Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

fuctifino posted:

Don't forget that most kids have also caught 'asymptomatic' covid at least once due to the loving Tories letting it spread through the schools. While many kids showed little to no symptoms at the time, nobody knows if there is any long term damage to the immune system, and that could be a potential reason for the spike in severity of the strep symptoms.

It's also possible they are dying because the NHS is collapsing.

As ever Tories Delanda Est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yup, having problems to see a GP and get antibiotics in time could very easily play a factor in these deaths.

The cold snap starts in a few days. Things are going to get much grimmer. :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pretty much - béal is mouth but pus is like a pout
So more like "this kant's giving me some mouth/lip" than "this area of the craniofacial muscles is the mouth/lip"?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

So more like "this kant's giving me some mouth/lip" than "this area of the craniofacial muscles is the mouth/lip"?

Yeah definitely not anatomical, the sulk is implied. My mother would often ask me "why ye walking around with a puss on ye?" when I was an angsty teen.

The answer - I was getting zero puss

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Enjoy some hot wet pussy action to make up for it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MarvelousAjarBetafish-mobile.mp4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63788730

Peanut allergies: Parents worry after Palforzia drug sales flop

Oh, its the PARENTS that are worrying a $500 dollar drug isn't selling.
The parents.
Not the drug company, its the PARENTS

quote:

But the drug seems to have flopped commercially after lower-than-expected uptake among doctors, according to Nestlé.

Why are Nestle in this, maybe its due to the nuts in their sweets and...

quote:

Just two years after packaged-food giant Nestlé bought the manufacturer of Palforzia

They own it. But its the PARENTS that are worried that they cant find $500 medicine handy.

FFS at least make an effort to cover up the paid for articles.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Martin Shkreli called

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Failed Imagineer will probably have better input than I, but I think it's from Gaeilge for mouth or lip, via bus, not anything to do with the Latin for rotten or corrupt flesh (pus) or the Old Germanic-Anglish for the sound a cat makes (puss/poes/pos/I'm not sure any of them actually heard a real cat).

Whenever I try and attract a cat the sound used here is "kss kss kss", I dunno why except it's said cats listen to S sounds extra well, which might be BS. For our cat it's a pretty surefire way though. I think most languages have their own sounds and I guess cats learn to recognize it for what it is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

I know "Mon" means "man" but I don't think "Ocht" means anything.

"Ought", isn't it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

"Ought", isn't it?

Think "ocht" is like "owt" meaning "anything". Whereas "och" I assume is the same as Irish "ach" meaning "but"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

"Ought", isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ECGKcl4s-k

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's also possible they are dying because the NHS is collapsing.

As ever Tories Delanda Est.

An FT reporter dug into this a few months back and basically I think the general narrative should be that a deeply wounded NHS is being finished off by covid, both in terms of the direct impact of it and long covid but also the sudden disruption of service from the pandemic has continued to cause the UK population to be generally sicker and untreated longer:

https://www.ft.com/content/c333a6d8-0a56-488c-aeb8-eeb1c05a34d2

The trend in people unable to work due to long term sickness is just a little bit pre-pandemic meaning covid is a strong factor rather than primary cause.

Weekly mortality has been elevated to above the second standard deviation for most of the weeks of the year as well:

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...to-week-44-data

And in the last part of the year is calculated to have a really strong non-covid component:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...insights/deaths

That certainly could be long covid created death by other means but generally the outlook is really really bad.

I guess this is slightly irrelevant when talking about children specifically although lack of early access to medical treatment will definitely cause worse outcomes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whenever I try and attract a cat the sound used here is "kss kss kss", I dunno why except it's said cats listen to S sounds extra well, which might be BS. For our cat it's a pretty surefire way though. I think most languages have their own sounds and I guess cats learn to recognize it for what it is.
I suppose it's no weirder than what the cats themselves do, but kss kss sounds closer than poes poes, unless those old Frisian cats made different sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlweA0vR8rg

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
anyone concerned that hell was freezing over and pigs were taking flight can now be reassured, starmer's labour does not in fact have an actual policy after all:

https://twitter.com/lara_spirit/status/1599011125013532674

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Angepain posted:

anyone concerned that hell was freezing over and pigs were taking flight can now be reassured, starmer's labour does not in fact have an actual policy after all:

reminded me of this one

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Don't forget that most kids have also caught 'asymptomatic' covid at least once due to the loving Tories letting it spread through the schools. While many kids showed little to no symptoms at the time, nobody knows if there is any long term damage to the immune system, and that could be a potential reason for the spike in severity of the strep symptoms.

WURWUWHGH NO UFS NO BUHTS :nono:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

why gordon brown ringing people at 11pm to shout at them

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

crispix posted:

why gordon brown ringing people at 11pm to shout at them

I mean it's the most logical thing he could be doing. If I were Gordon Brown and had been done dirty like that I'd be ringing people all the time to shout at them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'd just enjoy my lots of money and go for walks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He originally wanted to be a kirkman like his da, so I imagine he was ringing at 11pm to warn Kier not to turn the TV onto the high number channels because there's all kinds of touching on there, the antichrist walks among us you know.

Kier is too piss drunk to even find the remote.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ngl I find rattling a packet of Dreamies works best.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

With the pus meaning mouth I'm assuming it's a b/p hardening from bus likely from French bouche, or whatever proto-word that became modern bouche.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I get my cat's attention by going SIMBA FOR gently caress'S SAKE while she is inevitably yowling her head off at 3am because her heat pad's timer went off and it's cold now. That doesn't work though. What works is if I hiss really loudly. So basically I hope the neighbours can't hear me because I sound like a furious vampire.

She does often look into the camera while I'm trying to take pictures though. Selfie cat.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

crispix posted:

i'd just enjoy my lots of money and go for walks

He can enjoy his money and walk during the day. At night he should call Starmer and tell him how poo poo he is.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahaha

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/1598994839193821184
https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1598714076267700225

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thing is I don't necessarily mind if people ask where I'm from but generally it's because it's someone else with more diverse heritage than "white British" curious about a fellow funny tinge haver.

I guess if a snobby white woman was asking it while waving calipers I'd feel differently about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most people are happy to talk about their heritage and the positive parts of it that they identify with, but if it turns into a "no but where are you really really from, you can't say a white place" inquisition then that's very different.

Lots of English people (I bet they're really really from Jutland) deliberately failing to grasp the difference between the two on social media today.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, definitely asking "where are you from" getting an English town and going "yeah no where are you really from, Negroid" with the italics part silent but audible, that's a different ball game to "ah nice, and what's your family heritage?" and if they aren't happy to say then shutting the gently caress up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Where are you from" implies 'you're not from here' and unless you're a farmer warning tourists away from the moors at night, this is absolutely unacceptable behaviour.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Are you saying this to me because I'm black?"

"No zurr, I be tryin ter ascertain if you know the legend of knife-dick jim."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's true, normally I only ask "where are you from" to someone with an obviously non-local accent. I guess to someone as inbred as the queen's advisor a normal London accent does sound non-local.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah, you only have to read the transcript of the conversation to know that Hussey was racist as gently caress. Anyone arguing that she wasn't racist can only harbour racist thoughts themselves.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also her surname is literally a demonym for a peoples who come from a belt in north-western Africa.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It depends on context too, if you're at a networking event for people from all over then "where are you from?" can be a neutral question, but if you get "Bob's Plastic Extrusion in Sheffield" as an answer then understand that you've been granted an out rather than an invitation to double down.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/joinaunionpls/status/1598967242946883585?s=46&t=Den5X5WNAmOH50iGBNRp7w

I hope British journalists - and 99% of the whole media class for that matter - are never allowed to forget what they did.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/joinaunionpls/status/1598967242946883585?s=46&t=Den5X5WNAmOH50iGBNRp7w

I hope British journalists - and 99% of the whole media class for that matter - are never allowed to forget what they did.

we regret to inform you that the goldfish has forgotten

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Answers Me posted:

I just hope they die to be honest OP

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

That's true, normally I only ask "where are you from" to someone with an obviously non-local accent. I guess to someone as inbred as the queen's advisor a normal London accent does sound non-local.

I mentioned this at the end of the last thread, but that obviously non-local-accent-having person may have been living there for decades. Once you've been there that long, having it as the first question you get when you meet someone new is tedious. I do recommend finding something better.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Answers Me posted:

i'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed over the last 6 years, so forgive me for asking, but as a foreigner who only half remembers this story from 2016, and who has no experience with the british rail system, my naive assumption is that all the seats with tags but no people are reserved in some way for people further down the line? or i guess maybe they require a higher-class ticket? it would be a blow to the assumptions i live my life by if an empty seat with a bright red tag over it is open to anyone to just take a seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed over the last 6 years, so forgive me for asking, but as a foreigner who only half remembers this story from 2016, and who has no experience with the british rail system, my naive assumption is that all the seats with tags but no people are reserved in some way for people further down the line? or i guess maybe they require a higher-class ticket? it would be a blow to the assumptions i live my life by if an empty seat with a bright red tag over it is open to anyone to just take a seat

They normally say on them what portion of the journey they are reserved for and you can sit on them for any of the rest of it. I guess that's sort of the point. Tbh I'd sit on them regardless and move if I need to later rather than sit on the floor but I probably don't have a political point to make.

Albinator posted:

I mentioned this at the end of the last thread, but that obviously non-local-accent-having person may have been living there for decades. Once you've been there that long, having it as the first question you get when you meet someone new is tedious. I do recommend finding something better.

Dunno why you consider yourself so special that you don't have to put up with tedious questions and people all the time.