Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, these guys are heavily-armed enough to ventilate you in seconds. That's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Glazius posted:

Man, these guys are heavily-armed enough to ventilate you in seconds. That's terrifying.
The whole sequence where you are going back out of the facility is the most frustrating thing unless you save scum. Even with good armor you can get dropped in a fifth of a second because the AI is great at headshotting you.

Only thing similar is later on inside the CNPP, but i feel like that is a smaller area.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Only thing similar is later on inside the CNPP, but i feel like that is a smaller area.

Except when you overwrite you only save slot fraction of a second before a bunch of monolith guys start pouring out of the walls while you are totally out ofcover.

Then it feels like an eternity.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One way Clear Sky is superior is the lack of close-quarters fights against multiple heavily armored and armed enemies with no cover.

Also, apparently reloading a save lets every enemy in the vicinity know where you are, so whenever you die, you restart with a heavy disadvantage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Except when you overwrite you only save slot fraction of a second before a bunch of monolith guys start pouring out of the walls while you are totally out ofcover.

Then it feels like an eternity.
Oh yes, that can happen. Or you have to roll back a bit because you end up getting executed from behind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

One way Clear Sky is superior is the lack of close-quarters fights against multiple heavily armored and armed enemies with no cover.

The village battle in CS was probably the best shooter section in the whole franchise.

Xander77 posted:

Also, apparently reloading a save lets every enemy in the vicinity know where you are, so whenever you die, you restart with a heavy disadvantage.

That explains a whole loving lot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

steinrokkan posted:

The village battle in CS was probably the best shooter section in the whole franchise.
Not sure what you mean by that, exactly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Not sure what you mean by that, exactly.

It's called Limansk, I think? The bit right before the ending where you push through an occupied town (not really a village as I mentioned) along with a CS unit.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Not gonna lie, I kind of screamed a little when I saw the AK back after he picked up the G36. I was like "NOOOO! WHY!" I scared my roommate. it was hilarious.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Warning: this part contains information I actually looked up for accuracy.
And senseless violence.

E: crthemighty turned a favorite moment into a gif:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 29, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Every weapon (except for the rocket launcher, and shotguns, which have buckshot for mutants and two flavors of nerf balls for humans) has regular and AP rounds.

Now I can post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHBw9luUb8

Without spoiling anything.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
iirc STALKER SoC actually does have a soundtrack, but hell if I can remember how to get to it in the game proper.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that you're never going to find a VSS Vintorez a.k.a. the best gun in the game. :saddowns:

The Pripyat map in SoC is pretty interesting to explore; it's surprisingly extensive. It's a shame the game doesn't really require you to do it, or strongly reward you for doing so. (Though I suppose there are some good stashes to get, if you're lucky enough to find the info on them.) Some side-missions there would have been nice. I guess they were a bit rushed when it came to this part.

Probably obvious, but Thorn added those subtitles in post, so by default in that part with the Wish Granter talking to you, you'll have no idea what it's saying if you don't speak the language. Kind of an odd thing to not translate for the English localisation. In one of the mods I used to use (can't remember which one - maybe Oblivion Lost), they replaced those lines with a looping set of sound samples from what sounded like an English movie about the Chernobyl disaster. That was kind of an odd choice too.

I think this is actually the first time since 2007 that I've seen the Wish Granter/Monolith room... and I've only seen a couple of those bad endings before too, I think; the "I want to be immortal" and "I want to be rich" endings.

Re: the third-person camera, I think that's yet another cut content thing. From memory it's only available with mods.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Despite getting everything I needed to get the real endings for the longest time I never found the way to actually get the them so for the longest time I was that guy who was kind of annoyed at the ending to Stalker. Until I finally remembered to go on the internet for some more info.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Thank you SO MUCH for subbing in the Wish Granter's voiceover. I've been dying to know what it was saying since I played.

... Kind of disappointed, to be honest.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So the control ending, the way I see it, Strelok is given everything that humanity has done that he/wish granted deemed corrupt and more or less put into a void. He is in control, with all this knowledge, in his mind for all he knows he has done it while the world continues on without him.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
"Mankind must be controlled" followed by explosions, nukes and destruction, followed by a complete void seems to suggest there is no mankind anymore. Nothing left to control. Done.

Also if you never walked around without a gun in 3rd person, you've been missing out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9riuanrBs

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wugga posted:

"Mankind must be controlled" followed by explosions, nukes and destruction, followed by a complete void seems to suggest there is no mankind anymore. Nothing left to control. Done.

Also if you never walked around without a gun in 3rd person, you've been missing out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9riuanrBs

Mankind must be controlled

PEST CONTROLLED :unsmigghh:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Wugga posted:

marked one is extremely anime.

"I wish... you would be my waifu, wish-granter-chan."

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X793UjC1WFI

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 1, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
STALKER: A better Sonic game than Sonic 06 :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know it doesn't really pertain to this thread but Thorn do you know if Yoshi is going to upload his God of War stream anywhere? I looked on his Twitch and couldn't find it at all.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What gets me is that if nobody else is around, why does the wish granter care about granting the wish in a really spiteful way? Surely it could just explode the heads of everyone asking it for stuff instead of doing needlessly elaborate poo poo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Crazy Achmed posted:

What gets me is that if nobody else is around, why does the wish granter care about granting the wish in a really spiteful way? Surely it could just explode the heads of everyone asking it for stuff instead of doing needlessly elaborate poo poo.
Maybe that's not as much fun? Look, genies are weird, man.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crazy Achmed posted:

Then it wouldn't be a wish granter, would it? No one is going to trek across the zone looking for the fabled Head Exploder

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Crane Fist posted:

Then it wouldn't be a wish granter, would it? No one is going to trek across the zone looking for the fabled Head Exploder
Strelok went to visit the Brain Scorcher, didn't he?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Wugga posted:

In the original ukranian voiceover/script, Strelok does say "humanity must be destroyed" instead of "controlled".

In the process Strelok seems to forget he's also part of humanity. Everyone in the world was plunged into the dark void, maybe.

I dunno, it seems like if the wish granter actually had the power to do some of these things, that poo poo in the zone/around the world would've ended a while ago.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Commander Keene posted:

Strelok went to visit the Brain Scorcher, didn't he?

Well yeah but that made sense, him going "okay I'm going to find my way past the machine that kills you horribly because on the other side is a machine that grants wishes" as opposed to him going "okay I'm going to find my way past the machine that kills you horribly because on the other side is a machine that also kills you horribly, but in a more interesting way"

Actually now that I think about it is there anything more Ukrainian in spirit than going on a terrible dangerous quest where the prize is you get to die in a completely unique way

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bluhman posted:

In the original ukranian voiceover/script, Strelok does say "humanity must be destroyed" instead of "controlled".

In the process Strelok seems to forget he's also part of humanity. Everyone in the world was plunged into the dark void, maybe.

I dunno, it seems like if the wish granter actually had the power to do some of these things, that poo poo in the zone/around the world would've ended a while ago.

That's maybe the only one that doesn't monkey's paw? Strelok gets to the wish granter and goes "DESTROY HUMANITY" and it's like "yeah sure thing boss"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bluhman posted:

This makes more sense to me now. The Wish Granter's pretty much going 'bro i'm just here to hold your guys beer, you've got this way better than i do, here let me show you' and then Strelok was a holocaust.

Crane Fist posted:

Everyone wants to get at the Wish Granter because no one knows that it doesn't actually grant any wishes because:
a: they get brain scorched into zombies
b: they make it to the wish granter and it kills them
c: they make it to the wish granter and it brainwashes them into joining Monolith.

There were no exceptions before Strelok.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Bluhman posted:

When the Strelok reveal happened, Doc outright said that the Wish Granter's bait. Everyone's so preoccupied with the big dumb object that they overlook what's going on behind the door right next to it. The Monolithians start and spread this myth, suddenly mass-migrate towards the center of the Zone and become hostile, makes it seem like there's something to this, gets everyone even more focused on the Wish Granter.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

This makes more sense to me now. The Wish Granter's pretty much going 'bro i'm just here to hold your guys beer, you've got this way better than i do, here let me show you' and then Strelok was a holocaust.

Everyone wants to get at the Wish Granter because no one knows that it doesn't actually grant any wishes because:
a: they get brain scorched into zombies
b: they make it to the wish granter and it kills them
c: they make it to the wish granter and it brainwashes them into joining Monolith.

There were no exceptions before Strelok.

Is Strelok the only one to ever reach it? I may be confusing the STALKER game universe with the original story or maybe one of the movies or who even knows

So wait if no one's ever managed to reach it and come back alive, how do they know there's a wish granter in there? Lucky guess?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Is Strelok the only one to ever reach it? I may be confusing the STALKER game universe with the original story or maybe one of the movies or who even knows

So wait if no one's ever managed to reach it and come back alive, how do they know there's a wish granter in there? Lucky guess?
He’s the only one to come back from the center alive.

I don’t know if it’s ever explained how others know about the Wish Granter.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I don't really see the Wish Granter as having influence over much besides the wisher and the Granter's immediate surroundings. Everything the Granter does in those endings is illusory/psychological or simply affecting physical things near it. It's really just a psionic boondoggle with limited range, good PR, and a dangerous location encouraging the myth of its importance. A big ol' booby prize in every way.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Crane Fist posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t know if it’s ever explained how others know about the Wish Granter.
Monolith - you know, the mind-controlled guys who literally named themselves after it - and other agents of the Zone, and even stalkers themselves perpetuate the myth. You could ask whether the Wish Granter was an original creation of whoever's pulling Monolith's strings, or if was a repurposed concept brought in by stalkers who had read sci-fi outside before they came in, but does that really matter? The big shiny thing is there, it's holding everyone's attention, and it doesn't actually work as advertised.

You must ignore the Wish Granter's name, and realize its true nature: a human-scale bug zapper.

In Roadside Picnic, the Wish Granter does seem to do what it's supposed to, and its location is known only to Vulture and, eventually, Red.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fish Noise posted:

In Roadside Picnic, the Wish Granter does seem to do what it's supposed to
no

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yes

Now what?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Maybe you guys read a lovely translation or something, I read it in the original Russian, that's probably why I understand it better.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

feelix posted:

Maybe you guys read a lovely translation or something, I read it in the original Russian, that's probably why I understand it better.
I read it in the original Russian. Which is my native language.

Ну че, попутал рамсы?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Xander77 posted:

I read it in the original Russian. Which is my native language.

Ну че, попутал рамсы?

Same and there is no reason to believe that the Golden Sphere grants wishes

If it did, that would mean that the ending is Red killing an innocent kid to get to the Golden Sphere, then asking for happiness for all of humanity because that was the kid's wish, and Red is a hollow shell of a human that has no wishes of his own, and then what? The Golden Sphere creates world peace and everybody in the world is happy? lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Wasn't "happiness" a mistake in translation and the original russian word (Счастье) is more along "satisfaction"?

• Locked thread