Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hopper Rouley and the Very Mean Man

When we last left Hopper he'd randomly found Rask, a character who seems to randomly show up to deliver exposition when he's not committing child murder.

Also we saw a flashback where a dark god possessing Dorpkhal's body ate a bunch of children after Dorpkhal cut off their parents' boobs and dicks.

This game, folks!

Why the hell not?

This happens 3 times this update, and I give in every time.

It's not interesting.

Why doesn't he just...go to the bigass mansion?

: Mushom overhears Ake and laughs. "I know Elias quite well. Used to be in the army together. A good man, but slow on the uptake. Still don't understand how he made Captain. That said, he's quite deft at swinging that sword of his-wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

This is technically a riddle, but I'm going to solve it and the next one for free, as they both have the game going DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE RIDDLE Y/N. The thread so far has been pretty adamant about solving these stupid things, so I'm just going to do it.

: Help him.

: You bring the huntsman into the house, remove the arrow, noting the peculiar arrow-head, and bandage the wound. It's clear that Gaynore will soon die without proper aid. Time to think things through.

The gimmick here is that we only have 1 potion and arbitrarily can't make more because Ash of Gods. Fortunately, I have GameFAQs.

: Go collect some herbs.

Anyway by the power of the Almighty Pot Leaf, which conveniently lives in the woods where a random hunter has a bigass mansion, we can solve the plot and go do whatever the hell Hopper normally does.

: You decided it would be much faster to venture into the woods and find the herbs alone. As soon as you gather the necessary ingredients, the glade is beset by armed men. You notice an archer among them. You unsheath[sic] your sword with a friendly smile.

Yea, remember Hederlig's guard commander? We have to go talk to him.

I want to point out that Chila's plan hinged on us getting to Gaynore's house just as he had been shot, deciding to help him, and Gaynore deciding to talk about the old woman who helped him. Chila can see the future I guess.

: Let Mushom talk.

Mushom is so good at talking to people that there is an encounter in the game with a witch where the correct answer is to let Mushom seduce her so you can get a riddle piece. I'm not sure if we've missed it, but it's pretty dumb!

Also Mushom is this guy's old friend.

More grammar errors!

This leads us to a fork in the road where I take the Shamanic Fell because it sounds metal.

: Tell Ake about the book.

Notice how the Jeranan king still doesn't get a name? It's weird!

WE HAD THAT THE WHOLE TIME?

We could have pulled so much poo poo with that it's not even funny.

I'm also not actually sure Terminum has a printing press, so would textbooks even be a thing?

: Ake stares at you, wide-eyed. "Do you have any idea how valuable that book is? That Isanan princess-Treeg's mother-died a long time ago. It's what made the king bitter forever and... now wait a moment! Didn't that all happen fifty years ago?

Women in refrigerators! Also wouldn't Hopper know these guys' names if he was bringing them steamy love letters?

This is an interesting characterization of Hopper though. For all that he presents himself as a wandering hobo he's clearly at home with the rich and powerful.

Let's go to Friga. Again. We get another curse spreading event, and I give in per thread vote.

The narration is voiced but it's not in sync with the text. Most of the time the voiced narration makes slightly different word choices than the text, actually.

I'm not sure I buy that, as Thorn seems to have survived running from the Reaping and he's a complete dumbass.

Let's stop here for a moment. The game is getting dangerously self-aware and so I want to point out some things.

Hopper has no clear goal except wandering around like a dunderhead trying to find these riddles to save himself from the curse. We don't know why he was cursed, except that the curse weakens the Reaping somehow. We know Chila and Coronzon were in on it because we got railroaded into the bell tower.

It is Chapter 7 of 10 and we learned all the above from Chapter 3 or so.

The game has been dragging us along with this mystery box, but not doling out nearly enough to stop it. Why can't Chila just tell us what to do? gently caress you. What are Chila's goals? gently caress you. We can surmise that Chila might have some connection with the Reaper "Childao". but we only know that name from optional random encounters and Khama's exposition dump. We have been chasing after a way to stop the Reaping, and we are no closer to doing any of this.

This is presented as an amazing plot point, but I have no idea what exactly Gleda's power is. So far she stood in the same town square as Dorpkhal and didn't die. This is supposedly because of Thorn's magic jizz used to conceive her when he went through some bullshit magic, but we've actually seen plenty of people stand up to the Reapers and not die. To wit:
-Swarty
-Kendi
-Dume
-Ruor
-Shannet
-Bolla

All faced Atraakh with no special protection or bloodline bullshit and didn't insta-die the first round of combat. Lo Pheng has the excuse that the strixes implanted in his sword and body protected him. Reet has her weird Qimra thing the authors trot out to give her more cutscene abilities. The game really wants you to buy Gleda as having some super special power, but she's done literally nothing to earn it aside from the lonely teens in Thorn's unit fighting harder when she's around.

I still owe you all that bonus plot update, don't I?

Except if we're in real trouble, we can just...resist it and it goes away.

: Thankfully, you manage to leave it in the dust. For now.

She didn't. She hid behind her father who was wearing a strix. The Reaper literally just looked at her and left.

: The gate is wide open-no guards in sight. It's no surprise that you do not see a tollman-there aren't even any archers on the towers. The town is empty, the oldest fort of Berkana is abandoned[sic]. What's there to do in an empty fortress? Where should one go?

: Rask fidgets nervously in his saddle. He used to have a small shop in Friga, but sold it long ago. The memories still haunt him. He touches the wall as he rides by. You find this kind of sentimentality foolish.

This is the authors explaining that you might gently caress around for days and miss Thorn.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make Thorn waste enough time that you catch up to him here.

AW YISS JOIN OUR PARTY

"Hey it's me Hopper I got your maybe grandmother laid."

: Well I'll be! A scribe from Isana! Here! What do you seek, Hopper? Are you lost or something? I mean, there's a war going on! Any day now, Gells will enter the fortress, and I'm not going to stick around to welcome them. What do you need?

: I am also the Jeranan Master of the Hunt now, Your Highness. I need to find Thorn Brenin. Prince Treeg has some questions for him. I need to catch up to him quickly and... discuss a matter of the utmost urgency.

: Damnation! That was Treeg's son, Ho, the crown prince! How did he beat us here? Unless he changed horses... what a pain in the rear end! Apologies, Your Highness! Couldn't help it.

: Where would it be best to intercept him?

: I doubt Brenin is going to return to Friga. His way leads to Opacum now. Try to intercept him near the Water Menhir. He will certainly stop there.

: Excuse me, Your Highness! Did you not catch a glimpse of Thorn Brenin's daughter? A girl of around sixteen. Prince Treeg has no interest, but I'd still like to see her. She accomplished something remarkable back in Albius.

I will give the writers this: That last sentence changes the conversation so that Hopper doesn't sound like a pedo.

: Where will the Berkanan defense be staged now?

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

: Hopper, my man! You got Grandma laid! What are you doing here, we're evacuating.

: I'm looking for Thorn Brenin's 16 year old daughter for totally nonsexual reasons.

: He went to Opacum. Go talk to Lon.

: Rask furrows his brow. "So what? Do you call that a siege? We're still in one piece. Now to find this Lon of yours, get the latest news and be on our way. And let me tell you something-I've heard of the White Tower. Not a place a man should just wander into."

: "I've heard of this White Tower," you say. "No sane person would linger there. It makes sense to head straight to Opacum, but I've got some unfinished business here. I should seek out Lon."

: "I know that Lon fellow", Ake mumbles. "Not a bad soldier, but always whining about something. They say that when Lon visits the market, his face turns the milk sour."

: Hopper's the one leading our squad. He's a healer, and a scribe, and... well, many things. He's the one you should talk to. I must say, I'm glad to see you're in good health-though you seem as sour as usual.

Oh look it's Chila again. Yawn.

: A strange hag, you say... Have you noticed any other oddities since she healed your wound?

I really don't understand why Chila can't leave Hopper a letter telling him to do all this dumb poo poo or the curse will kill him.

: You nod and examine Lon's hand. Under the already familiar spellwork, you find a short sentence. It compliments the previous one, like a sword and sheath. "You will save yourself by saving others."

: I'd like to find that hag and have a little chat with her.

Holy poo poo, did Hopper actually figure it out?

Give Hopper a round of applause!

: Hopper's not some cheap magician if that's what you're thinking. He's got a Temple license and Prince Treeg's full support. Hopper aided you, so you should be grateful. It's not your place to ask how he did it.

Wait...so he used some kind of magic on you and you're not supposed to be concerned?

gently caress!

: Why is there no siege?

: Wait, I think I'm missing something. What leader are you talking about? Has some great warlord managed to unite the local Gells and Vandils under his banner?

It only took us SIX loving CHAPTERS but Dorpkhal is back in the plot! :toot:

: What old woman are you talking about?

: What witch are you talking about? Do you just enjoy repeating any heresy you hear in Terminum or something? Next you'll tell me that you've seen the Lady of the Forest.

: There's still the big question.

: Heard anything about Mact? Mact Brenin, I mean. Concern for his fate was one of the reasons we came here in the first place.

Well that's nice of Hopper.

: Well, thank you, Lon. We'll be on our way if you've nothing more to say. The onslaught may still resume. It seems we'll have to take one of the roads to Opacum.

Oh boy! More riddle bullshit!

: Hey Lon. See any witches lately?

: Yea, she did something to my arm.

: Let me take a look. Oh, more riddle bullshit.

: What did you do to me?

: You dare question Hopper Rouley, wizard baron scribe? Know your place, peasant!

: Sorry, jeez. Look, I'll tell you what's going on so you'll go away. Dorpkhal the Reaper is leading that army to, uh, do a thing we're not sure of. Chila gave me a bunch of cryptic bullshit to tell you, but she also fought some kind of Reaper or sorcerer allied with them in a magic battle openly. Also there's some kind of "Lady of the Forest" who is a witch I'm obligated to clumsily foreshadow. Peace, I'm out.

: That old lady Chila sure is manipulating the poo poo out of us.

Hopper is at his absolute worst when talking with Rask or Coronzon.

: What are you talking about exactly? I felt it too. Barely though. Either the place or the weapon has been sealed with a spell, making it hard to tell where and when it all happened. Can you at least tell me who died?

"The writers realized they put branching paths in this stupid poo poo so they invented this magic poo poo to not write different dialog."

: What would he be doing here?

: Isn't it obvious? Friga should be governed by the prince of Isana, while Qarbaph has always been a frequent guest at his court. So, nothing surprising about good old Drooket appearing in Friga. The only thing that surprises me is that he actually died.

So yes, our boy Drooket was an Umbra and is apparently the only Umbra who figured out how to not have gold eyes. Good on him!

: Where's he headed now?

: I don't know. He was always quite fickle. One thing I know for sure, Qarbaph possesses only the bodies of certain lowlifes. Though he'd not settle for a peasant.

So this is just a reminder that all these Umbra assholes are murdering people to take over their bodies.

This is not going where the writers' grimdark tendencies would make you think. Dude just sired a bunch of kids.

: What's your take on all this?

: What do you think? Don't you see what I've been reduced to? For years now, every little sound startles me! I've been bound to this body ever since the Ashen Wasteland appeared. If it goes-I go with it. Perhaps my death will be even more final than human death.

: I think it all leads back to us somehow.

: (Alarmed) That's right. Qarbaqh loves life so much, he just wouldn't die that easily. His hand was forced. Whatever, I'll meet him later. Although he likes to pull pranks on me whenever he switches bodies. Takes his sweet time before reintroducing himself.

: Let's hope he doesn't possess the body of a shaman, or Frisian. Although, what difference would it make?

We are seven chapters into the game and we are no closer to solving most of them. This route is pointless. The problem with doing this kind of mystery box narrative is that to keep the reader interested you need to slowly leak answers, introduce new mysteries, or both.

Right now the game has exhausted my patience with incessant rambling about pointless political subplots and poo poo that doesn't matter.

: Let's talk some other time.

: Let us spew forth glorious exposition upon each other, in a totally nonsexual way.

: Let me begin. Our old buddy Qarbaph, who you never heard of before and surely cannot pronounce, died. He will possess some new sucker and prank us.

: This sure is mysterious. Maybe I should spend less time loving around and more discovering the plot of this game.

: Do ho ho!

: There are people living there, Mushom. There's even an inn there. And villages. And hamlets.

gently caress, I wish Hamlet was in this game.

This is the game's not so subtle hint that you should hit up that inn. It satisfies the animal friendliness riddle.

: Sorry, Mushom, but I was under the impression that true witches can only be found in common Berkanan markets.

: What stories are you talking about, Mushom?

: This witch dries people out! One touch of her staff turns you into jerky! She can also enchant the grass around her, turning it into blades that can skewer a man!

This means she will never be a boss fight because the devs don't want to have to depict all that poo poo.

I know these guys have seen Hopper fight, and it involves draining the life out of people with shadow magic and raining fire from the heavens. That seems on par with this?

: What's wrong with the flooded quarries?

: The bandits drown the merchants they've robbed there. They tie a rock to their legs, and down they go. Their corpses float up into the wells afterwards. Sometimes in the furriers' village, sometimes near the tavern.

: What's wrong with the hot springs?

: Thing is, the water in some of them isn't simply hot, but it also contains some sort of cursed salt! It won't just boil you alive, it'll completely dissolve your corpse too! Just think about it. It's claimed more than a few lives.

: Stop filling your head with foolish tales, Mushom!

: Tales or not, they strike fear in me. They're only foolish to people from Albius or Ursus, but you'll think differently after spending time in these woods! It won't take a week before you believe all of it!

: What's up, Mushom?

: GOTOTHEBEARINNGOTOTHEBEARINNGO-

: All right. Let's talk about something else.

: JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS.

: Shut the gently caress up now, Mushom.

: I'm sorry! It's just that we're going into the spooky forest with that witch that Lon dude foreshadowed. We should be worried!

: Shut the gently caress up now, Mushom.

Well that was enlightening.

MORE words?

Oh no. No. No. Please, god.

: Used to stay here. A grand fortress, this one. Not as beautiful as Heibord, or as formidable as Opacum, but it was so ancient and lively. Now it's empty. Isana's soldiers didn't even close the gate on their way out. I hope they didn't just run for the hills!

: The soldiers of Isana were the first Berkans to prepare for battle. As far as I know, Friga doesn't have a sizeable garrison, though Prince Hederlig personally assumed command to protect the fortress from the constant bandit incursions. Odalah even sent him a squad of swordsmen in aid.

OH MY GOD SHUT UP!

: It was Gebona that built Friga, Heiborg, and Opacum. THey were the first to stand up to Frisia. Even now, despite the numerous threats delivered by Frisian messengers-and the resulting infighting-they've not given up, nor betrayed their own. Remember that, Ake.

: I don't quite get you, Hopper! You're saying I should be grateful to Gebona or something? Thank that bloated kingdom that brings nothing but misfortune? Name a single reason why? Just one!

So pro tip for all you fantasy authors out there: no one actually cares about your fictitious history for your D&D setting. Knock that poo poo off. I know Tolkien did it, but Tolkien was setting Middle Earth up as a place of lost glory as they got further from God. If you're going to make setting elements important, they need to tie into the story.

This does not.

I could summarize this, but I want you all to suffer as I do.

: Neither Pertah nor Raydona defend the west of Berkana. Why?

What the gently caress is a Pertah? We've heard of Raydona briefly as the home of the lovely Eikon ripoff twins. I don't think anyone from Pertah appears in the game. I don't know where it is on the map, and frankly I don't care. I don't care about this world's fictitious politics when they don't interact with the characters and story directly.

This is the kind of poo poo that is padding when we HAVE mysteries to solve and themes to explore.

: Why did Gebona not become the sixth kingdom in the alliance?

There's an alliance? I mean, I assume there's a reason Jeranan guys could run around Odalah like that, but there being a five kingdom alliance seems kinda important for a narrative about war. I don't need a history, but having Prince Treeg saying something like "oh I'm here on the sufferance of my allies" or something would have helped.

Of course, I'm stuck with the history anyway?

: Because every Gebonan's a devious bastard! Well.. their women are beautiful, and their children are nice... but all the others are bastards! I guess I did meet a decent Gebonan once, but that was ages ago.

This is the only important thing to come out of this - Coronzon wanted to destroy the alliance between the 5 kingdoms and Gebona. It's not that important, and I don't understand why Hopper asked the question only to slam it in Ake's face. I guess he's trying to teach him not to be racist?

: How were Frisian troops prepared for war?

: Who knows? I wasn't spying on 'em. They've got good fortunetellers or something. They foresaw the Reaping. The Frisians got their act together, assembled the troops and stationed them near the border. Then the Reaping strikes, and we're already at arms length.

: No time for questions! There are urgent matters to attend to!

Then why did we waste our time with this stupid poo poo?

: Man they are abandoning this fort and it sucks! I am mad, and that makes me racist!

: I will ask you trivia questions about worldbuilding, because that is the kind of stupid poo poo genre fans eat right up! First question: Tell me why the countries that aren't in this game haven't done anything?

: Because they're not in the game?

: Ake, you silly man! It's because they're all paranoid about ships. Next que -

: Is anyone playing actually asking these questions? Was I supposed to have read Sergei Malitsky's books that are only in Russian? Don't you have an arm to uncurse?

: But if I don't tell the players, how are they supposed to know Coronzon, the Temple, and the Frisians are all bad?

Finally, our long dialogue nightmare is over.

We gotta go to the Bear Inn per Mushom's explicit hint and the riddle about animals.

Reminder: Ake is racist but only against adult Gebonan men.

: Rask interrupts the giant. "Bollocks, all of it. Baztitch isn't crazy-never saw a witch in his life. And his bear is tame. It's like an old family tradition of his-they love animals. He started all the rumors so that bandits would keep clear of the inn.

: The inn's owner meets you beside the gate. He's got a gloomy countenance, but tries his best to be hospitable. After some talk, you learn the reason behind his sour mood: his bear is ill and the usual potions aren't helping at all.

As this is another "do you want to solve the riddles y/n" question I take the liberty of solving it for the thread.

: Offer a potion.

So I had to reload after I got Hopper drunk and missed another riddle.

: Stay, but don't drink.

: You refuse to drink, but your companions eagerly pitch in-gulping down beer as if it's their final bender. On the second day, you lose your temper and stop the drinking spree, driving everybody back into their saddles with much cursing. Sick from all the booze, Baztitch doesn't even make an effort to come out and say goodbye.

So you'll notice we're supposed to be going to the water menhir, but there's an X on the path. Why? Because the DM is railroading us.

Yea whatever gently caress off.

Oh boy!

: Mushom yawns fiercely. "drat you, Hopper! Did you lace our food with sleeping draught? I don't understand. Could it be the forest? I'm falling asleep sitting upright!"

: Ake shrugs. "Listen, Hopper. I'm a bit tired. If we don't take a break within the hour, I'm afraid I'll fall off my horse."

Guess what! It doesn't matter what you pick, you get railroaded into the same bullshit!

: Ride a bit further.

: You shake your head. "No, Chirlan. You should never simply accept what falls into your lap. Let's look for a lighter clearing. I'm not afraid of strange sorcery-I have a fairly good sense for it-but bright sunshine will make me feel better, nevertheless."

: Rask takes another sip from his flask. "There's one close by! A lighter clearing with bright sunshine flooding its center. We won't find a better place, Blance! Not a bad place to die, if I say so myself.

: Ake suddenly shakes his head. "Answer me this, Hopper. Why do you call Rask 'Chirlan' and why does he call you 'Blance'? Are they code names, or something? As for me, I've always been Ake-nothing more, nothing less-and I'll be Ake, until I die!"

: Ake's face breaks into a crooked smile. "That's too bad. And what if I outlive you? Should I call myself 'Chirlan' then? Or 'Rask'? I'm afraid my commander won't understand!"

This looks bad. Who is that guy on the log?

God drat, whoever wrote "wafts to the green vault of the forest" could give Patrick Rothfuss a run for his money as far as bad metaphors go.

poo poo. Well, we know why he's not chasing Lo Pheng and company at least.

: How did you manage to bind me with your spells? They've never had power over me before. But wait... The magic of the grass... How can it be? How long have we been sleeping here? More than a day?!

Well, poo poo. One of the bad guys showed up and offered to tell us what the hell is going on?

Decisions lie before us!

What do we tell Atraakh? Do we defy him, or do we feign ignorance?

Remember, Read what's etched into the stone by the water... especially if they make you an offer.. It may or may not be useful here.

Choose wisely.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
for what it's worth, the name banter was neat

anyway, feign ignorance

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Is it really feigning ignorance if I don't have the foggiest clue what we're supposed to be doing and how we have anything to offer this rear end in a top hat?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drooket was an Umbra! Who's Drooket?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

kw0134 posted:

Is it really feigning ignorance if I don't have the foggiest clue what we're supposed to be doing and how we have anything to offer this rear end in a top hat?

Not at all! You are not the first person to be completely confused as to what the hell we're supposed to be doing in Ash of Gods, and you won't be the last.

I spent the entire last update complaining about it pretty much. Hopper still has no goal other than "follow these dumb riddles to lift this curse" but we have no idea why anyone would want to follow the riddles or why Chila didn't just appear at the beginning, give us a laundry list of tasks, warn us that if we don't do this exactly the curse kills us, and then goes on to troll Thorn or whatever she's doing.

I will say, however, that we used to work for Dorpkhal presumably in the same place as Nakoma here. This is basically the VP of a different division at your old company showing up with a job offer.

It should also be noted that Nakoma here had to get a second, as of yet unseen Reaper to help him do this - Adna - and if Hopper fights Atraakh later Hopper can shove his face in 1v1.

Bruceski posted:

Drooket was an Umbra! Who's Drooket?

Drooket was that Sean Bean inspired warrior guy who helped Thorn and co fight cannibal farm laborers and a racist stereotype to rescue his son Mact. He then got murdered by offscreen crossbowmen.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 2, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hopper Rouley and the Christian Allegory

When we last left Hopper, he was deciding how to reject the offer of the evil Reaper Atraakh. The thread voted with one vote for "feign ignorance" and 2 votes for "what the gently caress is even going on", a fair question.

The problem is I don't know what the hell is going on without dipping into my spoiler knowledge. Seriously, the game is desperately trying to get you invested in the Mystery Box right now, and it just doesn't work because it's being too stingy with details while focusing too heavily on how GRIMDARK! and ADULT! this story is!

All we know right now is that Hopper has to solve these dumb riddles or he will die, but he's also trying to get Gleda to maybe fight the Reapers? Who knows.

: I can't help you, Atraakh!

Hang on. It's time for an episode of

What the gently caress am I talking about?

Right now, with what we know from Khama, Reet, and Hopper we can piece a few things together.

-Hopper, Rask, Amma, Drooket, and the Reapers are all beings called Umbra. Umbra are basically angels who possess people and work directly for the gods. The Reapers - Dorpkhal, Adna, Childao, Tibibar, and Atraakh here - were "High Umbra", basically archangels who took orders from the gods directly. All the other Umbra we've met are lesser Umbra who used to work directly for the Reapers. Hopper here worked for Dorpkhal. The Enses are the inhabitants of Calz who received the word of the gods from the Umbra and did as they were told.
-Umbra are not physical entities like mortals, they're spirits that possess people unless a god is around who can give them physical form. This...actually kind of works for turning them from noble angels who serve god into terrible demons no one likes.
-All of these assholes are not from Terminum (the world we're currently running around) but from a dimension called 'Calz'. The reason they are here is because one of the gods of Calz went mad, fought the other four, and decided he liked killing and eating people so he sent Dorpkhal to go castrate a bunch of dudes so he could eat children. Khama describes Calz as a hellish place with an overheating sun and acid rain ruining things for everyone.
-Currently the High Umbra aren't being kept in line by anyone so they run around being dicks. Their magic is powered by pain and suffering and they still command the Enses, so they have commanded the Enses to run around murdering children to make blade pyramids and other stupid crap. This could be related to the theological problem of evil (how can a benevolent god allow suffering if benevolent gods can prevent it and want to prevent it).
-Hopper is now saying that the events of this game are on their way to do to Terminum what happened to Calz - let the mad god run amok while the sun burns and acid rains from the sky, and wants to know if that is Atraakh's goal.

I'm not really impressed with the :lost: style mystery box they have going on here. When I have multiple posters in the thread unable to discern the plot from the game's writing, it's not because they're stupid, it's because this game's writing is unable to convey what the game is about.

Oh no, not Rask! He had such interesting character traits, such as being completely subservient to Chila and willing to murder mortals en masse.

Now this is kind of interesting. Remember that Drooket guy who briefly hung out with Thorn to help him find his son?

That Sean Bean looking guy? Hopper knows he got killed but Atraakh, for all his power and supposed wisdom, doesn't.

Come to think of it this whole scene shows how much Atraakh sucks. Yea, he's cutscene destroying us here, but he had to go beg Adna nicely for the use of her abilities. Lo Pheng beat his rear end twice, and the first words from him here are ranting about how Lo Pheng owned him.

...Is that it?

I don't think this is the right use of the word sleek either.

: What do you want from me, Atraakh?

: Not much. Go to Opacum and do what you intend to do. Look around, and commit what you see to memory-and write it down. That's all. The gods will reward you... and not just them. I'll personally ensure that you meet your heart's desire in Opacum.

(The game is still using the Atraakh the Reaper portrait, I just have Nakoma handy).

: I agree... but wait! Who am I supposed to meet in Opacum? What heart's desire are you talking about?

I thought the Reapers served no one? Atraakh serves the gods? I'm so loving lost right now.

: Atraakh does not reply. As his silhouette dissolves into thin air, as the slough of grass swallows up Chirlan's hollow carcass and as Ake comes to his senses, you wonder whether you've become a slave again... or not yet?

Welp! For the record, Rask dies either way and Nakoma wants you to write this poo poo down. There's a reason I had the vote, though!

: Waaaaah! Lo Pheng beat me like I owed him money! So I went to my friend Adna and whined a lot and she let me use her cutscene powers!

: Oh, poo poo! What do you want!

: I want to make you an offer. Serve me, and I'll tell you the plot of this game. Don't you want to know? It's been seven whole chapters.

: Doesn't matter what I pick, Thomas! Choo-choo! So gimme the lowdown!

: Silly Hopper! The writers have informed me I can't open the mystery box until everyone is at Opacum! Now Rask must die!

: I'm dead! Oscar please!

: Now, I want you to go to Opacum like you were already going to do to witness the endgame. Don't worry, I've merely stolen Rask's soul, he's not permadead. Also, if you do a good job you might see Amma naked. Bye!

: What the gently caress.

I guess we keep trekking along the same path.

This is still happening, and I keep giving in to mangle our stats. This sounds bad, but all it really means it that I have to spend more turns clicking Mental Blast and using Flame Blade off cooldown. Hopper fights are incredibly pointless.

: Cure the wounded with magic.

There was something in the riddles about sacrificing ourselves to save others, wasn't there?

: You pour some pain-relieving potion into the woman's mouth-and her child's-then weave a spell that shares some of your strength with them. They'll both live, but the blackness on your arm has spread. Suddenly, you hear a noise from the other side of the road.

My strategy for this fight is simple. The curse has shredded Hopper's stats to 9 attack. But if I go in the corner and spam Mental Blast and Fire Blade, I can hurt the Enses and they will never reach me in melee because they move slowly. Every Ense that dies gives me 2 more attack, so I can spend less time clicking Fire Blade.

This is not a tactically interesting game.

The last idiot goes down to a mental blast before he's even near melee range.

:toot:

We finally get to the Water Menhir and our next stupid riddle.

: You remember Lon's words. You try to picture the witch who enticed you with riddles and promises of lifting the curse, forcing you to wander the roads of Terminum. You miss Chirlan-Rask, the only one among your kin whom you consider a friend. Even then, he didn't tell you what happened many years ago, when he became permanently attached to his physical body and the Ashen Wasteland came into being.

: Huge Vandil pines give way to low fir trees. A waft of fresh air carries the scent of water. Seagulls glide overhead. There's a glint of water beyond the tree-trunks, but the scent of reeds is laced with the smell of blood. The clearing looks like a scene of a recent battle. The island is here. You get off your horse and lean over to examine the ground.

: You straighten yourself. "Oh, it's nothing. Let's set up camp on the island, shall we?"

: Ake dismounts, shaking his head in disbelief. "Apart from being a healer, a bookworm and a sorcerer, you're a tracker now? I can't read the prints, but for some reason I don't see any blood-or bodies, for that matter."

: You shrug. "Just a matter of habit. The bodies could have been dumped in the water. If you search by the little dam where the river flows from the lake, you'll probably find them. I don't recommend drinking the water. Let's dismount. We'll take a break for a couple of hours and carry on.

: You hear no response, and turn to see your companions sinking into the tall grass at the water's edge. Dull green blades entangle their feet and the legs of their horses. "Don't kill them, Adna", you say, before turning to face the island again. "They've done you no wrong."

Oooh la la.

So this is Adna, our third Reaper. She commands plants and animals, which is a really weird powerset for someone who is basically a murderess for hire to have. Usually talking to animals is a sign of great wisdom, such as Asclepius talking to the snakes to learn healing lore or Siegfried talking to birds to learn about Mime's attempt on his life.

Here we literally have a eugenics enforcer who kills people with blades of grass. Make your own pot jokes!

The narration implies she was the human resources lady of the old gods, in charge of Hopper and friends. Make of that what you will.

: What do you want, Adna? To send me where you sent Chirlan? Why did you do it? What are you plotting with Dorpkhal and Atraakh?

Translation: Atraakh can't use her cutscene powers anymore.

: How are you going to use it against me? I haven't heard an answer yet. What do you want from me?

: I don't know what the nature of this curse is!

: Yet it overpowers you, Blance. Binds you to this body, making you mortal. It also... consumes you, though it's linked to the Reaping, somehow. Curious spellcraft, indeed.

: I don't know anything about that. This curse is like a blindfold. I feel like I'm wearing a leaden suit of armor that grows heavier with each step. What business is it of yours?

: Everything concerns me. The curse grows heavier because it absorbs the Reaping-sapping its power. That's why I'm so interested. But you won't last long at this rate. As for your blindness.. we'll put it to the test, soon enough.

Now we know this curse is lowering the Reaping's power due to the constant "give into the curse" dialogue boxes. It seems Hopper is lying to Adna here.

: I don't know who this sorceress is!

I assume he's still lying to Adna, because he's met Chila.

: There must be a connection between you. Everything happens for a reason. I sensed her behind Friga's walls. But I couldn't get closer. She's much too strong to be a simple witch. Too strong, even, for the one I had initially taken her for.

: I don't know who you're referring to, but what did you want to ask her? Why is someone ruining your precious Reaping? Who's interfering with your plans and saving people from insanity?

: I told you, I don't care about wretched mortals-as long as they suffer and die when I need them to. The witch, on the other hand-she cares. That stumps me. Even you don't give a drat about humans!

:moreevil:

: I'm going to Opacum.

: Yes, I've heard of it. The only pure place left in Berkana. So far, that is. You've already chosen the right path. It was an easy choice to make. There was no other path laid out before you, after all.

I can't tell if she is breaking the fourth wall because we can't actually choose not to do this as a player, or what.

: You're plotting something too! Is Coronzon on your side? Why are you having everyone gather at Opacum? What's wrong with this Reaping? Answer me!

Ok, I think I'm beginning to see what the writers are actually going for here. There's gonna be a bonus update.

: I have nothing else to tell you, Adna.

NOW things are getting interesting. Why couldn't this have been in any of the prior chapters?

: I do not heal others. Many people believe this stone has healing powers. But there's a grave here with an inscribed tombstone. Perhaps it relates to death. And erasing the inscription is no easy task; the stone itself would have to be crushed.

: What do you need me for then? You have the stone and the inscription. Read it. You'll see for yourself that it's gibberish.

: I can't read it, Blance. If I could, I wouldn't be waiting for you here. You need to read the inscription now. If you don't, someone close to you will die, and you'll have to go to Opacum alone. By the way, I have news of your Amma-or is she no longer "your" Amma?

: Whatever you say. What else do you want from me? Can I go now? What were you going to say about Amma?

: You're looking for a squad led by someone called Thorn, aren't you? You may still catch him-even overtake him, if you put your mind to it. I don't know why this witch drives you to Opacum, but I advise you make it to the fort. It'll be a sight to behold.

: Her prophecies aren't set in stone...

Oh come the gently caress on! Adna's right there!

: I need you Blance. Come here.

: I'm, uh, saving myself for marriage. Do you know the plot of this game?

: You and I both know the writers won't let us get away with that. Why don't you tell me what you know?

: Some witch cursed me to wander around and solve riddles. I have no idea who it is, or why.

: Curious. I had thought the witch was Childao the Reaper, but she beat me in an offscreen cutscene fight. I see that curse is messing with the Reaping.

: Uh, you're being cryptic. Anyway, we're all going to Opacum. Do you know why?

: Excuse me, you're a mere messenger of the gods. You don't get to talk to me like that. Do you think you have free will? That you're human? That you can choose?

: *The point makes a complete whistling noise as it goes over his head*: I'm a real boy!

: I have no idea who that witch is now, but she clearly executes the will of the gods, and we need to listen. That's why I'm here. We need to read this tombstone for the next riddle.

: Oh come on!

: Anyway, Amma's headed to Opacum. You'd better get going too, or you'll miss the final boss fight. Good-bye, and go with God.

So I've given this game a lot of poo poo for being a stupid mystery box, and I'm still making fun of it, but Adna is laying the game's cards all out on the table here. There is actual meat to this conversation, and for once it's not the authors just trying to write one-handed about prostitute battle arenas or explain how grimdark everything is with Dorpkhal eating babies.

The riddles and the mysteries are not supposed to be a :lost: -esque pointless mystery box, they are a divine plan. Notice what Adna says here:

Adna so far has been the most human of the Reapers we've encountered. We've met Atraakh and Dorpkhal both wandering around as corpse-BDSM monsters, but we never see anything other than a human face from Adna. She is not a corpse-monster pretending to be a god leading a false religion like Atraakh, she is in this instance simply a divine messenger. She makes the requisite grimdark motions about torturing people but at the end of the day she lets Ake and friends go.

Of course, there's one thing that doesn't quite square with this.

Earlier in the game posted:

Now I've earlier jumped ahead from the clues the game leaves to reveal (far too early) that she's the Reaper Childao, but her earlier dialogue about having no master doesn't add up with Adna revealing her as a servant of the gods. We do actually have a way to resolve this contradiction.

I'm sorry I have to bring this moment up again posted:

I bring this up not to mock the evil god eating children, but to point out that gods can possess Umbra. Chila is God. It's not clear which god she is but judging from Atraakh's 'the gods' spiel I think she's native to Terminum. You'll note she's very big on mercy and saving others even in this grimdark horrorshow - because the entire apocalypse is a test to see whether mankind (and, by extension, Hopper) deserves to survive. Hopper is an angel saddled with the burdens of a mortal - he now has only one life and every day that passes brings him closer to death, and the only way out is to have faith in God and follow Her commands.

It's very Christlike, in a way - Hopper's suffering reduces the burden on all mankind, and despite my mocking the game for being on rails, this is the one choice we do get to make. If we reject the burden, the Reaping rises to become the literal triumph of evil.

Essentially, the difference between Ash of Gods and Banner Saga is that they're telling the same story but with very different worldviews. Banner Saga is based off pagan Norse myths, and salvation comes not from the dead gods but from the strength of mortals who struggle against the darkness.

Ash of Gods is a similar story right down to the characters, but it takes the Christian worldview that mankind cannot be saved through works alone, and must earn the salvation of God through good works.

I will break the update here - I have more to say on the subject, but I want to hear some opinions from the thread before going into more of this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is Hopper's Amma Chilado by another name, someone else in Thorn's party I've forgotten about, or something we don't know yet?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Has a mystery box story ever actually worked?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Bruceski posted:

Is Hopper's Amma Chilado by another name, someone else in Thorn's party I've forgotten about, or something we don't know yet?

Amma is the Umbra Hopper met waaaaaaay back in the beginning. Hopper gave her his knife. Now it turns out she started the Eikons and is with Lo Pheng. She's a normal Umbra and not a Reaper.

I think Adna's powers make sense in that reapers aren't by nature murder machines but instead servants of gods. Also kind of funny to see a Reaper who isn't all blood and skulls.

I did not expect Chila to turn out to be a god. That makes sense and is an interesting idea though this makes her a real rear end in a top hat though.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 4, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hypocrisy posted:

Amma is the Umbra Hopper met waaaaaaay back in the beginning. Hopper gave her his knife. Now it turns out she started the Eikons and is with Lo Pheng. She's a normal Umbra and not a Reaper.

I think Adna's powers make sense in that reapers aren't by nature murder machines but instead servants of gods. Also kind of funny to see a Reaper who isn't all blood and skulls.

I did not expect Chila to turn out to be a god. That makes sense and is an interesting idea though this makes her a real rear end in a top hat though.

I feel the need to point out is that this is entirely my interpretation.

I can't read Russian, so I don't actually have the ability to read that "Shadows of Gods" novel this is supposedly based off of or related to.

It's entirely possible either Adna or Chila is completely full of poo poo. I think my interpretation makes thematic sense as our two lady Reapers are the most human of the four that we've seen, and Tibibar is a complete non-entity, who, spoiler alert, doesn't appear in the story at all.

You could make the equally valid argument that Adna is trying to play both sides. Remember, she loaned Nakoma her power and Nakoma is talking about rewarding Hopper with power. Is he full of poo poo? Maybe, we haven't seen any indication that he's particularly trustworthy as he orders Lo Pheng to slaughter his own men.

There are a lot of things the game doesn't answer that seem important but get abandoned like Walt on :lost:. What was the Divine Retribution? According to Hopper it was caused by them killing Terminum Jesus a third time. Was it the first invasion of the Umbra and Enses? Did the native gods of Terminum fight the Calz gods? If the mad god is here, what happened to the other four Calz gods?

None of the Christian allegory stuff is in any of the supplements and is solely my interpretation of the text.

That said, if you search the internet for "Ash of Gods story" you get a ton of people completely confused as to what the hell is going on.

Seriously, any posters or lurkers or Russian speakers (Mightypeon, help!) who want to contest my interpretation would be greatly appreciated.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Fanart Contest!

So I announced a fanart contest a while back which will be arbitrarily judged by me for a free forum upgrade. The prompt was to depict the most "Ash of Gods" moment in the game. Here are our entries!

professor metis depicts Thorn trying to figure out if Chila is manipulating him or not.

fluffyDeathbringer depicts Fisk reaching out for support to an appropriate corner of the internet.

bruceski accurately portrays the process of selecting a dialogue option in this game.

solitair reconstructs the moments leading to the death of Tenner

Also from solitair, the feared Thorn Brenin doofus jump.

And the winner is....

I'm not gonna lie, these are all pretty great. I'm gonna give it to fluffyDeathbringer because I think he captures the game's pointless misery pretty well, but these were all great entries that had me in stitches.

Post in the thread what upgrade you want fluffyDeathbringer and I'll figure out how to get it to you.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 3, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I'd have picked bruceski myself, but thanks! I'd like to thank the academy

for my update: archives, please

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hopper Rouley and the Unreliable Narration

When we last left Hopper, he was grappling with the revelation that this was a divine plan as opposed to a completely pointless mystery box.

: You take one final look around in case Adna's been hiding somewhere in the ruins. You step onto the bridge, stoop down and touch the menhir's wet edge. You feel a rush of exhilaration and strength, but your hand remains black. The Water Menhir can't cure everything, but at least it's not full of poison.

: "I take it we're not resting here?" Ake asks, as he mounts his horse. "It's a fine spot, but spooky. My ears are ringing, I've never cared much for sorcery, personally. Shall we get going?"

: "You cannot see me, but I'm still here," she hisses. "I have a message for you from that witch. 'Find those loathed by all and you will know all that was and all that will be; all that could have been and all that can be.' That's all she said, which, in turn, I tell you-purely out of curiosity. The unknown entices me."

Someone, somewhere has tried to hit on Adna by eluding to an unknown in their pants.

So now that that's done with, I feel the need to mention another franchise that had a mystery box divine plan.

That franchise is, of course, the new Battlestar Galactica reboot (spoilers). The ending of the series reveals that all of these events - the human-Cylon war among them - were put into motion by God and that the wacky Number 6 Cylon lady that lived in Baltar's head was actually an angel sent by God. I have never before seen an angel that horny. Nevertheless, it was received not as a masterful stroke of plotting but as a desperate attempt by the writers to conceal the fact that they were making crap up as they went.

I will leave it to the discerning and impartial reader to determine which is true of Ash of Gods.

Back on the road again...

Give in, weaken stats, blah blah blah.

Get ready for idiocy!

: Approach the mob.

: You easily catch up to the captain, introduce yourself and present the papers bestowed by Prince Treeg and the Temple. At your request, Jordin reviews them and sighs. "Your papers are in order. Go on, have your little chat. Should you try pulling something-no magic's going to save you!"

: The girl's ropes come loose and you're buffeted by a freezing flurry. Awesome power is no doubt concealed within her! All but you and the witch are petrified like statues. Thusa smiles. "Don't be afraid. I won't do anything to you. For now, at least. I've merely something to ask. Deal? Just promise to speak truthfully."

: Accept her trial.

What Hopper fails to understand is that this is a cutscene and he's gonna get owned if we don't take number 1. What I fail to understand is this game's witch fetish. Did a Wiccan lady have a one-night stand with the lead writer that was so amazing he fell in love with her and keeps putting powerful witches in this game so he can hear from her again, maybe?

Now there are plenty of answers to this. "Gleda" comes to mind, as she has shown no magical ability whatsoever. "Liki Brenin" is another possible answer.

Come to think of it, Hopper doesn't interact with women much does he?

Oh. Now, you might be tempted to pick "Unda" because she's Philia's alias...or Chila's...or some stupid poo poo. The correct answer is "Philia." You don't remember Philia? How could you?

We went to her house and she spouted mystical bullshit at us. She's gonna become super important depending on our endgame choices!

I...what?

: If you'll keep quiet, I'll tell you this-there is no Unda. Never has there been one. I did all the healing. "Unda" was a kind of... scarecrow. I fed the citizens rumors of the witch, so most people avoided my house. That's all I really wanted.

Philia has been deliberating encouraging people to conflate her with a witch. If this is still a Christian allegory, this is like Aslan asking Edmund about the diet of lions before he'll agree to get on the Stone Table.

You should join our party so you can avoid being tied up by random men and because that hour-long mass paralysis spell is amazing.

Unless you're into that, but Mushom is into some kinky poo poo and wouldn't take much convincing.

I take the wolf track, because I know we won't get attacked by wolves. The developers are on record as saying it was too expensive to animate wolves (apparently all the combat animations are motion capture) and that's why enemy diversity is so awful in this game.

I scoff at the political worldbuilding because it doesn't matter to the story, but the religious stuff seems like it's necessary for understanding the plot.

: Try to explain.

: You smile. "No, the Triune doesn't have a special sign. Some call it 'three corners' or 'a zigzag.' Some don't have a name for it. You simply press three fingers-symbolizing the triple menhir-first to the forehead, then to the lips, then to the heart. It means 'I remember, I praise, I love'. Or: 'I think, I preserve, I keep'. Whichever you prefer.

This sounds suspiciously not like the Calz gods.

: Ake shakes his head in frustration. "Don't muddy the waters! Who do you remember, praise, and love? What do you think about, preserve, and keep? What in blazes does it all mean?"

Huh? Is Miketh an Umbra, or some native angel dude?

It's funny because Ake's dumb, see. Also it's funny because it doesn't jive with literally anything we've been told.

What's the point of this little digression? Is there someone out there playing a visual novel inspired game who doesn't want to read? Is this just trying to convince the nerd audience that they're special and cool for opening a drat book?

Oh no. I don't like where number 2 is going.

: What use, you ask... Listen, then.

: (Angrily) In the year ninety-three, during the Battle of the Southern Isles, the Isanan king held his fleet back and didn't finish off the Pallians. Do you want to know why? The king had studied the Battle of Datter and knew the Pallians' secret signals. They planned to lure the Berkan navy into the sharp reefs!

: (Even angrier) Compare, then! Look for clues-discover and study! Otherwise, don't complain when you're served a pile of bullshit on a silver platter. When will you finally learn that your memories are like roots? Without them, the tree falls. I'll never understand humans.

FOURTH WALL BREACH! ALERT! BATTLE STATIONS!

: Can you trust in books? No more than you can trust people.

: (Firmly) Trust no one but yourself. Books are like people. One may lie-another may speak the truth. Verify for yourself. Kings always glorify themselves, criminals hide their crimes, and commanders hide their cowardice. There are so many books, and by comparing them, you get closer to the truth. Read!

...How are you supposed to do this in a medieval society without a printing press? This is a wonderful message for our modern industrial society where you can grab books from stores by the armload, but rare books aren't just out of print after making 20,000 copies, there may only be one Necronomicon in existence.

There is also the interpretation that this is a meta-commentary and you need to carefully scrutinize all the characters' dialog to figure out what the hell is going on.

The funny thing is that Ake being able to read at all sets him head and shoulders above your average medieval peasant, but it's being portrayed in the very modern tone of "the dumb sports man doesn't like books."

: I need your story, Ake.

: (Irritated) I noticed that you don't like people, Hopper-even when you help them. It's like you're watching it all from a carriage window, covering your nose with a handkerchief when the stench gets too thick. Who are you, drat it?!

: (Lowering his voice) What's to like, Ake? The fact that you kill each other? That you whip your children to death? Beat your wives? Crowd in to watch your brethren being tortured? Grab everything you can, just for the sake of having more? Tell me, what's there to like?

"I only murdered children to enable mass suicide while killing people so I can possess their bodies!"

:drat:

: Let's end this conversation.

: You know the answers already. You're mad at yourself, not me-no matter who I really am. You're right about one thing-I've no reason to like people. But that doesn't mean I want them dead.

: (Smirking) Well, I don't wish the piglet dead either, but I do enjoy my pork roast! A word of warning, Hopper; mercenaries are the first to desert.

: Why do you read books like a nerd? You're a fuckin nerd Hopper. I bet you never got laid cuz you were reading books like a nerd!

: Actually, I'm gonna give you some worldbuilding. Who's the nerd now, huh? Who's the nerd now?

: Books are fuckin stupid Hopper! I have to read some dumb monk's lovely handwriting! I hate it!

: Let me tell you about unreliable narrators, Ake! Literally anyone could be lying to you right now! All of the characters in this game could be spewing bullshit! That's right, player! If you don't nitpick every word and interaction in this game, you'll have no idea what's going on! Any of us could be lying! I COULD BE LYING RIGHT NOW! And you'd never know this without books cuz you're dumb, Ake!

: Geez, man, why do you hate humans so much?

: Humans are bad because they are mean to each other.

: gently caress you! I know you're one of those assholes from the prologue! That stupid suicide explosion killed 9 out of every 10 households on the planet! You killed a guy and are riding him like a meat puppet! You're so full of poo poo you could be used as a prototype sewage system from Ursus!

: You're still dumb.

We get another curse power check. I omit it because you've seen it far too often.

Hopper Rouley: incredibly full of poo poo.

: Talk to the Ense.

I have no idea how this stupid spell mind controlling the Enses works anymore, and I don't care. I'm willing to buy Hopper knows more about it than Reet does (he was probably there when it was made), so sure.

: "I recognize you too, Blance the herald-though you've changed," Harlow immediately responds. "I see that you have a body now. I don't know what happened to Calz, but fire doesn't turn all things to ash. I'm serving a cause. You know what that means. You, too, are a servant, or aren't you anymore? Will you let us pass?"

: You nod and step away from the road. "I let you pass only because you talked to me," you tell Harlow as the squad goes by. "He who listens, will one day hear."

I guess we don't need Thusa if Hopper can cast AoE sleep too.

Why can't he do this in combat, again?

: Ake raises himself in the stirrups-arms skyward-and exclaims, "O blessed Opacum! Never have you been conquered by the enemy! Never was your gate smashed asunder! Never have you greeted a Reaper within! We've made it, Blance! Frisians are not yet here!"

Ake's no longer on board with pretending Hopper is in any way a regular dude. Good on him.

: Ake can't seem to calm down. "Let them! When I don't have my full strength, nor my armor, I'm not too good a fighter. Could it be the same with Reapers? Do they look like normal humans and live normal lives between Reapings?"

: You smile, alertly. "If only you knew how right you are, Ake. However, Reapers can easily change themselves before you can put on your armor and ready your sword. So, let's first get inside the fortress, shall we? Hope we can manage that."

This is Brann and Liki's father and Thorn's father-in-law.

: Yes, Your Grace! Not exactly sure what the cardinal told you. We've been sent after Thorn Brenin. Been in hot pursuit since Albius. I'm not squad commander, though. Here he is-Baron Hopper Rouley of Raydona.

: We've been following him, Your Grace.

: He dropped by Friga looking for your grandson, but we don't know if he succeeded. There're many ways to Opacum from there. Perhaps we managed to outpace him.

: Is Coronzon waiting for your granddaughter in the fort, too?

: Why would he? What would a Temple servant need from my granddaughter? As far as I understand, he's here waiting for the newly-crowned Treeg. Although, I've no idea why a Jeranan ruler would come here at all.

: I am sorry, Your Grace, it's just that Cardinal Coronzon has been quite upset over her fate.

: Will you let us stay in the fortress?

: Well, you can stay, if you're not afraid of the three legions of Frisians coming here from the Berkanan highway. Though keep i mind, the food and water supply's only meant for the fortress' defenders.

Insert tired joke about lack of editing here.

: I think we're all ready to defend your fortress, Count. You should know, I'm quite a skillful healer-and I can handle a sword well.

Incidentally, "Your Grace" is a form of address for dukes, not counts. The correct form of address for a Count appears to be "Lord X".

: The only thing for us to do is await your orders.

: Less talking, healer. Don't rely on me to find you a job. Look for something to do. That applies to you too, Ake.

: Cool fort.

: Aww, I thought you guys were my family.

: Is that Coronzon guy looking for Gleda?

: Uh, no, but we are waiting for Prince Treeg!

: Can we stay in the fort?

: Sure, but if you don't work, you don't eat!

As you might guess, Opacum is the endgame site where all three of our parties come together for the thrilling conclusion.

I'll break the update here as Thorn's misadventures are gonna get special.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 4, 2019

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Just read the whole thing so far and thank you for the summaries. I'm not 100% sure what's going on but I'll give the plot one more try when the whole thing's done. It's got some charm underneath the grimderp.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Thorn Brenin and the Surprise Witch

For instance, I can't control that the thread didn't vote to kill this party in Ursus.

I'm not going to lie, the first thing I did was check out whether Mact had a unique class. Turns out he does!

So let's talk about Mact.

: Mact has Thorn's parry skill, the warrior's onslaught skill that burns health to do a ton of damage and knockback, and a self-healing skill that buffs the entire party's defense and can be upgraded to turn it into a small full-party heal. His passive is that he gets 1 attack everytime one of your team members go down, which sucks, but weirdly he can get 2 attack on every levelup to a cap of +10. He burns through his energy bar fast but can actually take a few hits.

Oh, yes, we have 3 campfire conversations. Let's talk with our son first.

: About mother. About being proud of my father. About Gleda becoming such a beautiful woman. Also about the fact that Mother would have been proud of her family.

: Good. We'll make it to Opacum and fight the good fight for all of Berkana, while you rest and recuperate. Your grandfather will see to that.

: You don't really think I'm spending the whole war lying in bed, do you? You're not getting rid of me that easy, Father!

: It won't, Mact. We're in for a long war-and a long Reaping.

: Your mother would give her life for you.

: Hasn't she, though? How'd she die?

This is a blatant lie - we know she was murdered by one of Thorn's servants. I'm not sure if Thorn is saying that she went nuts in the Reaping or lying to Mact by claiming it was a peaceful death.

Gleda is right over there and could tell her brother otherwise.

: This war isn't about to loosen its grip on us.

: Now we need to make it to your grandfather...

: I can already picture him babysitting me, constantly listening... I can only hope my terrible uncle isn't around.

So Mact is this game's Egil where killing him off is surprisingly easy and you get an achievement if he lives.

: Well, I'm looking forward to talking to you again.

: I hope you aren't making a goody two-shoes out of me, at least.

: Woo! Family! Yea!

: Son, this is Ash of Gods. It is very grimdark, and your mother died in the Reaping.

: I can fight too!

: Just stay safe. We'll be going to visit Grandpa, but we will avoid Brann because he blows so hard he was nearly converted into a wind turbine. Now go get me some grandkids.

Now, I bet nobody remembers this guy. His entire gimmick is that he never knew his father but had a mysterious benefactor preparing him for something. Then Drooket gave him Hopper's Reaper-killing knife from the prologue. Are you ready for the resolution?

Specifically Adna will kill his rear end.

: What's in the bundle?

: Dunno. Something heavy. Either stone or iron. Feels like a knife.

: Did you open the locket?

: No. Don't want to. What if I cross paths with a mind-reading menace? I can't get manipulated if I don't know what's inside.

Maybe you idiots could talk to Skoor, Ramlin, or Vai? No?

: Alright. Not tormenting you any longer, Brett.

: You're not tormenting me, Captain. I'm tormenting myself. And the Reaping torments all of us-as does the unspoken will leading us throughout Berkana.

HEY! What did I or the thread ever do to you?

You just told Mact it was going to be a long Reap- whatever.

: Hey is Drooket your dad?

: Dunno. Maybe? I was told not to talk about my dad as he had mighty enemies.

: What's in the box?

: Dunno. Maybe that stone knife from the prologue?

: Did you open the locket?

: What if I run into aliens who read my mind?

: Good point. The end is nigh! Soon we will know the truth!

Anyway, last of these fireside chats for now.

: Isn't it a bit early for you to prepare for death?

: Truth be told, I'm still amazed I've stayed alive for so long. We've been face to face with the enemy many times, and there is still much more to come. Hope you don't regret letting me into your squad.

: Want to tell me something?

Yea, remember how the narrator was insistent Helm was untrustworthy and we should kill him? I remember.

: Are you worried about something?

God drat! Helm is the smartest guy in this party! He is 100 percent correct as Chila literally showed up at the opening of the game to troll Gleda.

Ok, I will admit I actually like the "served at the table" line. Sue me.

: I'm not much a fan of idle chatter, Helm.

: Well, I may not talk much... But if I don't say all I have to say before I kick the bucket, I won't leave even a single memory behind-nary an echo.

: Well, you've shared your tale and I remember you. Now, I won't ever forget. Still, what will become of your story if my life ended tomorrow?

: I don't believe there's an end to life, Thorn. Not because I fear heresy, or the posthumous judgement the Temple servants preached about. I just don't.

: Quit staring at me.

: Can I give you my backstory bomb before I die?

: Sure.

: I owe you my life. I was about to hide in the boat, but instead of executing me you gave me a sword and had me fight. I'll never forget it.

: Ohh, you're that guy.

: Also, word of advice - remember that hag Skoor and I warned you about? She's manipulating the poo poo out of us dude.

: Huh. Oh well, may as well wait and see. Try not to die, Helm!

So I'm getting kinda worried about our strix count because we have such a large party. The Wonder Twins mysteriously disappeared on us, so we have a bit of leeway.

Aw, poo poo.

: Here it is! You're still under investigation, Thorn. Something's not quite right about what happened to Stein in Albius. Everyone else was pardoned-no questions asked. You have nothing to worry about. We had no other choice.

Stein made it out alive though? He just got awkwardly written out of the plot after being forced into Hopper's party. Was this supposed to be Tenner?

What I didn't realize in my haste to deliver to you thread readers Ash of Gods quality dialog is that most of these options lower Hode's loyalty. Oh well, he can live on the bench because he's not part of the Circlejerk Crew.

: You're oddly well after such a serious injury.

: Some sorcery played a part. FIrst, Philia used a healing spell on me- or so I'm told. Then some mage-or scribe-brought me to my senses. I paid a very steep price, though. My nanny gave her life for me.

: Why are you alone? Where's your escort?

: Yeah, they wouldn't let me go-with or without a squad. So... I ran away again. They've probably organized a search by now.

Goddammit Hode.

: Any news from Berkana?

: What news is there? Just the Reaping...and war. Friga is to be abandoned. Our scouts have spotted Frisian legions in the Vale of Mercy, preparing to attack Opacum. We have to hurry. And now that my grandfather is dead, my father is Jerana's king.

: We could talk forever, but we must be on our way.

: Let's go then. I've no intention of becoming your group's new leader, Thorn. Just think of me as a common soldier.

: Surprise! Here's a pardon! Except you Thorn, the writers confused Tenner and Stein? I have no idea, I just deliver the pardons.

: Weren't you dying?

: It's cool, Hopper saved me although my nanny had to die for it.

: Why are you here alone? You're a prince, doesn't that rate an escort?

: Yeah, I ran away again, selfishly putting all of you in legal jeopardy with my father who is now king.

: gently caress.

Anyway, we have a surprise waiting for us when we hit Friga. That arrow on the map is Dorpkhal's mind controlled army.

: This deluge of people is unending. Everyone walks with their heads down, as if they're sleeping. No military governors or sergeants are in sight-no songs or arguing can be heard. You have to stop your squad and hide to avoid being noticed.

: Skoor looks around apprehensively. "It's sorcery, Thorn!" he whispers in frustration. "Vile, horrible sorcery! Feel that pumping in your temples? If we get any closer, we'll all become mindless cattle, dancing to our shepherd's tune! Although... there is a way out."

Unlike Thorn, Skoor is actually good at things.

: Defer to Skoor.

: You hear some cryptic words-and the noise in your head begins to quiet. You lead a squad inside the circle of wet rope. "Move quickly, but stay calm," you whisper. "Don't look them in the eye. Blend in, and slowly make your way to the forest."

: "Don't look anyone in the eye," Skoor whispers loudly. "Especially the guide. Someone's controlling them. They're all under some sort of horrible hex that's slowly taking control. Quiet now! The guide is almost here!"

So yea. That's our first encounter with Dorpkhal after six chapters. We hide.

Isn't this a satisfying narrative?

Let's go see a bear.

: Tristan satisfies your curiosity. Laughing, he says that in the end times, when the Reaping is raging, you should abandon your worldly possessions, take to the road, and help the poor souls who are losing faith. He rests his hand on the hilt of his sword and casually asks if you're ready to praise the gods and ask them for forgiveness. Will you join the sacred choir?

I don't think he understands that Thorn is a less intelligent and more violent Richard Dawkins.

: Turn down the heretic's offer outright.

See that strix count? We have nearly twenty guys. We're not looking for a fight, we just want to be on our way.

Actually, come to think of it, we have nearly 20 guys and they have like six. Why are they attacking us?

Or Thorn could praise it in the stupidest way possible, yes.

That is not as many strixes as I would have liked.

: Share an interesting story.

Oh my god. It's the magic jizz story. Telling everyone about how we got the magic jizz raises party morale by 10%.

Ok let's go to the water menhir and see what silliness awaits us there.

: Skoor leaps off his mount, grabs the reins and grumbles. "Where is this menhir? From what I've heard, it's supposed to be on an island, but all I see are ruins. Do we have to grope every stone now? I'm not going into the water! I cannot swim! And I hate it when it's wet!"

That last line leaves open so many jokes about Skoor's bad sex life.

: Still grumbling, Skoor steps onto the bridge, slips on the wet moss, and all but falls into a mud hole. Instead of swearing, he lets out a cry of joy. "It's under our feet! And it's clean! I stepped on it-and I didn't die! Just felt better!"

: Urge your companions to touch the menhir.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS! This is a full party heal, which we kinda need right now. Skoor got healed but I missed the screenshot.

: You and your companions grope underwater for the cold menhir. When you touch it, relief washes over you, taking away all your pain and worries. By the looks on your companions' faces, they are experiencing the same feeling.

Holy poo poo! This is the first actual power we've seen Gleda use! Remember, Adna couldn't read this but Hopper could.

Oh, no.

: Mact steps forward. "Father, I can't explain it, but he sounds like Drooket! He's not at all like Mabok!"

If you haven't guessed, Qarbaph, the Umbra who used to be Drooket, found and possessed Mabok here. This is why we had a climactic battle with farm laborers.

: (Opening the locket) That's right! That's my mother's name and portrait! Where did Drooket get this locket? And how did you learn of it?

: So you're not a cannibal? Who are you then?

: Trust me, the Mabok that was taunting you no longer exists. All that's left is this monstrous vessel before you. It serves... Drooket's sorcery. I bet that the Mabok of the White Tower has never heard of Brett's mother.

: What do you know about Brett's father?

: I know quite a bit. Brett himself knows bits and pieves. His father always remembered his son and the woman who had borne him. Brett's desire to meet his father equaled his father's pain of not being able to let it happen.

: Who is threatening him?

: Is there anything that Brett should know?

: You cannot go past the Water Menhir. This is the only place where you can cleanse yourself from the abominable sorcery that saturates the woods. You can catch your breath here, but you need to get to Opacum quickly. It's a clean place; there, everything shall be decided. For now just toss me the knife.

: (Tossing him the package) Wait! What shall be decided in Opacum? You can't be talking about the war. We are no army; what can we do? Why do I have a feeling that something is driving me and my daughter to Opacum?

: So I know I look like that developmentally challenged cannibal guy, but it's me, Drooket!

: What.

: Brett, I know your father very well. He wishes he could have been a good dad, but the Reapers would have hunted you down and killed you if he had. I'm going to do that cryptic thing where we all know I'm your father but don't want to tell you poo poo. Now, despite the fact that Reapers are after you, please give me the only weapon that can kill them.

: Uh, here you go!

: Now, you guys better get to Opacum if you want to be here for the end of the game!

: Someone is manipulating the gently caress out of us.

And for once we go right back to the dialogue zone.

This seems out of order, but OK?

: Ask him about the things Drooket told you.

This is weird, because usually these options are the words verbatim, but what do I know?

: You've almost made a meal of me, Vandil, but I have to ask... Drooket, my mentor, he once told me that I should ask questions when in doubt. Have you any idea why he'd tell me that?

: (Smiling) If you ask a question, you might receive an answer-if not, you get nothing. Do not let anyone but your father know what you've just learned.

Smart kid.

Now back to the dialogue zone a THIRD time...

Huh, it's Adna. According to the steam guide, the last vote we had should determine whether Adna or Atraakh shows up here, and you guys voted for Atraakh. Oh well, not complaining.

: What do you want, Adna? I go where I will. It is not your place to tell me who I should meddle with.

Actually, it was very much Adna's job back in the day.

Decisions lie before us!

This one should have more immediate consequences. Are we going to be confused, or are we going to tell Adna to go gently caress herself? Choose wisely!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It was almost touching when Brett finally met his father. Almost because I forgot Brett existed. And yeah, holy moly does Thorn have a ton of people with him. It's easy to forget since most aren't talking but drat.

I vote we play dumb. Thorn and friends aren't even allowed to look at Reapers.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

play dumb, except it's not really playing, because thorn is dumb

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
i didn't see nothing, officer

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Alright, I need one more vote before the next update.

Can Thorn admit he's wrong or will we tell Adna to gently caress herself finally?

EDIT: Misread guide, ignore this!

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 8, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

confusion is always the in-character choice

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hopper Rouley and the Plot of this Game

When we last left Thorn Brenin's inept self he was determining what sweet nothings he should whisper to the lovely Adna.

professor metis posted:

play dumb, except it's not really playing, because thorn is dumb

The thread unanimously voted that Thorn is a dumbass and I can't argue with their logic.

: I don't understand what you are talking about.

Incidentally, this is the correct choice. Sassing Adna means she instantly cutscene kills Mact. What, you did all the poo poo to get the secret character by accident? Joke's on you! Rogue-like storytelling!

: The one who could understand has already sped off to see a new body. He should be grateful-I rid him of such an ugly hulk. It will not do him any good, mind you. Nor you-unless you hide in Opacum. It's going to get dangerous here very soon.

: But won't it also be dangerous in Opacum? Or are you saying the Reaping has no power over it? And just why are you so concerned about us anyway?

Goddammit. Look, I know I keep harping on the writing of this game, but this game has no other gameplay than read the worlds and engaging its awful, awful combat system. We've established combat is bad and you just need to use the one true strategies to cheese it. This isn't something where I can forgive bad writing because the gameplay is good, reading all of this crap is central to the intended Ash of Gods experience.

Whatever. I owe you a summary.

: Ok, which of you assholes came from Drooket's dick? Which one of you let Mabok get killed for this?

: I have no idea what you're talking about! Babies don't come from dicks!

: Ugh, fine. You guys better get to Opacum?

: Uh, why do you care?

: Look, I live in the woods and I have nothing better to do, OK? Now fight these guys.

Oh, yes, I missed a few dialog options between Mact and Drooket last update. If anyone is dying to see them I can update, but it's just Thorn and Mact arguing over whether Mabok is an evil cannibal or Drooket in disguise.

I mentioned this before but the twins disappeared.

This battle is kinda tricky as Gells here get a +1 attack boost for every one of them that dies. This is much better as the AI because they're gonna be losing troops (hopefully) more than you. They cannot stand against the Thorn Brenin Doofus Jump Buff Circlejerk, however, and die as they lived.

Cool, a few more days of strixes before we gotta start taking injuries!

: Gleda steps over Mabok's body, takes the package clutched in his hand and gives it to Brett. Then she straightens up and looks you in the eye.

Again. Proofreaders.

It only took them this long to question it! Don't worry, we're going to figure out the entire Evil Plan this update!

Some of you might notice the update is titled after Hopper. This Lo Pheng chapter is incredibly short.

: Support Amma.

: You stop to wait for Amma, then, nodding courteously, take her by the arm. You immediately feel a terrible weight pressing down on you. Your vision goes dark, and you can barely hold on to consciousness.

What the hell did Hopper ever see in this woman? Seriously, she's awful!

: You turn to hear the sound of hooves approaching. A band of Berkanan soldiers rounds the bend. They're obviously being pursued.

This is still a Lo Pheng, battle, so we know what that means.

You can't actually double stack Cloud Tower, but the preview is funny.

Anyway, Lo Pheng baits with Cloud Tower, Khama and the girls massacre the left sight Gells (blocked by the UI), and we get:

Turns out Lo Pheng is still an extremely dangerous badass.

: Reet rushes to the wounded man before you can ask. She kneels beside him, then waves to you reassuringly. "He's alive! He's bleeding, but not much. No need to worry! The Gells got it much worse. I'll help him."

Wow, the game just decided to throw all the good characters into Lo Pheng's path, I see.

: Show respect to the prince.

: You nod. "I'm honored I've been able to help the royal house of Isana."

: Hederlig gestures apologetically. "Well, you're the first Eikon I've ever seen, I just have one question-how can I repay your kindness?"

: Reet looks at you, then at Hederlig. "Your Highness, we need to get to Opacum. We're escorting a woman... a healer. She's heading to the dead menhir."

That is an interesting description of Amma as she has no regard for human life and is pretty much out for herself right now.

I can't fault Reet for saying this as our last heart-to-heart with her was "I don't trust Amma at all", and telling Hederlig we're being browbeaten into escorting a crazy witch won't go over well.

: Should a warrior flee from the enemy?

: Is Opacum the only safe place?

: What is Berkana going to do about it?

: I have no further questions.

: I'll ask her about it.

: As soon as she can speak, Your Highness. She's indeed knowledgeable, but she is exhausted from travelling. Your man is only lightly wounded and will recover soon enough. Oh, your guards are finally looking for you!

I can't even blame him for being mad, those guards wandered off and left him at the mercy of strangers.

If any of them mentions a magic hag casting a sleep spell I swear...

: Thanks for the save! Eikons own! Got any questions?

: You guys gonna do anything about this war?

: Yea, we're going to go to Opacum, the invincible fortress that has never fallen, and stop all the bad guys there. Can you ask Amma to heal my boyfriend?

: With all due respect, that's a scratch and I don't want to deal with Amma. He's gonna be fine.

: Oh, look, the TOTAL FUCKUPS who were supposed to be MY BODYGUARDS are here! Whatever. To Opacum!

And yea, we get instantly teleported to Opacum the next time we see Lo Pheng.

We are really close to endgame, folks!

Welcome to Opacum. Are you ready for PLOT?

The menhir is labeled "The mystery of the lifeless sacred stone is gnawing at your mind. You should have a look at it."

So we do.

: A short distance from the gate, you see the mysterious rock jutting out of the ground like a black fang. You've been to Opacum many times, and every time you've stood here, admiring the ominous, lifeless menhir and the white ruins, smashed and pushed into the ground beneath it. Over the centuries, the menhir has become part of the wall, while the white boulders have practically disappeared. In fact, all you can see is a single cracked lintel which used to rest on a row of columns.

: Someone stands behind you, not too close, not too far either. Only for a moment you believe that it's Amma, your lost and estranged love. Listening carefully, you realize that it's someone else, familiar yet different. She has come to speak to you, and it's not a conversation you can avoid.

Remember when I said she was gonna be important?

: (Irritated) I wouldn't have! But your mother drove me here with promises, riddles, and cunning! She even cursed me! Just who is your mother?

Wait.

Chila, the Reaper Childao, had a kid? With a human, presumably?

Just who is getting redeemed?

What the fuuuuuuuuuuu

: This is the least of my concerns at the moment. Tell me. can I be rid of the curse in Opacum or not?

"No no the cryptic bullshit is for you to figure out. I just work here."

: Why are you here? Where are my secret words? Are they on the menhir? There's nothing? Where's the stone I'm supposed to read?

: You've come to the right place, Blance, but you are looking the wrong way. The words you need are on the white stone, which is much more ancient than the menhir crushing it. Come closer and you'll see.

Is it me, or is Philia really rubbing it in?

: I've studied the ruins of the ancient chapel a thousand times and I've never seen a single word inscribed on them! Who could have done it? The Opacum guards keep a close watch on the menhir, even though it's been dead for a thousand years.

: (Looking at the stone) Yes, I see an inscription. It wasn't there before. "...because you carry misfortune within you."

: Because you carry misfortune within you. You look dumbfounded. Is there anything else written on the stone?

This is the game telling us we got all the riddles. What does this get us? Keep reading to find out!

What the gently caress does any of this mean?

: Where's the seventh stone then? It all started with these instructions: "Follow the guiding one. Collect the seven parts of wisdom. Read this and be saved." Where is the seventh fragment? I'm in Opacum. There is nowhere else to go. My hand is black and my heart is wracked with pain.

gently caress this!

: Think... That's it? What am I supposed to do with this message? How can I save myself?

: (Handing over a package) I have nothing else to say. You can have your book back. Mother sends it with apologies for... borrowing it. Great power is held within, though not in the paper nor the binding.

Again, the only way this makes sense to me is as a Christian allegory where God (Chila) moves in mysterious ways. There's not really a reason Chila couldn't have just walked up to Hopper, said she was trying to stop the Reaping, and sent him to the 7 places to get stuff or even asked if he was willing to take the curse to weaken the Reaping. Remember, he still has no idea she's a nice Reaper - he even ran into her at the inn and didn't recognize her at all.

She even had golden eyes and everything.

: You want some of my Cryptic Bullshit Special, Hopper? My mother Chila helped me make it.

: Ok, stop. We have a riddle, right? Can you maybe tell me WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON? This is Chapter 8.

: Silly Hopper! That's not how mystic bullshit works! I don't even know what I'm talking about, and I'm saying it! Now look at the magic rock here! It's an even more ancient and magical rock than the one you first looked at!

: Wait, this is the whole riddle! Why couldn't I have just come here in the first place?

: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE WORDS

: gently caress this. After all this bullshit is over I'm taking my ball and going home.

Next up is Coronzon.

Dude, your fixation on a 16 year old girl is never going to not be creepy, especially when the game is playing the "Immabadguy" music.

: (Bowing) I followed him to Friga and looked for his trail on the roads leading to Opacum. I must have outpaced him, but I expect him to arrive by the end of the day, barring any accidents.

..Why is Hopper suddenly deferential? Before, he called Coronzon a murderer to his face. They're alone in this room, as far as I can tell.

: I hope you are not mistaken. Is it true that Thorn was pardoned? Unless he's done something insane since then, there will be a place for him on the walls of Opacum.

: Tell me, why are you still in Opacum? The Frisians are approaching. It's not like you to stay in a besieged fortress. Don't make excuses, I know that you consider bravery foolish.

This is...kind of important, but I make the choice for us anyway. More on this when we see the results.

: Are you still mad at Treeg?

Gee, is Coronzon a bad man who is bad?

: You owe me, Coronzon. Thanks to you, my whole arm has turned black. Tendrils of this darkness are crawling toward my heart. I ask of you, leave King Treeg be!

This stops Coronzon from trying to kill him, but hoo boy, Treeg pissed off a lot of people. Including me.

: Why do you request King Treeg? Since when do you take interest in officials? You normally protect the weak and the poor.

I don't get this. Literally every decision we've seen Treeg make has been bad and dumb.

: Why did you need Thorn?

: Need Thorn? What makes you think that? Did I say so? No, I don't really need him. I was just curious. It's not every day that you see someone who could withstand a Reaper.

Again, I don't see why Thorn is special. Kendi did the same drat thing. Lo Pheng actually beat Atraakh in a fight twice so bad he had to come whine to Hopper about it.

: Did you plan to test him yourself?

That's not ominous at all!

: What are they preparing to do in Opacum?

: What can you arrange in Opacum? It's a clean place Isn't that what it's called? As if the lands swept by the Reaping were filthy!

: The Umbra from Frisia did not focus on Opacum for no reason, did they?

: If you don't need me anymore, I'd like to take my leave.

gently caress you, Coronzon.

: My favorite badguy! How you been?

: Thorn! Where's Thorn? Want Thorn and Gleda?

: Could you not stab Treeg? You owe me one, dude.

: Sure, whatever.

: So what's with Thorn and Gleda?

: Gleda has...a higher purpose. I'm not going to tell you what it is, player! Also, the Reapers have an Evil Plan!

: Bye.

: You look around for someone who could offer an explanation, but all you see are troubled face, as ignorant of what is happening as you are. In times of war, the tolling of a bell seldom heralds good news.

: There is commotion at the souther gate. Several riders enter. They are too few to be reinforcements, yet too numerous to be messengers. You strain your eyes and begin to recognize their faces. You brace yourself for the ill news.

: Once again, something interrupts your brooding and awakens you from your stupor. It looks like another company has arrived in Opacum. Is this Treeg's mounted rear guard catching up to him in the fortress? The riders are wounded, and their horses exhausted.

: Prince Hederlig is also here. Heiborg must have fallen, cutting off the road to Berkana. That's the only explanation for such a ragged company coming to Opacum. The fortress will soon be besieged from all sides.

I wasn't kidding when I said Lo Pheng and co got teleported to Opacum.

No go away you suck.

: I am delighted to see you, and I am quite grateful to you for healing my son. If only it were not for the misfortune of him running off after Thorn again. My men couldn't catch him. Where is Thorn? What have you been doing all this time? I'm holding out hope that you do not incur my wrath.

: Your Majesty, I ask the gods to spare me from your wrath. We followed Thorn's trail in Opacum and anticipated his arrival. I'm sure he'll arrive by the end of the day. I hope he brings Hode with him.

gently caress, he wants exposition!

: The Reapers wish for Opacum to fall.

: Then why did they give me an escape route that would lead me here? The Reaper did not just split open Heiborg's defenses-it cleared the road to Opacum!

: The secret of Opacum lies within its menhir.

: Is it not dead? Who needs a menhir that hasn't healed a single ailing suppliant?

Remember, only our PCs know that the menhirs actually run off pain to teleport in Ense murder squads, empower Reapers, and do other cutscene crap.

: The Reapers are not aiding Frisia.

: That does not seem quite accurate. It's the Berkanan fortresses the Reapers are taking, Berkanan warriors they're setting at each other's throats/ How does that not count as aiding Frisia against us in this war?

: The past has taught us that the Reapers do not aid anyone. They are Berkana's enemy as much as they are Frisia's. When they crush one, the other rejoices and considers it aid, until it too is destroyed.

: (Raising his arm) I can see that your wisdom is overpraised. You'd better be a finer chronicler than an advisor. We are at a pivotal point in history, and what follows is worth writing down in your annals. Do not miss anything!

This is the same order given by Atraakh the Reaper, amusingly enough.

: (Bowing) You can rely on me, Your Majesty. Everything I witness will be recorded, and you'll certainly receive a copy of the scroll for your archives.

: Reapers are bad, Your Majesty. They probably let you come here as part of their evil, menhir-involved plan.

: That's all you can tell me? What the hell? That's completely obvious! At least record events, because my god you're a useless dumbass.

We have some plot important conversations, and some pointless bullshit.

Let's do the bullshit first.

: (Laughing) Something like that. I don't need to spy on you here. There's nowhere to go, and there are others who will watch over you anyway. Now, are we just having a laugh or did you have questions for me?

: The matter is, Ake is too busy, and I would like to know something about the coming siege.

: Are there many soldiers in the fortress, Mushom?

: We've enough men to fight back three Frisian legions. Remember, Hopper, that Opacum's bastions have never been taken. We also have plenty of water and food in the fortress.

: How far is the Frisian army from Opacum?

: Not all the patrols have returned yet. We cannot be absolutely certain, but it's likely that the Frisians will be here by the end of the day. We barely made it, Hopper.

: Any news of the Berkanan army?

: There are different rumors, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Berkanan army has its own tasks of protecting Ursus, Jera, and Albius. We can manage without it, and Opacum is just on the edge of Berkana.

: Good luck to you Mushom. I have to go now.

: My thanks, same to you. Remember, he finds glory who seeks it. Who knows, I might even earn a captain's insignia. Now that would sure be something, wouldn't it?

: How's the war going?

: They don't have the men to take this fort. We're gonna kick their asses.

: I think they know that, but they have an evil plan. Be careful!

Now you might think we'd actually be talking to Ake here.

You'd be wrong.

: You have to restrain yourself from wincing. Ake doesn't need to know what happened to Rask. Meanwhile, Padagang is looking at you as if he's reading your mind. You nod to him and try to ask something, but Ake interrupts.

: The big fellow laughs and taps the Vandil on the shoulder. "Padagang's gonna arrange our stay and dinner, so we won't have to huddle in a barracks. Well, King Treeg will arrive shortly; I have to deal with some urgent matters,"

The king demands...a shrubbery!

Did the makers of this game realize they had a whole set of character portraits they used once or some poo poo?

Yea, get ready for Pointless Padagang Backstory! You may remember him as our provider of Magic Hankies, but he has...not much more we care about.

: Did you flee Albius because of the Reaping?

Some of these questions make Hopper look like a complete dumbass, but if I have to transcribe all this poo poo from screenshots, YOU get to sit through it!

: You cannot escape the Reaping. What unnerved me more were the people. Or were they even people? Some wear monster's skin, others-a cardinal's robes. Still others wear regular clothing, just as you do.

: You can see these things? Did you have shaman ancestors? You saw the Reaper then? But you ran away from the cardinal, not from the Reaper Why are you not running away from me?

: Did you see anything out of the ordinary in Albius?

: I've seen sorcery of all kinds. It is like a blinding light to me. First, a young woman came to Albius, and I swear I've never seen a finer lass in my entire life. After that, it seemed to me that the sky went dark with storm clouds. It was then that the Reaper appeared. Finally, when the bell began to peal, the darkness started to dissipate.

: What can you tell me about Thorn Brenin? Or his daughter? Are they sorcerers too? How did they resist the Reaper?

I don't think we've learned anything new from this conversation.

: Why did you decide to stay in Opacum?

: It's easier to breathe here. The plague I narrowly escaped in Albius seems to be less potent. Even the cardinal here is... different. I'm nevertheless afraid these blessings won't last.

: Why is that? And why are you here if they will not last?

: That's it for questions, but there is something I want to tell you.

: I knew that Rask had perished the moment it happened. I sensed trouble in him. Just like I sense it in you. I'm no sorcerer of course, I just feel it. I won't prattle on, I promise. No need to draw attention.

The top option is the stupidest, so I pick it.

: Are you a sorcerer by any chance?

He literally just said he wasn't.

: Seeing things doesn't make one a sorcerer. I went for a stroll around the fortress on my first day here. The ruins beneath the menhir fascinated me. I don't know whether you looked carefully enough, but there used to be an inscription here. Now it's gone.

: Why did you not read it when you saw it? Perhaps it was meant for your eyes!

: That's unlikely. I had shaman ancestors, but I'm not one myself.

; Remember me? I could always see magic stuff. Can I be back in the game now? This is Ash of Gods, and I can spew cryptic crap with the rest of them!

: No. Also, your best friend is dead.

: Don't forget to read the riddles!

The Amma convo glitches out here.

: Hello, Scheck, I will likely not be the only one asking questions. Everyone in Opacum is wondering what has happened to Heiborg.

That was at the bottom of the map. After Hederlig bailed Dorpkhal and his mind slaves hit that fort next.

: Why did you not retreat to Ursus or Jera?

: Did you hear what I said about the corduroy road? Thousands of Gells and Vandils used it to cross to the Old Gebonan Road and block it off completely. We didn't plan to burrow in Opacum. There was no other choice! It's as if we were driven here.

[i

: Did you send for reinforcements?

: Of course we sent for reinforcements, though I fear no messenger got through. I've seen carrier pigeons picked off with arrows just outside Heiborg's towers.

Really?

: The Reapers do not personally fight in wars.

WHAT THE gently caress DID SHECK JUST TELL YOU

Irony!

: How did Hederlig end up in Heiborg?

: Same way we ended up in Opacum-the enemy left no other route. Hederlig planned to head east, but he couldn't go anywhere other than Heiborg. A hard battle was fought at its walls, and the prince of Isana could have perished were it not for Lon.

: I would have never taken Lon for a good warrior. Doesn't quite have the countenance. How are the two monarchs getting along? Bickering about who should lead?

: Where did you meet the white-haired woman?

: Amma, you say? What makes you think she's here? She keeps to herself. She even has bodyguards; they helped us wipe out the pursuing enemies near Opacum. One of the guards is an Eikon! Can you believe it? It's the first time I've seen one of them up close.

For the record, Sheck is a man of the world and King Treeg's right hand. He's seen all sorts of poo poo. Lo Pheng stands out.

Remember this line.

: We'll have a chance to talk later.

Oh, you thought Brann Vichti wasn't going to show up in this story anymore? You've got another thing coming!

: Unbelievable! And he, a count! I guess anything's possible. I'm sure Stakhet will not turn his son over, even to the king. He would rather wall him up in a hole to save face.

God, I hope they Cask of Amontillado'd this fucker. That would be more interesting than anything we've seen out of him, and he deserves it a lot more than poor Fortunato.

: Want some exposition about stuff that's already happened and the player's already seen, but we can make the player sit through again?

: Yes! Exposition is what I crave!

: We were herded to Opacum, as Treeg literally just told you. Also, Brann is bad!

: Brann is bad!

Get ready kids! Amma's about to crack open the mystery box of the Reapers' evil plans! I'm sure this is going to be something completely original and diabolical!

: Why are you here? I'm no seer, but I sense that the Reapers are plotting something, gathering everyone here...

This is the reason no one liked Counselor Troi. Though Marina Sirtis was pretty cute I guess.

: Who are they?

: Adna, Atraakh, Dorpkhal, maybe others as well. Adna paid me a visit.

We're not quite sure whose side Adna is on, seeing as she was all wanting to serve the gods after Chila kicked her rear end.

: What did she tell you? Who'd benefit from my death? Whatever the Reapers do, they do for a reason. Not many Lower Umbra left.

Get ready to open the mystery box, kids!

:dawkins101:

That's right! The hidden plot of the game that we've been desperately avoiding is the exact same plot as nearly every JRPG on the market! "Revive the dark god!"

Can you guess why everyone's so fixated on Gleda? Well, we need to put the dark god in a vessel. Just like every goddamn JRPG out there.

Look, I'm aware you can take a derivative story and tell it well. This is not told well. This is :tvtropes: level of "subverting tropes" because it was actually the cliched bullshit all along. Waiting eight chapters to reveal that yes, the plot is just a cliche doesn't make you a clever author, it just makes the readers feel that we've wasted 8 chapters on pointless bullshit.

I'll ask the audience this: What is this story about?

Ashofgods.com posted:

The novel on which the game is based bears the working title "Terminus." At the heart of its subject lies the idea that when ordinary people face a difficult moral choice, they should reject even the lesser of two evils.

gently caress off! We're discussing what's actually in the writing presented to us, death of the author and all that. Now, we can answer for what we've seen of Lo Pheng's story. Lo Pheng is about what makes a man a monster, and can he choose to overcome it? What about Thorn? Thorn hasn't grown as a character at all, he's been pinballed from place to place by cryptic bullshit. How about Hopper? Same thing, but the chains are more obvious.

Now, it's tempting to reply with "nothing", but we can go back to the wacky Christian allegory earlier. The game rewards us for blind obedience and faith in supernatural bullshit, which leads me to believe that the game is about having faith in a godless world. Much of the game is spent agonizing over whether we should listen to Chila and her riddles because we have no proof either way. Again, too, the way the curse hits Hopper is rather symbolic of the mortal condition, with Chila's promise of a cure reminiscent of Jesus' promise of eternal life.

There's a whole weird subplot running through Hopper's story about a "Triune" god who died and came back to life, which has rather unsubtle Catholic parallels if you think about it.

Yet normally this is front and center. CS Lewis leaves us no doubt that Aslan is in fact, Jesus, whereas this game buries the allegory under piles of pointlessness. Brann is bad. Extradimensional invaders (who are just people, not demons). Pointless amounts of grimdark such as children being sacrificed to blade pyramids. I'm not Christian myself, but from my Bible readings Jesus gave people hope.

The Book of Luke posted:

One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!” And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Jesus is literally being tortured to death but finds the time to extend the hope of salvation to this poor guy on the cross next to him. There's no real hope in Ash of Gods. Thorn isn't rallying the gang by telling them that Chila is going to come and deliver them. Chila herself never promises to deliver anyone except by removing the bullshit curse she placed on Hopper with the assistance of Cardinal Evil.

I'm sorry. We have the rest of the Mystery Box to open.

: Did Coronzon betray the Temple of Divine Retribution?

: Could be. It's also possible that there is no distinction between the Temple of Divine Retribution and the Temple of Divine Wrath. Instead, there is only one Temple, and waging the sacred wars was simply an act of deception. When you and twelve fellow Umbra took to the field at Drowsy Deep, did you not wonder why Coronzon was not there? Nor Ananael? Nor Enay?

: That's too much. I refuse to believe it. Coronzon is one son of a bitch, but Ananael is not. Nor is Enay. Though I cannot vouch for Enay, I can tell you one thing about my curse-it is not their doing. It takes strength away from the Reaping! It upset Coronzon! Someone else had cast it!

This is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. Do you know who Ananael is? I don't, and I've beaten this game multiple times. People on reddit claim he's the Umbra who founded the Temple of Divine Retribution or something. I don't even know.

: Why do you serve them again?

This is an excellent question.

Look, touching women with your crooked staff is not appropriate in public.

This is even worse!

The sex jokes just write themselves. I guess Adna's better at making Amma come than Hopper? Must be that crooked staff.

: How are they going to take Opacum?

: What do you mean, "in the wrong place"? A thousand years ago, it grew out of a chapel that was already ancient, destroying it in the process. I've touched the remaining blocks a thousand times, even dug up some of them. There's no power in these stones. I would have felt it.

Hopper please stop making innuendos.

: Are the gods not dead?

But wait! If the first four gods fought to stop him, didn't they make a mistake failing? If nothing can go wrong, why didn't he just...walk into Terminum and declare himself the lone god?

Also, Hopper did give us the warning that literally everyone could be an unreliable narrator. Have fun piecing through the dreck!

: All of Opacum will be an altar for this sacrifice... you're out of your mind! Three Umbra, some sort of sign, a Chosen One, a divine incarnation... Who told you this nonsense? Was it Adna? Do you know that you cannot trust a single word she says?

"Worse, Hopper. It was the writers."

: Amma, let's forget all our misfortunes and leave this place together.

She sounds just like Adna here.

: Hey Amma. Do you know the plot of this game?

: I do. Amma touched me with her crooked staff and made me come...

: Hot

:...here so I could enact their evil plan. They're going to sacrifice everyone in Opacum and the Frisian legions to use Gleda Brenin to summon the evil dark god who ruined Calz. Why the gently caress they want to do this when they spent all their time running around free and trolling people is beyond me. Also, they're probably gonna kill you so you should leave.

: That's stupid. Let's just forget this bad writing and leave so I can show you my crooked staff.

:Nah.

Let's end this chapter so I can go forget about it.

: A bell begins to toll over the keep. From the west, still far away, comes the twangy melody of Frisian horns and the beating of war drums. The distance muffles the clanging armor and marching feet, the squeaking axles of supply carts-but the wind carries a faint odor of sweat, dirt, and greasy cooking. Frisian legions are approaching Opacum. The siege will begin in a matter of hours. The sun is disappearing behind dark clouds.

Next time: Can we get Thorn's dumb rear end to Opacum so we can see the end game? Is Brann still Bad? Can Hopper get Amma to make-out point? Find out next time!

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 13, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

the worst kind of bad is the kind with good in it, and this whole reaper/umbra/ense/calz setup has the bones of an engaging foundation. a world where all gods are dead except one whose vision for the world has become warped and harmful, and now the servants of the gods are torn between doing what their lives are defined by in the belief that their master's vision is more enlightened than theirs and rebelling against all they are in the name of their own sense of justice. but this squanders that in favour of Intrigue for Intrigue's sake

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Bonus Update #4: Fixing Ash of Gods Round 2: The Plot

So we've finally gotten to the point where Ash of Gods tips its hand as to what the villains want. We still have no idea what the hell Chila is up to and what her end game plan is as Philia basically told us to gently caress off when Hopper asked. I've been avoiding this update until at least one of the Mystery Boxes was opened, despite the cries of "what is going on" and "none of this makes sense" from the thread. It's clear we're building up to some kind of big clash at Opacum with all three of our parties (despite a feature of the game being that Thorn's party and Lo Pheng's party can be completely wiped out at this point), the dark god will revive in the body of Gleda (or maybe Reet, Orkan said she was important) and there's going to be a big battle.

To recap, how did we get here?

Thorn was having a peaceful day in his boring hometown of Albius, shopping with his daughter for his wife's birthday. His daughter notices a beautiful woman in the marketplace, who is actually the Reaper Childao in disguise. They were rudely interrupted by Dorpkhal the Reaper attacking the town, slaughtering the inhabitants but arbitrarily withdrawing after seeing Gleda. He made some ominous comments about Thorn's family, which caused Thorn and Gleda to run home. Once they got there, it turned out Liki had been killed by the family's servants who had been driven insane by the Reaper. Thorn murdered Tenner in anger over Tenner revealing he was an informant for Liki's father, dumped the body in a dumpster, and then encountered 5 men of the town guard who had no idea where to go and needed Thorn's emergency leadership. Thorn decreed the band would set out for the nearest menhir to cure the Reaping plague and then figure out what to do next. As it turned out, all of the menhirs were corrupted by the Reaping, meaning the plague could not be healed, so Thorn wandered aimlessly from menhir to menhir until he ran into the seer Chila, who sent him to Ursus while explaining his daughter was special.

Unfortunately for Thorn, one of the guardsmen turned out to be an incognito prince. His father ordered Thorn's arrest and execution for...reasons...meaning that when Thorn hit Ursus in his wanderings he was arrested and imprisoned. His evil brother in law, Brann, taunted Thorn by revealing Thorn's son was about to be eaten by cannibals. Fortunately, some random mercenaries who Brann had pissed off and imprisoned helped Thorn and his crew escape jail, and he had to cross the Ashen Wasteland to rescue his son. He was able to cross the wasteland, rescue his son, and then go to Opacum because it was the only safe place from the war and the Reaping via the assistance of the seer Chila, who was secretly the Reaper Childao.

Lo Pheng was working as a bodyguard for a powerful yet inept noble when he received the order to execute a red-haired woman for the amusement of a Reaper disguised as a Temple official. Lo Pheng elected not to kill her, forcing the Reaper to reveal himself and attack. As Lo Pheng's clan commands all warriors to kill Reapers on sight, Lo Pheng struck down the Reaper in the public square, freed Reet because he admired her courage, and left. Reet and her fellow prisoners followed Lo Pheng seeking protection on the road, and they struck a bargain - Reet would show Lo Pheng a shortcut to get to his homeland so he could warn them of the Reaping, while Lo Pheng would let Reet, the abused lady prisoners, and a few people they picked up along the way travel with him for protection. After another battle with Atraakh, the Reaper who Lo Pheng first defeated, Reet was cursed and so Lo Pheng had to sacrifice his clan's sacred stone to save her, making him an outcast. This let Lo Pheng and Reet arrive in time to save an Ense - one of the Reapers' servants - and free him from the spell clouding his mind. He told them of the other world the Reapers, Enses, and Umbra came from, a dead world ruined by a mad god, and swore to help them save their world from the ruinous power. The party made it to Reet's shortcut, the wandering menhir, where the guardian offered to teleport them to where they needed to go. Instead of Lo Pheng's homeland, the guardian sent them to Amma, an ancient Umbra seeress who had founded Lo Pheng's clan. She used her position as the Great Ancestress to compel Lo Pheng and the others to escort her to the ancient fortress Opacum.

Hopper Rouley's story started 700 years ago, at the battle of Drowsy Deep. He and 12 other Umbra took a stand against the Reaper menace to defend humanity. They could not beat the Reapers in combat, so they stabbed themselves to trigger an explosion - except Hopper, who was struck down by an arrow fired by the Reaper Childao and became the battle's only survivor. In the present day, he sought out his ex-girlfriend Amma to try to prevent the Reaping, because he felt guilty over his failure 700 years ago. Amma sent him to the village of Albius because that's when she'd predicted the Reaping would start. Hopper arrives there after Thorn leaves the village, and finds his old Umbra associate Coronzon. They chat about how the Reaping has started, and how both Thorn and Lo Pheng have defied the Reapers. The Albius bell tower is cursed to ring eternally, so Coronzon throws Hopper in to figure it out. Hopper touches the bell and is cursed instead, with some kind of magic curse that tells him to "find the seven words of wisdom" and "follow the guiding one". While he is doing this, Prince Treeg charges Hopper with apprehending Thorn Brenin and retrieving his son, Prince Ho, who is disguised as a soldier in Thorn's convoy. Thus Hopper follows in the footsteps of Thorn all over Terminum, following the riddles left by the Reaper Childao and fighting the curse that wants to devour his heart. He finally catches up to the imprisoned Thorn at Ursus, where he promises to protect Gleda and heals Prince Ho from an injury he sustained fighting at Thorn's side. After following the footsteps of Thorn, Hopper makes it to Opacum per the last command of Chila. At Opacum Amma tells him the Reapers' plans - they will resurrect the dark god that destroyed the original world of the Umbra in the vessel of Gleda Brenin (or maybe Reet).

A few things stand out about the plot immediately. Hopper and Thorn's plots are tightly coupled by circumstance (Hopper is to follow Thorn's footsteps to get all the riddles) but Lo Pheng is just kind of..there. You also notice that Thorn and company know the least about what's going on, mostly because Hopper and Khama were there for the entire plot including the god going mad and the flight from Calz and Reet is descended from renegade Enses. The other thing that stands out about the plot is that Lo Pheng is the only one with a clear goal - he wants to get home to tell the Eikon clan that it's time to fight the Reapers, and then gets hijacked by Amma into the main plot. Thorn is wandering aimlessly for the first half of the game looking for a cure that doesn't exist and only spending a chapter to save his son, while Hopper is following the arbitrary curse riddles to maybe cure himself somehow. The Reapers make a grand entrance at the beginning of the game and then just kind of disappear until the end of the game, where it turns out they had an evil plan this whole time.

So what are my problems with this? Thorn doesn't really have anything to do, and his story - while pushed heavily as the main path - feels like a complete waste of time. The Reapers start as antagonists who take a personal interest in hounding Thorn and Lo Pheng - until they suddenly aren't.

Remember this? I remember this. The Ash of Gods writers vaguely remember this. Yet this is less an introduction to Dorpkhal - who turns out to be rather minor in the overarching story - than a setup for Liki Brenin to get stuffed into a refrigerator to give Thorn a tragic backstory. It's not even really a motivation because Liki only comes up in the Magic Flashback Desert and Thorn explaining to Andra that she can't expect to receive his penis. When we do encounter Dorpkhal Thorn is pissed about his wife dying, but not really in a position to do it. I'll post this right now - Dorpkhal doesn't appear again until the very end of the game, and you never fight him. Ever.

I was originally going to write about how the preview fiction has Gleda as a 12-year-old kid who wets herself when the Reaper appears, but she is apparently seventeen and talks like a 12 year old, or Thorn is adamant he doesn't know any magicians (whereas in the game Ramlin lives next door). It's pretty clear a lot of stuff got overhauled to present the player with choices - I suspect originally Gleda was supposed to be the only vessel for the god - and the setting seems to have changed from having muskets everywhere to them being only present in one optional encounter.

So let's try to salvage this. Now, I'm still not sure what themes these authors are going for, because everything is buried under :words: and worldbuilding and pointless political games that don't affect the characters at all. I can't even count on the Christian allegory I've had going for the last few updates, because that seems to be a completely unintentional thing judging by the marketing materials and kickstarter.

Where does that leave us? Kinda up poo poo creek, because I still have no idea what the game is trying to do.

We can at least try to streamline some of this crap. I'll try to fix some of the major problems.

No stakes: From the beginning of the game, we don't really have any stakes. There's a Reaping that's supposedly killing people, but we don't really see desolated settlements or any of that. We are supposedly under a death sentence from either running out of strixes or the curse, but you can merely get into a random encounter or resist the curse to avoid all of that. There's no real goal or plan for Thorn other than "loving off" - but as long as we keep killing the endless stream of road randos or Enses, we never actually run out of strixes to the point where people start dying. There is no horrible enemy to flee from, no one to pursue, nothing to gain, and nothing to lose. Hopper is literally railroaded by a curse he can just...fight against and not die. Lo Pheng is the only one of the three characters to have a clear goal, and hilariously the one who doesn't interact with the other two.

Kill the mystery box: In the promotional material linked above the prologue makes it clear that Hopper and Amma fled a dying world because a mad god destroyed it and now he's coming here. The prologue. In the actual game we don't have this told to us until Chapter 8. We're given bits and pieces of the story until Amma reveals it, but until then it is entirely possible to assume the game completely forgot about Dorpkhal in favor of that lovely subplot, Brann Is Bad.

Stop the pointless grimdark: I get it. This is a world without gods and that lets mankind's worst impulses run free. The problem is that the amount of torture and misery stops having any pathos and rolls over into comedy. It doesn't work with your reminder that "even your enemies have mothers and children", because when you start building blade pyramids coated in the blood of children you're just an animal that needs to be put down.

Alright, let's change some stuff up!

TheGreatEvilKing's Ash of Gods fanfiction!

Change the prologue so that Hopper and Amma go back to talking about the dark god and the world they fled. This doesn't mean a giant infodump where we get four options to ask about what kind of celery Adna liked to eat on Calz, but something like "I can feel him. He will return, Hopper." would go a long way toward establishing poo poo is going down. Then we can cut to Thorn, and I'm going to make some character changes here.

First, Liki is alive, doesn't have a bad heart, and has her reputation as a skilled swordswoman. Second, Gleda is actually 12 or some other age where being inept in a fight is a given. Thus Dorpkhal shows up to kidnap Gleda rather than trying to get Trobbel to do some dumb plot of evil to do something. Instead of having the my wife is dead :qq: trauma, Liki becomes a playable character and she and Thorn are both trying to rescue Gleda. You can have Krieger and company show up then looking for guidance and you can have a scene where Thorn and company try to get Gleda back. THIS could be where Chila shows up with helpful hints of some kind, and after they turn out to be helpful Thorn and Liki go along with it because they want their kid back and whatever ulterior motive happens...happens.

Hopper's story is a little harder. It seems like it wants to be about the importance of trusting God despite your circumstances being awful, but at the beginning there's no actual indication that God is involved. There's a curse from a witch and a pointless riddle. I'm not actually sure if Coronzon being a cardinal is supposed to tie in with the religious theme, or it's just a way to have him be a powerful individual. It also doesn't immediately tie in to his stated goal of "stopping the Reaping", which occasionally surfaces in between his bitching about those drat witches and their curses.

I'll be honest, I don't think the whole "follow the bullshit riddles OR DIE" structure really works or is engaging without any stakes, especially as you can opt to just resist the curse every time which causes the dark god to rise at the end, but yolo! and it just being a "now that Thorn's gone, what did the people think of him" recap. The idea of an angel without gods cursed to wander the earth is an intriguing one, but it's not intriguing enough to suffer through the idiocy that is "read GameFAQs to get the good ending, also question what the point of this story is".

It would honestly be a lot better if Chila showed up and offered him a path to stop the Reaping and he just kinda took it because he wanted to believe.

On the dark god, and the Enses

So the only motivation we are given for the mad god is that he likes eating people, and that somehow correlates to acid rain and dying suns. The Enses have the motivation that their world is dead and they've been promised the lands of Terminum if they go out and kill people to power up the menhirs. This is...actually not an awful motivation, and you could use it to - gasp - make the Enses actually sympathetic instead of completely insane murder monsters.. It's war. It's plenty horrific without stupid crap added in like child blade pyramids to power up genre bullshit. Get rid of the mind control because you already have a religious aspect here - these guys are crusading on behalf of their gods for the holy land. You can have people like Khama who question this and defect to the party, and you can make the Enses actually people instead of silent, mind-controlled slaves who don't have any clear goals apart from providing random encounters on the road. Hell, maybe give the dark god a motivation beyond eating babies. Maybe he wants to take away free will to make people happy, and we can tie it into the free will debates later in the game. Maybe he demands worship but provides little in return. Maybe he actually is going to make the world a paradise, but there will be no challenges and no way for people to grow. There's a lot you can do here, but it's just not being done.

Come to think of it, that's the problem with Ash of Gods as a whole.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 12, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

I've been following this for quite some time, and I have to say it makes an interesting point that your work to make a better story out of this mess doesn't even mention Lo Pheng at all. It really makes it stand out that even though his story seems to end up shortchanged by production time, it's still the most engaging of all of them. He has a direct goal alongside interesting and believable development, and it's something that Thorn and Hopper never really have. Thorn's characterization is both rear end-backwards and can't stop fluctuating while Hopper is rather... generic to say the best. Pheng and the dialogue summaries are what have kept me reading this, even when I was still lurking.

The developers really should have stopped trying to imitate Banner Saga so closely and continued to do stuff of their own. Part of me wonders if that's why they went ahead and made Pheng's chapters even if they didn't get the funding: maybe writing him was simply more rewarding than just knocking off another game.

At this point, I've already forgotten if you've covered trying to fix this game's busted combat system in a bonus update. Banner Saga's wasn't that great to me in the first place, but this game has appeared terribly unfun at every turn. If finding a way to break the system into a no effort strategy is the first thing a player wants to do with your game, then it seems the developers missed the point that games are supposed to be entertaining.

Is there even a way to fix this combat system, or would it just be better off scrapped? I'm leaning towards the latter, honestly.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Flying Twybil posted:

I've been following this for quite some time, and I have to say it makes an interesting point that your work to make a better story out of this mess doesn't even mention Lo Pheng at all. It really makes it stand out that even though his story seems to end up shortchanged by production time, it's still the most engaging of all of them. He has a direct goal alongside interesting and believable development, and it's something that Thorn and Hopper never really have. Thorn's characterization is both rear end-backwards and can't stop fluctuating while Hopper is rather... generic to say the best. Pheng and the dialogue summaries are what have kept me reading this, even when I was still lurking.

The developers really should have stopped trying to imitate Banner Saga so closely and continued to do stuff of their own. Part of me wonders if that's why they went ahead and made Pheng's chapters even if they didn't get the funding: maybe writing him was simply more rewarding than just knocking off another game.

At this point, I've already forgotten if you've covered trying to fix this game's busted combat system in a bonus update. Banner Saga's wasn't that great to me in the first place, but this game has appeared terribly unfun at every turn. If finding a way to break the system into a no effort strategy is the first thing a player wants to do with your game, then it seems the developers missed the point that games are supposed to be entertaining.

Is there even a way to fix this combat system, or would it just be better off scrapped? I'm leaning towards the latter, honestly.

First off, thanks for following! I did actually cover fixing the busted combat system in my first fixing Ash of Gods post but honestly half the problem is that the devs insist on every combat being kill everyone against the same band of five enemies in an open space, no optional objectives, final destination. Even Banner Saga figured out that gets boring and added conditions like "winning before the poisoned king dies" and "smash the barricades for bonus XP.". It should be noted that the devs eventually caved and added a Story Mode where the game autobattles for you, and I'll be honest, if the thread votes to do a fuckup run I'm doing it on story mode.

I won't lie either, the Lo Pheng chapters were the ones that kept me going through my first playthrough. There's an entirely separate Lo Pheng path where you murder Reet and stay loyal to Pelko Soturi which I've never done (notably, you only fight the Reaper if you refuse to kill poor Reet) and I suspect is just going to raise a ton of questions once we get to the endgame.

The real shame of Ash of Gods is that this could have easily been a good game as they had good artists and musicians and there are good ideas buried in the writing. I don't know if it needed more funding, more time in the oven, or what, but it seems like the devs were shackled to some real awful parts of their vision that threw away something that could have been amazing for something that's just...mediocre.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

would pay some good money to be able to play tgek's version of this game with the graphics and soundtrack intact

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Thorn Brenin and the Magic Jizz

When we last left Thorn Brenin, he had to get his dumb rear end to Opacum to...not die?

We're not going to do that. We've got camp dialogue!

The test for you goons, should you choose to accept it, is to ask yourselves whether Gleda has any character after we talk with her a whole bunch. Also, can YOU spot the proofreading error?

Oh boy!

: You want to know about my mentor?

: I remember you telling me about him. You even said he saved your life once.

We've seen this story before. Remember this, Hopper's gonna come back and spell it out.

: You want to know how your grandfather was saved?

So yea, Terminum is surrounded by this weird magic mist thing that serves as the end of the world.

Yup. This is Thorn's magic jizz.

He went through the magic bullshit zone at the end of the world, was saved by his mentor who used magic or something, and then went home and had Gleda. Gleda can host the dark god explicitly because of Thorn's magic progenitive powers.

: You want to know who Drewer actually is?

: You know, if Drooket used to be Drewer, then I feel Mabok is the same person, too.

So yes. Drooket/Mabok/Qarbarph is the guy who helped Thorn get magic jizz. Considering he also has a ton of kids lying around it's even conceivable (heh) that Gleda has two fathers. Magic is weird.

I'm calling bullshit on this revelation. Nothing in the game indicates that the High Umbra also had/have to possess people. We can guess that they do (and comments by the developers indicate that they possess corpses) but in the actual text of the game?

It might be there buried in some random encounter. Who knows?

: We're only left to wonder, my daughter.

: But I thought Mabok was on our side!

: Who's this Drewer guy? I think he's also Drooket and Mabok doing weird possession poo poo.

: Well, he let me go into the magical Veil at the end of the world and save your grandfather. This gave me magic jizz I squirted into your mother and that's how you got here! Come to think of it, did Chila make me do that too?

: Uh, I mean, that possession stuff, huh. Kinda like a Reaper, huh? Heh heh.

You all ready for a plot point to be introduced at the end of the game?

: Why do they need the Reaping?

: Why do you think there's any point to the Reaping at all? Never thought you'd say that... I've been contemplating it, but I haven't found an answer. No matter who orchestrated all this, the biggest mystery still persists.

: Orchestrated? You talking about the Reapers? Aren't they mere servants and harbingers of the Reaping?

This implies the Reaping is somehow intelligent, a theory advanced by none of the characters in the story.

: Is there any way to defeat the Reapers?

: (Smirking) You mean the gods? I doubt this plague eats away at Terminum without their complicity. The gods aiding us against the Reapers are out of the question. At least the kinds of gods worshipped in temples.

: You're making my head burst with all your ellipses. What other gods? You mean someone else other than who planted the sacred stones? Who are you talking about?

Oh. Ohhhh. Remember this?

We actually saw that book much, much earlier.

: (Irritated) Still thinking of yourself? We are maggots. The lowliest of servants, lucky enough to have a seat at the table. Are you looking for the forsaken gods of this land? I have a book that describes the life of one. Here, take it. I had a good laugh reading through the nonsense.

...holy poo poo, they actually foreshadowed this. I had completely forgotten that Amma straight up says that her book is about the native gods of Terminum.

: What's the point of menhirs?

: Power. A menhir's healing properties only manifest where there's a surplus of it. Everything else is used to keep Terminum enveloped in an impenetrable wall of mist! If I deciphered it all correctly, of course... There's no direct mention of it in the books, for sure.

The power is for the Reapers and Enses per Khama.

: I guess I learned everything I wanted.

: Well, I'm jealous. I'd hardly be able to say so, myself... Just don't take me at my word, alright? I'm just piecing together all the scraps of knowledge I gathered during my world travels. Doesn't mean my logic is perfectly sound.

This seems to be a running theme throughout the game. Commentary on the fallibility of human knowledge as opposed to divine (a la Dante) or pointless mystery box to keep people playing past Steam's refund limit? You decide!

: Anything you want to say?

: Go ahead, ask me your standard four questions.

: What's with the Reapers? Will the gods help us? What's with the menhirs?

: The Reapers are mighty servants of darkness. We will not be saved by the gods - at least not the ones worshipped by the Temple.

: Then who?

: Have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?

: Uh, no.

: I very nearly found a Bible, but that Chila witch stole it instead. BITCH STOLE MY BOOK!

: So, about the menhirs...

: gently caress if I know.

There's no real reason not to just zerg to Opacum. We have a pile of dudes and fewer strixes. Let's just hit the end of the game.

: Look for survivors.

10% morale boost for free! :toot:

Let's get to Opacum before...

Goddamn, Vai. I suppose you are the one character who shows anything resembling actual faith, but the Calz god has been trying to gently caress us over all game.

: Ride forth.

: Ignoring Vai, you command your party to keep moving. When the shrine disappears from view, it begins raining so hard that your companions have to stop. The monk stares at the clouds, turns his horse, and disappears into the rain-deaf to your shouts.

Well, I guess that solves part of our strix problem.

: The rain soon ends, and a completely drenched-but smiling-Vai rides back toward you. "I asked the gods to forgive our neglect. They've shown mercy in stopping the rain. In return, I promised them a chapel service as soon as possible!"

Richard Dawkins does not respect your feeble prayers!

Let's get out of here before we get ano-

: Ask for Helm's opinion.

: Look at the trophies.

I buy all the strixes and strix related crap (the Blood Charm makes a character require 1 less strix per day) and we get out of there, with enough strixes to take our injury-free party to the endgame.

: Find another place to set up camp.

Oh boy, more combat? You shouldn't have, Ash of Gods. Really.

: Kill the invaders.

This fight looks trickier because of all the archers who can shoot Thorn while he's circlejerking.

It's really not an issue.

These look like impressive, Lo Pheng-esque numbers, but you need to remember this is after 10 turns of Ramlin buffing. If we play our cards right, we can send Ramlin and Lo Pheng against the final boss. :getin:

I honestly don't know why all the cards are broken into fragments, especially considering half the deck is garbage you will never use unless someone is holding your family at gunpoint.

Is it another uninspired encounter in a featureless flat plain with the same enemies we've been fighting all game?

It is!

I just want you all to know this is the same uninteresting cheese strategy and the game has come up with approximately no solutions to it. With the power of our magicians, we can turn Thorn into an invincible Space Jam Slammer and solve literally every fight.

We have not had an actual boss fight since Lo Pheng last fought Atraakh.

I don't know enough about animation to say either way. I would think you could give a trained animator a youtube video of a scorpion stinging, but I guess a lot of major studios (per Dirt Road Junglist) use rotoscoping.

You know, it's perfectly possible that the captive is someone the Frisians arrested for murder. Just a thought.

I want you to know that if we took a different path at the beginning of the game, Krieger would have suggested that we randomly kill Stein. Just a thought.

Uh, what? Albius is Thorn's hometown. From the beginning of the game. That we all left.

What the gently caress?

: What's going on in Opacum?

: What do you think? Everyone's preparing for a siege. Nobody's ever conquered Opacum, though, so there's nothing to fear!

: What about Stakhet Vichti?

: Trying to keep his spirits high. But then his son comes along and tries to issue orders in Stakhet's name-so the count has to keep the dullard in check. I'm sorry for talking that way about your brother-in-law, Thorn.

BRANN IS BAD! BRANN IS BAAAAAAAAD!

: Will the Frisians be there soon?

: We don't know the exact time or how many. Only one thing's clear-the first three legions are already on the road to Opacum. I was hurrying to the fortress when I stumbled upon their patrol. Hope they don't beat us there.

If they do, it fires an event where if you choose wrongly Thorn and his entire party get cutscene killed. There's even an achievement for it.

: We need to make it to Opacum, quickly! Let's go!

: It's me! Stein! Can I be in the story again?

: Stein! Are we almost to Albius?

: I mean, Opacum. drat proofreaders.

: You're just in time to get to endgame! Good thing you didn't dick around, or you could have been cutscene killed!

: Let's go!

: You fancy your chances at making it to Opacum without alerting Frisians, but you conclude they are slim. "To the gate, now! We have to beat them there, before all the entrances are blocked!"

: Your daughter is doubtful. "What if they can't open the gate in time? Or don't open it at all? What if they think it's some Frisian ploy?"

: You pull Gleda aside. "We have to risk it. If we lose anymore time the northerners will cut us off from Opacum. We'll meet the Frisians by that very gate. There's a steep incline there that'll force them to dismount!"

: Your squad darts to the fort and the Frisian horse patrol predictably gives chase. The northerners can't intercept you in time. You jump from your horses at Opacum's doorstep, and wait for the inevitable battle to unfold.

As you can see, the Frisians are deploying the rare halberd cavalry formation. (To my knowledge, cavalry never historically used halberds).

We have seen this battle before, and we have a solution.

We get a cool pan over the siege my screenshots don't capture.

: You nod and turn to meet Gleda's gaze. She's still shivering from the last battle. You look to Mact, still clutching his weapon. "I know who you mean, but no one needs escorting-Stakhet Vichti's grandchildren are capable of finding him."

: The guard's face grows pale. He sends someone to find the healer and issues a few more orders. You do not utter a word, and you proceed when he beckons you. Right now, all you need is a bit of respite-because you will soon face the Northerners laying siege to Opacum. But there is no escaping an encounter with your father-in-law.

To the dialogue zone!

Not pictured: Mact and Gleda.

: I've no need of thanks, Stakhet. My children being alive is enough. After the Reaping took Liki, they've been my only reason to live.

Look, all Ash of Gods conversations are contractually mandated to have a minimum of three expository questions and an escape question. Thus, you too will suffer.

:Having a feast while under siege?

: That is King Treeg's will. He wishes to celebrate our heroes in such a way that future generations may never outshine them-and to boost morale, I guess. Not long before the storm strikes...

: King Treeg now rules in Opacum?

: I may command the garrison, but I play by the king's rules-or the prince's. Heiborg has fallen, Thorn, and the king takes refuge in this fortress. He's plenty mad at you. I hope I don't have to throw you in the dungeon.

: What must I do, Stakhet?

: Nothing. I've already been told that Prince Ho is alive, and that you were the one to bring him here. I imagine the king is quite pleased. Still, try to control yourself.

Seriously, did Treeg want to gently caress Liki or something? I don't understand why Treeg is so upset that Thorn saved his son. I guess because Hode ran away? Who knows?

: Can I go?

I can only read this line as hilariously petulant.

: (Glancing at his grandchildren) I'd prefer to keep my grandchildren by my side, but they won't stay-I can see it in their eyes. Just keep in mind that you're responsible for them even here, within the safety of these walls.

: (Lowering his voice) My daughter, Liki Brenin, is dead. And I didn't even get the chance to hug her. My lineage is in grave danger! And Brann Vichti is hardly interested in preserving it!

Remember, Stakhet here is Brann's father. No one ever seems to connect the dots of "Brann is bad" with "maybe lovely parenting is to blame."

BRANN IS BAD! BRANN IS BAD! Just wait, we haven't seen the last of this uninspired, pedantic plotline. BRANN IS BAD!

: Thanks for bringing my grandchildren here safely. You going to the feast?

: No problem. What feast?

: King Treeg's throwing a feast to...raise morale I guess? Also, he's mad at you for saving his son's life and getting his heir out of the deathtrap Albius became. Guess he never really overcame that paste habit of his. Anyway, keep an eye on the kids and make sure they don't get hurt.

: Brann's been trying to kill them ever since you disowned him. Are you maybe gonna do something about it? BRANN IS BAD!

: Don't tell me I'm a lovely parent just because I raised an entitled attempted murderer! You get the gently caress out young man!

...you know, if you'd cut the amount of obnoxious flashback character reappearances that don't matter, like Padagang here, you could have put the money toward wolf and scorpion fights.

Then again, seeing what you've done with the rest of the combat system AurumDust, I can only imagine how tedious and soul crushing fighting scorpions on an endless plain would be.

I just realized this game doesn't even support damage over time effects, and I made a lovely JRPG for my college classes that did.

: Where would we be without Rask? In any case, I'm glad to see you here in good health, Padagang. Can you tell me the latest?

: Who else is after me? I understand why King Treeg holds a grudge against me. I've already talked to Stakhet. As for his son... that's their business. Who else wants to see me?

: I've no intention of hiding. When someone wants to talk, it's awfully rude to turn them down. So... no one else made it from Albius to Opacum?

: Say, can I be in the game? I sell a mean magic hankie. You can use it if women won't talk to you!

We have all that cash. I clean the sucker out of everything except battle cards, because you only need like 5.

Time for some wet, hot cryptic mysticism.

The last time we saw this guy he was looking for Gleda like a creep.

: For some reason, this Temple servant conjures feelings of repulsion and danger. You try to ignore them. After all, the monk is only looking out for himself, same as any other Temple servants would. He likely hopes that the horses are fast enough to get him out of the besieged fort.

Incidentally, the "there are bad guys" theme is playing through 80% of this update. It gets really old, really fast.

This seems out of order to me, but it's the order the screens are shown it. It should at least be "the", but what do I know?

: Philia, thank you for protecting my daughter. How may I be of service to you?

: What does this have to do with your mother?

Showing this next line off in screenshot because I want to point out yet another contradiction in this game's writing:

quote:

This. loving. Game.

: (Taking a closer look) Wait... Those bracelets you wear... They're just like my daughter's. A sorceress by the name of Chila gave them to her.

: My mother has many names. Chila is but one of them.

: (Scratching the back of his head) Well, I never... All right, if your mother is so wise, did she perhaps tell you how it all ends? Is there a chance of survival? If memory serves, your mother was an exceptional seer, was she not?

: I asked here about that myself. She gave no definite answer-just said that there is hope. Although, we might also bear witness to the end of this world. Nothing is certain. Even for her.

I kinda want to know what kind of man a Reaper fell in love with to bear a daughter and abandon the crusade to destroy Terminum. He sounds 99% more interesting than Thorn and Hopper.

: What danger are you talking about?

Oh boy. We might have an evil Thorn on our hands here, folks.

: The sacrifice will awaken one of those who command the menhirs' power. He is stronger than the Reapers. Even put together, he is stronger then them.

Also, notice that Philia is saying nothing about Gleda being marked here. Philia here is our last marked one.

I love that Thorn is all "well how does this help Frisia get Opacum". The summoning is the point.

: I'm not asking you to believe-only to remember. Understanding shall come later. As for the nebulous nature of the prophecy... Well, its outcome is uncertain.

: Is that all you have to say? Then I shall take my leave.

: I hope you've understood my mother's warning.

You know, telling Thorn "hey your daughter might get possessed by a dark god and we may need to kill her to avoid that" would be a lot better than this stupid poo poo, Philia!

: Thorn, it is time for you to know the "plot" of this "game". You see, this entire time the Reapers and Frisians are planning a dark sacrifice to raise an evil god from the dead, and they need this fortress to do it. We may need to kill the marked one before that happens.

: Well, I've read my Eliezer Yudkowsky. Killing one person causes less pain units than killing thousands. What's the big deal?

: Should I mention it might be me or Gleda? Nahhhhh So, that was a warning from my mother, Chila, who's been manipulating you this whole time. If you gently caress up we're all damned. Do you understand any of this?

: Nope. This is stupid. Bye!

You thought we had enough cryptic bullshit? Well, you were wrong!

: What do you expect? You want us to share this joy or something?

: Where does my daughters power come from?

: From you and your wife. Special people in your bloodline, or particularly traumatic events, they mark you for all time. Such marks of fate-both good and bad-can be passed to your children.

: (Shaking his head) I am but a soldiers. Yes, I've had my share of trials along the way. I've looked death in the eyes many times. It even embraced me once, when I was in the Veil...

Pictured: The face of a man realizing he has magic jizz.

Gleda's ability to manifest the dark god is because of Thorn's magic jizz. That's right, the antagonists of this game had an evil plan involving magic jizz. You can't make this up.

: No one touches Gleda!

: They may, Thorn. I cannot promise that I'll be able to fight off the Reapers, but I'm not letting your daughter out of my sight.

: The Reapers? Aye, I cannot protect her from such a foe on my own. Though, why would you risk your life for Gleda?

The sheer amount of proofreading errors makes me think they just didn't care.

: Makes sense. But to me, Gleda is not just some weapon to use against the Reaping. She's my whole life. I appreciate the offer, but I'll protect my daughter myself.

: What else do you know about the Reapers?

: (Smirking) That's some legend! Never heard anything like it, but I always had a hunch those menhirs and the Temple were bad news. So what do these outlanders want? To ravage our lands? Quench their blood lust? Reclaim the menhirs? Perhaps they simply mean to wipe us out and seize our lands.

: (Shrugging) I'm a rat that fled a sinking ship. I'm not one of them. And I do not wish to see destruction in your lands, Thorn, though it will likely come. The world of these outlanders is... dead. Burned to ash. Perhaps this one's fate will be the same. There's nowhere to run now, for any of us.

As much as I poo poo on Thorn, he's half right about Hopper's motivation. Hopper spends 50% of his time in game whining about the mean curse.

: I have to go. We'll talk later.

: There might not be a next time. Are you certain you've nothing else to ask?

: First, I need to figure out if I believe you. Too many odd and terrifying truths have presented themselves to me lately.

: I understand. It's difficult...realizing that all you know of the world's inner workings amount to nothing. I shan't push it. Words mean little to you anyway, right? You're a man of action. You'll want to see what I can do first.

: Do you have questions about the plot? I understand your route didn't explain poo poo.

: So, what is Gleda's power, exactly? Gameplay wise she's the same as that Ruor dude, yet everyone is acting like she's some kind of sorceress.

: Oh, that's easy. She was conceived with your magic jizz.

: Huh. When you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. So what's up with the Reapers?

: Oh, they're leading an extradimensional invasion to steal this world after their old world burned to ash. Anyway, I gotta keep an eye on Gleda because they need her for their evil plan.

: As her father, I am not going to ask for information about that even though it might help keep her safe. I just don't trust you because you're also from that world.

: You know it was my magic that got you out of jail and execution, right?

: Now I just look stupid.

Yeah, there's more. Fun fact, if you don't kill Tenner he shows up here.

The thing is that Mact is kinda right. Treeg's a loving moron.

: I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me!

: Treeg may have a bone to pick with me, but as soon as the siege begins, they'll need me. You once told Liki that I didn't love you. That's not true. If I didn't love you, what happened never would have happened.

: (Gloomily) Please forget I ever said that. I was brash, young and stupid. What happened almost drove me mad, but I felt sorry for you. I felt that I never lived up to your expectations. I could always sense your eyes on me-disapproving.

I just want to point out that you can run Mact without ever using his HP draining attacks and he has the only party heal in the game. Meanwhile Gleda rips her own HP asunder just to take out one guy.

: Please, look after Gleda if I'm no longer able.

: (Smirking) It'll happen eventually, but Gleda's still a child. That's not even my point. What I'm saying is that I'm no shepherd, and you're no brainless sheep. If you run into trouble, all that stuff about being responsible for your own actions will go right out the window. You'll have to accept it.

: You're a proper warrior. You don't need my advice anymore.

: All I can do now is hug you-and tell you something I wished so badly my own father had told me. Having children like you and Gleda fills me with happiness. Don't be surprised. I'm proud of you.

Awww.

: I'm not going to the feast. Treeg might have to use his third brain cell when I describe him.

: Son, we used to have Serious Family Drama. That's in the past now. You are a Real Man, so please look after Gleda. I'm proud of you.

: Yay!

Yea Dorpkhal marched all the mind controlled guys here, which for some reason doesn't seem to be counted in those three legions.

: Tell her about the Gells.

This insightful discussion of tribal societies is completely irrelevant, because Dorpkhal has them under direct mind control. He nearly mindcontrolled us, but Skoor saved us with a piss spray rope.

This game.

: Gleda seems at a loss. "So you're saying that they buy and sell slaves, ravage caravans and kill travelers because they've got a lot of pent-up energy?"

"No you see this is a morally gray game, see the Gells just are just trapped in a cycle of revenge and the guys with the child murder blade pyramids are..."

: Gleda squints. "But what can be done? Berkana's been trying to pacify the Gells for centuries! And here they are, clawing at Opacum's walls. They already rule the entire Vandil Forest. What should we do?"

This is gonna be stupid, isn't it?

: You've never been to the throne room in Opacum. Friga was built by Gebonan kings to rule the Vandil Forest, while Opacum was meant to be the keystone for all of Berkana. None of that came to pass. Stakhet turned the throne room into a dining hall. If you live long enough to reminisce, this ought to be an experience to remember.

: Guards open the tall doors before Stakhet Vichti. You hear King Treeg's furious cry. He stands in the center of the empty throne room, fists clenched and a soldier's corpse at his feet. Upon seeing you, he fills with anger.

Idiocy in 3...2...1...

Can YOU find the contradiction?

: I'll have the whole fortress upended! All of it! That scum will never escape retribution! Should we call off the feast? If it were to take place here, you may be in danger, Your Majesty!

: We are all in danger-but I will not call off the feast! No scoundrel will change my mind! I laugh in my enemy's face! For now, I wish to speak with Thorn Brenin.

: Father! Don't forget your promise!

: I remember everything. Believe me, I am quite capable of weighing all the factors before coming to a decision. No harm will come to the blameless.

gently caress you, Treeg.

: It is. And, for this opportunity, I am deeply grateful, Your Majesty. I have never hidden, and I never will.

: Let me antagonize this hostile monarch by opening my mouth like a dumbass, violating the etiquette of "do not speak unless spoken to" that I should really know as an ex-royal guard commander!

: Oh poo poo I had nothing to do with this better find the culprit.

: I'm gonna gently caress you up, Thorn! Get over here, son.

: Father! You promised to pardon Thorn, before I ran off like a dumbass to get him back in trouble!

: I'm the king! I don't need to honor poo poo! Pass me my paste tube, boy! That's the good poo poo!

I do think Treeg comes off as more menacing here than the actual Reapers. Just wait, we haven't hit the idiotic part of this plotline yet.

: We are in Opacum, under siege. Many things will be decided here, but I sense your hesitation. Tell me one thing...

...Are you loving insane, Hode?

This is probably the worst thing you could do right now.

: No, I won't tempt the king.

: Do as you please, but Treeg is already mad at me. I'm in no position to grab Death by the whiskers. I ask that you respect that and refrain from insisting.

: Will you consider my selfish request to endanger myself, the crown prince of Jerana, under your command?

: Are you loving nuts?

: Awwwww.

: Gleda shivers and rubs her shoulders. "Dad, it's Brann Vichti's bolt! Unique to his bodyguards! But where could he be hiding? Why'd he do this?"

BRANN IS BAD BRANN IS BAD - ok, I guess I should say a little about this plotline. But I'm confused as to whether he has an entirely separate crossbow bolt production operation that no one is allowed to use. At that point that's not bodyguards, that's a private army.

: Tell Gleda to stay alert.

Brann is so bad he's lovely. Apparently he stole the money from his father that was supposed to pay the fort defenders and Stakhet is covering it up.

Stakhet is a lovely father, is what I'm saying.

: You turn to your daughter to warn her-and see her scanning the room, hand resting on the hilt of her sword.

: Hopper looks around the throne room and shrugs. "Perhaps I just need to sleep off this headache."

: The conversation drowns in the sound of trumpets. "Enough talk!" you say. "Get up! The king's here!"

: Place Gleda behind Hopper.

: You take Gleda by the shoulder and carefully move her behind Hopper. In times of trouble, there's no need to draw the king's attention.

: Gleda looks to you and whispers of her discomfort with the situation. She feels like something is about to happen. She looks at you, then again at Treeg. The king draws closer...

: You place your hand on the hilt of your sword. What could possibly go wrong at a feast where all the guests can be trusted?

: You freeze in a courteous bow. The king has shown you that you've fallen from his grace. Everyone wonders what will happen to you now. You expect the worse, dire thoughts overwhelm you. However, your own fate is not the reason...

Remember, the bad guy theme is playing super loudly here.

: The king rises, pointing to the stain on the floor. "On this very spot, a treacherous villain killed my friend Sheck-my commander of the guard. Today, I lament him, just as I would any of you, just as you'd lament me. Depends on whose luck runs out first."

So, yes, Treeg can be killed here, by either Coronzon, Stein, Sopp, or Tenner (who we killed back at Thorn's place). I was deeply disappointed to learn that he lived.

: "But this feast is no funeral banquet", Treeg continues. "It's an occasion to meet new friends and hear important news. No aid is coming. We should brace ourselves for anything. Opacum is thought to be impregnable, and our scouts report only moderate numbers of Frisians. But, lest we forget, it is Reaptime.

: "All Berkanan troops have been mobilized," the king bellows. "They protect our homes from the Enses and other abominations. Opacum is our frontier. It has never been taken, and shall not be taken while we still live!"

While I strongly dislike Thorn, I can't deny he's getting a raw deal here.

If anyone can explain Treeg's motivation in a way that doesn't make him look like an enormous crack enthusiast, be my guest!

Breaking the update here because it's nearly 4 am, I need to sleep, and we have a doozy for tomorrow!

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 17, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat, not mustache guard.

Surprised to see Brann take direct action. Guess he'll be opening the gates soon.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Why is everything so loving stupid. Whywhywhywhywhy.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hopper Rouley and the Ineffectual Negotiations

When we last left our...protagonists...they were all at the magic city of Opacum where they were supposed to be because a dark god was rising and they had to be ready to kill a helpless woman to save the world? Or something.

We get a pan over the siege, which I suspect the developers forgot to include the "ThornAtOpacum" check. Oh well!

How was that inspiring? He threw the man who saved his son in the dungeon!

: Beside you is Gleda Brenin, still shaken from the guards taking her father waya. You sense mysterious power within the seemingly fragile girl. Philia's power, you suddenly realize, is no lesser.

This is the game telling us Philia can host the dark god.

We should talk to her.

Ash of Gods would like you to know they put women in a video game.

Ooh la la!

: My stone knife! She brought it here. Perhaps you are the seeress! The knife provides a glimmer of hope. Perhaps it will stop an overzealous Reaper. What is Gleda interested in?

: It's not about Opacum itself.

: What is it then? Is it about the dead menhir? Why do the Frisians need it?

Do you want to share the reason with the class?

: Because there is no noose.

: Are you talking about the Reaping? It doesn't choke us in Opacum. Why is that?

: You'll know it when you see it.

...pornography?

: And will I be marked? What will happen to me if it... happens? Can I resist it?

: I am not a fortuneteller, Gleda.

: You have a blackened hand... is that not a mark? What are you going to do?

: If I knew what to do, I'd be doing it already. Philia, what did your mother tell you?

What? Who is "she"?

Remember, I've beaten this game twice and I have no idea!

: I wish I knew where the seventh fragment is. The meanings of "in the very end" and "on the dearest one" still elude me. I suppose it's not over yet, though nothing dear to me remains. In any case, why trouble yourself with this?

Uhhhh...wow.

: Ok, everyone keeps talking about a "marked one" and staring at me. What the hell?

: Well, you see, the Reapers need the menhir to summon a dark god into a mortal body. Except it has to be one specially bred with power from this world for...reasons. Anyway, you're a candidate.

: Oh come on! Who says that black hand isn't a mark, huh? Can I fight it?

: Ha ha no. I'm still debating whether we kill you or not.

: Mushom lashes out. "Mushom has never sought cover! No, I needed to talk to the party from Ursus. I showed them the bolt that killed Sheck. Said it looked familiar, and I was right! Brann Vichti's mercs use bolts like that. It was them, or the count's wretched son, hiding under his daddy's wing in the fortress!"

I still want to know why Brann equips all his troops with distinctive bolts. Come to think of it, the only crossbow troops we see in the game are Frisian. Couldn't Brann have used one of their bolts?

Just wait, this gets dumber.

: You ask Mushom to elaborate. "Not so fast. I've heard the story of the stolen funds. Brann's doing or not, why would he kill Sheck? What does it change?"

We really think Treeg is going to forgive and forget, huh. Brann is probably going to be sentenced to death by crucifixion.

What else are we going to do with our lives?

"Hearing?" Hopper was at the feast where they dragged Thorn away!

: Thorn sheathes his sword and shrugs. "Neither. I've given a word of honor for the siege. Hederlig expressed gratitude for visiting him in Friga. I'll be back in the dungeon when the siege is over."

: You nod. "I see. I'll find you up on this bastion if I need you. Watch your daughter-she seems likely to leap from that wall and go at the Frisians. It's going to get rough soon."

: They are trebuchets.

: Large throwing machines. They'll soon hurl massive stones our way. Or something worse...

Have your obligatory proofreading error of the update.

: The siege can last a long time.

: Perhaps it will soon end. If the fortress has a good supply of food and water, the siege could last months. But it's not that simple...

: The siege won't last long now. The Berkanan army is on its way!

: True, there are no prisoners.

The what now?

: Dead bodies... They slaughtered all prisoners[sic]. But to what end? Do they plan to hurl corpses at us?

: I should be going then.

The grammar gets worse and worse.

: It's not likely, Gleda. The Frisians will storm the fortress. Unless, of course, we surrender.

: Never! I'll die before I surrender!

: You're a nerd, so you can tell me how war works!

: Well, those guys have trebuchets, so they're going to throw crap at us. They've also slaughtered all the prisoners for...reasons.

: Well, the rest of the Berkanans are gonna show up and save us, right?

: Only to be met by the rest of the Frisians.

: Look! A parley flag! Maybe they don't want to fight!

: Lol no you're dumb.

: You recognize Mushom. "Stakhet Vichti summons you, Hopper. We'll be negotiating with the Frisians, but we lack a good interpreter. The count is going to placate them with a feast, and then suss out their intentions. How's your Frisian? Do you even speak it?"

Poisoning messengers in antiquity was an excellent way to get destroyed. Notably, Genghis Khan ravaged entire nations because they executed his messengers.

Gird your loins for some hardcore negotiation here.

: A potbellied official waddles in front, followed by several warriors. Many more royal guards remain in the throne room. Stakhet is hardly in danger. Still, the two figures keeping their distance seem highly suspicious.

Remember this guy?

Lo Pheng's first chapter posted:

He was the inept idiot Lo Pheng used to work for, before he bailed because Reapers are bad and Reet is cute.

: Taking Stakhet Vichti's hint, you step forward. "I will translate your words, Count," you say, in Frisian. "The replies too, if you so wish."

The irony of the Ash of Gods devs making fun of Soturi for being bad at foreign languages yet releasing...this is not lost on me.

: You will be content with talking to me, Pelko Soturi. Count to count, so to say. You're related to the kings of Frisia, so I've been told, but I will never believe that it is you who commands the army gathered outside Opacum's walls.

God, this is a clunky excuse for the 3 Mandatory Exposition Questions.

: He's asking why the gates aren't open yet.

: Because the glory of Berkana shines bright as her blades!

: You fools! Opacum will fall at Frisia's feet before the day ends!

: He's asking what kind of warriors you have.

: Soon enough, you'll see what my soldiers are made of-especially if you attempt to storm the fortress.

: It will be their final battle. I hope their fear will not befoul the fortress as my warriors are taking it.

...what if it's a rap battle?

: He's asking if we have a brave ruler.

: Braver than the most desperate Frisian in your army. You'll see for yourself, very soon!

: Horror awaits your king. If he wishes to live, he'd best kneel before me. I've come for one reason-to convince you to surrender the fortress, immediately.

: End these negotiations, Count!

: There are sorcerers in Pelko Soturi's entourage. I can sense them weaving spells.

: Impossible! There's no Reaping within Opacum's walls! No Reapers and no sorcery!

: Surrender the fortress, or I will be forced to make fun of your small Berkan penises!

: You gonna take that poo poo?

: Never! My-my penis! It's so big! Unlike yours, which is smaller than a gnat.

: Ha ha! Your penis is small and weak, unlike mine, which one lady told me she'd like to see once.

: That's a lie! My penis is bigger!

: Count Vichti, while you're engaged in this idiotic argument those offscreen guys with Pelko are casting some kind of spell to gently caress us over.

: You guys are morons.

Hopper is caught in the dreaded Cutscene Power! How will he escape?

: Pelko Soturi laughs triumphantly, patting his belly in anticipation of victory. Another's sorcery imbues him with power, tightening his lax shape, as if giving him a second youth. He is a murderer washing himself in blood to feel like a beast, a torturer savoring a victims cries, a glutton overcome by the scent of food.

More is not better...

: You whisper a protective enchantment to loosen the magical bons, desperately trying to figure out who infiltrated Opacum disguised as Temple servants. Is it Dorpkhal? Atraakh? Or Adna? You draw the knife tucked beneath your belt and, forcing through magic, throw it at the Frisian official.

So the narration mentioned sorcerers and dark magic. What do you expect to face? Conjured beasts from the depths of hell? Sorcerers hurling lightning torn from the skies? The dead raised and enslaved to kill again?

Joke's on you! It's just another bog-standard squad of the same old Frisian troops!

Also notice Pelko's corpse in front there. It's a nice touch.

Same old poo poo. There's a bunch of running around and skill spamming but we're never in any real danger. The spell I suspect is less to raise the stakes and more to explain why Hopper is, once again, fighting alone.

: "Hopper! You damned booklover! How did you do this?" cries Stakhet Vichti. "You're worth a hundred of my guards! What kind of magic is this? Why do my guards still piddle about like a flock of plucked chickens?"

Oh no! Is it BRANN IS BAD?

Decisions lie before us!

Are we taking Thorn or Lo Pheng to the ending?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm gonna assume which character we pick also picks their retinue, and I'm way more interested in Lo Pheng's companions than Thorn's. Lo Pheng, please!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Lo Pheng, was there ever any doubt? If we're going to see the end of this game, we may as well end it with the better choice of the three.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lo Pheng can actually fight, though I bet the game will give you a bad ending for picking him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The choice seems pretty clear at this point.

I'd vote for Lo Pheng too though.

A bit late but props to the two sisters for ditching the party without warning though. They kept their word.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Lo Pheng and the Titties of the Great Ancestress

Just a warning, you might not want to read this one at work.

The thread was unanimous and voted Lo Pheng in as our endgame hero.

Let's do this!

So the animations of the trebuchet firing keep playing in the background. It's a nice touch.

: He did not order the attack. The Frisians legions [sic] moved, as if guided by an invisible hand, before the parley party returned. An enormous, copper-plated ram slogged forth. Squads of archers crept ahead, shielding themselves. The infantry moved briskly, holding hastily covered ladders above their heads.

: The trebuchets launched giant stones that sailed over the defenders' faces and crashed thunderously into the walls. The blasts of drums and the wail of Frisian pipes muddled the desperate cries of the attackers and defenders alike. It began.

And with that we get more talking.

The game is going to try to make Amma seem more human here, and I don't think it at all succeeds.

: Where did you come from?

: Same place all the abominations came from...the menhirs, Reapers, Enses and Umbra. Everything that nearly burned Terminum to a crisp. I ran away... and ended up on an Eikon ship in the middle of a storm-a small vessel called the Great Serpent. Only ten families seeking refuge were aboard.

: And they thought you were a goddess?

: Why must we kill Reapers?

: Why did you send a Reaper to attack our island eight hundred years ago?

: Where did the stones in our bodies come from?

: I've been looking for a way to protect you from the Reaping, ever since the first one. Back then, menhirs only had the power to kill. The priests of the new faith doused them in blood-which sometimes produced strixes. However, the priests were oblivious to stones' special properties [sic]. I was the first to pick them up.

: How did they end up in our bodies?

: And all of this will end?

: Everything ends eventually, making room for the new. But it's quite final... for the one who is dead. I don't know how it is with humans, but I feel as if I'm on the brink.

Amma is a divine messenger of the Gods who doesn't know what happens after you die, one of the divine mysteries that pretty much any divinity can answer. It's an interesting characterization of Umbra.

: Are you thinking of leaving again?

I think this is the game trying to make Amma sympathetic. The problem is that she's kind of a loving monster and turned the Eikons into monsters as well. Is this an actual lament or a psychopath's victimization complex? You decide!

(I lean toward the latter now).

This is Lo Pheng's answer and it's one of the reasons he's better than the other two protagonists. Thorn will start his Dick Dawkins act, Hopper will be angry about the curse, but Lo Pheng calmly accepts whatever bullshit is thrown his way, draws his sword, and prepares to spit in the eye of God.

And Amma cracks under the sorcery of her old master.

: Can you tell me about the history of my people that you were there for?

: Yea, I basically turned them into walking weapons to fight the Reaping. The Reapers were going to kill you all otherwise. Anyway, just so you know, I have no compunctions about sacrificing tons of you guys for the greater good - I even invited a Reaper to kill half of you for being too arrogant.

: I see. Will all this Reaper extradimensional crap end?

: Yes. It will probably kill me too. Woe is me! I taught your people, I founded the monastery that trained Andra and Foshta to make Strong Independent Women, but that failed. I tried to live a normal life, but that failed. I used the Eikons like cattle, and that failed. Don't you feel sorry for me?

: So be it. I fight to the last. ...Are you even here any more?

: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

: Aaaah! Run away!

Remember, Lo Pheng and Gleda have never met, so she shows up as "weird kid."

...The women in this game just can't stop looking at Lo Pheng, huh?

This is a reminder that Lo Pheng could probably solo his way through Thorn's whole squad.

: Pardon my manners, but we've not yet been introduced. I've heard you're from Frisia. Tell me, what do the Frisians want? Why do they need this fortress?

: She is not "my" redhead.

Another cool thing about Lo Pheng is that he strenuously objects to the idea that he is the master of anyone. While Thorn demands complete obedience from his followers, Lo Pheng is very assiduous about reminding the girls that they're free now, and they follow him not because they have to but because they want to - same with Dume, Ruor, Alus, and Khama.

: I'm my own mistress, but what you said about the headache is true. So many odd things in here. An odd menhir, an odd Reaping... It seems as if someone has cast spells on the throne room.

In the other two protagonists' paths we have a fight with Brann Vichti after he murders his father. Remember when I said Andra and Foshta had the dumbest ending? They show up in that fight as enemies and get slaughtered. Guess Andra was OK with Brann after all.

: (In a detached manner) I'm a swordsman, not a sorcerer, but magic or no magic, we should keep an eye on the gate. When the fighting begins, you'll forget all about your headache.

: If you wish to know what the Frisians want, you should ask them.

: I doubt that even the Frisians could tell you what brought them here. But that's not stopping them from dying at the walls.

: Oh, I don't doubt it. But do we know if they're being reinforced? Three legions isn't much to pitch against the whole of Berkana.

: Not the best time to chat.

: I don't mind talking...while we still can. The Frisians are all too eager to attack.

: True, their siege ladders are too short, but their soldiers are fearless. They fight like they don't feel any pain nor fear death. It's rumored that sorcery drives them!

: What difference does that make to us? No sorcery pushes us back!

: That's only because the Reaping is powerless in Opacum. For one thing... my head feels like a menhir shard! It's literally ringing with pain.

:psyduck: Thorn, are you really doing this? Reet is saying your daughter has a talent, and you throw it back in her face by boasting about her frankly mediocre sword skills to an Eikon warrior of peace.

Never let it be said that Thorn was a smart man.

: Can you explain why you've been staring at me like a weirdo for the last hour?

: Who are you? You're from Frisia, right? Can you give me the lowdown on why the Frisians are here?

: Let me introduce myself. I'm Thorn Brenin, and somehow I know your redhead is suffering the same headache as my daughter here.

: Reet is a strong independent woman who doesn't need no man and I am not her master. It would be pretty cool if she picked me, though.

: Seems like some weird magic bullshit is going down.

: Magic is for NERDS! A real man like me watches the gate!

: In all seriousness, I can't say what the Frisians want.

: They must be driven by WITCHES, who I SUDDENLY DESPISE FOR NO REASON!

: Actually, if your daughter is being hit by the same thing I am, she'd probably be a pretty good witch.

: Don't slander my daughter you crazy woman! She's a super awesome swordsman! She's so good she makes teen boys horny!

: A warrior of peace is polite and does not comment on obviously false statements about sword skills.

We have two more dialogue boxes to get through. Talking to Reet triggers the end game.

: Powerful trebuchets have already dealt considerable damage to Opacum's bastions. Still, the inner castle stands firm. If you retreat behind its walls, you can likely hold out a while longer. The Frisian ram will do poorly in the castle courtyard. When drowning a city in blood, one must avoid also drowning oneself.

: They fight fiercely and stubbornly in their own lands. They have been known to ambush travelers on the highways, but they dare not attack fortresses!

Let's chat with the lovely Reet one more time.

: (In a calm voice) What do you hope to see there? Nearly every warrior will perish at the walls, just as we might.

I think she means to say "attack", the siege is just sitting outside the castle waiting.

: Negotiations are, most likely, over.

: Maybe they weren't real negotiators. The ones dressed as Temple servants looked like sorcerers. Is it possible? The Temple has always persecuted sorcerers.

: If you wish to know who the Temple fights against, you should ask who leads it.

Lo Pheng and Reet were both there when the head of the Temple turned out to be a Reaper.

: Why do you care about those bags?

This is what Lo Pheng saved all the girls from.

: The Triple Menhir is stained with blood as well. The Enses worshiped it... but this menhir is dead.

You know, this brings up an interesting point. Khama is still with us. He's in our party. Literally no one has questioned having a friendly Ense around. This never gets mentioned, ever.

You also can't even get here with Reet if you don't save Khama, so, uh, what the hell, devs?

: Get away from the edge. Do not tempt the enemy archers.

: (Looking at the menhir) Wait...I think I sense something...

: (Musingly) Magic, Reet. The magic of Opacum is blending with the magic of the Reaping. Fire and steel coming together, and in this frying pan, blood is the oil. We just need to learn what the dish is.

: (Turning around) A messenger is on the way. I would not be surprised if we are summoned-the Frisians began the siege too quickly!

: Let's go! I'll help the commander!

: None of this makes sense! Why are they attacking when their negotiators are still here? Why did they bring bags of blood from the dead prisoners? What are they planning?

: Only way to find out is to see what happens. Get down, I don't want you getting shot.

: Come quick! Brann finally shot his father to repay him for his crappy parenting skills, and we apparently need more healers!

: This is my route, so I smell a boss fight. Let's all go.

: The cacophony from outside makes the woman shudder. "No need for a healer, Eikon. My name is Philia. Stakhet Vichti is dead. If this was a random arrow, its precision was most unfortunate. The count's son still lurks about-a vile man, by all accounts. The guards are searching, but finding him will take time."

BRANN IS BAD BRANN IS BAD.

Ha ha, nice. Someone recognizes Hopper on sight. Go Reet.

: Have a closer look at the stranger.

Proofreaders, no!

: The man glances warily at the windows. "My name is Hopper. I'm no hero, and I don't see any arrows stuck in me. That battle was ages ago... Do you think its veterans still wander the roads of Terminum? I'm only a humble... scribe, one who failed to save the commander. Are you feeling all right? Your brow is burning."

Considering that half the veterans are the Reapers right outside...yes I do, "Hopper".

: Reet touches her forehead with a wince. "Yes, I'm a bit under the weather. Probably just a cold."

: Before Reet can reply, Mushom barges in clearly upset. "Bad news! The menhir collapsed! I'll rush to our ruler-you shouldn't linger here either. Every blade counts!" With that, he runs off.

Uh oh...

: Hopper steps back. Beads of sweat have formed on his brow. He is fighting something invisible, something trying to nail him to the throne room floor. "Gods almighty..." he says, struggling. "How can this be, Amma? How can this be? She's enchanted...and also weaves an enchantment herself. She's summoning someone. Careful!"

We, uh, did tell people Khama was a good Ense and not to shoot him, right?

That's not good. Why in God's name did we need to see her nipples?

At first I was going to write this off as "stupid bullshit", but it works perfectly for Lo Pheng. Metaphorically, this stands for realizing the clan's brutal teachings are monstrous and by literally fighting the Great Ancestress Lo Pheng is also fighting her teachings.

So Amma here has lost her shirt (Calz was big on free the nipple, apparently) but gained some abilities.

An astute observer will notice that none of these abilities come close to dealing 42 damage, and thus Lo Pheng can no-sell all her attacks.

Out goes the Phengster.

This idiot doesn't understand the whole "Cloud Tower" thing and gets mutilated for his stupidity.

Swarty lines up a shot against Amma's triple-digit HP. I have a plan to trivialize this fight, because Amma doesn't really do anything interesting and it's not her fault.

I fail to catch the Warlock using Pillar of Ash on poor Swarty (I'd thought he would go after Lo Pheng) but I do catch Reet executing his worthless rear end. We need to get to turn two.

Always the gentleman, Khama retaliates against this Ense who hit him to get him off Swarty's back.

This does nothing to stop Amma from moving in and beating the crap out of poor Swarty, which would make me upset if I didn't know about the big gently caress You gimmick of this fight.

Remember this thing? I've basically only pulled it out for Reaper fights. It works on Amma here (and even works on the final boss) so we can cheese the ever loving crap out of this fight by not dealing with her hundred plus HP and just killing her in one turn.

Shannet goes and kills Amma with her bloodletting attack.

Huh?

Yea, welcome to the gently caress You gimmick of this fight. As soon as you kill Amma, she lets out a scream that instantly KO's every fighter on the battlefield. Yes, this does mean the entire active party gets a free injury. gently caress you for playing!

Hopper throws the knife at Amma and she dies. Prophecy fulfilled! :toot:

Confirming that yes, you do eat an injury from dealing with this. Good job, devs!

And with that Lo Pheng overcomes whatever has held his humanity back.

: You barely come to your senses when Philia rushes to Hopper. "You cherished her, didn't you? Do you remember the hint? Do you? Take a look! Hurry while she still has not yet turned to ashes!"

The last riddle. :toot:

: Philia repeats the scribe's words and bobs her head. "I don't get it. Something's missing. There was something else. Something about everything becoming clear in the end. Maybe it's not yet time?"

...I can't even blame Lo Pheng for that reaction because I, too, tire of their cryptic bullshit.

: Point at Hopper.

: Hopper struggles to speak, as if bleeding from an invisible wound. "She was made into a Reaper. By those who tried to take Opacum. I had a weapon that could kill a Reaper. And so Amma is no more. She knew it. She foresaw everything..."

: You never take your eyes off Hopper. "By 'they' you mean the ones who orchestrated the Reaping? And what did you kill her with? I saw you holding some kind of...dagger."

: Hopper nods. "Yes, they are the ones responsible for the Reaping. And yes, that was a knife. A special stone knife. The only one I had and it crumbled to pieces the moment it struck Amma,"

: Glance at Reet.

: Reet barely manages to keep herself straight, her eyes glued to Hopper.

Aw, poo poo.

Reet! Nooooo!

: (Panting) We can't hold out much longer. He means to take one of the women, and he may have already chosen one. The menhir has been destroyed. As soon as three Umbra are killed, he'll be incarnated.

: Who is her mother?

It's not clear but this is Hopper replying.

: Where is she?

: (Wearily) I know not, but I'm certain of one thing-she didn't crawl into a hole to hide. She's where she is supposed to be.

: What did she say?

: What should we do, Philia?

: (With a doomed look) I asked her how to find out who'd been cursed. She told me the blood would reveal it. Remove your amulets and give your blood. A few drops will suffice. That's all. Then she left.

: We're hosed, aren't we?

: Yup. My mother told me everything. Once the last Umbra is dead, the god will rise. He's gonna pick one of us to be his vessel, and devastate the world.

: Is your mom gonna do anything to help us?

: She's doing cryptic magic poo poo. She did tell me how to figure out who the god would possess. Everyone make like an Evanescence concert and cut yourself.

: The party does. A triangular mark appears on Reet's forehead

: Well, gently caress.

: Illuminati confirmed.

: (Gloomily) You can't do anything. You cannot stop an avalanche, can you?

: Look it in the eye, at least.

: The question remains...what should we do?

That's Hopper speaking.

: We must not act rashly.

If Thorn's party has low morale, they will attack Reet and Lo Pheng will be forced to kill them.

: (Angrily) The mark on my forehead means nothing! Nothing! I won't back down from gods nor Reapers-and certainly not from any of you!

Before we go any further, I'm going to show off the bad ending we didn't get but 99% of people who played this game did. This is not the LP save, this is an old save I had of a practice run.

The Road Not Taken posted:

: "He who can take action must act and pay for his action," you calmly say to the others. "However, her blood is on all of you. Think about it when the time for repentance comes. I'm leaving now, and no one may follow me."

So, yes. If you don't get Lo Pheng's morale up - basically his humanity score - he murders the woman he loves and then walks into the battle to die. The god picks either Gleda or Philia depending on who's alive and you have to play as Thorn or Hopper at the endgame.

This is the Lo Pheng ending 99% of players will see. Don't believe me?

The devs themselves cannot tell you how to get Lo Pheng's good ending.

It seems to be based on morale, which is why I made such a big deal of the path of mercy. Take it. Now, for the real ending:

He can't do it. Thanks in no small part to your wise choices, goons, Lo Pheng is going to face the end as a man, and not a monster.

Thorn gives us the Reaper killing knife. It's time to shank a bitch.

For someone who got his rear end beat twice, Nakoma sure thinks he's hot poo poo.

Now we have the knife and can finally kill this little punk.

: Something weighs Hopper down. He can barely keep upright, but when he speaks, his voice is clear and fearless. "You all plotted this entire scheme in advance, didn't you, Atraakh? Who else is with you? All of them? Dorpkhal, Adna, Tibibar, Childao? Did you entice Coronzon? His guardians, too?"

: Nakoma laughs. "You don't need to know, this, Blance. The deed is done, so why don't we have some fun? Eikon! Do we not have a score to settle? Can you still swing a sword?"

This is the final battle.

Decisions lie before us!

This is the game's final boss, and we are going to beat this little bitch like he owes us money.. To that end, I need your help, goons. I will be force-deploying Lo Pheng, but I need you to vote for up to five professional rear end-whoopers to beat the ever loving poo poo out of Atraakh.

This means, that yes, if you want to see what unholy terrors Lo Pheng can unleash with buffed attack we can send Ramlin along. Or the Lo Pheng/Thorn AoE extravaganza. Choose wisely, goons!

(Yea, I hosed up and we don't get Hode. We have Shannet, she does the same thing while being much cuter. Deal with it.)

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 16, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

As much as I'd rather just say to use only the Lo Pheng crew, I think the final boss deserves to be thoroughly smashed into oblivion with as much as buffing as possible. Bring Ramlin along for insane power.

I also vote we don't take Thorn with us. The raging manchild and his hops doesn't deserve the credit for this.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's the end so let's see maximum Lo Pheng with Ramlin.

Part of why I wanted Lo Pheng to lead the way was because I was curious how he was going to react to Hopper killing Amma since I assumed that prophecy was still going to be undefeated.

I like the theory of Lo Pheng's good/bad end with the story abruptly ending if you don't really commit to being a better person. In execution, it seems terribly unforgiving and frustrating.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

In the other two protagonists' paths we have a fight with Brann Vichti after he murders his father. Remember when I said Andra and Foshta had the dumbest ending? They show up in that fight as enemies and get slaughtered. Guess Andra was OK with Brann after all.

Brann, surprisingly forgiving person. What a let down for characters that weren't standing on their own to begin with.

Having Atraakh obviously be super mad at Lo Pheng is pretty satisfying.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hypocrisy posted:

I like the theory of Lo Pheng's good/bad end with the story abruptly ending if you don't really commit to being a better person. In execution, it seems terribly unforgiving and frustrating.

It's telling that the devs can't tell you how to get it. You have to:

1. Not kill Reet. Ok, that makes sense.
2. Give Reet the sacred clan stone immediately, or Shannet kills Alus and you're turbofucked. Kinda stupid, but I see what they're going for
3. Pick the right roads and encounters. If you don't avoid a particular location Lo Pheng massacres everyone and the player can't stop him. The game gives you no idea what the "right" choice is - remember back at the beginning, when I tried to threaten the guards to avoid killing them and Lo Pheng killed them anyway?

I'll be honest, I would never have gotten us here without using multiple guides. I think you have to remember all the memories and get morale to Average, but I don't know and I can't prove it. I've seen people arguing 60% morale (demonstrably false), I've seen people saying to avoid the memories, and the devs response is that they don't know and can't tell you.

There is a much rarer ending for Thorn (that I have no idea how to show off) where Gleda hears she's marked from Hopper and kills herself to save the world. An enraged Thorn attacks Hopper and you have to pick one of the two heroes to fight to the death.

If you choose Thorn with an evil Lo Pheng, he attacks and tries to kill Gleda and you have to kill him.

There is a lot of wacky madness that can happen at the end of the game, which is part of the reason I decided to LP it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lo Pheng, Ramlin, and the Brenin Clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'll be honest, I would never have gotten us here without using multiple guides. I think you have to remember all the memories and get morale to Average, but I don't know and I can't prove it.

Its always good when you cannot just play a game and have to look things up.

Also Votes:
  • Lo Pheng
  • Khama
  • Reet