Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

A thoughtful superhero film was Chronicle.

Pre climax Hancock is the superhero i aspire to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

A thoughtful superhero film was Chronicle.

Made by former members of Hollywood: Max Landis and Josh Trank.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mike12345 posted:

The marketing definitely portrayed it as some kind of woke experience, so you can't fault people for criticising the lack thereof.

i can criticize them for not knowing better

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Blue Raider posted:

i can criticize them for not knowing better

It's a little depressing that millions of Americans can activism and consumerism confused

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Creamfilled posted:

The most believable white character in the film was the unrepentant racist with a sonic arm cannon.

And even that was kind of weird because in the other MCU movies Klaw is shown to be basically your run-of-the-mill opportunistic smuggler type, then halfway into BP he becomes an over-the-top "they're a bunch of SAVAGES!" racist.

I also thought it was interesting that they make the back story about how pissed Wakanda's been at Klaw for the past 25 years, when they should have been mad at Howard Stark for the past 75. You know, the guy who took some of their vibranium and made it into a weapon for a blond-haired blue-eyed super soldier?

I liked it overall but agree Killmonger's characterization was a little underbaked. With all the MIT and Afghanistan stuff they could have easily tied that more into the MCU via Tony and Iron Man. Like, say he was a surviving member of the same patrol that was ambushed in IM1, or he was part of the rescue mission or something. Or Tony notices him as a student and refers him to the military.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Andy Serkis was wonderful and it was a shame they offed him so quickly

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crazyweasel posted:

Yo - quick question

is the music throughout the movie bumpin' like in the trailer?

It's wierd to me they use that RtJ song in the trailer, but the part with El-P's vocals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

STEP INTO THE SPOTLIGHT!

WOO!

(repeat)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hot take: The trailer was better than the movie

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't think the "Wakandan tradition" stuff was all that dumb or unjustified. Real-world cultures also do weird ceremonial stuff from centuries past for no other reason than that it's traditional

"Look at this lazy-rear end world building. These modern students are all wearing caps and gowns like they're in medieval Europe!

"And this school seal is all in Latin, a language that's been dead for centuries! smdh"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's like if western armies used swords and axes and maces that shot bullets instead of guns and still rode around on horses and wore armor that looked like viking outfits or roman bodyplates and poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't think the "Wakandan tradition" stuff was all that dumb or unjustified. Real-world cultures also do weird ceremonial stuff from centuries past for no other reason than that it's traditional

"Look at this lazy-rear end world building. These modern students are all wearing caps and gowns like they're in medieval Europe!

"And this school seal is all in Latin, a language that's been dead for centuries! smdh"

Counterpoint: while some military dudes do carry ceremonial swords for ceremonies, they set those aside for modern battle rifles when they have to actually do soldier poo poo.

IDK the spear thing would be fully weird if I didn't know the director was black.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Now it's just stupid instead

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good point, I was more thinking of the ritual ceremony stuff than the combat stuff. I agree that using spears and rhinos in battle isn't well-justified in-universe out-of-universe it's perfectly justified, it's to pad out the story/help Disney sell action figures

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zzulu posted:

It's like if western armies used swords and axes and maces that shot bullets instead of guns and still rode around on horses and wore armor that looked like viking outfits or roman bodyplates and poo poo

Nice cultural appropriation, “Zulu” smh 🙎🏿‍♂️

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Wow that was a cool movie. Now I can read a lovely gbs thread. I liked the rhinoceros so I guess I'm just a normie.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

IDK the spear thing would be fully weird if I didn't know the director was black.

See I don't care about that so much as I care about a major Hollywood film studio wants me to go watch a movie that is Magical Negro trope write large, steals and monetizes "black panthers" without giving nods to the actual BP party or dropping any names (afaik), and features xenophobic Africans throwing magical techno spears.

Like...

idk.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Didnt u guys read the reviews? Youre supposed to think this is the best action movie evehr mad

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

When I first saw the "Black Panther" trailers, I was concerned that Black Panther would be Marvel's "magical negro." A character qualifies as a magical negro by utilizing his or her "tribal" power and/or wisdom to save the day (Native American characters can fall victim to this stereotype too).

The magical negro is basically the application of shamanistic powers and personality traits to non-white characters. They are portrayed as in tune with nature/animals and unfazed by trauma.

“Black Panther” dodges this bullet by not presenting T'Challa as a mystic person himself, but rather giving a reason and mechanic for the spirit walking he does in the movie: the Soul Gem.

If you've been watching the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies from the beginning, you know they've been introducing the Infinity Gems, and the only one we have not seen is the Soul Gem. As the name would suggest, it has spiritual powers.

Like are you kidding me lmao

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

The Soul Gem itself is never actually shown, but it is clear that it is in the vibranium deposit in Wakanda; the vibranium has permeated the nation’s soil and altered some of the plants, and the fruit that T’Challa consumes to commune with the dead was created by vibranium residue.

The power of the fruit allows T’Challa to spirit walk and connects him with the Soul Gem itself.

lmao

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

James brown is at the center of the vibraniumc mine singing showtunes

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The long lost Funkenstone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

COMRADES posted:

Like are you kidding me lmao
lmao the Infinity Stone poo poo is the dumbest crap in these Marvel movies and there is stiff competition for that title, and I say that as someone who loves them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol it's vibranium bro. The gently caress you need to even do after that beyond taking the shape of what you already know. Capn USA just made a fuckin shield how dumb is that?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zzulu posted:

Didnt u guys read the reviews? Youre supposed to think this is the best action movie evehr mad

no way its better than Hard Boiled

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/we-need-to-start-barking-at-white-people-who-speak-out-1823131315 a good read

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Very provocative imo ^^^^^^

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
white supremacists: "these people are subhuman animals"

article man: "we should make animal noises"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
:woof:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

COMRADES posted:

steals and monetizes "black panthers" without giving nods to the actual BP party or dropping any names (afaik)

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this was weird because I seriously felt like I had fallen into some sort of weird mandela effect where there was never black panthers just a marvel character

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Literally bark

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BONE DOG posted:

Very provocative imo ^^^^^^

I can’t tell if these are serious or not anymore

One thing, however, that we can and definitely should start doing is what M’Baku and his Que Dog Jabari Tribe did when encountering a problematic white dude who was speaking when there was no ask or need or purpose for the thoughts and opinions of problematic white dudes.

Bark.

Not a purposeless bark. This isn’t a shih tzu barking through the window at a squirrel. Instead this would be an intentional bark. A targeted bark. An overpowering bark. A drowning bark. A Wakandan bark. A bark meant to communicate “Um, who told you that you can speak? When it is time for your words, we will let you know. And maybe that time will never come. We’ll see. Now, just shut up and stand there. Maybe get on your phone and google ‘How not to be a colonizer.’ Whatever you do, I want to hear you not speaking.”

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also, Killmonger did nothing wrong

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

when i was a child i found my mothers vibranium stone

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I can’t tell if these are serious or not anymore

One thing, however, that we can and definitely should start doing is what M’Baku and his Que Dog Jabari Tribe did when encountering a problematic white dude who was speaking when there was no ask or need or purpose for the thoughts and opinions of problematic white dudes.

Bark.

Not a purposeless bark. This isn’t a shih tzu barking through the window at a squirrel. Instead this would be an intentional bark. A targeted bark. An overpowering bark. A drowning bark. A Wakandan bark. A bark meant to communicate “Um, who told you that you can speak? When it is time for your words, we will let you know. And maybe that time will never come. We’ll see. Now, just shut up and stand there. Maybe get on your phone and google ‘How not to be a colonizer.’ Whatever you do, I want to hear you not speaking.”

Its sincere

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this was weird because I seriously felt like I had fallen into some sort of weird mandela effect where there was never black panthers just a marvel character

pbs news hour talked about the movie and they said the character was created before the group and when the actual black panthers were making headlines they switched the characters name to something else

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Clawtopsy posted:

white supremacists: "these people are subhuman animals"

article man: "we should make animal noises"

they're just well aware of how much white people love dogs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Statutory Ape posted:

when i was a child i found my mothers vibranium stone

A pivotal moment in any child's life, coming to realize that your Dad's dick is bullshit and thus yours will be as well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

vyst posted:

James brown is at the center of the vibraniumc mine singing showtunes

lets not let people think the movie is better than it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

pbs news hour talked about the movie and they said the character was created before the group and when the actual black panthers were making headlines they switched the characters name to something else

huh, no poo poo apparently. what a crazy god damned world.

• Locked thread