Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there any reason for the name to be shortened as you get deeper into the story? It never happens if I call the character Toshiro Mifune.

I always go by Clint Eastwood when I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
Time to save the town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ccpotkq3PE

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Tsubohachi's reaction to Suzu being kindapped is hilarious if you remember the beginning of the first day.

drat, that Naginata is brutal. I'll try to find one as a replacement for my upgraded Chigusa, even though the running slash is sweet, and it's less prone to overheating through the crowds.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SelenicMartian posted:

The Tsubohachi's reaction to Suzu being kindapped is hilarious if you remember the beginning of the first day.

Hey, he probably loves her, he's just got a funny way of showing it. :v:

2 and 3 (I assume 4 as well) have safes at your house where you can store your swords and even change swords mid-play, as well as items and cash. I think an actual money safe is less useful than it would have been in this game, because you carry your money with you from playthrough to playthrough. Although it's still useful in 3 because you have some jerkass ronin that literally charge into you and steal a fuckton of money. It's always a round number, but if you're carrying 10,000+ yen, they'll take 10,000. :argh:

Essentially, Way of the Samurai 1 was a nice prototype for the swordplay, but they didn't start fine-tuning the ancillary mechanics until the sequels.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I love that someone posted a comment on youtube informing you that you reused the quote about doing something twice.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Incidentally, you can get this ending just so long as you keep Tsubohachi alive during the break in. You don't have to have the back door open; that just makes it easier.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk

Dareon posted:

Essentially, Way of the Samurai 1 was a nice prototype for the swordplay, but they didn't start fine-tuning the ancillary mechanics until the sequels.

I'll take simple, unique, and functional at the expense of rough over streamlined, involved, and tutorialized at the expense of useless. Or samey.
I do not need a money bank because I only ever spend yen six at a time at a man who will always be there to take it unless I've murdered him myself.
I do not need an item inventory because there is always enough stuff around on the ground to use right away.

It is a little rough and a little inconvenient, and I love it.

Not trying to beef at you. You are basically correct.

HMS Boromir posted:

I love that someone posted a comment on youtube informing you that you reused the quote about doing something twice.

I also love this. I have another quote coming for warriors of that nature.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Huh. You didn't get a hint about how to get a better ending this time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. You didn't get a hint about how to get a better ending this time.
Endings 1 and 2 don't give those.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A thought about Suzu: The game takes place as the Emperor is regaining control from the samurai families, and Suzu lost both parents in the conflict. I always took this to suggest that Suzu's parents held some political power in life, and it was potentially a threat to the government. This would explain why Shiretoku tries to chase her away (for her own safety) and why Tamagawa tries to kill her. I assume Suzu herself is entirely ignorant of the matter.

That leaves Tsubohachi, who, for his part, simply never quite grasped the subtleties of picking up chicks.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

What ending, if any, would result from doing nothing or at least, no story stuff? Would you just railroaded into rescuing Suzu or something?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Death Zebra posted:

What ending, if any, would result from doing nothing or at least, no story stuff? Would you just railroaded into rescuing Suzu or something?
You can leave the pass at any point. It's a non-ending, but you get the unlock points and keep the swords.
It's hard not to get to an ending, when the time progression is tied directly to story events.

I hope, there will be an update of random non-crucial scenes and NPC chatter. There's tons of stuff outside of plot.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Schwarzwald posted:

That leaves Tsubohachi, who, for his part, simply never quite grasped the subtleties of picking up chicks.

Whatchu talking about, Willis? Tsubohachi's great at picking up chicks! Why, he swept her right off her feet! :downs:

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

A thought about Suzu: The game takes place as the Emperor is regaining control from the samurai families, and Suzu lost both parents in the conflict. I always took this to suggest that Suzu's parents held some political power in life, and it was potentially a threat to the government. This would explain why Shiretoku tries to chase her away (for her own safety) and why Tamagawa tries to kill her. I assume Suzu herself is entirely ignorant of the matter.
The Kurou Family is trying to run everyone out of the station. Their people will need some place to stay after they sell the foundry, after all. I think they're chatting about it if you visit the foundry on Night 1.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Death Zebra posted:

You can turn down or not get involved with a lot of stuff, but any ending is primarily based around being active in support of one faction or another. Way of the Samurai 2 switches to a time-based structure, and you can get an ending by sleeping in your house all week and then going to the mandatory story event. Both hostile factions attack the event, and you wind up killing everyone hostile and going "Welp, that was stupid." 3 switches back to the location-based event structure (and divorces time passing from plot advancement completely, you can spend as long as you want mucking about or blaze through the story in 48 hours), but you can still piss off everyone so badly that a little kid comes up and is like "Hey rear end in a top hat, why dontcha go kill this other rear end in a top hat?" and you can turn him down and get an ending that way.

Stopwatch Crash
Sep 30, 2008
If you remember the first update, it's possible to play through the game and offend/kill enough people that you can't actually trigger any of the ending sequences. Unless I'm forgetting something (like at the shrine, maybe), there's no fallback scenario in this game for that, the game doesn't end until you leave or die.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk

Death Zebra posted:

Pretty much this:

Stopwatch Crash posted:

If you remember the first update, it's possible to play through the game and offend/kill enough people that you can't actually trigger any of the ending sequences. Unless I'm forgetting something (like at the shrine, maybe), there's no fallback scenario in this game for that, the game doesn't end until you leave or die.

The only way time passes is through events. If you trigger an event in an area, the game will prevent you from leaving the area until you complete the event, which involves taking a side in things. It is an elegant way of keeping things moving while giving the player a choice in how things play out.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
Now that you know how all the relevant events play out, you can work them to your advantage to stop the hidden threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZUW8ngX3c

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"Cowboy ninja samurai".. So, you're doing Samurai Western next?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's nice seeing everything come together like this. I like this game's willingness to throw a final battle at you even if you're going to lose anyway.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
We've set all the pieces in place; now the time has come. Let battle be joined by all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LzodGljBA

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

My Name Is Kaz posted:

We've set all the pieces in place; now the time has come. Let battle be joined by all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LzodGljBA

Video is private :saddowns:

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
e: beaten

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
Fixed. Sorry.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I love how upbeat Ending 1 is. No attempt to add dramatic tension - you've already been through it like five times, after all - just one glorious, jolly faceroll from Hyuga's death on. The bit where you get to outnumber faceless mooks with boss-level allies is really the perfect picture of this ending.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Doopliss posted:

I love how upbeat Ending 1 is. No attempt to add dramatic tension - you've already been through it like five times, after all - just one glorious, jolly faceroll from Hyuga's death on. The bit where you get to outnumber faceless mooks with boss-level allies is really the perfect picture of this ending.

And then Don dies at the end for like, no reason. And no one cares.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Don died trying to steal money from the Kurou family :saddowns:.

I remember my first time trying to get this ending I failed because I didn't beat Shiretoko when I 'proved' myself to the Kurou family. It's interesting because if they let you get ending 1 if that occurred his line mentioning you defeating him in front of Tesshin wouldn't make any sense.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Makes perfect sense, can't exactly participate in the money stealing event if you want Ending 1.

This game has been amazing to watch, but it feels like there were a lot of scenes we didn't see. Jose shows up for all of, what, one event? Did we see what happens to the extra mook when you vandalize Suzu's shop? (maybe I wasn't paying attention) Not complaining tho, keep up the good work Kaz.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm glad somebody finally deflected some bullets with their sword. Now it's a real samurai game.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mad Dean posted:

Makes perfect sense, can't exactly participate in the money stealing event if you want Ending 1.

This game has been amazing to watch, but it feels like there were a lot of scenes we didn't see. Jose shows up for all of, what, one event? Did we see what happens to the extra mook when you vandalize Suzu's shop? (maybe I wasn't paying attention) Not complaining tho, keep up the good work Kaz.

Karibe shows up and murders him.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Is it possible for Tesshin to die when he's fighting enemy mooks?

Stopwatch Crash
Sep 30, 2008
I remember that in the last fight of the Kurou ending path, Tesshin can't go below half health (same for Kitcho and the Akadama path). I haven't actually checked any of the other scenes where Tesshin is fighting, but it would make sense if they let him cheat there too so he can't die at dramatically inappropriate times.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Games where the rebels are legitimately bad guys are pretty rare, certainly when compared to games where they're actually the heroic faction that you switch sides to near the end of the first or second act.

The only ones I can think of are FTL and, interestingly, Way of the Samurai 3 (2 doesn't actually paint the bandit faction as rebels). Ouka Clan has the stated goal of overthrowing the local government and restoring the Sakurai Clan. However, there's only one important NPC that is really focused on that goal, the clan's boss is just a plain old bandit, and if memory serves, only two or three of the mooks walking around even mention Sakurai.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 11, 2014

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

RE: Japanese flutes and their differences from the concert flute:

It's hard to tell because there's two instruments in particular that stand out as qualifying for that description. The fue (particularly the shinobue), and the shakuhachi. The shinobue is a transverse flute much like a concert flute but unlike the concert flute, they're individually carved from wood (or, nowadays, made from plastic) in a variety of lengths to adjust for pitch. Unlike the configurations of the concert flute which include a number of keys to help adjust pitch and move across octaves, a shinobue only has a certain number of pitch holes, so in order to move up and down octaves you have to adjust air pressure (for the unexperienced, like myself, this often leads to a very airy sound due to overblowing).

If I had to guess, I'd probably say that the instrument being referred to is a shakuhachi because that seems to be the more prominent instrument, especially when dealing with period pieces, but I haven't really listened all that closely to the OST, which is a shame because it's pretty great.

Of course, it might also be referencing both! Who knows?

Akujiki fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 11, 2014

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm so happy to finally see the ending. I rented this as a kid and couldn't figure out how to get the best ending. Thank you Kaz.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Just one ending left now - the worst one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hectorgrey posted:

Just one ending left now - the worst one.

Sounds like we get to see what happens when you play a psycho and don't leave the pass.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Sounds like we get to see what happens when you play a psycho and don't leave the pass.
Alas, it's mostly about being an idiot in the last moment. Now, WotS 3 had a kill everyone, including the savepoints, ending.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
One ending left, which we begin tonight. After this, I have a few more videos planned, each of which will take a little more effort from me so please bear with me. For now, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb4t--X4Z8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Man, I knew this composer was familiar. Noriyuki Asakura is the dude who also did the Tenchu music :staredog: The ending song in particular has a few points that are REALLY reminiscent of a few Tenchu tracks.

• Locked thread