Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My family was Catholic; on one formative Good Friday mass I somehow determined that everyone was just going be crucified at some point in their lives and that was when you would die (brutally.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Drimble Wedge posted:

When I was little I knew about dimes, quarters, and so on, but somehow got it into my head that there was a denomination called a coin which was worth twenty cents. I remember asking my baffled mother for a coin so I could get a popsicle from the Dickie Dee guy.

Little Drimble Wedge is an honourary Australian.

Cheese flavour nugget for scale.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

My family was Catholic; on one formative Good Friday mass I somehow determined that everyone was just going be crucified at some point in their lives and that was when you would die (brutally.)

This owns and I’d return to Catholicism if this were true

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I used to think mirages would be a bigger problem than they turned out to be. Like, that I'd have to guard against seeing an oasis appear to me if I were ever in the desert or something.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you live anywhere with paved roads and warm weather you see mirages all the time, they're just not a problem

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

flavor.flv posted:

If you live anywhere with paved roads and warm weather you see mirages all the time, they're just not a problem

Yeah I've seen those but you know what I mean.

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

I used to think that running into your "arch-nemesis" was going to be a really big deal and not just something that happens to you in 1st grade.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Applewhite posted:

I used to think mirages would be a bigger problem than they turned out to be. Like, that I'd have to guard against seeing an oasis appear to me if I were ever in the desert or something.

I was also constantly terrified of running into a pit of quicksand because if you grew up in the 90s quicksand was in literally every piece of kids' media. Like I was convinced it was out there, which is why I never wore my Buttercup from The Princess Bride costume into the woods, just in case.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
have they figured out what specific dude in the media back then had a quicksand fetish?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

InediblePenguin posted:

have they figured out what specific dude in the media back then had a quicksand fetish?

Probably the same guy that loved garish neon colors

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Anvils also featured in cartoons a lot; I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Drimble Wedge posted:

Anvils also featured in cartoons a lot; I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

Ah, well this one is easy enough to explain, and while I'm sure you know by now, but anvils are to blacksmiths working with metals what cinder blocks are to concrete workers. Once you've made that simple connection it becomes apparent, but, to a child of course...

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4LMRpggig

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Resurrecting this thread to say that I thought car washes killed people. This was because I saw an episode of Inspector Morse when i was like 5 or 6 years old where a guy drove his car into a car wash, and the car came out the other side with him dead in the driver seat after being killed off-camera by a mysterious assailant. I was petrified of car washes until I was maybe 9 and went through one in my dad's car and neither of us were killed.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I thought for my whole life up until about 10 minutes ago that Malcolm McDowell and Roddy McDowall were brothers that were both actors. Now I find out that they are unrelated and that the last names are in fact spelled differently.

I think I also thought the same of Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn, and Kathleen Turner for some reason was related to them in my mind.

There was also an era when I was quite confused with the Taylor Kitsch/Taylor Lautner/Channing Tatum situation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Michael Keaton and Diane Keaton are not related (his real name is Michael Douglas), but there was a story that he got so tired of reporters in the 80s not doing their basic homework, that when they'd ask him about Diane, he'd say stuff like "She's fine; we're going to visit our uncle Buster's grave this weekend."

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

This doesn’t really qualify as a dumb thing a kid believes, it’s just something I remember from art class that’s a funny example of kid thinking.

In a summer art class that was a mixture of grade school age kids, the teacher wanted us to think of our favorite animal and favorite food and combine the two in a drawing. So you get something like Pizza Tiger or Burger Pug or whatever. I don’t remember what mine was but a younger kid in the class came up with Wheatena Man-O-War.

Wheatena is some hot cereal brand I don’t think I’ve ever had and a Portuguese Man-O-War of course is a deadly jellyfish. For whatever reason Wheatena Man-O-War has stuck with me practically my entire life. I just love how literally he took the assignment and didn’t care at all that no one else in class including the teacher knew what either one of those things were. He just drew a bowl of hot mush with tentacles because that was his favorite poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
my grandfather would sometimes make his car backfire and tell me there was a gremlin in the exhaust shooting a gun, I didn't believe him but I enjoyed the mystery of how he did it.

When my uncle was a child in the early 70s, my grandfather owned a trucking business and was sending lots of empty 55 gallon drums to halfway across the country to chicago. My uncle asked why and was told "the barrels are full of clean fresh air from here and they open them up in chicago and release it to help clean up the pollution" which really amazed my uncle.

He told his school teacher who was also amazed and invited my grandfather in to speak to the class about his efforts to fight pollution at which point he came clean and explained he was just having fun.

My grandfather was always being a clown and I wish I could remember all the ridiculous things he said or did.