Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone pushed far into the wave defense missions? I pushed past wave 20 in the first map nearly effortlessly with 150k value outpost, only stopped because the wave timers were getting long.
Because the supply drops give you an item that turns into research time reduction points, I'm thinking that might be the most efficient way to speed up research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The wave defense missions are currently bugged and don't increase rewards with waves. I've gotten to wave 30ish in the second map but exited out since I lost my last reward tower and didn't see a point in staying.

The best way to speed up research IMO is to just quick loot an easy map since each quick loot node counts as a day of research. Extracting with the wave defense research thingies does let you stockpile them for future research though. There's also the drones that are flying around on maps normally. As far as I've seen, I haven't seen a trader ask for those items and they sell for tech acceleration points too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
by the time you can handle city, you should have enough max power to do most or all of forest on autoloot.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
While the builder is still pretty janky, it's still a joy to see a plan come together.

This base was built for the sole purpose of being able to do what's in this video and everything else was sacrificed to make sure that this launch deployment would go off unimpeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQY7ohJDr3w

And it worked out real well.

Building this was a pain, mech hangers don't play nicely with basic walls and need an extra quarter height which makes power and support a nightmare to figure out.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Very nice!

The pace at which the size upgrades comes out made me reluctant to do upgrades, I have one to go and will finally be working with the proper space. A multi-selection drag and drop for components would do wonders for that!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Just wanted to show off my base progression.

This was my base around the end of snow and before I completed revamped into the double hanger design (ignore the red boxes, I've long since eaten those for level 2 material storage).

Front:

Back:

This base was very much built by just slapping whatever materials I had onto the default base design and expanding from there. Was difficult to keep up with ammo requirements and jumping all over the place with the cramped turrets to keep them loaded but was a lot of fun.

From there, I revamped into this double hanger design when doing city which formed the basis of most of my bases from then on. The first three pictures I posted earlier in this thread, but the fourth is my current endgame design.

The thing that let me really start going wide and tall with my designs was discovering that advanced armor tiles consume way less support for the ground they cover. So as long as they're the ceiling tiles I can extend way further out sideways from supports than with just normal tiles.

I actually have two versions of the fourth base. The pictured one has a small belt loop with ammo makers to feed the autoloaders but I also have a manual version where they're all regular ammo makers instead and you have to mash Z to have them keep producing ammo or refill them manually.

With Vanguards in the mech hangers, their little hop dash deployment has them park right on the platform, which inspired me to make a new design which I showed off with the video from earlier. That design is nearing completion now, and looks like this:

Front view of the deployment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQAESL7IwE

Big fan of artillery lob shots so I make an effort to try and include space where I can put artillery pieces.

What I'm the most proud of in my designs is that all my bases are fully walkable in the interior and look decent on the inside (no pillar spam). If they ever add aesthetic items like chairs, desks, or tables, I'll definitely be sprucing up the inside with those. The middle tower in this base is designed to be a control room of sorts with lots of windows for visibility and the top level is supposed to be for sniping priority targets if they loiter outside the range of the turrets. The one issue with this base is that the front center auto loader only has two advanced ammo makers feeding it and three regular ammo makers so I do need to babysit this design a bit more and can't completely AFK harder difficulty runs.

I've removed the close side windows and Hellfire turret for visibility, but here's a look at the front interior mech hanger.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nice! I'm definitely going to need to rework a few things to get more artillery- especially now that I have discovered the automatic shell-crafter that unlocks after all the available story missions.

New patch today did a number of things, but the biggest is the shop's offerings got expanded and the stock deepened by a lot- after a few rolls I saw offerings like:
-5 recruitment beacons
-100 fiber
-20 material crates
-50 capacitors and liquid metal
-10 armored panels
-5 CIWS
-10 control modules (!!!!)

Money runs are looking more attractive than ever, and they were already good.

They also plan for the next major content drop near the end of the month.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I really like artillery in general because calling in the shot from command mode is just awesome when you can delete entire waves and even the spawners.

But the autofire mode definitely needs some work. There's too many things that count as "large" and I want some distinction between the big tank enemies, apostles, and planes. Letting the artillery auto target large means they end up wasting a lot of shots into small enemy groups. With a base design with the artillery elevated and in the rear, they also waste a ton of shots trying to shoot down the planes as they fly in too.

The patch today fixed the Envoy issue in City. Previously, they'd just sort of appear on the right hand side of your base right next to the border. Now it looks like it's working as intended. There's a dropship that spawns from the front right of your base that attempts to drop them off on the mining platform at your back right. I think previously they would always spawn even if the dropship got blown up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Nice bases!

Sorry for not updating things in the OP. I needed a break from this game after powergaming it since it dropped. I got frustrated with the red resource drops, but it looks like they have fixed that.

I'll try to update and clean stuff up in the OP guide. Fingers crossed that they keep dropping patches and finish the story mode soon. That ending is really such a :negative: moment. I need to take the fight to Ciel.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Having a real shitshow right now on a max loot city 5 extract. Something between the host's computer and the netcode is not happy. Range of effects includes various buttons refusing to function, 5 second desync, backpack not functioning, cannot pick up items, cannot activate base objects, etc. Bummer considering we are only at 80 ping or so.
edit: with ping also spiking to 180
edit2: we survived! Attempt 5, the netcode cooperated a little more and the boss was the walker, much more doable and non-game killing.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's been a ton of updates on the PTR so expect a lot of changes next week

I'm looking forward to getting some inspiration to build a new base especially with updated base building tools (and chairs!).

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
What city difficulty will have the gas station? It has the last blueprint I need, and in 5 runs I haven't seen it on 3 or 4.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Once you're eligible for a blueprint, any version of the relevant node can have it. This means that you can find it in Snow even if you get the node. Just luck whether the right node spawns or not.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I badly underestimated how long it would take to create a base using maximum size/all tech. I wanted to do a conveyor ammo belt running all the way to the top and back down. I admitted defeat after a couple hours of wrangling "no support" issues with ramps. I have gone back to a high belt dropping into a low belt where most ammo will be used.

As it stands, maybe 75% done

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Patch is out, time to design a new base!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Released it just after I wrapped up!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Looks very nice! The non symmetric design gives it a kind of livable quality that's not so robotic.

I'm brainstorming the theme for my next build and trying to figure out how to really max out core power at the same time since it goes all the way to 10k now (with diminishing returns after 3k and 5k).

Pretty sure I want to try something like a TriForce given the name of the new upgraded 406s, but I don't know if I'm really ready to build with triangles.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Having just popped in to see if my base exploded with the new path, I'm pleased to report that it is more stable than before (being allowed to place an upper-level floor that kept showing invalid previously) and only required removing a tile that was, admittedly, hanging rather precariously off the side. So no huge impact, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Hyper Inferno posted:

Looks very nice! The non symmetric design gives it a kind of livable quality that's not so robotic.

I'm brainstorming the theme for my next build and trying to figure out how to really max out core power at the same time since it goes all the way to 10k now (with diminishing returns after 3k and 5k).

Pretty sure I want to try something like a TriForce given the name of the new upgraded 406s, but I don't know if I'm really ready to build with triangles.

Thanks! With these types of builds, I typically start off thinking symmetry and end up deviating. Been a while since I actually enjoyed spending so much time building something like this.

New wave defense is definitely better, though still on the slow side. It could probably use better difficulty/reward levers.

New 406 is incredible, hands down.