Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Applewhite posted:

Actually Invincible is the best Superman story and also the best comic series currently running.

this right here?

this is some wrong poo poo

Lurdiak posted:

Alan Moore really isn't that insane, just grumpy.

This is also wrong. He is properly out of his tree. Like, he dug a magic cave under his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw spoiler tags still load the image, so everyone reading from work got the full Crossed expirence in their browser history

also untagged Druuna lmfao

anyway im a huge Warren Ellis fan, Planetary is the best comic imo

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

INVINCIBLE:

Next issue:

Dude with moustache hitting things and intestines flying around everywhere

again

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

thoughts and prayers posted:

INVINCIBLE:

Next issue:

again

Also the lead character gets raped and the writer congratulates themselves for talking about the subject, where as in reality he just does what other comic books have done which is be lovely about some heinous stuff and uses it to raise interest in his increasingly delayed, increasingly lovely and insular comic.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

INVINCIBLE:

Next issue:

again

That's rad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The reason why Americans don't appreciate printed cartoons is that in American parlance "adult" means boobs and violence even though boobs and violence, especially in this format, are most appealing to, and, particularly in American popular culture, mostly used to appeal to, children of both the literal and non-literal varieties. So you get something nominally marketed for adults and it's all "HORSE COCK HORSE COCK ZOMBIES HERE'S AN AREOLA!!!"

I used as many commas as I could so sue me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whereas in civilized cultures people of all ages celebrate seminal works like Kalervo Palsa's Eläkeläinen muistelee.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Millions of Crows posted:

Remember writers like Moore and Ennis are from Europe. Nudity and sex don't shock there like in the US. There was no Comics Code Authority forcing the whole medium to be only for children.
I'm thinking so many of you that are offended or cry "edgelord" grew up with nothing but Marvel and DC under the CCA and so have very limited tastes.

You want a comic that is shocking for the sake of being shocking, check out Boiled Angel. https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/boiled-angel
It looks like the kind of "underground" stuff you could find anywhere, but was scary enough to floridians to get the artist arrested.

No.

Horror done right is more acute when it relies on suggestion than when it depends on disgust. Moore knows this.

Helical Nightmares posted:

As a Lovecraft fan I have to state Neonomicon is nothing but being gross and edgy to be gross and edgy. Horror done well requires suggestion and pacing. The author knows this and is deliberately turning out trash.

In Henry James, writer of the classic horror ghost story "The Turn of the Screw", own words:

quote:

In the Notebooks an in the Preface to Volume IX there are extensive reerences to Jame's intension in writing "The Turn of the Screw." He wanted to write a ghost story with real ghosts in it, and still make the story believable. He deliberately refrained from specifying the evil influences which the two ghosts exercise over Flora and little Miles. "Make the reader think the evil, make him think it for himself." These and other controls are built into the story. The critic who ignores them and rewrites "The Turn of the Screw" to suit his fancy should be aware of what he is doing.

Above by Willard Thorp, Princeton University.

Steven King echoes the same sentiment in Dance Macabre.

If I recall correctly so does HP Lovecraft in either his letters or Supernatural Horror in Literature. I don't have my copy on hand atm so I'm not quoting from it.

Moore is a scholar and knows all of the above. He deliberately chose to go graphic and sexual in Neonomicon instead of using suggestion.

Also go gently caress yourself with your limited tastes.

Dear reader, it's this narrow mindedness which is why I don't go to comic conventions or read comics that often.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 30, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sion posted:

Also the lead character gets raped and the writer congratulates themselves for talking about the subject, where as in reality he just does what other comic books have done which is be lovely about some heinous stuff and uses it to raise interest in his increasingly delayed, increasingly lovely and insular comic.

I hope Anissa gets pregnant by Mark, I really want the Viltrumite line to continue.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Of course, knowing Kirkman she'll probably lose the baby :(

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

No.

Horror done right is more acute when it relies on suggestion than when it depends on disgust. Moore knows this.

In Henry James, writer of the classic horror ghost story "The Turn of the Screw", own words:

Above by Willard Thorp, Princeton University.

Steven King echoes the same sentiment in Dance Macabre.

If I recall correctly so does HP Lovecraft in either his letters or Supernatural Horror in Literature. I don't have my copy on hand atm so I'm not quoting from it.

Moore is a scholar and knows all of the above. He deliberately chose to go graphic and sexual in Neonomicon instead of using suggestion.

Also go gently caress yourself with your limited tastes.

Dear reader, it's this narrow mindedness which is why I don't go to comic conventions or read comics that often.

he chose it and it was real bad. it's a real bad, dumb, comic

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Of course, knowing Kirkman she'll probably lose the baby :(

lolling at applewhite trying to light-derail the thread with superhero dumb crap chat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Troposphere posted:

he chose it and it was real bad. it's a real bad, dumb, comic

Yes he already said it was by Moore.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

lolling at applewhite trying to light-derail the thread with superhero dumb crap chat.

How is talking about comics derailing a thread about comics?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applewhite posted:

By the way did everyone read the new Fingerpori it was pretty :lol:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Applewhite is a good poster.

I opined the following about comics recently so maybe someone will enjoy this.

Since the discussion of crazy maps a bit back I went exploring comics briefly. Found a couple things.

Monstress by Image comics

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/monstress-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstress_(comic_book)

Yeah yeah whatever. What Monstress does right is creating a sense of cosmic horror in an epic fantasy world. I haven't seen a good example of this outside a meager few Conan stories until now.

Also if you ever wanted to know how to handle new WW2 esque new warfare in a fantasy world; Monstress, Eberron, and Perdido Street Station are the only examples I can think of.

Art is great. Setting is super adult. World is brimming with details. Check it out.

---------

Another find that has restored (temporarily) my interest in comics is Kill Six Billion Demons.

I'm betting most of you already know this. But for you gents late to the party like myself, sincerely this was worth reading. It is a mystical world-building fever dream at it's finest. William S. Burroughs would nod approvingly then ask for whatever the writer is smoking.

Public transit blows no matter what dimension you are in.

When angels go bad (?) they get awesome. You can hear the guitar riff coming off of this image.

Along with jaw dropping visuals and kaleidoscopic creativity is a serious and deep re inventing of Indian and Asian religious myths.

Best thing I've read all weekend.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Applewhite is a good poster.

I opined the following about comics recently so maybe someone will enjoy this.

This is some good poo poo right here. Gonna check out all these comics.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

You know what I mean, hombre. Let's keep it high brow to ward off the unwashed masses.

As the motivational poster I saw once on 9gag (or was it 4chan?) says:

Great minds discuss sequential art.
Average minds discuss authors
Small minds discuss plots.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

You know what I mean, hombre. Let's keep it high brow to ward off the unwashed masses.

As the motivational poster I saw once on 9gag (or was it 4chan?) says:

Great minds discuss sequential art.
Average minds discuss authors
Small minds discuss plots.

You overestimate me.
I'd love to gossip about some comic plots.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Another quality comic. In progress. Every panel is bursting with details and nuance of the world or it's characters.

Where the Heart Is by Arthur Asa.

http://www.wthi.one/comic/dusk/

----

Also SA's very own Outlaws of Thoon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769422

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 30, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I love comics because they're cheap to make. There is no barrier to entry, take an empty page and scribble over it, you have a comic. there are kickass comics literally done in crayons or scribbles

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading a comic book that I buy off of Amazon in collections. It's called Jojo s Bizarre Adventure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jerkcity is the only good comic and redeems the medium as capable of high art

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I'm sorry to interrupt but surely you mean Achewood? Which is the funniest unfunny webcomic in my humble opinion.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
This thread is probably filled with comic book readers by now

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I remember the infinite crisis stuff and it started off like it might be interesting with a fairly minor villain turning out to be more dangerous than people think, thanks to a conspiracy to basically lobotomize him.

Then it turned out all the events were caused by an alternate reality superboy punching the main reality repeatedly or something retarded like that.

As far as super heroes go All Star Superman is cool, Plastic Man is the best comic nobody ever read and the end of Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man was OK.

Virtually everything else is trash.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Actually the worst comic is The Unfunnies

etc.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Sorry you never read Sleeper OP.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

Sorry about how wrong you are because Invincible is not only good, but the best.

lol no

invincible is dog poo poo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ArtIsResistance posted:

This thread is probably filled with comic book readers by now

was this Putty's plan all along!?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Teikanmi posted:

lol no

invincible is dog poo poo

Sorry I can't hear you over how much fun I'm having reading about people getting their spines punched out by evil Wilford Brimley.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Blind Sally posted:

was this Putty's plan all along!?

I think the guy who posts on the forums all day knows what threads devolve into by page 3

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Applewhite posted:

Sorry I can't hear you over how much fun I'm having reading about people getting their spines punched out by evil Wilford Brimley.

It was fun the first half dozen times, but it became a snooze later

It's the same old men in tights bullshit with new window dressing

These stories became obsolete after Miracleman #15

Booooring

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

It was fun the first half dozen times, but it became a snooze later

It's the same old men in tights bullshit with new window dressing

These stories became obsolete after Miracleman #15

Booooring

The time travel arc was a cool twist on an old theme, IMO.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'm not into comics or reading for that matter, but when Garfield Minus Garfield came out I was in tears laughing. The novelty has worn off, but I can still look back at it and appreciate it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal engages the emotional capacity of mankind in a way normally reserved for multi-season cable tv epics

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm not into comics or reading for that matter, but when Garfield Minus Garfield came out I was in tears laughing. The novelty has worn off, but I can still look back at it and appreciate it.

this gives me an idea brb

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wonder woman is bisexual "now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Seconding the recommendation for Afterlife with Archie. It's amazing.

Some other good comics are Hellboy and Axe Cop.

• Locked thread