Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
One Piece good?
It's great
Meh
One Piss
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Google tells me Shonen Anime is targeted to preteen and teenage boys.

So is the MCU

Also say what you want about Oda drawing the girl with the big boobs, a lady dressed up as her for a performance and then they met and got married, and then he started drawing her with bigger boobs. Dude's a wife guy

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

best anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0YAJR6xQQ

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Alert! Ghost Puncher X.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress YOU TOONAMI I WANT TO SEE ASHA CLAN CLAN NAKED.

Same :sigh:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So is the MCU

Also say what you want about Oda drawing the girl with the big boobs, a lady dressed up as her for a performance and then they met and got married, and then he started drawing her with bigger boobs. Dude's a wife guy

Dude is winning at life.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like Jojo because it's short. Even though the manga's been running for decades you don't have to watch like 500 episodes.

What's the deal with that?

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also it's got relatively self contained arcs that tend to kill off 90% of the cast by the end. (Spoilers) Just the way the author likes to write it, works out well in the long run.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

verbal enema posted:

I have a one piece tattoo on the back of my hand

post it

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I liked yu yu hakusho. He did his kamehameha with just his finger. I haven't watched it since I was 11 so not sure if it holds up.

Looking at the art style now, actually, it looks pretty bad.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

great pretender on netflix is an anime that i think people who don't like anime could easily like. its a thriller about a ring of glamorous international con artists who only scam criminals in exotic locales and its only 20 episodes with an actual plotline and ending. I have no idea why it never got popular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anime's a lot like British TV where a lot of the good ones that everyone talks about are like 12 episodes and a movie if you're feeling fancy, and it's the mediocre crap that goes on forever. And yes, I'm aware of the hypocrisy as a self professed One Piece fan. (the main difference I feel is that One Piece feels like it was meant to be a big long saga rather than being stretched out over and over)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I started reading One Piece because I read this thread while drunk the other night and now the One Piece rap is permanently part of my intrusive thoughts.

Time is worthless. Hail Satan.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Schlong Connery posted:

I liked yu yu hakusho. He did his kamehameha with just his finger. I haven't watched it since I was 11 so not sure if it holds up.

Looking at the art style now, actually, it looks pretty bad.

The author for yu yu Hakusho (and now the perennially delayed Hunter X Hunter) is a really good artist capable of really intricate illustration. Almost nobody ever learns this because all his main characters have super simple faces to save time on drawing them over and over.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i watched yuyu hakushu and the first season was ok then they immediately had like a 100 episode fighting tournament arc that i never finished

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Baki is the best anime cuz its scantily clad buff dudes caving in each other’s faces

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i watched yuyu hakushu and the first season was ok then they immediately had like a 100 episode fighting tournament arc that i never finished

yeah I don't know why everyone I talk to about YYH loves the tournament so much, everything that happens afterwards is more experimental for the genre and a lot more interesting as a result

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Duck and Cover posted:

Speed Grapher

gonna call you way the gently caress out here for saying anything good about speed grapher, an anime about a photographer whose dick gets hard when he photographs people dying who makes out with a magical teenager who has been on puberty suppression drugs her whole life at an eyes-wide-shut orgy, giving him the power to explode whatever he takes a picture of, including lots and lots of weirdo BDSM people

he marries the magical waif eterna-child at the end

it is beyond bad and you are a bad person

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Space Fight Eternal: Punch! Punch! Big Mecha Saga

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I feel like a lot of people are posting about anime unironically itt but I know that can't be right

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Schoolgirl Battle Angel Crisis

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

syntaxfunction posted:

ITT we workshop anime ideas.

It's high school as you know it, but with demons. Nothing special happens, they're just normal people with horns and a tail.

It's a hospital, but the patients are death sentence crims and the docs are amateurs. It's a proving ground for everyone.

It's a prison, but the prison is for like, colour or something. The protagonist is the embodiment of the rainbow or some poo poo.

An upholsterer that goes on a journey to become the world's best lover, finding out his dexterity allows him skills unlike any other.

I guarantee that someone has written a light novel for all these ideas.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

halokiller posted:

I know for a fact that first one exists

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

this is what has kept me from watching it but everyone says it changes things up right after so im giving it another shot

whole thing is up on Hulu right now with the dub which is unusually good, especially for the time it was made

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

halokiller posted:

I assumed that every idea posted itt was a ironic description of an existing anime/manga.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yu Yu Sukmytoes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

gonna call you way the gently caress out here for saying anything good about speed grapher, an anime about a photographer whose dick gets hard when he photographs people dying who makes out with a magical teenager who has been on puberty suppression drugs her whole life at an eyes-wide-shut orgy, giving him the power to explode whatever he takes a picture of, including lots and lots of weirdo BDSM people

he marries the magical waif eterna-child at the end

it is beyond bad and you are a bad person

It has a lady that eats diamonds and the subbed version has the Girls on Film song for the opening which has to be like the most on the nose choice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIyGMkOTTw It's like space movies playing ground control to major tom.

I'll admit to forgetting how creepy it was and that he married the child. While I have a low opinion of One Piece (it's so loving boring) it shouldn't be on the list.

edit: Whoops I meant the subbed version the dubbed version had something else.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 15, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ngl i almost posted that at least it had Duran Duran for the original OT but decided not to

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

More than half of One Piece is going to be released between A Dance With Dragons and The Winds of Winter.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Good news if you didn't know Toonami didn't show the hot springs episode, so just go find that and you're good! Alternatively, you know the internet exists and she's a cat lady in an anime so yeah.

Rockman Reserve posted:

ngl i almost posted that at least it had Duran Duran for the original OT but decided not to

Everyone knows anime quality is determined by the opening song.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 15, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
List of Some Animes that are Good imo

- One Punch Man
- Stein's Gate
- Re: Zero
- Mob Psycho 100
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Akame Ga Kill
- Konosuba
- Darling in the Franxx
- Kaguya-Sama, Love is War
- Future Diary
- Space Dandy
- Golden Kamuy
- Monster Musume

If you are thinking about watching an anime, try one of these animes imo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

- One Punch Man
- Stein's Gate
- Re: Zero
- Mob Psycho 100
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Akame Ga Kill
- Konosuba
- Darling in the Franxx
- Kaguya-Sama, Love is War
- Future Diary
- Space Dandy
- Golden Kamuy
- Monster Musume

If you are thinking about watching an anime, try one of these animes imo.

I recommend not watching Darling in the Franxx as your starter anime.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 15, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Space Dandy is pretty good. The first ep is nothing special, but the rest of the show is great. I thought it was going to be too horny of a show for me to watch but theres some really weird episodes that make up for it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Space Dandy is pretty good. The first ep is nothing special, but the rest of the show is great. I thought it was going to be too horny of a show for me to watch but theres some really weird episodes that make up for it

Space Dandy is like a reverse-anime. Everything about it in the beginning makes you think it's gonna be a horny show. But after like three episodes they just cold drop it and it transforms into a stoner comedy about space dance offs, hunting legendary space fish, and parables about Mutually Assured Destruction.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
One thing I sincerely enjoy about watching anime is that a lot of shows have plots that cannot be explained in normal language without coming across like word salad.

Meme Poker Party posted:

- Darling in the Franxx

Oh no

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meme Poker Party posted:

Space Dandy is like a reverse-anime. Everything about it in the beginning makes you think it's gonna be a horny show. But after like three episodes they just cold drop it and it transforms into a stoner comedy about space dance offs, hunting legendary space fish, and parables about Mutually Assured Destruction.

The Dancingian episode is a masterpiece

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Watch GJ-Bu if you can fukkin find it anywhere please let me know

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

One Piece was great when I was 13, but I really don’t think it’s worth revisiting. I always lol when people talk about how emotional the Nami and Arlong arc made them. It’s pretty standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FacePox posted:

One Piece was great when I was 13, but I really don’t think it’s worth revisiting. I always lol when people talk about how emotional the Nami and Arlong arc made them. It’s pretty standard.

I think the Arlong arc was the farthest I could get while trying to watch it, it was just too boring and childish.

I also don't recommend Darling in the Franxx. It manages to be worse than One Piece.