Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

extra stout posted:

is this tennyson or eliot

Neither, it's The Pixies.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Best Giraffe posted:

Actually friend the truest and highest ideal of nihilism is basically enlightenment, hth

See also: Thus Spoke Zarathustra; LSD; just fuckin thinking about it u you dumbshit

I had to read thus spoke Zarathustra in highschool. Lol like I needed that boring rear end book to tell me a bunch of obvious poo poo

Nietzsche can suck my uberballs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

InterFaced posted:

If I didn't have weed to smoke and computer games to play I'd probably kill myself.

Same. Also, my anime body pillows

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

but LF thinks hes a fraud and a crypto-fascist?

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
My greatest fear is not that nothing matters, but that everything matters a great deal and that I have hosed it all up.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

yeah the thought that anythings matters in this world is a terrifying prospect for somebody like me

luckily nothing matters so we're good

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFnuwj1kS_k

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Things matter in so far as they matter to you. Personally I'm invested in reaching old age so I can witness the extinction of mankind

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

what up

nothing.
nothing is up.
i welcome death's peaceful and numbing embrace.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

seriously tho being dead is gonna be rad

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Zizek is the most confusing human being I've ever seen and I don't entirely believe he's not a troll. Nothing he says makes a lot of real sense that I've ever seen, and if there is some real sense it's hidden under a word salad that could feed all of Ethiopia.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Pvt.Scott posted:

Nah, dude on the right is just thetan free.

Gotta go get my levels checked at the dianetics institute downtown! :irony:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Things matter in so far as they matter to you.

actually, they dont

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end

It doesn't even matter..

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

it's another day, friends

unfortunately

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

it's another day, friends

unfortunately

i don't think you "get" nihilism

it doesn't matter that there's another day, it's not fortunate or unfortunate

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i don't think matters

fortunately

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

actually, they dont

I guess I just advanced to hedonism without realizing it

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Faffel posted:

Zizek is the most confusing human being I've ever seen and I don't entirely believe he's not a troll. Nothing he says makes a lot of real sense that I've ever seen, and if there is some real sense it's hidden under a word salad that could feed all of Ethiopia.

He does def troll but he makes sense. You just have to first read a bunch of ridiculously boring poo poo to really get what he is putting down because he constantly references other books/movies/whatever from 10 different cultures in 10 different languages which is where that word salad comes in.

Then you have to deal with his accent and tics and yeah it's pretty not accessible.

I do like when he makes fun of libs/progressives for 'saving the environment' by buying organic products and recycling and thus absolving themselves of responsibility as they continue to be unabashed consumerists.

not that it matters anyway lol

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
If you have a grasp of Marxism and then acclimate to perverts guide to ideology he's not too hard to follow

Oh and Hegel I guess

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

yeah zizek just takes some time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

so always post in this thread only? ok

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

yes

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

TheShazbot posted:

so always post in this thread only? ok

you know or not whatever

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
didn't read any other part of this but what's it called when you think nothing matters but you just act as though some things matter to you and fake the rest of it because that's what i do!

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

dog kisser posted:

didn't read any other part of this but what's it called when you think nothing matters but you just act as though some things matter to you and fake the rest of it because that's what i do!

The philosophy is called nihilism but the health disorder is called depression. Serotonin is poo poo just pump that dopamine baby

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Boomstick Quaid posted:

The philosophy is called nihilism but the health disorder is called depression. Serotonin is poo poo just pump that dopamine baby

dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are extremely my poo poo

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I like the bridge video at least.

https://youtu.be/bwDrHqNZ9lo

A good joke.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Best Giraffe posted:

dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are extremely my poo poo

I'm not a bupro man but much respect. Your stuff can wean people off cigarettes, my stuff can wean people of cocaine

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

so then i guess i'm a nihilist who isn't depressed

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

People have a big issue grappling with the idea that you can be nihilistic and depressed without the nihilism being a source of negativity or even really feeding into depression, but most people are too caught up in masturbating their own ideology and ideals to see past their nose.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Faffel posted:

People have a big issue grappling with the idea that you can be nihilistic and depressed without the nihilism being a source of negativity or even really feeding into depression, but most people are too caught up in masturbating their own ideology and ideals to see past their nose.

That's why people who spend all their time talking about how pointless life is are so perplexing. Like an "asexual" who spends all their time talking about sex.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

phasmid posted:

That's why people who spend all their time talking about how pointless life is are so perplexing. Like an "asexual" who spends all their time talking about sex.

Well it's not every other balanced nihilist's fault that there a bunch of insufferable shitbags out there. You could say that about literally any group of people with an opinion or world view. People who are nihilistic aren't immune from masturbating their own ideology.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
My boss was like "You better have that project completed by Friday" and I asked why it was needed by Friday. "Because, that's the end of the week. You've had 2 weeks to work on this, is it not done yet?" and I was just like "So just arbitrarily Friday, then?"

If time wasn't a social construct, it still wouldn't matter if I actually got my reports in on Friday because nothing matters.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

your boss should probably fire you

and you probably shouldn't care

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Again, it's irritating when people call themselves nihilists and reference Nietzsche after reading a few out-of-context quotes. If you're going to subscribe to a philosophy, at least bother reading one or two of the founding works on it. Context is what gives nihilism value, it's not just "nothing matters, life sucks".

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"nothing matters, life and gettin you d sucked is awesome"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

"nothing matters, life and gettin you d sucked is awesome"

This one sounds like hedonism

• Locked thread