Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:sigh:

Coming to the realization that I need to start coming up with plans to retire the bike for the season. Against almost all odds I think my first year riding motorcycles went pretty well. Started on a 600cc bike against what people said, got my license from the DMV before I took my MSF against what people said. Even practiced MSF/ALS-MOST course layouts night after night against what people said. Since the end of November last year to now I put 3k on the ZX600, sold that, bought a SV650, put 6k on that. 3 road trips to WI, tons of days riding into work, countless hours logged riding in pouring rain.

Overall I think everything turned out pretty well :unsmith:

My method probably won't work for everyone but it was great for me. My overly paranoid riding habits shaped a decent touring-style rider. I can also honestly say I have yet to pop a wheelie although that is still one thing I want to accomplish one of these days :keke:

Hope everyone else had as good of a season that I did. Amazing to look back and think that last year around this time I was scared shitless to ride my bike out of the neighborhood and last weekend I drove to WI for ThanksGiving in the pouring rain both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Coming to the realization that I need to start coming up with plans to retire the bike for the season.

What's up started-in-November '08-and-have-owned-two-bikes buddy? We even have ridden almost the same number of miles! (I have a couple thousand more than you neener neener)

I've also crashed. :(

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
3000 some miles on my first bike since July. Uneventful other than what's to be expected of a 27 year old bike I got with only 8,000 miles and had sat for at least 2 years. My bike isn't really suited for trips >100 miles, but I plan on keeping it into next season and looking for an sv650 as my next bike. Already have $1500 put away towards its, $250 a month into the account, so I'll definitely have the money, just gonna wait for the right deal on the right bike.

It's been 30's and rainy this week, and I'm already looking forward to next season and the few days I'll get to ride yet before real winter hits. Keeping it on a friend's patio now so it's half stored, half ready to ride. I can't admit I've retired it :(

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Rode to the gym last night. its finally started to get cold here in SF. I have crappy gloves and my hands more or less froze in place. So ... at a long red light, I put it in neutral, leaned over, and put my hands on the engine... and when i got to the gym i put em on my pipes..... so warm. So deliciously warm.

I regret nothing

except not getting heated grips.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlueBayou posted:

Rode to the gym last night. its finally started to get cold here in SF. I have crappy gloves and my hands more or less froze in place. So ... at a long red light, I put it in neutral, leaned over, and put my hands on the engine... and when i got to the gym i put em on my pipes..... so warm. So deliciously warm.

I regret nothing

except not getting heated grips.

I can't wait to see what happens to your blinkers if you buy heated grips.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Depends on how the wiring is done. If its as half-assed as it is on my KLR, the headlight will decide to intermittently not work. :argh:

I'm fixing that poo poo this weekend because seriously, what the gently caress.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Whoever diddled with the headlight wiring on my bike did a poor job. Every so often when I come back down to two wheels the headlight will go out and I have to look into the reflections of the car in front of me to see if its off then i switch it to high or low whichever is working :v:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Z3n posted:

redscare posted:

Depends on how the wiring is done. If its as half-assed as it is on my KLR, the headlight will decide to intermittently not work. :argh:

I'm fixing that poo poo this weekend because seriously, what the gently caress.

Yeah, knowing my luck, it would cause the whole bike to explode.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Been having a recurring issue on my '90 DR350.

After putting about 500 miles on my DR, this issue suddenly came up. After starting the bike up and letting it warm up, or riding it for at least ten minutes or so, The engine starts to rev like crazy and stay around 5k or so, even with the clutch in, downshifting to a stop, and will stay at 5k even at a dead stop. Eventually the bike just wants to stay there. It starts off completely normal, and eventually does this.

At first, I had thought maybe the throttle cable was sticking. Replaced cable (cable was old anyway) and didnt solve anything. Ran some seafoam through it, didnt solve anything. Rotated the carb, cleaned out the float bowl, float wasnt sticking, blew out the jets, didnt work. So I thought maybe it was an intake leak, replaced the intake manifold and manifold gasket, and thought I might get lucky, but no go. I'm a little out of options here: The Carb works and isnt sticky. The Air Filter Element is new. The Intake isnt leaking. What is causing the bike to overrev when warmed up?

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 5, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

IAMKOREA posted:

So there's this drainage thing in my city that runs pretty much the whole length of the city and I think it's rideable and also probably a pretty great shortcut. But what happens when a cop sees you ride up out of it through someones yard and into the street? I'm also almost positive riding along side some train tracks would be a sweet shortcut too.

Is there some sort of standard penalty for doing stupid poo poo like that on a dual sport?

My boss used to ride home thought the drainage ducts when he lived in a small town. (on a dirt bike). One day he fell asleep and stacked it into a wall, and not being near the road had to walk a long rear end way back to civilization.

He was an odd dude.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Chill_Bebop posted:

The engine starts to rev like crazy and stay around 5k or so

Did you clean out the pilot circuit in your carb? The float is designed to maintain a consistent fuel level in the float bowl. I don't think it could have much to do with that kind of behaviour.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

My boss used to ride home thought the drainage ducts when he lived in a small town. (on a dirt bike). One day he fell asleep and stacked it into a wall, and not being near the road had to walk a long rear end way back to civilization.

He was an odd dude.

How do you fall asleep on a motorcycle :confused:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I've almost done it twice. Once was a too long ride without eating and not being smart enough to stop. The second was thankfully a much shorter trip home from work where I was so exhausted, holding the bike up at lights was a chore. I don't ride tired anymore. Hell, I stopped commuting to work when I was a tiny bit tired for fear of having to ride back home later completely exhausted.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I fell asleep on my feet at a concert standing right next to a stack of speakers. The only reason I didn't fall over is that I was mashed into the crowd. If you are tired enough, you'll fall asleep doing anything.

Ulthor's got it right - if there's any question if you're too tired to ride - you're too tired to ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've gotten sleepy on long superslabs, but I still cant imagine it on a dirtbike blasting through drainage ducts :psypop:

That just sounds too awesome to sleep through.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I caught my ladyfriend sleeping on the back of my bike more than once. She was very comfortable with bikes, having been on them since age 7 or so. Every so often I'd have to prod her a bit to make sure she was still awake while going down the freeway, otherwise sure enough, she'd lock herself into position and pass out. Crazy.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

dietcokefiend posted:

:sigh:

Coming to the realization that I need to start coming up with plans to retire the bike for the season. Against almost all odds I think my first year riding motorcycles went pretty well. Started on a 600cc bike against what people said, got my license from the DMV before I took my MSF against what people said. Even practiced MSF/ALS-MOST course layouts night after night against what people said. Since the end of November last year to now I put 3k on the ZX600, sold that, bought a SV650, put 6k on that. 3 road trips to WI, tons of days riding into work, countless hours logged riding in pouring rain.

Overall I think everything turned out pretty well :unsmith:

My method probably won't work for everyone but it was great for me. My overly paranoid riding habits shaped a decent touring-style rider. I can also honestly say I have yet to pop a wheelie although that is still one thing I want to accomplish one of these days :keke:

Hope everyone else had as good of a season that I did. Amazing to look back and think that last year around this time I was scared shitless to ride my bike out of the neighborhood and last weekend I drove to WI for ThanksGiving in the pouring rain both ways.
Just goes to show that we get lucky sometimes, as I progressed the same way you did back in May of '07, and have been lucky enough to stay rubber-down since then (except one low-speed off in the woods). Your path is a dark one though, son. I've been through four bikes now, and it gets expensive. I am, however, very happy with my Speed Triple, so hopefully I can go more than a full season without buying another street bike. You seem to be going the opposite bike path than I was though, I went 65hp twin (SV) to 100hp twin (Buell) to 130 3cyl.

For fun, I used to go back in the old 'motorcycle mega thread' we had that was active at the time and see all my posts from 'thinking of getting a bike' through 'passed my DMV test' to 'went to the MSF' etc.

I have also ridden all that time without wheelie-ing, and I'm okay with that.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is there like a protocol for founding an MC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

niethan posted:

Is there like a protocol for founding an MC?
Step 1: Draw a badass logo.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Fantastipotamus posted:

Just goes to show that we get lucky sometimes, as I progressed the same way you did back in May of '07, and have been lucky enough to stay rubber-down since then (except one low-speed off in the woods). Your path is a dark one though, son. I've been through four bikes now, and it gets expensive. I am, however, very happy with my Speed Triple, so hopefully I can go more than a full season without buying another street bike. You seem to be going the opposite bike path than I was though, I went 65hp twin (SV) to 100hp twin (Buell) to 130 3cyl.

For fun, I used to go back in the old 'motorcycle mega thread' we had that was active at the time and see all my posts from 'thinking of getting a bike' through 'passed my DMV test' to 'went to the MSF' etc.

I have also ridden all that time without wheelie-ing, and I'm okay with that.

Well my path so far wasnt that odd. The SV was a bit faster than the ZX for around the town type of stuff and overall a shitton nicer.

I still have the ~1200 from the sale of the ZX saved up in misc funds. I think I want to start looking for some sort of faster sportbike. Might look for an older 600ss or a aircooled literbike like the Z1000.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Endless Mike posted:

Step 2: 3D renderings of a bike that will never get made.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Endless Mike posted:

That's step 1 for most projects, so...

On another note here is a mockup of what I think I'll be doing to my bike come spring:

Yeah that's sheepskin :coal:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought you were talking about a motorcycle club at first. I wonder if there's any that parody the "serious" ones. I would totally join the north end fuzzy puppies and wear my 99%er patch with (ironic) pride.

Edit: well, until I get beat to death with a motorcycle chain by some hell's angel anyways.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I wanted to share these tricks. I gave myself a huge pat on the back for the last one when I fished out a tooth off the idler gear on my KLX300. The idler gear has been replaced and I didn't have to split the motherfucking crankcases.

quote:

TIE-DOWN STRAP as clutch basket/rotor/etc holder tool
Use tie-down strap wrapped tightly around the thingy multiple times and attach hook to frame. As you torque the offending nut it will cinch up and hold. If it slips, try to clamp it with whatever is handy.

FINGER NAIL SCISSORS as circlip pliers
Fingernail scissors with notches filed in the ends to rest securely in the plier holes on the circlip.

GET A THING OUT OF YOUR CRANKCASE without cracking the cases
A large rare earth magnet slid across the bottom will make loose pieces dance. Go hunt them out with a small rare earth magnet jb welded to the end of a wire.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I kind of want to like Morocco or Spain or whereever and buy a cheap old small bike and ride it home to Germany. Anyone of yall ever done something like that? Is it feasible?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

niethan posted:

I kind of want to like Morocco or Spain or whereever and buy a cheap old small bike and ride it home to Germany. Anyone of yall ever done something like that? Is it feasible?

God if it was I'd be on a slow boat back to america.

(from from tokyo after riding there)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

blugu64 posted:

God if it was I'd be on a slow boat back to america.

(from from tokyo after riding there)
You could do something kinda like that with like mexico or south america if you wanna go that far.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

niethan posted:

That's step 1 for most projects, so...

On another note here is a mockup of what I think I'll be doing to my bike come spring:

Yeah that's sheepskin :coal:

so you have a Tengai??

More Pics Please

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Armacham posted:

so you have a Tengai??

More Pics Please

It's in storage right now unfortunately.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else going to the Cycle World Motorcycle show in Seattle? I might try to head up this weekend.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool and I will be going, probably on Sunday.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Spiffness will leave his new helmet cam on to record the entire event. Check back here for 4hrs of raw unedited vlogging.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going on Friday, and when I'm done I think I'll go check out some dead Chinese people with no skin later.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I think I'm going on Friday, and when I'm done I think I'll go check out some dead Chinese people with no skin later.

Well if the plan changes and you end up going on Sun let us know. The Bodies exhibit is rad, went there last week. Worth it. [/derail]

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a hot date on sunday, dunno if she wants to go see motorcycles and dead people or not. :v:

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I met my current girlfriend at the Bodies exhibition - it's a great place for picking up women.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Merry xmas Ola!

Love, Ola.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Slim Pickens posted:

I saw it when it was here in Denver. The whole people are by far not the most interesting part of the exhibit.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Ola posted:

Merry xmas Ola!

sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm going to hold it like a teddy bear tonight. For anyone wondering, it's from http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk and it's pretty much as cheap as you can get adjustable damping (linked compression/rebound) and preload. There are some anecdotal stories about them being under-dimensioned and prone to seal burst and leakage, but at least they have (and honor, according to the stories) a two year warranty.