Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Who is the more valuable player ?

Player A: 100% 3p%
Player B : 0% 3p%

It’s a truck question you can’t tell from those numbers who is valuable

ben simmons would be better shooting 100% than 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Curry is the greatest of all time. Getting all those highlight 3s is incalculable in value. Nevermind he'd more useful on defense if he just sat down at half court and that he is a terrible point guard incapable of conducting floor plan other than let me shoot 3s.

Truly the GOAT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

shooting by itself is overrated especially now in the league when lots of teams shoot well

I understand that old grand parents who watch a lot of espn and have fantasy teams would be easily impressed by Steph’s box score numbers. when you grow up watching people play in the 90s and 00s it must look impressive to see such box score numbers

but shooting efficiency numbers by themself are an abstraction . you have to look at the whole player and how their team performs . us younger thinkers know to not take stats in I solation but look at what actually happened . along with shooting percentage we also bravely look at who won the game . we are not afraid to consider this the real world

for example last night the Washington wizards shot excellently . they were 56%/40%/80% . the old Steph fans would think wow that is great shooting they are a finals team full of mvps and ball of famers !!!! no. the wizards lost. there is more to basketball than shooting

what are shooting stats an abstract for if your argument is that shooting stats aren't an entire picture of the game

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

shooting by itself is overrated especially now in the league when lots of teams shoot well

I understand that old grand parents who watch a lot of espn and have fantasy teams would be easily impressed by Steph’s box score numbers. when you grow up watching people play in the 90s and 00s it must look impressive to see such box score numbers

but shooting efficiency numbers by themself are an abstraction . you have to look at the whole player and how their team performs . us younger thinkers know to not take stats in I solation but look at what actually happened . along with shooting percentage we also bravely look at who won the game . we are not afraid to consider this the real world

for example last night the Washington wizards shot excellently . they were 56%/40%/80% . the old Steph fans would think wow that is great shooting they are a finals team full of mvps and ball of famers !!!! no. the wizards lost. there is more to basketball than shooting

what about dunking

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

my favorite thing in the nba is when kyle anderson does a fast break, but slowly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hifi posted:

what are shooting stats an abstract for if your argument is that shooting stats aren't an entire picture of the game

I was using this sense of abstraction

the process of considering something independently of its associations, attributes, or concrete accompaniments.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 24, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/gallagherartist/status/1396808125152481286?s=21

he’s good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is bad in the abstract sense though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hifi posted:

this is bad in the abstract sense though

exactly . I’m glad someone is following along

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

After the warriors blew that 3-1 lead in the finals I was walking through a rich part of SF and there was a fancy car with a vanity plate that said "DUBS B2B" lol nnnnnope

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

but who won the game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fortaleza posted:

After the warriors blew that 3-1 lead in the finals I was walking through a rich part of SF and there was a fancy car with a vanity plate that said "DUBS B2B" lol nnnnnope

well they eventually made good on it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

indigi posted:

well they eventually made good on it

sure, but it's fun to think about that rich rear end in a top hat having to drive around with that reminder of one of the most embarrassing choke jobs in sports history

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PodDontLieNBA/status/1396630815669465089

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

we going bonkers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Utah losing at home has ideological impacts possibly

Need to keep an eye on that one

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
utah has 2018 raptors feel to it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what happened that year I forget

did they get turbo stomped by lebron

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why isn't anyone talking about the mvp intangibles and fundamentals?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius posted:

what happened that year I forget

did they get turbo stomped by lebron

went 6 games against the 8 seed wizards and then got swept by lebron yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidearly/status/1396899455257960459?s=21

also

https://twitter.com/liberty_ballers/status/1396910671233703946?s=21

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 24, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1396918534601641984?s=21

Probably significant

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jazz are frauds and will also lose game two.

Got no grit. Got no grind.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sam is right but he has no idea why. He's jsut knicks posting

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Blazers going far into the playoffs this year. Silver wants a narrative about healing and moving on from the protests last year and Minnesota couldn't cut it :tinfoil:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

Jazz are frauds and will also lose game two.

Got no grit. Got no grind.

If mitchell is even 80% the grizz will be toast

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yossarian-22 posted:

If mitchell is even 80% the grizz will be toast

I respect you as a financial mind, but have you considered that the Jazz are gutless?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1396972680822366209?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The first and second place guys for 6th man were both from the same team to show you how confused voters have become

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

a new study bible! posted:

I respect you as a financial mind, but have you considered that the Jazz are gutless?

he lost money on bitcoin

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Judakel posted:

he lost money on bitcoin

i lost my doge funny money on weed stocks and a coin called "elon weed" and then made over 35k on an assortment of random dog tokens

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yossarian-22 posted:

i lost my doge funny money on weed stocks and a coin called "elon weed" and then made over 35k on an assortment of random dog tokens

this isnt even english anymore

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Telluric Whistler posted:

Go Bucks - Midwest Solidarity

fear the deer :haibrower:

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

The first and second place guys for 6th man were both from the same team to show you how confused voters have become

When one examines the starting lineup of the Utah Jazz you will need to look into the forbidden realm of stats and numbers.

Bojan Bogdanovic? 45% of 2P assisted and 90% of 3P. He is not a player as much as a manifestation of a greater set of forces (passing, assists, ball movement, energy) - how else could a player on a basketball court score buckets without generating other boxscore stats? He is anomalous! A being outside the physical realms, but clearly effecting it.

Here you will see that Donovan Mitchell is assisted on 15% of 2P and <50% of 3P. Jordan Clarkson? The same. He is the dark mirror of The Spidah. As a dark mirror we see him inextricably linked to The Spidah, a fellow who "starts" the game. A "Man of the 5" as opposed to the "Sixth Man". However, a shadow and a reflection must follow the body everywhere, it is what anchors us within the material. Jordan Clarkson is a starter, as he exists in a constant state of superposition with Donovan Mitchell. But he is also a Sixth Man.

Now we reach Joe Jingles Jinglish Ingles - a man who sits between worlds, he is emergent rather than anomalous. A shot creator, a distributor, a point guard, a forward, a shooter, a playmaker. On the boxscore, he is a starter of many games, and yes he is nominally - in a physical sense only - a "starter". However, he is a man without a position both on the court and in the material world we inhabit, existing in all places at once. We can, at a later time, investigate what we can define his position as (please refer to your readings on Gnosticism) but we can unequivocally state that he is not a "Man" by the standard definition. But I would assume C-SPAM posters are familiar with numerology and the NBA and know that the Sixth Man is defined by his absence at the start of the game (universe) and with Jingles existing in all places at once we must assume that he has some degree of 6th dimensional traversal and thus also can exist at all times (or not exist as is his wont). Thus he is a Sixth Man.

But who, then, is the "Fifth Man" or "Last Starter" who is necessary and present at the genesis of the world-life cycle that is an NBA game? Who provides the last ingredient and spark to create our universe for the Jazz if indeed Jordan Clarkson and Jinglish are Sixth Men who come after the fall and the first logging of the sinful boxscore numbers?

Look into his eyes and see the endless expanse of the moments before - the hours of tape review, practice, gameplanning, cocaine... Quinn Snyder is both the Monad and the Demiurge - the players His Emanations and thus part of His being. Look upon your Fifth Man, and know that there are two Sixth Men.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I see jokic had a much better night

he’s actually pretty good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

look how high up jokic gets

good for him

https://twitter.com/stevejones20/status/1397018286030790659?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

easily one of the worst GMs in the nba

https://twitter.com/anthonyvslater/status/1396976394576433152?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

conner mcdonald is the NHL's most valuable player and i expect him to lead the oilers to the championship this year