Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

TheCoconutman posted:

You still selling nos British parts? I'm slowly trying to un gently caress a 1967 triumph t100c and need a good source for parts.

God I wish, between Oz and UK orders, I had a license to print money. Sold every last bit, except for asbestos gaskets and washers, which I had a million of but wouldn't sell for obvious reasons. Best of luck with the project.

As for your CB front brake issue, Crayvex did this about 42 times, and can probably offer help. I restored the MC on a later one, and its problems were obvious the minute I popped the cover. Crust and goo everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

TheCoconutman posted:

Speaking of cb750s, I just replaced the piston seal on the front caliper of a 78 cb750k and now cannot seem to bleed the brakes . No pressure builds at the lever but it will pump fluid out and take up fluid, master cylinder shot maybe?

Hey CB750K buddy! I rebuilt the brakes on a 1979 which is the exact same kind of bike. Buy the rebuild kit it's worth it. The circlip removal in the master cylinder is an absolute bitch and none of my purpose built pliers worked. Just keep in mind that the braking system on that bike blows. A single piston, single disc design isn't enough for a such a heavy beast. The CB750F version is a dual disc system and some K owners swap the front end to get acceptable braking performance.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Crayvex posted:

Hey CB750K buddy! I rebuilt the brakes on a 1979 which is the exact same kind of bike. Buy the rebuild kit it's worth it. The circlip removal in the master cylinder is an absolute bitch and none of my purpose built pliers worked. Just keep in mind that the braking system on that bike blows. A single piston, single disc design isn't enough for a such a heavy beast. The CB750F version is a dual disc system and some K owners swap the front end to get acceptable braking performance.

Suzuki supremacy. Dual disc fronts by '79. :smug:

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Crayvex posted:

Yeah I won't need to rebuild the master cylinder my friend actually has a set of 2 nice new chrome ones he got in a swap deal. But I have been looking at converting over to the dual disc brakes up front, its engine is far too much for the brakes that are there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

MY 75 GL1000 has dual disks, and the SOHC CB750F had duals in '77 :science:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tamir Lenk posted:

Pff. Buell supremacy. ZTL by 2003.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

Yeah but it's a Suzuki. Kidding, actually looking for an older Suzuki to do a bosozuku build.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just balanced the carbs on my 79 cb650, and they're even through all throttle ranges up to 9k in neutral. Go to ride it, and it bogs down at 5k, then picks up again at 7k. At least when they were out of balance the bike was still partially "snappy" and could be blipped higher. Been tuning this fucker for two years now. :argh:

On the plus side, it now idles without randomly revving to 3k, getting stuck, then randomly dropping to 600 rpm and trying to die. Had done that since I picked it up until today. I'll take a rock-steady idle over highway performance for an around-town motorcycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheCoconutman posted:

Yeah but it's a Suzuki. Kidding, actually looking for an older Suzuki to do a bosozuku build.

It had better be so you can do this :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1flOoJYxo

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheCoconutman posted:

Have I got a deal for you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=50#post434031163

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

MY 75 GL1000 has dual disks, and the SOHC CB750F had duals in '77 :science:

On the CB350's, Honda did a single disc for one year, and it was so bad they went back to drums until the 80s.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007

red19fire posted:

Have I got a deal for you.

If I didn't have two winter projects already I'd jump on that

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Erays3r posted:

My 79 cm400t :)

Had a set of highway bars when I brought it home, they were on all for about week. Has a set of drags at the moment. Not a fast bike , still a lot of fun though.

Late, but I have that exact bike down to the paint job. Even did a similar swap, highway bars for something a little more forward. My wife is learning on it... When she makes a hard left the throttle is almost too far away, thinking about putting the old bars back on.

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010
Id hate to swap the bars again just because of the routing I needed to do to get the drags sitting correctly. Still need to get a different master cylinder due to the old one being angled for the highway bars.

Have thought about making the bars a little more narrow before swapping back?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Hey guys,

I've left my 1964 Honda S90 in Europe, and my friend is going to sell it for me. If you had a rare, restored bike you needed to sell in Europe, what would your course be?

Specifically, it's in Latvia, but Google doesn't find very many for sale anywhere. Are there some vintage bike forums or something in England, France, wherever that might be a good place to sell this?

I'm in Jakarta right now, and have been told that riding a motorcycle here would be instant death, but it doesn't seem that bad. So tempted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Backov posted:

I've left my 1964 Honda S90 in Europe, and my friend is going to sell it for me. If you had a rare, restored bike you needed to sell in Europe, what would your course be?

I'd probably cut your losses and mail it to someone in San Francisco for the cost of shipping, yeah

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I think I've decided to buy another motorcycle. I bring this up in this thread because I'm thinking of buying a Honda CB550. I have a few questions for people who own/have owned and/or ridden one on at least a semi-regular basis:

Is a 550 too small to be used on a ~30 mile mostly highway commute with 75-80mph sections? I'd rather not be struggling to keep up with traffic if I decide I want to ride to work.

How much should I expect to pay for a reliable specimen? I know this will largely depend on my local market and time of year, but how much time should I expect to spend turning wrenches instead of corners with a reasonably (~$1500?) priced example?

I'm not opposed to moving up to a CB650, but find myself liking the look of the older 550 a little more. There's something about the styling and kick start lever that does it for me. It also looks like everything is pretty readily serviceable except the 4-pack of carbs which is a pain I've dealt with before.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It's a honda. For the most part it's not serviceable. (They're designed for fairy hands that float in null space and appear where they need to turn a screw) The 550 and 650 have simliar power outputs, so both would be happy on that sort of commute.

As long as it's running, and happy, when you buy it, it should be just fine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nerobro posted:

For the most part it's not serviceable.
Where did this come from? They're perfectly serviceable, they're just annoying to work on. Like all old Japanese bikes, especially the i4 ones, the carbs are a bitch to get on and off, and every screw on it will be frozen.

It will probably need to be worked on in some way fairly often, even if it's in nice shape when you get it. I'm not a fan of all the old Japanese fours, they're too heavy (and top heavy) for the power they make, the old mechanical slide ones like the 550 have very heavy throttles, and they're not much fun to ride. They'll do 75 though. Almost all these issues apply to a cb650 as much as a 550.

I'm not sure the price matters as much as the owner you're buying it from. If it looks clean and the person is actually riding it and maintaining it regularly, that's the best thing you can get. Whether or not you'll find one like that at all I dunno. Not many people regularly ride old bikes like that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Where did this come from? They're perfectly serviceable, they're just annoying to work on. Like all old Japanese bikes, especially the i4 ones, the carbs are a bitch to get on and off, and every screw on it will be frozen.
*snip*
I'm not sure the price matters as much as the owner you're buying it from. If it looks clean and the person is actually riding it and maintaining it regularly, that's the best thing you can get. Whether or not you'll find one like that at all I dunno. Not many people regularly ride old bikes like that.

They're a damned pain in the butt to work on. It feels to me like they go out of their way to make their bikes hard to service. They're difficult enough to work on, and then due to hondas habit of making one year parts, they're hard to even find parts to service them with.

Until you start talking niche brands, honda has to be the worst of the bunch for working on. I mean.. you have a choice, if you're buying an older bike, you know YOU will be working on it. Buy something pleasant to wrench on.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Can you offer some other suggestions in a similar style/size/price range? I was already planning to be wrenching on it from time to time, and I've worked on motorcycles before. What sort of regular maintenance is so terrible as to warrant that much hatred?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Can you offer some other suggestions in a similar style/size/price range? I was already planning to be wrenching on it from time to time, and I've worked on motorcycles before. What sort of regular maintenance is so terrible as to warrant that much hatred?

nin nin nin ja

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I guess I should've asked for helpful suggestions.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Naked Goldwing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Well, if it's in good shape when you buy it. It's a honda. You can expect it to keep running, and running well. So long as you keep on top of it. If you're going to buy a project, I will have no sympathy for you.

An example, the CB650, depending on year. (remember, this is "one model") Had it's fuse box under one side cover, on the steerer, and under another side cover in three successive years. The clutch has three separate adjustments, all three can make the bike immobile. The charging system switched between a field coil and a permanent magnet depending on year.

As for "what else to buy." Anything else in the same category. If you like 4's Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki built them. In large numbers.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

McTinkerson posted:

Naked Goldwing.

Ratted out

Edit: This was actually a near mint one owner goldwing that some idiot did this to on purpose.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I never thought I'd see a Goldwing I would actually ride. Is it just me or do Goldwing riders never return a wave?

I was actually planning (with the 550) on seeing what kind of awesome stuff I could do with that crazy new light-up paint on the market.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm more fond of the cleanly done nakeds.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nerobro posted:

For the most part it's not serviceable.

I do not think it means what you think it means. When a thing is serviceable, it is ready and fit for use. In the military, it is used more often than the word "gently caress." It has nothing to do with the ease or difficulty of performing the service that ultimately makes it serviceable. I think that's where the confusion crept in.

Thought I'd point it out despite the subsequent clarifications.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nerobro posted:

Until you start talking niche brands, honda has to be the worst of the bunch for working on.
I mean I agree, Honda is the dumbest, but if you compare it to almost any modern bike, it's fairly simple and easy to mess with. Aside from the carbs and every bolt being frozen.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I have a blue wrench for those pesky frozen bolts. Or an impact. And a discount on PB Blaster. :3:

And I've rebuilt a 4-pack of carbs before! It's not as bad as you guys make it sound.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I have a blue wrench for those pesky frozen bolts. Or an impact. And a discount on PB Blaster. :3:

And I've rebuilt a 4-pack of carbs before! It's not as bad as you guys make it sound.

"rack" of carbs. Rebuilding carbs is easy. Nobody said rebuilding carbs was hard. "in perfect shape" working on hondas is a pain. But it's your recreation time. :-) I like to ride mine, rather than work on it.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Ever had to break up a rack of I4 carbs to do the fuel transfer o-rings? The worst are god drat carbs from any 80s V4 Honda.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DefaultPeanut posted:

god drat carbs from any 80s V4 Honda.
This is so true. But it's not to absolve all of Honda's other poo poo.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DefaultPeanut posted:

Ever had to break up a rack of I4 carbs to do the fuel transfer o-rings? The worst are god drat carbs from any 80s V4 Honda.

Yes. It wasn't that bad... Some people strip the carbs off the rack for every cleaning. I think that's crazy. That said, I have only once had to replace a o-ring on a rack of carbs.

V4 carbs are the devils work.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The set I did was from an 80-something GSR850 suzuki that had been sitting for 10+ years. When I started you couldn't even turn the throttle.By the time I grabbed the toothbrush to do the cleaning no two separable parts were in contact.

edit: for the record I did get it to start exactly one time.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 24, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The set I did was from an 80-something GSR850 suzuki that had been sitting for 10+ years. When I started you couldn't even turn the throttle.By the time I grabbed the toothbrush to do the cleaning no two separable parts were in contact.

edit: for the record I did get it to start exactly one time.

That tells me you shouldn't be looking at classic bikes to work on. What's your plan, why are you attached to a CB550?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nerobro posted:

Yes. It wasn't that bad... Some people strip the carbs off the rack for every cleaning. I think that's crazy. That said, I have only once had to replace a o-ring on a rack of carbs.

V4 carbs are the devils work.

There should be achievement medals for doing Magna carbs.

I generally de-rack all the carbs I have to do a serious cleaning to. I can't fit them in my ultrasonic cleaner otherwise.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Nerobro posted:

That tells me you shouldn't be looking at classic bikes to work on. What's your plan, why are you attached to a CB550?

I only started it once because when I rode it I realized it was going to need a ton more work before I would consider it reliable enough to ride, it had been sitting for over a decade in someone's shed. If I buy anything now it's going to be something I can ride home.

I'm not particularly attached to it, I just like the way bikes from that era look and there's a place nearby that specializes in Honda motorcycles where I can get parts.

edit: what about successfully rebuilding a rack of carbs tells you I shouldn't be looking at classic bikes? I'm hoping to find one I don't have to spend a ton of time turning wrenches on so I can ride it entirely too often.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

edit: what about successfully rebuilding a rack of carbs tells you I shouldn't be looking at classic bikes?

Well, there's

quote:

I'm hoping to find one I don't have to spend a ton of time turning wrenches on so I can ride it entirely too often.

That's usually a dead giveaway, unless your alternate plan is finding a competent shop and giving them money by the wheelbarrow to do the wrenching for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No biggie, all you have to do is buy multiple sets of JIS screwdrivers (they're not philips screws, that's why they strip out) and a carbtune, then you're good to go :gonk:

• Locked thread