Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Grifter posted:

You can draw a pretty straight line from South Park’s 2000s era “both sides equally bad” dogma to the alt-right of today.

Maybe the alt-right is the result of identity politics and the demonization of white males by the liberal media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll raise you this. Said in a room filled with kids

Go to 5:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVMIc0D8G-Y

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

morally adept posted:

mildly funny late 90s libertarians who either failed or still fail to grasp just how bankrupt and horrible their ideology is

If you happen to like South Park and, unrelatedly, happen to vote Libertarian, are you still a South Park Republican?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

All fandoms are terrible OP

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

God Of Paradise posted:

If you happen to like South Park and, unrelatedly, happen to vote Libertarian, are you still a South Park Republican?

Any libertarian is a South Park republican, regardless of their relationship with that show.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Shnag posted:

So, that would be MLP, with the creepy questions to creators at events

ugh... :barf:

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

null posted:

ever seen kill bill my goon?

but enough about king of the hill

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Chrs Gry posted:

All fandoms are terrible, Morty

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

morally adept posted:

I don't know, the South Park Republicans of yesterday most likely became the edge lord Altrighters of today thanks to their failure to grasp irony. In retrospect I think South Park could be occasionally funny, but only when they're mocking celebrities, bits of pop culture, and other topics which are of little to no importance. If an episode involved Cartman being an evil hosed up prick, Butters being a sweet utterly naive child, or the Goths burning down hot topic it was perfectly palatable and worth a chuckle. That being said Man Bear Pig is loving stupid and easily the most cringe worthy episode. Also the episode dealing with trans people was embarrassingly reductionist and simplistic, and I'm not some kind of hardcore SJW. All in all its a mediocre show made by mildly funny late 90s libertarians who either failed or still fail to grasp just how bankrupt and horrible their ideology is. Sadly it was only able to inflict some societal damage and dumb down the collective narrative largely because Matt Stone and Trey Parker aren't completely lacking in talent.

:downswords:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

End of Shoelace posted:

but enough about king of the hill

No one tries to kill Bill, except Bill. It's more Bill Kill (Heself).

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
MLP was bad but do people still care about that?
Rick and Morty is loving terrible based on posters who have rick and Morty avs.
South Park is terrible. THE TRUTH IS SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE!!!! Ok we loving get it

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

morally adept posted:

I don't know, the South Park Republicans of yesterday most likely became the edge lord Altrighters of today thanks to their failure to grasp irony. In retrospect I think South Park could be occasionally funny, but only when they're mocking celebrities, bits of pop culture, and other topics which are of little to no importance. If an episode involved Cartman being an evil hosed up prick, Butters being a sweet utterly naive child, or the Goths burning down hot topic it was perfectly palatable and worth a chuckle. That being said Man Bear Pig is loving stupid and easily the most cringe worthy episode. Also the episode dealing with trans people was embarrassingly reductionist and simplistic, and I'm not some kind of hardcore SJW. All in all its a mediocre show made by mildly funny late 90s libertarians who either failed or still fail to grasp just how bankrupt and horrible their ideology is. Sadly it was only able to inflict some societal damage and dumb down the collective narrative largely because Matt Stone and Trey Parker aren't completely lacking in talent.

south park was definitely responsible for moving the overton window a bunch of times in the fast - like, were there openly gay people on tv at all, let alone in cartoons before big gay al? similarly, while they've had episodes about trans people that would get them lynched in 2017, when that episode came out, literally all i knew about trans issues came from the movies sleepaway camp and silence of the lambs.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

south park was definitely responsible for moving the overton window a bunch of times in the fast - like, were there openly gay people on tv at all, let alone in cartoons before big gay al? similarly, while they've had episodes about trans people that would get them lynched in 2017, when that episode came out, literally all i knew about trans issues came from the movies sleepaway camp and silence of the lambs.

Retarded username? Check
Rick and Morty av? Check
Earnestly defending South Park? Check and mate.

Please autoban from the forums and then from life tia.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Dennis System posted:

Maybe the alt-right is the result of identity politics and the demonization of white males by the liberal media.

Rofl

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

As someone who loves animation in general I have learned to despise all fans of any form of media, as they are always garbage and should be ridiculed for making good things less good.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Skeleton King posted:

As someone who loves animation in general I have learned to despise all fans of any form of media, as they are always garbage and should be ridiculed for making good things less good.

Gamers, bad
Comic fans, bad
Movie fans, also bad

This checks out

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I am the only good and true cartoons fan

haha the rest of you can lick lick lick my balls hahaaaaa eh morty

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

:goonsay:

like a cigarette should posted:

I am the only good and true cartoons fan

haha the rest of you can lick lick lick my balls hahaaaaa eh morty

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

hi.

silence of the lambs states in the book and the beginning of the movie that buffalo bill isn't transgender and was turned down for bottom surgery because of it.

south parks take on being trans is super regressive.

sleepaway camp rules and is the least bad of the three, they mostly portray angela as a murderer driven by standard 80s slasher purity values.

ok thanks, these are my opinions.

bye:wave:

happy posting.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Duck Tales

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Anime fans still win as far as being overall broke-brained people. Sauce obsessed Rick & Morty fans who harass McDonald's employees are just obnoxious dicks. Pony people are autistic, spergy, creepy weirdos, and there are probably a fair number of pedos among their ranks, but they don't seem to genuinely believe that they are married to cartoon characters on an astral plain or are the physical incarnation of a character some Japanese guy made up 15 years after they were born.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The_Franz posted:

Anime fans still win as far as being overall broke-brained people. Sauce obsessed Rick & Morty fans who harass McDonald's employees are just obnoxious dicks. Pony people are autistic, spergy, creepy weirdos, and there are probably a fair number of pedos among their ranks, but they don't seem to genuinely believe that they are married to cartoon characters on an astral plain or are the physical incarnation of a character some Japanese guy made up 15 years after they were born.

whats up with your av aka when did pat the ton get his rear end kicked in something

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats up with your av aka when did pat the ton get his rear end kicked in something

no clue who bought it, why they bought it or how it's supposed to offend me. i never posted in the thread it links to and i don't give a poo poo or really know anything about patton oswalt aside from him being a comedian with a dead wife

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

rick and morty, it's like saying Tool is your favorite band

I really like Rick & Morty. I've liked Rick & Morty since episode 1.

I can't stand Rick & Morty's vocal fan base. I don't think I'm alone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blazing Ownager posted:

yeah they bad and the louder they are the worse they get

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Invader Zim. I love the show though.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

This one is in the lead by at least one forum moderator

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
South Park has always had a bend towards conservatism for one reason only: they really tapped into the "loving liberal" frothy rage you see from the right because they were vicious towards liberal ideas (the global warming episodes, holy crap). I'm not sure if Stone and Parker were aware they were doing it because I wasn't until I recently rewatched their political episodes from the 2000s. For them to say "both sides are wrong, truth is somewhere in the middle" is really not accurate at all. I actually got off the South Park political train (yup, I was on it) back in 2004 after their Douche vs. Turd episode because it was just...empty of any "serious thought" I thought it had.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I started watching partway through Season 2.

I still like the show, it's funny and sharp and I enjoyed the manic attitude, crazy imagination and the "I don't give a gently caress" approach to comedy. The fanbase, holy crap, I still think the worst ones are the people that actually get into serious, unironic arguments over that R&M is "magic and NOT science". It's just...what?

The_end
May 17, 2014
Steven Universe's fans no matter their ages suck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you think Rick is right you don’t get the show. He ain’t right.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Justin Godscock posted:

South Park has always had a bend towards conservatism for one reason only: they really tapped into the "loving liberal" frothy rage you see from the right because they were vicious towards liberal ideas (the global warming episodes, holy crap). I'm not sure if Stone and Parker were aware they were doing it because I wasn't until I recently rewatched their political episodes from the 2000s. For them to say "both sides are wrong, truth is somewhere in the middle" is really not accurate at all. I actually got off the South Park political train (yup, I was on it) back in 2004 after their Douche vs. Turd episode because it was just...empty of any "serious thought" I thought it had.

:same:

I get frustrated with South Park because they often resort to reductive fallacy and strawman arguments in order to hammer home what they think is the right answer. I think the Don't Smoke episode is another good example of that. Yeah, anti-drug programs at school really suck, but painting the cigarette companies in a good light was pretty loving cringeworthy. They are right to make fun of people who equate awareness or token actions towards addressing serious issues with being laudably virtuous, but they are wrong to take shots at the issues themselves.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Bogus Adventure posted:

but painting the cigarette companies in a good light was pretty loving cringeworthy.

In the same scene one of the cigarette factory workers sings "and if I die of cancer when I'm 80 I don't care, who wants to be 90 anyway?" and this was your takeaway?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think people take South Park a lot more seriously than the creators do. In the commentary tracks they admit they don't remember even making some of the episodes.

With MLP it still completely baffles me that anyone over the age of 11 would have any kind of interest in it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Junk posted:

In the same scene one of the cigarette factory workers sings "and if I die of cancer when I'm 80 I don't care, who wants to be 90 anyway?" and this was your takeaway?

No it was more when they said that without tobacco and cigarettes many of their black friends wouldn't be in the USA. That was pretty hosed up.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Bogus Adventure posted:

No it was more when they said that without tobacco and cigarettes many of their black friends wouldn't be in the USA. That was pretty hosed up.

:stonklol: seriously wtf? For what its worth I stopped watching south park circa 2008.

Beard Dandruff fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 14, 2018

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Who ever previously mentioned the giant douche/turd sandwich episode of South Park. I remember that specifically being the point where I was just like, ok this is bullshit. Like yeah politics sucks and candidates do sometimes seem like a lesser of two evils thing, but it just seems to enforce a kind of lovely “I don’t everyone sucks” kind of nihilism that I really do think is hurtful to our society. Also, anthropogenic climate change is a fact goddamnit.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

morally adept posted:

:stonklol: seriously wtf? For what its worth I stopped watching south park circa 2008.

It was meant as a joke and came from Cartman's mouth, but it was still a lovely joke.

Julius CSAR posted:

Who ever previously mentioned the giant douche/turd sandwich episode of South Park. I remember that specifically being the point where I was just like, ok this is bullshit. Like yeah politics sucks and candidates do sometimes seem like a lesser of two evils thing, but it just seems to enforce a kind of lovely “I don’t everyone sucks” kind of nihilism that I really do think is hurtful to our society. Also, anthropogenic climate change is a fact goddamnit.

I think they started freaking out about their past political nihilism once Trumpism started gaining steam.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
South Park was also responsible for the bringing the dumb "Hate Crime doesn't exist because all crimes are motivated by hate" argument into the mainstream. Two white guys from colorado telling black people how they should feel about being murdered, gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
People with strong opinions on cartoons need to get a day job.

• Locked thread