Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Give me this one please!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Please poz my neg rapsheet with this one if possible.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
Roses are red, violets are blue, your head is now goo.

cstang fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 16, 2021

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

give it to me, tax daddy

alternaloser
Nov 16, 2021
he banned me 20 years ago. This one please, since it's true to life:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
hit me with some doom house or gaming garbage if you got any. poo poo I should see if I have that image they used to have on the rifftrax website for him...

edit: found it lol, slap that on there

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 16, 2021

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Rest in pieces internet hero.

VIC_20
Jun 8, 2013
Hit me

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

heal my soul please

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Since the original memorial thread is closed, I'm posting in this one. I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone fall from grace as fast as Lowtax did after the domestic abuse charges. I think maybe somehow it all made sense, and even lots of his actions in the past were seen in a different light. I don't doubt he cared about the community and the support within, but he would also be impulsive, aggressive, petty and childish, would invent new punishments like the 100,000 hour ban or the hellban and use them when other posters got more attention than himself, and banned people who disagreed him (like everyone who told him he was being a shill for promoting MLM-distributed "health drinks" with undocumented effects) for mod sass.

Lowtax was a troubled person, obviously had a lot of pain from medical problems and possibly also some substance addiction. This can explain a lot of his behavior, but not excuse any of it. gently caress him for the abusive poo poo he put his close relations through. Condolences to his kids, ex-wifes and family, hope they are doing ok.

kecske posted:

lol

was there a time where some goon drove to his house and just walked in and took a picture of him asleep on the couch?

I think it was the "office" he rented.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Probe me up, I never post anyway

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

RIP tax man

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Please immortalise him not giving me access to his Plex server.

Looking forward to my first probe!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 16, 2021

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Lowtax's terrible content made me constantly forget there was a front page. There is a front page still, right?

Erik Victory
Jan 26, 2013

Bula Vinaka posted:

Seems pretty fuckin stupid and unnecessary to me that Lowtax is dead.

hooksocks
Oct 14, 2012

cat flag
Posting for the first time in like 10 years to repost this

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Origin posted:

Lowtax's terrible content made me constantly forget there was a front page. There is a front page still, right?

it hasn't been updated since late 2020 and the last article is "DEAR FURRIES: WE WERE WRONG" by Phiz Khalifa

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012
Finally, a thread worth posting in. RIP Lowtax, you poor lost bastard.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Goodbye you salty dork.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
DemoniusX outlived Lowtax, lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Gimme this bad boy

Sonic the Hedge
Jan 29, 2014
My rap sheet is too clean, I hate it

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Probe my fuckin balls off with a picture of yr choice please

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
My grandfather died today. Doesn't matter if youre an rear end in a top hat who kills himself or live till youre 93 and do everything good and right.

In the end you get carried out in a bag by two dudes who then drive you in a van to get you turned to dust.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Hit me

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Rack em

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

requesting this one if possible

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Gimme the memorial 6er

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I would like to commemorate the death of an abusive jerk with the death of another abuse jerk, but one with slightly more class

https://i.imgur.com/ueqtYEt.mp4

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hooksocks posted:

Posting for the first time in like 10 years to repost this

Ill take onea deez

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SourKraut posted:

Give me this one please!

drat

haggisforthesoul
Feb 2, 2006
Soiled Meat
Surprise me. Thanks.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bram Stoker’s Secret: The Strange Lost Chapter of “Dracula”

Arguably among the most famous tales of darkness and the macabre ever written, Bram Stoker’s seminal 1897 Gothic horror novel, Dracula, continues to set a precedent in the horror genre more than a century after its publication.

Derivative works that range from short stories and novels, to the myriad films portraying the famous Transylvanian count, often depict Dracula as a kind of “king among vampires”, if not very literally so. Among Stoker’s early sources of inspiration for the story had been visits to locations like the crypts at Saint Michan’s Church in Dublin, Ireland, as well as a castle known as Slains, near Aberdeenshire.

However, there were perhaps no elements at play which directly inspired Stoker more than the publication of Sheridan Le Fanu’s seminal novella Carmilla, appearing in print 26 years before Dracula arrived on the scene. 

Considered one of the most sensual and risqué works of fiction for its time, Le Fanu’s novella featured boldly suggestive sexual themes. Most notably, Carmilla’s slow seduction of the story’s female protagonist would set a precedent for lesbian attraction appearing in vampire literature and films for decades to come, in addition to the general sexuality of the vampire in Gothic literature. Dracula’s character, though less explicitly suggestive than Carmella had been a few decades earlier, nonetheless portrays the passions of its namesake in a way that bodes a sort of “coming of age” for Victorian culture; a prominence of rebellion against sexual repression that had once been so common in the era.
Apart from the myriad similarities in the themes shared between Dracula and Carmilla, Stoker had once intended to include a more distinct “nod” to his predecessor’s work in the final presentation of his own vampire novel. We know this today, thanks to an odd addendum to the Dracula narrative that was later published by Stoker, but which seems to have initially been intended for inclusion as part of the original Dracula narrative, rather than merely as a standalone short story. 
The bizarre affair of Dracula’s “lost chapter” began in 1914, with the posthumous publication of a collection of Stoker’s short stories by his widow, Florence, under the title Dracula’s Guest and Other Weird Stories. In the volume, Florence wrote of the volume’s title story:

“I have added an hitherto unpublished episode from Dracula. It was originally excised owing to the length of the book, and may prove of interest to the many readers of what is considered my husband’s most remarkable work.”

This indeed seems to rather explicitly suggest that the short story called “Dracula’s Guest” was omitted from the original work. However, it was difficult to make anything conclusive of this determination, due to the fact that early drafts of Stoker’s novel were missing for many years.

During the 1980s, a remarkable discovery turned up in, of all places, a barn in Northwestern Pennsylvania: an original typescript of Stoker’s novel, numbering 541 pages in length. Numerous changes and edits had been made to the text, most notably the handwritten title on the cover page, which read simply, “THE UN-DEAD.” This is generally interpreted as having been Stoker’s original title for the book, which was invariably changed to that of the famous name of the story’s nemesis prior to publication.
Preceding the 2008 publication of The New Annotated Dracula, editor Leslie S. Klinger was given access to Stoker’s original manuscript. Studying the various changes to the text revealed a number of tantalizing clues, not least of them being protagonist Jonathan Harker complaining at one point about his throat being “still sore from the licking of the gray wolf’s file-like tongue.”
Within the context of the published narrative in Dracula we are familiar with today, this would have made very little sense; at what point would Harker have been “licked” by a wolf? Was he hallucinating?
The sentence, as Klinger notes, was later removed from the final version of the manuscript, though its inclusion in early drafts provides the key to understanding the mystery of Dracula’s “lost chapter”. Returning to the short story “Dracula’s Guest”, in it we find an unnamed protagonist (taken to have been none other than Harker) who visits Munich on Walpurgis night, while en route to Transylvania. Traveling alone while a storm lingers in the distance, Harker eventually takes cover in a cypress grove, wherein he finds a cemetery. As hailstones begin to fall, Harker discovers a large tomb, which he attempts to enter. Opening the bronze door, he finds a beautiful woman who appears to be resting inside; at this moment, a powerful lightning strike sends him flying backward, and upon awakening, he opens his eyes to see a massive, wolf-like creature licking his neck. Harker is soon rescued from the eerie affair with the arrival of a group of horsemen, who say that the beast they were pursuing was “a wolf – and yet not a wolf”, noting of Harker’s condition that “the wolf has been lying on him and keeping his blood warm.”
In light of the redacted sentence from the earlier Dracula manuscript, it seems clear that the affair involving the strange cemetery and its beastly attendant had been intended as part of the original Dracula narrative. This also explains why the early manuscript’s first chapter is labeled “ii”, as though beginning with the omission of a first chapter altogether.

There is more that we find within this “lost chapter”, however. Within the marble tomb, where Jonathan Harker initially begins to seek refuge, he was able to see a “beautiful woman” moments before a lightning strike destroys the structure under rather melodramatic circumstances:

“As I leaned against the door, it moved slightly and opened inwards. The shelter of even a tomb was welcome in that pitiless tempest and I was about to enter it when there came a flash of forked lightning that lit up the whole expanse of the heavens. In the instant, as I am a living man, I saw, as my my eyes turned into the darkness of the tomb, a beautiful woman with rounded cheeks and red lips, seemingly sleeping on a bier. As the thunder broke overhead, I was grasped as by the hand of a giant and hurled out into the storm. The whole thing was so sudden that, before I could realize the shock, moral as well as physical, I found the hailstones beating me down. At the same time I had a strange, dominating feeling that I was not alone. I looked towards the tomb. Just then there came another blinding flash which seemed to strike the iron stake that surmounted the tomb and to pour through to the earth, blasting and crumbling the marble, as in a burst of flame. The dead woman rose for a moment of agony while she was lapped in the flame, and her bitter scream of pain was drowned in the thundercrash.”

Earlier in the story, we find that upon reaching the tomb, Harker sees its inscription:

I approached the sepulchre to see what it was and why such a thing stood alone in such a place.I walked around it and read, over the Doric door, in German–

COUNTESS DOLINGEN OF GRATZ

IN STYRIA

SOUGHT AND FOUND DEATH

This will be of significance to fans of Carmilla, who will note that the story’s setting had also been a castle in Styria; thus, it seems likely that the evocation of a female vampire from this rather specific region had likely been intended by Stoker as a nod to Le Fanu’s earlier work.
Though Stoker’s publisher likely moved for the omission of the first chapter merely for space considerations, its inclusion, in retrospect, could have made more apparent such similarities, as well as their intention as a sort of homage by Stoker to one of his predecessors.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
I'll take a probing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The General posted:

I did ask a mod if this thread could be, and they did say yes, so in theory a mod will come eventually and probate us all.

lmao you got probed in your own thread

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
Hit me, baby, one more time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

goddamn this one is good

Insanitylad
Sep 20, 2004
captain I ahave a penis where My vagiana was supposed to be now giant penus.

kjetting posted:

Since the original memorial thread is closed, I'm posting in this one. I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone fall from grace as fast as Lowtax did after the domestic abuse charges. I think maybe somehow it all made sense, and even lots of his actions in the past were seen in a different light. I don't doubt he cared about the community and the support within, but he would also be impulsive, aggressive, petty and childish, would invent new punishments like the 100,000 hour ban or the hellban and use them when other posters got more attention than himself, and banned people who disagreed him (like everyone who told him he was being a shill for promoting MLM-distributed "health drinks" with undocumented effects) for mod sass.

Lowtax was a troubled person, obviously had a lot of pain from medical problems and possibly also some substance addiction. This can explain a lot of his behavior, but not excuse any of it. gently caress him for the abusive poo poo he put his close relations through. Condolences to his kids, ex-wifes and family, hope they are doing ok.

I think it was the "office" he rented.

In all seriousness, Lowtax's death has shook me up more than any other -celebrity- death ever has. It has been a long time since I've been active here...even lurking the forums for that matter. I think like a lot of people we all just got busy with life and moved on to other platforms. I've never really felt old but I'm starting to, seeing so many people on reddit not even know who Lowtax was or what the SA forums are... poo poo this would be like someone who is 15 now finding out that in 20 years pewdiepie ended up a misanthropic addict who ate his own gun.

I have several addicts in my family and I find it hard to poo poo on the guy too hard. I've seen what drugs and addiction do to the people you love, and no matter how lovely they get because of it you still love them and love the memory of who they used to be, and mourn the loss of the person they could have become. I feel for his family and their loss, and I really hope no goons do something loving stupid and let them grieve in peace.

poo poo man...Godspeed you pig-loving, poo poo posting, prince among men. I really hope internet history remembers the good parts of who he was and what he did. These forums meant so much to me and still do... In a way I hope his passing brings a lot of people back online and the forums can come alive again...I'm still not sure what direction the sites new owners are even wanting to take it in.

w00tles
Feb 8, 2006

Yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
As a long-time lurker, I'll take the 6 to mark the occasion.