Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best wizard?
Merlin
Raistlin
Elminster
Rand
View Results

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wizard of Smart posted:

This is the thread that asks the real questions.

will our celebrity guest enter and sign in please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best wizard is Antero Vipunen mostly because he's also a hill and he ate another, more powerful wizard.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Ridcully has a crossbow

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Teclis is p strong. Not gonna say the BEST, but certainly should be mentioned in this kind of serious conversation, probably.

Out of all the ones listed in the OP its probably Elminster though. Merlin is a total bitch imo. Raistlin is a close second.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dave_Indeed posted:

I think everyone deserves an explanation for why two people voted for this dipshit. According to google he's a little bitch side character that runs away from everything.

Rincewind is a wizard who cannot cast spells. This dude was, like, cutting class at the Unseen University and accidentally became bonded with with one of the 8 prime spells that governs reality. This has two side effects:

A) until he casts it he can't learn new spells because his brain is either full or because other magic is scared of whats in his brain

B) He can't die. While his natural cowardice was already legendary the spell in his head has a way of tugging unseen strings. Pushed off a balcony? Low-flying drake scoops you up. Shanghaied by pirates? They'll be scuttled by sea witches and he'll end up on the shore. And whether he is offered riches, men or women, power, he just books it to higher ground and tries to figure out how to go back to the city.

Along the way, he encounters kings and queens and barbarian ancients and an army of clay soldiers and a forbidden king. He even climbed up the top of the world and rode a submarine over the side into space.

He has essentially completed an epic level D&D campaign start to finish as a level 1 Wizard with a single 9th level spell, armed with nothing but a chubby asian optimist and an animated trunk that is basically an angry bag of holding.

He was also the main character of the series for the first 4-5 books and gets his own every 10 after that, but no, he isn't a side character.

Rincewind owns.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 28, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a wizard that cant cast spells is the best wizard. you loving idiot. you should be too ashamed to breathe.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

a wizard that cant cast spells is the best wizard. you loving idiot. you should be too ashamed to breathe.

this sounds wrong to me...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like only needing one spell is pretty baller, but i never claimed he was the best, just explaining why he deserves a dishonorable mention.

I feel like this is a tie between Gandalf/Dumbledore/Merlin

With a back up trophy for Byron Orpheus as Best Wizard-Dad

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Diavyth Fyr

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

This dude is feeling good and is in his element. Good for him

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Aleister Crowley is legitimate- a freak wizard of his time; professor of the occult and master over thaumaturgy, plus he's magic's patron saint of power-bottoms.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Aleister Crowley once hosed a dude with his rear end so hard that it drove the man to madness.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Whoever wins MageKnight is the best wizard

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96848/mage-knight-board-game

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
gandalf you twit

or maybe his ripoff allanon

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL

So if Ms. Frizzle is a time lord, are time lords wizards? I'm not down with magic taxonomy.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
My grandfathers name is merlin. I don't remember him ever wearing his actual wizard attire. :shrug:
wonder when he's gonna come out of the wizard closet.
I bet theres cool things in there, so I wouldn't leave either.
grandpa if you're reading this I love you!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This dude is feeling good and is in his element. Good for him

He doesn't even have horns or a cape he's a piece of poo poo poo poo gently caress him and his lame-rear end wizardry also he's gay.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bust Rodd posted:

Rincewind is a wizard who cannot cast spells. This dude was, like, cutting class at the Unseen University and accidentally became bonded with with one of the 8 prime spells that governs reality. This has two side effects:

A) until he casts it he can't learn new spells because his brain is either full or because other magic is scared of whats in his brain

B) He can't die. While his natural cowardice was already legendary the spell in his head has a way of tugging unseen strings. Pushed off a balcony? Low-flying drake scoops you up. Shanghaied by pirates? They'll be scuttled by sea witches and he'll end up on the shore. And whether he is offered riches, men or women, power, he just books it to higher ground and tries to figure out how to go back to the city.

Along the way, he encounters kings and queens and barbarian ancients and an army of clay soldiers and a forbidden king. He even climbed up the top of the world and rode a submarine over the side into space.

He has essentially completed an epic level D&D campaign start to finish as a level 1 Wizard with a single 9th level spell, armed with nothing but a chubby asian optimist and an animated trunk that is basically an angry bag of holding.

He was also the main character of the series for the first 4-5 books and gets his own every 10 after that, but no, he isn't a side character.

Rincewind owns.

Ridcully is better because:

A) Became the head of UU, a position whose life expectancy was measured in months, and made it his own for over a decade.

B) Ripped as gently caress, is a wizard without being a pasty rear end nerd about it

C) Bosses Rincewind around all the loving time and Rincewind can't do dick about it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Aleister Crowley once hosed a dude with his rear end so hard that it drove the man to madness.

this is my origin story

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
is that what lovecraft is always banging on about ??

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Oh poo poo.... That IS a good wizard...

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

dont be fuckin dim, booys

^^ this guy here will steal your H, suck your cock, then summon the wickedest daemon ever, not necessarily in that order.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

blainestereo posted:

dont be fuckin dim, booys

^^ this guy here will steal your H, suck your cock, then summon the wickedest daemon ever, not necessarily in that order.

pretty sure he wont :smug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have two Hs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When you graduate with a masters or phd you have to wear wizard robes. But unlike an english literature phd, a wizard can probably find work

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Teclis is p strong. Not gonna say the BEST, but certainly should be mentioned in this kind of serious conversation, probably.

Out of all the ones listed in the OP its probably Elminster though. Merlin is a total bitch imo. Raistlin is a close second.

Raistlin rope-a-doped Tiamat, then killed her, became a god, then killed all the other gods

what did Elminster ever do that could eclipse that

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Abi Dalzim or Tenser really.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my nephew lakynn is a real wiz(ard) with electronics. he put a slot machine on my ipad i can play as much as i want without ever paying a dime

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

When you graduate with a masters or phd you have to wear wizard robes. But unlike an english literature phd, a wizard can probably find work

Oh my god I wish I was a wizard for a living. gently caress poo poo up with fireballs all day, drink some mana potions with the boys, gently caress up a few more shits and then back to your wizard tower to nail sexy conjured demon chicks with big ole boobs.

It's so logical to be a wizard. gently caress this reality where I am not a wizard for my job.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dave_Indeed posted:

Oh my god I wish I was a wizard for a living. gently caress poo poo up with fireballs all day, drink some mana potions with the boys, gently caress up a few more shits and then back to your wizard tower to nail sexy conjured demon chicks with big ole boobs.

It's so logical to be a wizard. gently caress this reality where I am not a wizard for my job.

Jesus Christ I just realized that my commute back to my loving wizard tower could be on a drat magic cloud or some other kind of flying magic device.

naem
May 29, 2011

The main job of a magic user is to shut down other magic users with dispell's, the result being basically "no magic"

In the rare instance someone gets the upper hand magically it turns into a fire and lightning fest and it's a real mess, pretty much like nukes today. It's powerful but nobody wants anyone ELSE to use it.

That's why you see wizards as old beardy men in a castle somewhere, the best career track is "free room and board from the local noble" where you just keep studying all day so none of your friends from grad school can nuke your new boss.

It makes dating awkward when your ex is your next adversary and you're like "oh great YOU'RE the dark sorceress?? Hey nice skull boobs by the way, aren't you in your 70's?? Yes I'm still mad about the dog I RAISED that dog, I don't care if you had the lease on the apt that was MY dog"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mathematicians = magicians??

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dave_Indeed posted:

Dude I dont even care I would be a wizard so loving fast if it was an option

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think Phil Collins is the best wizard for his spell binding performance of in the air tonight

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude I dont even care I would be a wizard so loving fast if it was an option

wouldnt u have to go to wizard school or something? gently caress school man

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

wouldnt u have to go to wizard school or something? gently caress school man

You just need a high enough intellect score brah. If you have that then you just right click on books and absorb their knowledge that way.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dave_Indeed posted:

You just need a high enough intellect score brah. If you have that then you just right click on books and absorb their knowledge that way.

No you have to spend 1d4 hours daily studying your spell books; if you get at least a masters you cut that many years of study time the rest of your life it's a good investment

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

spontaneous casters are way cooler neways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lizard Wizard

• Locked thread