Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All cops are communists (because they support their union)

loving hypocrites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

All cops are communists (because they support their union)

loving hypocrites.

Every union should be as good as the police union.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Vlonald Prump posted:

Isn't this the one where cops got out of the car and just blasted away without even a "freeze"?

You excerpted that, yet ignored the explanation. Why did you do that?

Vlonald Prump posted:

What eyewitness, you mean other than the guy who shot him in the middle of the deserted suburban road? That wasn't a police shooting either, it was a civilian, the police just let him go without confirming his version of events.

It's been confirmed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunshot-wound-expert-evidence-supports-zimmermans-account-fatal-encounter-v19375277
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/09/nation/la-na-nn-george-zimmerman-trial-20130709

Vlonald Prump posted:

You;re also leaving aside cases like Baltimore where a guy gets into a van and mysteriously gets his spine broken later... or Wlater Scott, who was ever so threateningly running away:
https://vimeo.com/124336782

Huh, why was he running?

Vlonald Prump posted:

There may have, at some point, been a culture of accountability in the police force, but it's long gone. Like I totally get that they have a difficult and dangerous job, but I work in healthcare, if I gently caress up and kill someone, I can lose my license. Cops, with rare exceptions, just get cycled on paid leave and back in the action without a bump in the road after killing an innocent person. Sorry, if you gently caress up egregiously and kill someone it ought to be a career ender.

Based on what evidence? Police officers get terminated for real offenses, but there shouldn't be a culture of firing cops over questionable cases wherein the perp disobeyed orders or threatened the cop.
If you would like to provide me with the evidence where a perp does everything right, yet still gets killed, I'd love to see it and I would be a proud BLM supporter right then and there. But, so far, besides the "broken spine" case which I know nothing about, I have no reason to suggest that there is a preponderance of cases wherein police are running around shooting black people at the drop of a hat. White people, too, who comprise 50% of police killings, tend to either be threatening, disobey cop orders or gently caress up in a really tragic way.

There are specific cases where this is a problem it is not a cultural thing.

And what's the alternative? No one wants to be a fuckin cop, so the onus to protect the presence of a police force at all is literally with cops.

Typically, egregious fuckups in healthcare come with laziness and apathy. Am I wrong in this? gently caress ups in police-work, however, tend to come off of very tense situations where there doesn't seem to be an alternative. There is a predisposition in criminals to kill cops. There is not a predisposition in patients to gently caress up surgeries.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Zeroisanumber posted:

This isn't a resolution, it's a description. And they all but admit that actually going after them is pointless because membership is fluid and they lack centralized leadership.

For the most part, yes.

I would nerve gas ISIS if I had the means and opportunity, but I don't think that they're particularly dangerous to the average American jerk.

Stop locking your door at night, then.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

unpleasantly turgid posted:

I also like to compare the 70s to a time 50 years later.

I love mysteries dude! When the heck are you going to tell me what you're talking about?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I love mysteries dude! When the heck are you going to tell me what you're talking about?

2017 - 1970 = 47, which is 3 years short of 50.

racial tensions and police praxis has changed drastically.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

2017 - 1970 = 47, which is 3 years short of 50.

racial tensions and police praxis has changed drastically.

But who brought up 1970?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

But who was 1970?

my mistake, rodney was killed in 1991. But now there's a new mystery: what did I mix that up with?

anyway, main mystery solved.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

anyway, who wants to see my bottle-cap collection?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

my mistake, rodney was killed in 1991. But now there's a new mystery: what did I mix that up with?

anyway, main mystery solved.

It can't be the most famous King, he died in 1968! Maybe we're all kings in our own minds.

Did a D&D poster find your youtube channel?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

It can't be the most famous King, he died in 1968! Maybe we're all kings in our own minds.

Did a D&D poster find your youtube channel?

Only a cruel world would deny anyone from the throne they deserve.

I don't like dandy.

Being a career D&D poster would compound my autism in meltdown-creating ways.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neither of these links make any mention of an eye witness and trying to pass off a ballistics expert as one is pretty disingenuous as the articles also mention that the other guys had their own expert whose findings conflicted with the guy being touted in the article.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Only a cruel world would deny anyone from the throne they deserve.

I don't like dandy.

Being a career D&D poster would compound my autism in meltdown-creating ways.

Me too ! I hate Dendy

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The Dendys have been useless throughout history!

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

That's russian, but is ukrainian

ruddiger posted:

Neither of these links make any mention of an eye witness and trying to pass off a ballistics expert as one is pretty disingenuous as the articles also mention that the other guys had their own expert whose findings conflicted with the guy being touted in the article.

I didn't provide evidence of the eye-witness testimony due to fallibility, so it isn't as important. both articles describe the testimony of a forensic expert. Argue his credentials or something. Tell me why he is absolutely wrong. An animation which was constructed by an imperfect system does not deny a professional's testimony, it is a conjecture provided by a system which isn't exactly a pro in forensics.

Ballistic analysis provided by de vaio aligns with Zimmerman's testimony.

alternatively, tell me why the judge of that case (debra nelson) would be biased against the prosecution.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't provide evidence of the eye-witness testimony due to fallibility, so it isn't as important. both articles describe the testimony of a forensic expert. Argue his credentials or something. Tell me why he is absolutely wrong.

Pretty weak back pedal, and like I said, the other guys had their own expert, it's mentioned in the article YOU POSTED. You want to read what conclusion they came to, read the link you posted instead of just posting blind links and saying case closed when the article clearly doesn't prove your original statement or follow up excuse.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

You excerpted that, yet ignored the explanation. Why did you do that?

E: NVM, misremembered a fact from the case

Yes, after a trial. The cops released him from custody the night of the shooting and had no intention of mounting a futher investigation until people made a stink about it

quote:

Huh, why was he running?
Probably because he didn't want to be arrested. Resiting arrest didn;t carry the death penalty last I checked though; then the cop planted his taser on the body to cover his fuckup. This is one case where the cop actually got fired. But I wonder how many of these cases there are we don't hear about because they didn't get videoed?

In IL the cops tried to lobby to get recording video without consent a crime, so they couldn't be videoed. If they aren't doing anything wrong, what do they have to hide? That's how it works for us regular citizens.

quote:

Based on what evidence? Police officers get terminated for real offenses, but there shouldn't be a culture of firing cops over questionable cases wherein the perp disobeyed orders or threatened the cop.
If you would like to provide me with the evidence where a perp does everything right, yet still gets killed, I'd love to see it and I would be a proud BLM supporter right then and there.

And in any stressful situation, it is inevitable people will make mistakes. This includes people stopped by cops. Cops are the professionals and should be held to a higher standard than an ordinary citizen. I think a big part of the problem is there's no set standard for becoming a cop, it's all local. In some places they require 1-2 years of training, in others just a couple hundred hours; there ought to be a national standard to ensure they get properly trained in de-escalating things.

quote:

And what's the alternative? No one wants to be a fuckin cop, so the onus to protect the presence of a police force at all is literally with cops.

This is why big city cops make six figures, plus union benefits dude. In Chicago there is a lottery for applicants to get recruited

quote:

Typically, egregious fuckups in healthcare come with laziness and apathy. Am I wrong in this? gently caress ups in police-work, however, tend to come off of very tense situations where there doesn't seem to be an alternative. There is a predisposition in criminals to kill cops. There is not a predisposition in patients to gently caress up surgeries.

Surgeries are pretty tense. But you go through 8 years of school and 5+ years of residency to do them. Meanwhile police departments are allowed to filter out candidates for having too high an IQ

Vlonald Prump fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Pretty weak back pedal, and like I said, the other guys had their own expert, it's mentioned in the article YOU POSTED. You want to read what conclusion they came to, read the link you posted instead of just posting blind links and saying case closed when the article clearly doesn't prove your original statement or follow up excuse.

Wait, I've re-read the article a few times. I'm tired and a bit high, but would you be so kind to point me to the other expert? You aren't referring to SChumaker, are you?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Again, the expert or your ability to read are not the point, the point is your dishonesty in regards to your original statement about eye witnesses, then trying to conflate the point by shifting it to whatever it is you're doing now.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Vlonald Prump posted:

Because I remember that he had the gun in his waistband when I originally heard about it. He was by himself when the cops showed up.

Watch this:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2014/nov/26/cleveland-video-tamir-rice-shooting-police

My argument is that police were called to the scene by community-members who described the individual as threatening and with a gun. Again, this has happened before. Also, and don't quote me on this, but I am very suspicious of the missing frames between [police are on scene, yet not out of car] and [police shoot Rice]. It seems like he was reaching for his waist-band. This may have not been the case. Regardless, police arrived on-scene with the assumption that there was a miscreant with what seemed like a loaded fire-arm. I can understand that, if he was pointing it at random-passerbys, there is sufficient reason to assume he would fire that law-enforcement coming to stop him.

I will admit that this is a gray area. Police over-reacted given reality, but they acted with all information available.

Vlonald Prump posted:

Yes, after a trial. The cops released him from custody the night of the shooting and had no intention of mounting a futher investigation until people made a stink about it
The problem, then, is blind trust of police (trust regardless of evidence), not accountability, which suggests that all evidence is legitimate, but that the officer still must be punished. Zimmerman was not in the wrong once real evidence surfaced, but the jury which decided that did so in poor faith. This is not BLM's premise. BLM suggests that officers are on a killing-spree in black communities, this isn't true. Are juries potentially granting too much trust to police. Possible. Very possible, also very precedented.

Vlonald Prump posted:

Probably because he didn't want to be arrested. Resiting arrest didn;t carry the death penalty last I checked though; then the cop planted his taser on the body to cover his fuckup. This is one case where the cop actually got fired. But I wonder how many of these cases there are we don't hear about because they didn't get videoed?
Don't flee from police.

This officer got fired for real misconduct, ie modifying the crime scene. That's not only a reason to fire someone, but obstruction of justice which is a felony based on circumstances (murder).

Vlonald Prump posted:

In IL the cops tried to lobby to get recording video without consent a crime, so they couldn't be videoed. If they aren't doing anything wrong, what do they have to hide? That's how it works for us regular citizens.
Where else was this happening? And, yeah, this is scummy, but it was rejected and now body-cams and dash-cams are in place.

Vlonald Prump posted:

And in any stressful situation, it is inevitable people will make mistakes. This includes people stopped by cops. Cops are the professionals and should be held to a higher standard than an ordinary citizen. I think a big part of the problem is there's no set standard for becoming a cop, it's all local. In some places they require 1-2 years of training, in others just a couple hundred hours; there ought to be a national standard to ensure they get properly trained in de-escalating things.
I absolutely 101% agree. They receive little training, and this is due to a dearth of funding, especially for urban precincts. Chicago, IL is a great example of this.

Vlonald Prump posted:

Surgeries are pretty tense. But you go through 8 years of school and 5+ years of residency to do them. Meanwhile police departments are allowed to filter out candidates for having too high an IQ
I haven't heard of this. Sounds weird, why are they doing it?

Also, this just demonstrates why being an officer is such a lovely gig. They don't get attention, they get very little oversight and they get, in some places, dog-poo poo training that amounts to "we can't give you a taser without proper training, so here's a gun which you can acquire much easier."

Again, this is not a byproduct of accountability, but blind trust in existent, insufficient systems that manifests itself on both the judicial and executive level.

The conclusion, then, is not "gently caress the police" but "fund the police".

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 15, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Again, the expert or your ability to read are not the point, the point is your dishonesty in regards to your original statement about eye witnesses, then trying to conflate the point by shifting it to whatever it is you're doing now.

Lol, alright. You couldn't find your expert, then? Unfortunate.

And about the eye-witnesses, supposedly witnesses came forward which testified to Zimmerman's defense, but they weren't consistent so they were thrown out. Stop being such a bitch about meaningless rhetorical details. Also, I don't know how I've shifted my point. Go ahead and point me to that, and I'll tell you why "not pursuing a specific argument to pursue a more salient one makes more sense academically."

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You're bitch made for real if you can't accept the fact that you still haven't proved any evidence whatsoever about eye witnesses and your inability to read is not my loving problem, it's yours.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

You're bitch made for real if you can't accept the fact that you still haven't proved any evidence whatsoever about eye witnesses and your inability to read is not my loving problem, it's yours.

objective evidence in the form of ballistics analysis means I don't need a fallible testimony, you absolute loving retard. If you weren't mentally handicapped, I might be able to take you seriously and grant you (for fun) that I dropped a point and didn't care to pick it back up, but your insistence that this somehow invalidates anything else is beyond autistic, and I AM THE ONE WHO WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ASPERGERS.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eye witnesses. How do they work?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Eye witnesses. How do they work?

They don't, neither do your attempts to argue :(

I can probably link you to a page that will help you? understand how to read and argue, that is.

It's cute that you try to be politically-engaged, but the results... eugh.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You're the one who "confirmed" your point about eye witnesses with empty links that you didn't bother reading, stop talking in circles, you're blowing your high by staring at your phone, goon bro.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

You're the one who "confirmed" your thesis with empty links that you didn't bother reading, stop talking in circles, you're blowing your high by staring at your phone, goon bro.

Hahah, sure.

Anyway, here's that link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/567610.How_to_Read_a_Book

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, who gets high then spends the entire time talking circle politics? drat you guys are sad.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

What? People like you exist on the forums now? Fox News is like...not even hiding the fact it's right wing white people propaganda news. I haven't serious posted since like 2 years before the election but if you're not an ironic troll holy poo poo, SA has slid in the hardcore Retard Zone™.

Regardless, I have a hypothesis that social media is the culprit in allowing anybody to be a shithead without consequences. The human being we elected being the prime example. But also mentioned before, the 'hotep' thing seems to be feeding off the increase in open racism and and proliferated all over now. Instagram consistently contains pages saying that black Africans were actually the original native Americans and that they invented everything. I've also noticed a running narrative that white people are actually not humans because....get this....hu-man actually means "hue-man" as in like the word regarding color. So only black people are humans. That poo poo is so astonishingly ridiculous and I thought it was some sort of trolling at first, but then I realized that a fuckload of people are actually not kidding and totally serious.

So I guess that's a thing. But if that narrative is true than that means the advanced African civilization was conquered by the inferior cave dwelling europeans?

Um also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHLH5OB0GQ

Lmao look at this hysterical DnD garbage

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Also, who gets high then spends the entire time talking circle politics? drat you guys are sad.

People who can handle politics, I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For anyone keeping count, this link also has no mentions of eye witnesses to the shooting. Try again buddy.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

My argument is that police were called to the scene by community-members who described the individual as threatening and with a gun. Again, this has happened before. Also, and don't quote me on this, but I am very suspicious of the missing frames between [police are on scene, yet not out of car] and [police shoot Rice]. It seems like he was reaching for his waist-band. This may have not been the case. Regardless, police arrived on-scene with the assumption that there was a miscreant with what seemed like a loaded fire-arm. I can understand that, if he was pointing it at random-passerbys, there is sufficient reason to assume he would fire that law-enforcement coming to stop him.

I actually misremembered this one, he was found to be reaching for his waistband from enhanced footage. But the cops didn't say anything to him and is a 12-year-old kid going to know exactly what to do in this type of situation?

quote:

The problem, then, is blind trust of police (trust regardless of evidence), not accountability, which suggests that all evidence is legitimate, but that the officer still must be punished. Zimmerman was not in the wrong once real evidence surfaced, but the jury which decided that did so in poor faith. This is not BLM's premise. BLM suggests that officers are on a killing-spree in black communities, this isn't true. Are juries potentially granting too much trust to police. Possible. Very possible, also very precedented.

IIRC BLM originally started as a protest against the Stand Your Ground laws that let Zimmerman get away without a manslaughter conviction.

quote:

I haven't heard of this. Sounds weird, why are they doing it?

The idea is that people who are too intelligent will get bored on a stakeout, supposedly. There was a discrimination case about this a few years back where it was ruled that police department are allowed to use IQ as a filter

quote:

Also, this just demonstrates why being an officer is such a lovely gig. They don't get attention, they get very little oversight

I'd say "lack of oversight" is something police officers don't complain about.

Chicago PD has been operating what is basically a "black site" for years now:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

quote:

According to an analysis of data disclosed to the Guardian in late September, police allowed lawyers access to Homan Square for only 0.94% of the 7,185 arrests logged over nearly 11 years. That percentage aligns with Chicago police’s broader practice of providing minimal access to attorneys during the crucial early interrogation stage, when an arrestee’s constitutional rights against self-incrimination are most vulnerable.

Why we haven't had a riot over this mystifies me as much as I'm glad we haven't. This kind of poo poo is what get BLM folks going just as much as police killings, it's just BLM gets its name in the news most effectively when we get our regularly scheduled shooting of the month

As far as people who "did things right" and got shot, well, Laquan MacDonald didn't exactly do things right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Laquan_McDonald
But walking away from police holding a knife doesn't deserve the death penalty either.

quote:

The conclusion, then, is not "gently caress the police" but "fund the police".

Well, I agree with that in general, but there are absolutely some lovely cops out there who deserve to be hosed good and hard

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

ruddiger posted:

For anyone keeping count, this link also has no mentions of eye witnesses to the shooting. Try again buddy.

gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Every union should be as good as the police union.
every worker deserves a union except for cops, who deserve to have as little labor protections as possible

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I honestly do not believe in the race war anymore. I think it's simple class warfare with a "hot potato" of the opiate of the masses. Subjugate the lowest class possible, differentiate and ever-so-slightly empower those who are in a class barely above them, and reap the fruits of their labor and ignorance to the fact that the upper class is prospering over the divide.

A good place to start it Bacon's rebellion in 1676 during the early formation of America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon%27s_Rebellion

There are quite a few articles on Bacon's rebellion, and how white and black indentured servants united to rebel against the oppressors. In the end, black rebels were relegated to the lowest tier of society and white rebels were empowered with a slightly better lot in life regarding their lives and prosperity. In return for the white rebels' anger and control of the black lower class, they kept their status as mortal pawns in an infinite chess game where you absolutely can never win.

We keep folding over lower class wars and have now included the middle class. Give the opiate of the masses to the weak, the old, and the sick in the form of medicaid, medicare, social security, and food stamps. Don't give anything to the middle class, and watch as they are angered and vote against their own interests to keep those "poors" in their place. Yet the middle class keeps paying for it in the form of taxation.

Turn off CNN and Fox News and read a history book. Pay attention to what is happening in your local community and have compassion for others. Racism only exists because we don't pay attention to what is within our realm of influence - what is right in front of us.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Racism is over, pack it up

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why isnt this thread in the reat race space?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Ups_rail posted:

why isnt this thread in the reat race space?

So the thread isn't immediately filled with autistic screeching from people pretending not to be white

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Bismuth posted:

So the thread isn't immediately filled with autistic screeching from people pretending not to be white

but theres no maga men here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
The funniest thing about the RACE WAR 2017 is that a bunch of retards on both sides actually agree with each other that segregation is good and miscegenation is bad.

• Locked thread