couple of 3am wake ups on Mondays were murder.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

BlindSite posted:

Australia got it done against the Kiwis but they looked very disjointed. I think Aus win but it will be closer than it should be.

I also hope australia win because the Samoan church near where I live keeps putting the games on at their hall and when Samoa wins they play gospel / island music super loud and drive around the neighbourhood beeping horns. I won't care as much because its sunday but the couple of 3am wake ups on Mondays were murder.

Yeah, I hope it’s a good fair game and realistically don’t care who wins, but I also hope Australia wins, because there’s a lot of flags around my neighbourhood, and I’d like to be able to sleep at some point in the next month.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Just join in the partying you sooks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ili posted:

Just join in the partying you sooks.

Yeah sure, I'll get up at 3am on a Monday before work and stand in my street while some dipshit lays on his horn driving around a suburban neighbourhood.

How bout just don't be a fuckwit at 3am?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Yeah sure, I'll get up at 3am on a Monday before work and stand in my street while some dipshit lays on his horn driving around a suburban neighbourhood.

How bout just don't be a fuckwit at 3am?

The correct answer is to quit your job and just drive around your neighbourhood at all hours on the horn; it looks like fun.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just think it’s really neat that we’re getting someone other than the usual suspects in the final in two consecutive World Cup tournaments.

Just wish it was the Kiwis playing the Samoans instead of the Aussies.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I dunno if anyone else is watching but I have been getting back into the NRL after not watching for 10 years or so. The Warriors are doing really well, I'm not gonna say it's their year but they're playing some awesome games. Plus some of the other matches have been really good. I forgot how much I like State of Origin too, they play incredibly hard with so much passion.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The Tigers haven't changed, it's still incompetence and heartbreak with occasional flashes of skill.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I dunno if anyone else is watching but I have been getting back into the NRL after not watching for 10 years or so. The Warriors are doing really well, I'm not gonna say it's their year but they're playing some awesome games. Plus some of the other matches have been really good. I forgot how much I like State of Origin too, they play incredibly hard with so much passion.

It's their year. Come join us in the Discord- https://discord.gg/rN44WCeT

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Jono C posted:

It's their year. Come join us in the Discord- https://discord.gg/rN44WCeT

Forums >> discord.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Resident Idiot posted:

Forums >> discord.

100% this. Not many people know, but the reason Spencer Leniu went full crazy at JWH is because Jared said being on the discord is as good as posting.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Resident Idiot posted:

Forums >> discord.

Truth.

It's been a good season so far. I hate how teams get 2 points for a bye now that byes are happening so frequently, the ladder is basically meaningless unless you filter for only games played. But I was convinced the Dolphins would be terrible and they've been decent so that was a nice surprise. And it's hard to predict the top 8.

Also, lol New South Wales.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

ili posted:

100% this. Not many people know, but the reason Spencer Leniu went full crazy at JWH is because Jared said being on the discord is as good as posting.

Oh that would explain it. I thought I was just imagining things in a half-awake stupor because I was up at 5:30 US Eastern to watch the game live.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I mean, if we're going to post here, too...

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Resident Idiot posted:

Forums >> discord.

For real,I'm not much of a poster so the forums are better for me.

Agreed about the dolphins, I assumed they'd suck too but interestingly not. I watched part of the Panthers game before going to bed, I thought the roosters were going to do better.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

iajanus posted:

I mean, if we're going to post here, too...

Can you change the thread title to be more generic rather than bothering with a whole new 2023 introduction? I mean, all people need to know about rugby league if they don't already know about rugby league is that it's a game where some of the stupidest people alive, including drug dealers, wife-beaters, bestiality enthusiasts, public poohers, piss drinkers and golf kart stealers run headfirst into each other until the compounding brain damage causes one of them to eventually snap and start throwing punches whereby the other team wins on penalties. And that's why we love it goddamit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hammond Egger posted:

Can you change the thread title to be more generic rather than bothering with a whole new 2023 introduction? I mean, all people need to know about rugby league if they don't already know about rugby league is that it's a game where some of the stupidest people alive, including drug dealers, wife-beaters, bestiality enthusiasts, public poohers, piss drinkers and golf kart stealers run headfirst into each other until the compounding brain damage causes one of them to eventually snap and start throwing punches whereby the other team wins on penalties. And that's why we love it goddamit.

ok I'll get right on it, give me a sec to work out the best bestiality pun I can think of

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ok I put the request in, if I get sufficiently bored I'll do some sort of update to make the op a bit more relevant (10 paragraphs about how the Tigers are the worst team in professional and non-professional sport ought to do it)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

For real,I'm not much of a poster so the forums are better for me.

Agreed about the dolphins, I assumed they'd suck too but interestingly not. I watched part of the Panthers game before going to bed, I thought the roosters were going to do better.

I was under no illusions about the Roosters’ prospects, because that team is kind of falling apart.

Honestly, when Aubusson retired it felt like the spirit was gone—for now, anyway.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Apollodorus posted:

Honestly, when Aubusson retired it felt like the spirit was gone—for now, anyway.

Don't worry, once Nick Politis finds how much this "spirit" costs he will be able to buy some more of it for the club.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Brooks officially said he's not staying, fireworks coming soon

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Resident Idiot posted:

Forums >> discord.

Yes, but mainly because I can buy iajanus an avatar of Wests Tigers legend Braith Anasta.

:anasta:

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Who is going to want Brooks? Dogs and roosters both seem to be open to new halves, reports are Pearce is returning to the Roosters possibly lol possibly Newcastle, I guess the dolphins could be in there, there’s a few possibilities, not sure how much he’s going to get though

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'm slightly disappointed the rename doesn't feature "rugbah leeg" (or however the gently caress V'Landys pronounces it).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hammond Egger posted:

Don't worry, once Nick Politis finds how much this "spirit" costs he will be able to buy some more of it for the club.

Yeah but throwing $$$ around only gets you so far.

Now that I think about it…they lost Mitch Aubusson, Boyd Cordner, and Jake Friend to retirement between 2019-20, plus the brief star turns by the Morris brothers and Cooper Cronk, plus Latrell leaving for Souths, and no real replacement for any of them except (maybe?) Suaali’i but he’s not sticking around.

No matter how many TPAs Politis has up his sleeve it’s a big ask to rebuild the squad into perennial contenders like they were in the 2010s.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'm slightly disappointed the rename doesn't feature "rugbah leeg" (or however the gently caress V'Landys pronounces it).

I had to at least make it a little bit functional for new people finding it

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
"A great game of footy" might have brought in some confused soccer fans.

Man the Storm cleaned up last night, must be shameful being beaten by a team that isn't even named after a cool animal or something.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I hope they got it out of their system before they face whoever the Tigers can scrape together next week.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress the Storm, I hope the Tigers put 80 on the cheating cunts and Klemmer or someone elbow drops NAS' teeth in the grubby antivax wanker.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I really do not understand how they’re allowed to hold games in an active seagull feeding enclosure, myself.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Its a very Melbourne thing. The gulls like the worms.

Sydney Seagulls have more refined tastes of chips and small children so tend to be elsewhere.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

gently caress the Storm, I hope the Tigers put 80 on the cheating cunts and Klemmer or someone elbow drops NAS' teeth in the grubby antivax wanker.

This would be the miracle to end all miracles

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MiniSune posted:

Its a very Melbourne thing. The gulls like the grubs.

Ah but of course, it is the Storm we’re talking about.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
So Shane Flanagan gets the hot seat next year as Dragons coach. I think that's a tricky job.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The latest poisoned chalice in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Resident Idiot posted:

So Shane Flanagan gets the hot seat next year as Dragons coach. I think that's a tricky job.

He'll be fine, reckon Flanno will get the boys all pepped up and enhance their performance.