Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also, during the stinger at the end with the journo dude, all the articles on the Franchouchou members' deaths he has contain some extra information.

Some new bits of info that someone translated:

quote:

Saki was actually discovered alive at the scene of the crash, but sustained severe lacerations from the crash and burns from the explosion, and died approximately two hours later at the hospital. The police suspect the involvement of a group called “Ladies”, which suggests the Saga police were as out of touch then as now, or Saki (if still conscious) and/or Reiko fudged the details to avoid implicating fellow members of Dorami.

Junko’s flight (“DSN Airlines Flight 842”) appears to have crashed in the sea, as the Japan Coast Guard was responsible for recovery efforts; other pieces of the article glimpsed suggest the plane “broke in two” around the middle of the fuselage, and there being something about “over half” of something (passengers? Junko’s body?) being “lost”, and something (washing up?) on the coast.

Meanwhile, Sakura’s primary cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, and the truck was speeding on a residential street, but we kinda figured that; what’s more interesting is that the truck driver (who reported the accident himself) claimed that he had been forced to avert his eyes from the road because a bright light suddenly shone into the windshield out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Makes sense. Best Girl Saki not only is too tough to just instantly croak like that but also gave cover to both her gang and her rivals. So much respect. Wouldn't be surprised if she also fed her tamagotchi one last time even as the paramedics were charging up the defibrilator.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This is a minor thing, but has anyone else noticed that ever since episode 4, Junko has been taking less and less of Kotaro's poo poo, what with her telling Sakura she's not a ninnyhead like Kotaro said, and herbeing absolutely annoyed and pissed at Kotaro for brining home a live girl?

This show has great, subtle character development

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Part of that is that he's just had the wind out of his sails this whole season though- he's not at the bottom of the hole anymore but he sure as hell ain't back to normal. He just feels like a broken down man that's trying to pretend everything will be ok for the sake of the people he cares about.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well maybe if the judges had recognised the power of his mudskipper mating ritual then we wouldn't be in this mess!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Someone translated ZLS: Gaiden Ch. 1

https://imgur.com/a/VlcpxIg

I understand even less of the ZLS world than before.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Lol wtf, it’s like someone did a madlibs of character backstory.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Ammat The Ankh posted:

lol what the heck is this

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

a.) this is complete nonsense
b.) jesus christ it's like i'm reading a translation from 2001 why is it this bad in the year 2021

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

In fairness the guy that translated it admits they're a beginner. The reason it's on Imgur and not a manga site is that they didn't want to dissuade any legitimate translation groups from picking it up.

But yeah the translation is super iffy at times.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Think I'm gonna skip reading it then until a decent translation drops.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

mdct posted:

a.) this is complete nonsense

Just what I expect from ZLS!

Sair
May 11, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The theory was almost correct... but assumed Kotaro was smart enough to not gently caress everything up.

One thing to never assume.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Well, this episode was certainly different. Felt like a different show, but still good

We also got confirmation through the credits that the old man in the episode is Jofuku, AKA Xu Fu. For those that don't know, Xu Fu was a Chinese alchemist/explorer that was tasked with finding the secret of immortality; he's a famous figure in the Saga prefecture. Now what's the name of the bar that Kotaro frequents?

It also confirms that zombies don't have an expiration date, as Romero is confirmed to have been around this time, so that means the deadline isn't the girls passing on

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
What did the note at the end say? Crunchyroll didn't subtitle it, but it looked legible...

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Elfface posted:

What did the note at the end say? Crunchyroll didn't subtitle it, but it looked legible...

It’s written in traditional Chinese apparently and is barely legible, even JP viewers are having a hard time deciphering it but so far the consensus seems to be that it’s about Kiichi’s plan and how it seems to be gaining traction and that could be troublesome for them. Also something about a target? theory is Itou is actually a government agent who’s working undercover to eliminate potential unrest

Also Cygames announced an Uma MusumeXZLS collab earlier, with more details to be released tomorrow
https://twitter.com/zombielandsaga/status/1397907946076581891?s=20

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Elfface posted:

Speaking of Crinchyroll, why didn't they subtitle the OP and ED

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
OP and ED subtitles are a licensing mess and need to go through the music companies for approval and I believe others as well? It’s a long boring approval progress that usually results in subtitles not being added till late in a shows run, if ever

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

ZLS is on something else. I don't know any other idol show that would dedicate a whole two-part story arc to a period piece, featuring only one of the cast members and relegating the rest of the crew to cameos of their ancestors.

Also you will never be so good at sex that an entire country gets priced out of your bed.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
What was up with the other girls randomly showing up?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Let people see them in old-timey clothing.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

it’s not actually them, it’s just the show having a little fun and giving the others cameo appearances when they otherwise wouldn’t appear at all. The credits even list them as “So and so lookalike” rather than “Saki/Sakura/etc.”

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The ancestor cameos were fun As was Romero turning out to be the most veteran zombie. And hurrah for Legendary Tae's Legendary VA getting to do something other than a zombie-groan. She went 'Eh?' That's a much different noise!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That wasn't really about Yugiri per se so I was a little disappointed, we'll see about part 2! Interesting, regardless. For some reason I got the feeling the next episode is going to be a downer.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So seeing as how Saga being relevant is the source of Xu Fu's powers, is it also the source of his immortality? It looks like he was dying in the episode preview, but I don't think he will, as the barmaster looks exactly like him - some people online think it's Kiichi, which is impossible as he doesn't have the same eye color as the barmaster

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sankara posted:

That wasn't really about Yugiri per se so I was a little disappointed, we'll see about part 2! Interesting, regardless. For some reason I got the feeling the next episode is going to be a downer.

Yeah, it honestly felt more like a Kotaro episode, despite him technically not showing up, since it's all about the motivation for saving Saga.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm curious if the old man is a red herring and it's the grand son that becomes the necromancer bartender. He said last season that Yugiri was special to him so unless she makes an impression in the next episode where I assume she will be killed the grandson seems like he would care more about her.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Eggplant Squire posted:

I'm curious if the old man is a red herring and it's the grand son that becomes the necromancer bartender. He said last season that Yugiri was special to him so unless she makes an impression in the next episode where I assume she will be killed the grandson seems like he would care more about her.

Kiichi and the bartender don't have the same eye color though

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Maybe alchemy does something with that?

Or maybe it really is all about Saga, it's all geomancy and the prefecture borders will form a sigil.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

My prediction is Itou betrays Kiichi and tries to have him executed. Yugiri sacrifices herself for Kiichi, and Kiichi goes on to revitalize Saga. The old man then gets his old powers back, and is indebted to Yugiri for not only saving Kiichi, but for also leading the way to Saga becoming revitalized. Honestly, you can see most of the twists in the show coming if you pay attention during several scenes of the show (Lily being trans, Maimai as a character) - the fact that Jofuku is played by Yazan here as well has led me to believe he's also the bartender.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Willo567 posted:

My prediction is Itou betrays Kiichi and tries to have him executed. Yugiri sacrifices herself for Kiichi, and Kiichi goes on to revitalize Saga. The old man then gets his old powers back, and is indebted to Yugiri for not only saving Kiichi, but for also leading the way to Saga becoming revitalized. Honestly, you can see most of the twists in the show coming if you pay attention during several scenes of the show (Lily being trans, Maimai as a character) - the fact that Jofuku is played by Yazan here as well has led me to believe he's also the bartender.

The alternative is after Yugiri saves Kiichi he begs his grandfather to teach him necromancy as it's been foreshadowed he's smart enough to become a doctor. The grandfather also seems more concerned with the name of Saga than the ideal of making it a more egalitarian place. I could see it go either way.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The bartender says he owes Yuugiri a debt, which would be odd phrasing if he was once in love with her. More likely she helps re-establish Saga Prefecture, thus giving Xu Fu his powers back.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

drat this episode was fantastic.

Next week it looks like Okaba will finally confront Kotaro about the girls being undead

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I was not expecting a historical drama this season. But I'm glad we got it!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
TFW a zombie idol anime is a better historical drama than a lot of recent actual attempts as historical drama (looking at you Yasuke).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Also, it looks like Kiichi wasn't the bartender after all, it's Jofuku/Xu Fu.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hmm. Part of me was a bit miffed that Yugiri's story was not that much about herself and mostly focused on an idealistic guy she helped. But it was still nice to see her being cool and a badass, and her song might be my favorite one so far.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So now that we know that Romero was around when Yugiri was alive, and the bartender's (Jofuku) comment about the girls being able to continue existing as zombies in episode 1, can we conclude that there is no limit to the girls being zombies?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Using almost two whole episodes on a pretty straightforward period drama didn't really work to ZLS's strengths, but Yujiri did get a few cool moments and that performance at the end was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Hmm. Part of me was a bit miffed that Yugiri's story was not that much about herself and mostly focused on an idealistic guy she helped. But it was still nice to see her being cool and a badass, and her song might be my favorite one so far.

I completely agree.