Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Hey, this is the internet. There's all sorts out there. Hopefully, by pointing out how ridiculous complaining sounds, we can forestall them a bit.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So did Greez sell Cal's location to the mob to settle his debts? That doesn't seem like something you just get over.

I'm inclined to forgive Cere because of the whole 'tortured by sith' thing she had going on at the time.

I would kinda agree with both of those. I'm a bit dense though, so I sometimes need things spelled out explicitly, so do they at any point say that Greez sold out Cal? Or that he let slip where he was?

I was sorta assuming that it was Trilla who led us into a trap and got us ambushed. She has been goading us on during the last few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

painedforever posted:

I would kinda agree with both of those. I'm a bit dense though, so I sometimes need things spelled out explicitly, so do they at any point say that Greez sold out Cal? Or that he let slip where he was?

Sorc Tormo says "you have Greezy Four-Arms to thank for bringing us together" and then after you're rescued he says "I made a mistake... and I almost got you killed. I'm sorry." We're left to fill in the blanks about who had what agency in the sell-out.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is Jedi: Fallen Order canon? Disney declared a whole bunch of EU stuff to be non-canon, including all of the video-games, I think.

So, as far as I recall, that means that Starkiller is no longer canon, and neither is Revan? I guess? I heard somewhere that Mara Jade is still canon, but that blue-skinned Admiral guy isn't?

Obviously, Dash Rendar transcends all canon (for everything), but what about Cal and BB-8?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My understanding is that everything from before Disney’s takeover of Star Wars other than the films is no longer canon. So Revan, Jacen Solo, Ben Skywalker, no. But Cal and the gang, yes, since they were created long after the takeover. Han & Boba Fett get new backstory & further adventures. Thrawn (the blue admiral) is getting a new version of his tale since he’s popular. Mara Jade & Starkiller may be getting the same treatment. I’d love to see them do that for Revan too but have not heard any rumors to that effect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, everything that's not like directly a parody thing like the Lego specials after the buyout is canon, and the new canon has taken some elements from the original EU.

E: This includes Galaxy's Edge, that's canon

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

E: This includes Galaxy's Edge, that's canon

That's the $6,000 ride, isn't it?

For that kind of money, it'd better be canon.

... so does that mean that everyone who goes on that ride is part of Star Wars canon?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, the ride is just part of the Galaxy's Edge land at Disney World and Hollywood Studios and is not 6k, it's just a normal ride

You're thinking of the Galactic Starcruiser, the cruise ship they made on land

Which is also canon

Han and Leia had their honeymoon on it

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Han and Leia had their honeymoon on it

What, like a burlesque show? Disney's grown up all of a sudden!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

painedforever posted:

What, like a burlesque show? Disney's grown up all of a sudden!

No, but you can sleep in the room Kylo Ren was conceived in

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That's just... ~EW~

Imagine the Force Echoes!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm back from a more extensive than expected time away. I have a decent pipeline of episodes again and it looks like I'm going to have a couple weekends in a row to record again, so I'm hoping to get the LP completed (we're still oddly early in the game) before I have to move, or at least get things to the point where I can keep posting while packing and unpacking/getting the house set up. We're on an expedited schedule to get us moved, but it should still be around October before everything is set, so plenty of time.

This is a episode of flavor and environment stuff. I honestly thought we would be done with this planet after another episode because of how much time it had already occupied, but man is bigger than I recall. The game is pretty linear overall and this is just point A to point B stuff today, but there's a bunch of set pieces, secrets and enough space on the edges that I get off track at points trying to find secrets. I really like the environmental work in this game as well as the incorporation of creatures on all the worlds. It's a good way to keep things fresh in both exploration and enemy encounters and the game isn't afraid to spend a lot of time on enemy types you see once or twice or unique areas/environmental assets that get used infrequently at best. That's sadly missing from a lot of games like this where you are kind of expected to just mow down/beat the game five varieties of dude for the full run of the game with a couple unique boss fights. While the majority of the enemy pool are just different types of trooper, the long stretches where you don't see a humanoid, the incorporation of the hug bot and the willingness to pit the AI against itself all really help make the set piece fights more interesting and help keep encounters fresh for almost all of the game.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly, I liked the bird. It's neat, and it's basically a Roc vs an Airship, using fantasy terms. SW is space opera/fantasy, after all.
(I also played through the game, 100% the collectibles.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Lynneth posted:

Honestly, I liked the bird. It's neat, and it's basically a Roc vs an Airship, using fantasy terms. SW is space opera/fantasy, after all.
(I also played through the game, 100% the collectibles.)

Same. That bird rocked! I like to think she snatched and ate at least one stormtrooper I knocked off the tree. Hey, Ewoks ate em too, and that’s in the original movies!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I think the lack of the bird in the background, so that it came out of nowhere is the problem, not "Bird eats Shuttle". No foreshadowing!

Is it too much to hope that it ate the Ninth Sister?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Probably.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Did you see that mini-teleport that the purge trooper did? That cheap b*****d!

I didn't know they could do that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Something's pissed me off about this planet, and I think I have it now - it's not colourful. It's very drab for a rainforest.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Something's pissed me off about this planet, and I think I have it now - it's not colourful. It's very drab for a rainforest.

I think the last sections make up for that mostly. The game overall uses a ton of muted tones, even BD's lights aren't overly bright. It makes some tonal sense to keep things from being all Pandora-from-Avatar.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Amazed they didn't have animations for searching chests underwater. It's not like they'd need to do that much work given how BD ignores physics most of the time anyway.

Also, those bounce pads were just ridiculous in the best traditions of computer games.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Videos unlisted.

Seeing more of this game i dont think the dark souls comparisons are really on point. Sure it takes some direction but its quite its own thing.

Much more in common with uncharted and other high spectacle games

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It's been a minute, but we're back with a pretty active episode. We get more bird, we get a boss fight, we get drama. It's all here and wrapped up in it are five total deaths two of which made me want to quit playing videogames forever. I'll acknowledge that a couple of the deaths were me being stupid as possible and maybe overly stingy with force powers, but this reminds me of something I hate about games: Being forced to expend finite resources for progression. It needs to be said that the game is usually pretty good about where it requires force powers, generally it's going to be in non-combat areas against things like walls or giant turbine blades. In those cases you have full/infinite force powers and things are good. Sometimes, however, the game expects you to hoard some amount of force power to do things like push back rockets or stop a guy from kicking a defenseless Cal into a vat that liquid from RoboCop that hosed that dude up. Off the top of my head, only the rocket soldiers straight on require force powers to combat effectively, other enemies can be downed or distracted with them and make for easier fights. The fact that strong hits rely on the force meter means that you have to decide to incorporate more strong strikes or force powers in combat and all this together has something of a chilling effect where you worry that there won't be enough force power to use on the next stormtrooper who shows up and you'll sit there waiting for a recharge or trying to block people endlessly to regenerate power. It's part of the reason the LP is titled "The Force Leashed" as unlike the other Jedi game set between the prequel and original series, this one really makes you think about force use instead of seeing it as the reason you are here. It's a different approach to things and it doesn't make the game noticeably worse, but there's always going to be the part of me that doesn't want to use special powers because I could run out at any time and that led to me dying a couple times.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The episode title reminds me of something...

[collective groan]

Bird.... bird.... bird is the word...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

achtungnight posted:

The episode title reminds me of something...

[collective groan]

Bird.... bird.... bird is the word...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edYQiZxyw0I

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"... he spoke of a glorious creature called the Shyyyo Bird."

Oh gently caress you.

loving triple-y nonsense names.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, at least it means that the triple y is a lingiustic thing since we see it several times, rather than someone rolling their face on a keyboard, so that's at least that, no, the one thing that should make you upset is that the loving slugs are called slyyygs. That's about the same quality level as the old EU.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Some poor xenolinguist was just in way over their heads during first contact with the wookiees and improvising wildly. Like *wookiee noises* "Oh wow, uhh, 'Chewbacca' here says this planet is called, um, 'Kashyyyk.' No, yeah, with three Ys and everything. And these giant slugs? Three Ys there, too."

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Remalle posted:

Some poor xenolinguist was just in way over their heads during first contact with the wookiees and improvising wildly. Like *wookiee noises* "Oh wow, uhh, 'Chewbacca' here says this planet is called, um, 'Kashyyyk.' No, yeah, with three Ys and everything. And these giant slugs? Three Ys there, too."

The Empire wants to corner the market on "Y".

Palpatine's actual name was "Palypatyne", but his mother couldn't afford the "Y"s. That set him down the path to the Dark Side.

Really, he did it all for the Wookies.

(I'm not sorry.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm surprised Wookie doesn't have any ys. Wookiyyy?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

achtungnight posted:

I'm surprised Wookie doesn't have any ys. Wookiyyy?

It's like with Japanese where some words that got phonetic spellings in other languages have multiple "correct" ways of spelling depending on the translation system you use. "Wookie" and "Wookyyy" are both completely valid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Congratulations on the job/move, chief.

Edit: Ooof... that scene with the bird flying next to the tree, that's... not well animated.

Edit Edit: Sir Chogs. Sir. Chogs.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 10, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That one death at the start that sent you back a million miles was bullshit.

I felt your frustration.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you didn't find that workbench on Bogano, the workbench right before the Sister would be where you get the double lightsaber.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That one death at the start that sent you back a million miles was bullshit.

I felt your frustration.

And the enemies that killed him disappeared too. Robbing him of that sweet, sweet XP.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ok, for real, back to regular scheduling now. I'll explain more later.

Dathomir is the "final" main planet we see (this will make sense fairly soon) and probably the most dangerous. The melee guys are way more capable than the Stormtroopers, the creatures are far more dangerous and the ranged guys are bugged to gently caress and will often not shoot or only fire charged shots. I only take issue with the ranged guys because they can really mess up your day if you engage the melee dudes while they are bugged and suddenly you are taking shots from them when they break into normal programming while you are attempting to block two other guys.

I really mess up with my combat in the first few videos here because by this point you should be less afraid to throw in heavy attacks as part of your chain or as a counter. The Nightbrothers need to be parried a stupid number of times and will block you right back on any light attack combo, but heavy attacks can knock off a huge portion of their stamina and sometimes outright kill them if they are already low enough. One of the weirdnesses of fighting them is that it's not always clear when a strike lands so I'll occasionally go from full health to half in a few moments. They also coordinate their strikes a lot better so parrying one guy just means the other swings at you. This is where I get a bit frustrated with them because my mind keeps telling me I'll be fine punishing someone I've parried, but because there are only roll invincibility frames in the game that is just wrong and I'll take hits I shouldn't. We also start to get new characters now, but they won't really have much character work for a bit. The trip to Dathomir is long and so be prepared for this to be the setting for several future videos. I am pretty OK with this because the art design and aesthetics for this segment are really cool. Yeah, red sun, whatever, but the massive ruined statues, cave paintings, sparse wooden structures in carved rock dwelling areas are an extremely cool thing to see in Star Wars, even after coming from a "wild" planet. It's so incongruous with what we see elsewhere in the game and suggests a truly untamed planet where the others are all at least partially colonized or effected by "modern" developments.

Anyways, so what happened to delay the last week's episodes is that I took a trip up to where I'm going to move and am in the middle of buying a house. It's been something of a whirlwind since then and with any luck it'll all be over before the end of this month outside of the final signings. I'm in "finish now" mode so I can get everything up and out before I move either middle of next month or early November. This should be the last anyone has to hear about this move in the thread if all things go to plan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The workbench on Dathomir is actually the first place you can unlock the double lightsaber, since the planet unlocks at the same time as Zeffo and this bench is about as far as you can go without any upgrades/the double jump. It's pretty difficult at an early game level, though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Not only is the Bloody Rancor a drink you can get one yourself at Disneyland/World

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Lazyfire posted:

Dathomir is the "final" main planet we see (this will make sense fairly soon) and probably the most dangerous.

Oh, Dathomir's dangerous, you say? Try getting to the point where you first unlock travel between planets, and of the four you can visit, you've only heard of 2 from the old EU books, and you're not really interested in Kashyyyk, but Dathomir is interesting so you decide to go there first. Before you have pretty much any upgrades or improvements.

I can't tell you how many times those two archers and the Nightbrother on the stairs at the first save point killed me. And after I decided to give up and head back, guess what?! The two Nightbrothers BEHIND me had respawned (because I'd rested a hojillion times trying to get up that stairway)! So even giving up and getting back to the Mantis was a HUGE pain in the rear end!

Edit: VV Agreed, Dathomir is awesome, and totally worth the wait for me to play through the game and get there when I was supposed to.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 20, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I consider Dathomir my favorite planet in the game. Challenge, atmosphere, cute chicks testing you, weird wanderers you just know are evil- what’s not to like?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wa11y posted:

Oh, Dathomir's dangerous, you say? Try getting to the point where you first unlock travel between planets, and of the four you can visit, you've only heard of 2 from the old EU books, and you're not really interested in Kashyyyk, but Dathomir is interesting so you decide to go there first. Before you have pretty much any upgrades or improvements.

I can't tell you how many times those two archers and the Nightbrother on the stairs at the first save point killed me. And after I decided to give up and head back, guess what?! The two Nightbrothers BEHIND me had respawned (because I'd rested a hojillion times trying to get up that stairway)! So even giving up and getting back to the Mantis was a HUGE pain in the rear end!

Edit: VV Agreed, Dathomir is awesome, and totally worth the wait for me to play through the game and get there when I was supposed to.
Maybe giving players their choice of destination was a mistake. For both ends of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's really weird that they had Dathomir unlocked right away because like I said, there's only so far you can go without the double jump.