Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's a demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Very nice. :golfclap:

I'm morning crew, I'll add some GBS-FM jingles during air time when I have the chance.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Isn't GBS-FM only quasi-legal? Are we sure we want this kind of attention?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Farquar posted:

Soon everyone's gonna knowsy.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Farquar posted:

This is partially why I'm somewhat reserved about making a huge deal out of it. My interest is in seeing whether the idea flies, because has anyone ever had an actual radio station playing only what the listeners want to hear? (Or maybe in this case forcing the listeners to hear what they don't want to hear because the people programming it aren't even in the same city?) I don't think so. That idea alone is pretty captivating to me.

Anyway, how about a pros vs. cons why this is either a good or bad idea?
Pro: Interesting way of programming a radio station.
Con: Legal grey area.
Pro: Only goons can program the music so it's not like the backend is going to be revealed to everyone all willy nilly.
Con: Is GBS behind a paywall right now? No? Should we move this discussion to the GBS.FM forum just in case?
Pro: It's probably going to be pretty drat great to listen to.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Here's a demo.

This pretty much rules and I have no problem with using it whatsoever. Van-KYOOOO-ver.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 17, 2013

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Handen posted:

Pro: It's probably going to be pretty drat great to listen to.

That's certainly one way to put it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you get any listener responses make sure to share them!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is probably a terribly naive question but, uh, do radio stations have to pay royalties for the songs they play normally? I mean, I assume a radio station just has gobs of CDs and records and whatnot and they just play whatever the gently caress they feel like it, but do they have to provide some kind of comprehensive list of everything they have to the RIAA and get permission or pay a fee or something?

Because if not, then the only quasi-legality to GBS-FM is the MP3 storage itself. If a legit radio station is piping our bullshit out through its own infrastructure, that basically bypasses the issue, and nobody is going to care if the radio station stores its music on physical media, or via a particularly weird externalized repository that certain goons happen to have access to as well, purely for private internet radio consumption. Right?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

This is going to last exactly one night.

Post rave is just too much for most people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If your listeners manage to make it through a night of post rave/eurovision/L: Cats Yowling R:Good Shooting/Ultra Relax/Government Alpha, more power to them. And yes, you absolutely have to share listener responses to this.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Leperflesh posted:

This is probably a terribly naive question but, uh, do radio stations have to pay royalties for the songs they play normally? I mean, I assume a radio station just has gobs of CDs and records and whatnot and they just play whatever the gently caress they feel like it, but do they have to provide some kind of comprehensive list of everything they have to the RIAA and get permission or pay a fee or something?

Because if not, then the only quasi-legality to GBS-FM is the MP3 storage itself. If a legit radio station is piping our bullshit out through its own infrastructure, that basically bypasses the issue, and nobody is going to care if the radio station stores its music on physical media, or via a particularly weird externalized repository that certain goons happen to have access to as well, purely for private internet radio consumption. Right?

Here in Canada we have the CRTC, and (as far as I know how it relates to campus community radio stations) the royalty system here is more or less broken... Or at least counter-intuitively operated. The way it works (for NCRA stations anyway, not sure about commercial radio) is that the only time artists are paid royalties is during a surprise week-long period when the CRTC decides "Hey, we're going to audit your campus community radio station this week!" During that week we have to keep meticulous logs of exactly everything that was played (and we mostly do that anyway, but during an audit there's a bit more that has to be considered), and then only those artists who are played that week and who are members of SOCAN--the Canadian version of ASCAP/BMI (I'm not sure if the CRTC pays ASCAP/BMI artists or not)--will get a small royalty cheque. But only if they are played during the audit period at whatever radio station is being audited. My own personal opinion is that it's somewhat disingenuous to the artists to only get a royalty cheque for one week's worth of a radio station's broadcast year (or two years in some cases, since the audits are always random). Why not do it all the time? That being said, some campus community stations are a lot worse off than we are, and as of yet there is no codified/systemized method available for every station to produce and keep standardized logs for reporting purposes, so if it ever occurred where audits were taken out of the equation and every NCRA station was on permanent audit, many of them likely wouldn't be able to do it. (This all to the best of my knowledge and may not be worded correctly.)

Edit: All of that stuff only applies between regular broadcast hours of 6am to midnight. Anything from 12am to 6am does not apply as regular broadcast hours soooo :buddy:

All of the above considered, I don't believe the ground rules have been laid yet for playing streams over the airwaves [edit: I'm told it's categorized as a syndicated show, which still isn't exactly correct so there's room form improvement]. This is actually a great question to bring up at the next NCRA conference. I'll do some digging and asking around, because it brings up a lot of valid points.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 18, 2013

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Handen posted:

Con: Is GBS behind a paywall right now? No? Should we move this discussion to the GBS.FM forum just in case?

Yes. Accounts are tied to an SA account, so no pubbies can add songs to the playlist.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Peachstapler posted:

Soon everyone's gonna knowsy.

:master:

woppy71
Sep 10, 2013

by Ralp
Goon radio rocks! Been listening for almost a week now, it's opened my eyes to artists and groups / genres that I would never have known about before. For that reason alone, it's a big +1 from me. As for the legalities.. meh.. reminds me of the old pirate stations that used to be all the rage 30 years ago :banjo:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
So, is tonight the night GBS-FM goes on the actual, physical air?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

CaptainYesterday posted:

So, is tonight the night GBS-FM goes on the actual, physical air?

If everything goes as planned, yes. We've never programmed a webstream into our automatic DJ system so there's a small chance that we got the event command wrong, in which case our auto DJ will revert back to regular programmed music and we try again next week. We tested it off-air a few days ago and it worked, so I'm not too concerned. I'm not sure if our own stream is fixed yet, I'll find out and post the link in the hour leading up to air if I get the green light that it's working.

:whip:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just about an hour to go!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

It begins. (Not broadcasting yet, but we're getting ready)

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
The current playlist is truly this station at its finest moment.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

[01:38:00] <Kilonum> @length
[01:38:01] <shoes> Current playlist length: 2 hours, 24 minutes, 20 seconds, in 27 dongs.
[01:38:03] <CaptainYesterday> It is complete
[01:38:15] <Sunsetaware> It's a work of art.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Our name is gbs-fm, station of stations. Behold our works, ye drunk/high college students, and despair.

e: Keru insisted.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
No post from Handen, but regardless of the final outcome, I'm really happy staying up too late to listen to this.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
This is the greatest thing that has ever happened and will ever happen to Alberta.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
:siren: We're live! :siren:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Let it be known: Dote Up a Cat by 13cm was the first song broadcast on the air.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Followed by the rap version, of course. And then Kuuenbu.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Oh my god it's really happening. Go here to the bottom Winamp link. I realize it's redundant to listen to a stream of a stream, but that's what's going to air. I feel so proud. :holy:

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004

Handen posted:

Oh my god it's really happening. Go here to the bottom Winamp link. I realize it's redundant to listen to a stream of a stream, but that's what's going to air. I feel so proud. :holy:

Click here and join us!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Handen posted:

Why are you not on IRC to hang out with us live?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Adrinidad posted:

Click here and join us!
Come join us. We demand it. And tell us about any listener feedback.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus Christ what have you guys done. Usually I'm the first one in the morning krew and the playlist is blank. :psyduck:

How many people did we inflict this on again?

[edit]
09:00 <varl> wait wait what's going on RECAP PLZ
09:01 <Haifisch> varl: we are being BROADCAST LIVE to canada
09:02 <Merijn> varl: WE'RE LIVE ON THE AIR
09:02 <varl> Merijn: woah
09:02 <varl> @a !penis
09:02 <shoes> varl: added Excrementory Grindfuckers (Headliner Der Herzen) - Penispropeller

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 20, 2013

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Merijn posted:

[edit]
09:00 <varl> wait wait what's going on RECAP PLZ
09:01 <Haifisch> varl: we are being BROADCAST LIVE to canada
09:02 <Merijn> varl: WE'RE LIVE ON THE AIR
09:02 <varl> Merijn: woah
09:02 <varl> @a !penis
09:02 <shoes> varl: added Excrementory Grindfuckers (Headliner Der Herzen) - Penispropeller

I was just thinking: "Hmm, that's TAOC TEH WODNER DOG, DJ Magnetic Dozer, 'Get Ready For The Big Shoot-out' and Cats vs Joanna Newsom and Sunn O))). But something's missing."
Excrementory Grindfuckers, that's what was missing.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Are you kidding the next thing on the playlist is Creamy Lemon :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

[edit]
Welp :)

09:23 <handen> program director just messaged me with a thumbs up to that last one
09:24 <handen> looks like we can do this again

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 20, 2013

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Merijn posted:

Are you kidding the next thing on the playlist is Creamy Lemon :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

[edit]

09:23 <handen> program director just messaged me with a thumbs up to that last one

:thumbsup:

Those last two hours were pleasantly excellent. Will report back with listener feedback and/or details on next show. I think we blew some unsuspecting minds tonight.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

My friend is a lurker goon, and has a 12-2 am show in Ontario on another university radio station. He's thinking of streaming GBS-FM next week now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Merijn posted:

[edit]

Glad I could help.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jewcoon posted:

My friend is a lurker goon, and has a 12-2 am show in Ontario on another university radio station. He's thinking of streaming GBS-FM next week now.

GBS-FM: Canada's Favorite Noise.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
handen, some quick attempts at 15-second blasts:

Let me know if this kind of thing is desirable and I can beat on the levels somewhat, as these were quick recordings.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Got together with an old friend for this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

delfin posted:

handen, some quick attempts at 15-second blasts:

Let me know if this kind of thing is desirable and I can beat on the levels somewhat, as these were quick recordings.

These are excellent! We can use these as Show IDs to be played during shows interspersed throughout the week. I'll put them in so our volunteer DJs can promote upcoming airings of GBSFM. I showed them to our PD and the first thing he said was "I wish our regular volunteer DJs were this enthusiastic about doing show promos!"

I'll outline the three main varieties of clips that we could use:

Sweepers: Show-specific 15 second spoken-word-only audio clips to be played on top of whatever show is being advertised for. These differ from Show IDs in that they must be worded to indicate what you are currently listening to. I.e., "You are currently tuned in to GBSFM on CKXU 88.3 FM - Lethbridge's TRUE alternative!" Feel free to preface that phrase with whatever witty banter you want. Only caveat is no profanity in the sweepers, even though I realize that it could very well be playing over top of a long stream of gently caress words. When we program AutoDJ to play sweepers, it fades the volume of our regular programming down to about half and plays the sweeper overtop. If the sweeper has music in the background, it clashes with the music that it just faded down and sounds mangled.

Show IDs: Show-specific 15-30 second commercials available for all of our volunteer DJs to play throughout the week. Must contain the name of the show (GBSFM), day of week and time of air (Thursdays at midnight until 2am), and the phrase "On CKXU 88.3 FM - Lethbridge's TRUE alternative!" Again, feel free to get as creative as you want. Should contain music, creative commons preferred.

Station IDs: Non-specific 30 second audio snippets played at the top of every hour. They're not meant to advertise for any specific show, but are just a reminder that you are tuned to CKXU. Station IDs have music in the background (creative commons preferred), and the phrase "You are tuned in/listening to CKXU 88.3 FM - Lethbridge's TRUE alternative!" Must contain no profanity or sexually suggestive content.

So if anyone wants to take a crack at a couple sweepers or Show IDs for GBSFM, the more the merrier! And if you feel compelled to make a Station ID for CKXU, chances are that it will be used from now until eternity, so feel free to get goofy with it. Our current collection of Station IDs goes back about five years and is full of bizarre stuff. We managed to coerce Bill Nye into recording a couple for us when he did a public speaking event at the UofL a couple years ago, they're a favourite for DJs to play.

Jewcoon posted:

Hell yes. Is he willing to divulge which station?

Peachstapler posted:

Got together with an old friend for this one:

Holy poo poo. This is perfect. Consider it added.

As a side note, where can I find that 'Get Ready For The Big Shoot-out' track? Apparently it was a crowd favourite.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 20, 2013

• Locked thread