Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Annihilation being a very bad movie isn’t going to bring me down cause future man season 2 is out tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the birdbox world doesnt sound so bad tbh since I never get out of the house anyway

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sancho posted:

Annihilation being a very bad movie isn’t going to bring me down cause future man season 2 is out tomorrow!

Oh hell yeah

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I got excited early in Annihilation when they first passed through the bubble and lost like three days, like how interesting would it be if the characters would wake up with random injuries or missing important equipment and assume one of their teammates did it. Instead, what they did with this interesting problem is nothing and the one woman just loses her mind because the bubble make-a you crazy

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Isn't this basically how Bill Murray got stuck making those Garfield movies? He heard it was being directed by the wrong Coen

That's a total lie, else he wouldn't have signed up for the sequel. Bill Murray is a dick with a weird cult of personality around him on the internet.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The boys nail it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUAu0aP4DA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The next time I get ahold of some acid I'm gonna watch annihilation

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sunswipe posted:

Don't sign your posts.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

precision posted:

The next time I get ahold of some acid I'm gonna watch annihilation

Watch the Rift: Dark side of the moon instead imho.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im not going through 7 pages jsut to find out if "Turd Box" has been done, so... TURD BOX!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nut to Butt posted:

pay hyum. pay dat man hyus money

I hate you because now it's stuck in his voice from the movie in my head

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im not going through 7 pages jsut to find out if "Turd Box" has been done, so... TURD BOX!

Nerd box.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Annihilation was a pretty good movie actually.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Annihilation was a pretty good movie actually.

Lol nah

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Annihilation felt like a dude very high trying to write a sci-fi movie, scribbled down a sequence of nonsense, and then whoops they used that as the script without doing any re-writes.

Skipping a few pages to post this this, but the original author literally wrote the book this way

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So Bird Box and Annihilation were both let downs where I wish I had my two hours back. Finished The Ritual and it was actually pretty decent and enjoyed it. It legit creeped me out in a few spots.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I guess GBS really does hate women

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Philthy posted:

So Bird Box and Annihilation were both let downs where I wish I had my two hours back. Finished The Ritual and it was actually pretty decent and enjoyed it. It legit creeped me out in a few spots.

:hmmyes:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "The Void" (2016).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Nut to Butt posted:

I liked "The Void" (2016).

That was intense. Great movie, although it got a little gory for me at the end.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

has anyone said turd box yet

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

That was intense. Great movie, although it got a little gory for me at the end.

I watched on a goon recommendation, and it actually panned out, so I was pleased.

I'm not big on gore, but I appreciated how they incorporated practical effects in a low-budget movie.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Saw it. It's good horror movie, not great. Hearing the book was much harsher, but it wouldn't work for American audiences or her fans (target audience). So they give it a hopeful ending.

Overall the body count was ridiculously high & they leave a LOT unexplained. Feels like a lot of Lovecraft influence here.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So what's the threshold on "See the monster = Go crazy?"

People with impaired vision could have an edge here; if your sight was blurry enough to obscure the creatures while also allowing you to comprehend light/shapes/colors you would be all set. Bonus points: Optometry doctors defeat world-ending menace by mass-producing goggles that gently caress up your sight.

Also how mentally ill do you need to be to not immediately off yourself? Do you need a clinical diagnosis for insanity, or will having an undiagnosed minor disorder count?

Leaving stuff unexplained is standard procedure for horror movies but I always find it weird when there's a world-ending catastrophe going on but no-one tries to figure poo poo out before running into a river/stepping on a nail

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 14, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I haven't seen Bird Box and probably never will because the plot seems like insipid garbage and also seems like the concept demonizes mental illness for like basically no reason except very bad writing. Like, uh, what in the heck is the point in mentally ill people in the movie arbitrarily not being directly affected by the suicide monsters and turning into possessed cultists??? Jeez.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
yes this movie is definitely not for the mentally ill, please do not watch this movie if you are mentally ill

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
I watched it with my wife and in-laws over the Christmas holidays and announced "tird box sucked shitcocks" and was politely asked by my wife to find a new family to harass.

It really did suck fat dong though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I haven't seen Bird Box and probably never will because the plot seems like insipid garbage and also seems like the concept demonizes mental illness for like basically no reason except very bad writing. Like, uh, what in the heck is the point in mentally ill people in the movie arbitrarily not being directly affected by the suicide monsters and turning into possessed cultists??? Jeez.

Because using ~crazy~ people as an immediate threat is Bad Writing 101.

Ya'll are putting way too much effort into deciphering a movie thats based off of a book written by a dude who saw The Happening and was inspired.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I like that they go on the river without life jackets, really smart move lady. Also are all animals dead too? I hope (I think there was a dog skeletal in a scene) because it makes the forest scenes even more stupid that they are listening for birds. I also like that they spoil like 90 minutes of the movie in the first 5 minutes, great work guys!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some creatures can't see as well as others. Some microbes are able to perceive and react to stimuli like light. Are those microbes and creatures still doomed to kill themselves when they look at the bad boys?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A local bat screams a sound pulse at the monster, flies into a rock at maximum velocity. Unless it's a mad bat.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You guys are silly, It Follows is not about AIDS. It's just an allegory about how loving people over will come back to bite you in the rear end eventually.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah you can only poz so many neg buttes in your attempt to reclaim your youthful vitality, sooner or later you die of AIDS. Very apt metaphor.

Bird box premise could really use a blind swordsman type character. gently caress it, Americanize it and make it an old guy with a golfing club, or a blind autistic teen who really loves baseball and has a collection of autographed bats.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah you can only poz so many neg buttes in your attempt to reclaim your youthful vitality, sooner or later you die of AIDS. Very apt metaphor.

Bird box premise could really use a blind swordsman type character. gently caress it, Americanize it and make it an old guy with a golfing club, or a blind autistic teen who really loves baseball and has a collection of autographed bats.

If you americanize it go with blind gunman and an assault rifle.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

yes this movie is definitely not for the mentally ill, please do not watch this movie if you are mentally ill

Same for posting here tbh

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAYUd3V7N4

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
While I'm being boring book nerd, The Ritual is based on a book by Adam Nevill and you should immediately go and read all his books which are a lot creepier than the film.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the ritual loving sucked lol

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

If you thought the Annihilation movie was interesting you should read the novel. It is fairly short (if that matters) and is so much better than the movie, which was a complete hack job.

Bird box sux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i stand by the decision to cast Machine gun kelly after he was sodomized by eminem