Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Testicle Masochist posted:

+ing If Books Could Kill and Maintenance Phase. I’ve subbed on Patreon to If Books Could Kill and the bonus episodes are good too.

Bolded are my top reccs

Politics/Recent History/Foreign Policy

Blowback - History of American foreign policy in particular wars. Is a leftist podcast. I’m nearly finished the first season, which covers the Iraq War. I’ve been really engaged with this one, they’re meticulous with sourcing. It’s horrifying but imo they find a good blend of showing that without making it too depressing to listen to.

Citations Needed - Mostly current events and media spin/PR bullshit. The hosts are good and they always have interesting guests on to talk about the topic. You can jump in anywhere with this one, they have heaps of episodes but excepting the multi parters they’re all self contained.

Ghost Stories for the End of the World - I was listening to this for a while last year. I stopped because while it’s interesting and engaging, I could feel it feeding into some obsessive thinking patterns. It’s probably fine for people without OCD or some other paranoid mental disorder?

Transmissions From Jonestown - This is the only true crime podcast I listen to, I don’t like that stuff generally. But this is meticulous and respectful, and the host is fantastic. But yeah it’s pretty loving grim.

Normal Stuff

The Allusionist - Linguistics podcast, short and sweet episodes, this is a fun one.

Ologies - Already mentioned in this thread, but yeah I like it, it’s one I’ll put on when I’m bored and don’t want something too heavy.

Take Five - Guest musicians share five of their favourite songs. It’s neat hearing them talk about the music they enjoy.

I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats - Hosted by lead singer/songwriter of The Mountain Goats, and one of the Nightvale Producers. It’s on hiatus(finished?) but it’s worth a listen if you want to hear about the creative process behind the making of a couple of their albums, they devote an episode to a song and the circumstances around it.

Sounds Like a Cult - I’ve not listened to a lot of this one yet, but I’ve enjoyed it. The hosts are fun but fun might be annoying for others, they’re very…upbeat girly girl type of energy. I like it but my housemate finds it annoying.

Fiction

The Heresies Of Radulf Burntwine - THORB is fun. It’s new, not many episodes out yet. Is a horror series, set in some other world that seems to be like in the transition to the equivalent to our early modern era. I like it quite a lot tbh. It’s got a medical angle, the narrator’s character is a physician doing reports on weird stuff.

Re: Dracula - This one is infuriating. It’s a well produced and acted audio drama of Dracula. It’s extremely good. But the amount of ads and the ratio of ads to the actual show is absurd. The length the episodes go for can vary wildly, some are like just a few minutes, but others can be 40 min or longer. But you’re still gonna get a few minutes of ads per episode no matter how long!!! Also I just checked my app and they’ve taken the episodes down and are rereleasing them daily again so that’s dumb. Listen to this if you want but it’s really hard to enjoy an atmospheric horror story when suddenly McDonalds is advertising you bullshit.

Am pretty keen to listen to more Audio dramas and fiction podcasts

Thanks I've heard none of these so far, will check a few out.

For drama / fiction id rec King Falls AM ( fun campy sometimes a tiny bit scary) and Old Gods of Appalachia, Ghost story of ancient horrors buried in the mountains unwittingly released by coal miners upon 1910-ish rural Kentucky. Good quality on both imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tambaloneus posted:

Do Go On - Australian "one of the three comedians does a report on a topic to the other two" comedy, literally half of it is the most extra patreon shoutout section I've heard on any podcast, but I love them all and they can read out a thesaurus for six hours I'd still listen. Dave has a spinoff quiz show on youtube that is at least as unhinged as the pod.

I don’t know how I missed that Dave has a YouTube quiz show, I have to check that out. I’m a real sucker for those guys, I’ve listened to Prime Mates, Book Cheat, Who Knew It, Simply the Jest, and Listen Now. Do Go On is still the best but I love how prolific they are.