Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

I wasn't paying much attention but I thought the A10's were just FX8xxx's with an APU, which apparently they aren't
They use the latest Steamroller cores that remove some of the Bulldozer/Piledriver bottlenecks, paired with a new manufacturing process. This doesn't make them decent at the high-end, but really boosts them in the lower mid-range where they needed it the most. They look pretty drat compelling for lower power systems too, I'd probably rather own a 45W AMD A8-7600T than a 45W Intel Core i5 4670T. Then again I guess you still can only buy two 95W FM2+ APUs so goddamnit AMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HalloKitty posted:

This reminds me of these benchmarks: https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-13.html

In Skyrim, 4 module piledriver @ 5GHz perfoms so badly it's barely funny.

Jesus, an i5-2400 loving flattens a brand new hi end AMD CPU. I'm almost embarrassed for AMD by proxy.

quote:

RESULTS: As the GPU moves into the driver's seat, we can see the FX-9590 nearly catching some of the higher end Intel processors as its performance becomes less important. However, without any mods installed, Skyrim seems oddly CPU-bound on AMD's processors.

This is interesting (bolded part). Do Intel's CPUs do a better job of delegating tasks for subsystems (such as the GPU)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
They're just... faster. "Delegating tasks to subsystems" is just a fancy way to say "process and dispatch work to main memory" as far as a CPU knows. Intel's advantages are all about CPU cores that do more work per clock cycle and efficient, well, everything.

It's also a software issue, though. Direct3D, as we schmucks are finding out right now, has a lot of CPU overhead to drawing scenes, and it relies very heavily on a single CPU core to handle this load. Newer APIs that are starting to come out, like AMD Mantle and the upcoming DirectX 12, reduce this CPU load and distribute it better over multiple cores. The result is that you get better gaming performance on weaker CPUs, which closes the gaming gap between Intel and AMD significantly.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 22, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Bethesda games like Skyrim don't do a fantastic job of using multiple cores and AMD CPUs seem to have a serious lack of single-core performance.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Hog Butcher posted:

Bethesda games like Skyrim don't do a fantastic job of using multiple cores and AMD CPUs seem to have a serious lack of single-core performance.

It's kind of sad that bulldozer was so far behind phenom II performance wise. I played 40 hours of skyrim on a phenom II and the only time it ever lagged was the battle for white run. The only game where the processor was ever a bottleneck was starcraft II 4x4.

I sold my trinity A8 laptop and bought a chromebook. This is the first time in my adult life that I don't own an AMD processor of some sort.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a phenom IIx6, and while I don't regret buying it back when I did, I could never justify buying AMD now. It's sad that as far as I can tell, AMD don't even plan on releasing a successor to their last generation FX line this year, which now places them years behind intel - Have they given up on non budget stuff altogether? It sure seems like it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a phenom IIx6, and while I don't regret buying it back when I did, I could never justify buying AMD now. It's sad that as far as I can tell, AMD don't even plan on releasing a successor to their last generation FX line this year, which now places them years behind intel - Have they given up on non budget stuff altogether? It sure seems like it.

Yeah, I thought awhile back that I read they were dropping out of the performance market to favor the low and mid range. APUs in laptops with 1300x700 displays are the only time I recommend buying AMD to anyone. Even that might change if iris pro is competitive with A8 and A10 APUs.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Really man, I still feel like the Phenom II was the last thing worth buying from AMD.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ignoarints posted:

Really man, I still feel like the Phenom II was the last thing worth buying from AMD.

Don' t say things like that, I almost had myself convinced I need an i5. :v:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

It was the last AMD CPU I bought. It lasted me a good 5 years :(

I have an i5 now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hog Butcher posted:

Wasn't it Oblivion where you had to manually set the program to run single core to avoid some weirdness for some devices?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

ufarn posted:

Wasn't it Oblivion where you had to manually set the program to run single core to avoid some weirdness for some devices?
Oblivion and Fallout3 both need to have multi-threading restricted in .ini settings or they'll freeze constantly, and they do not handle hyper-threading well at all. They'll still crash occasionally either way of course because Bethesda. New Vegas handles multi-core chips much better despite using the same engine.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

SwissCM posted:

I have an i5 now.

I've had one variation or another of it for probably just as long, up until early this year. I sold it but really honestly almost wish I hadn't. Was such a trooper, for $100. Plus being compatible with every AMD motherboard in 5 years was pretty loving sweet.

That said, my i5 now is just ... I mean... you know.

Panty Saluter posted:

Don' t say things like that, I almost had myself convinced I need an i5. :v:

You do. I mean, the difference between the two actually lives up to the hype, and I really didn't think it would. Like at all. So wrong.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

You do. I mean, the difference between the two actually lives up to the hype, and I really didn't think it would. Like at all. So wrong.

I bought an unlocked i5 for Wii emulation. It made a massive difference.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissCM posted:

I have an i5 now.

Which Phenom and i5 did and do you have? I really want to justify upgrading but it's drat hard when most everything works so well (most of the computer upgrades I have made have been under duress). Then I see my wife's i3 computer (with a 7200 RPM mechanical drive) load and run poo poo almost as fast as my SSD equipped Phenom and I think that is somethign I really want in my life.

e: beaten I see

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

Which Phenom and i5 did and do you have? I really want to justify upgrading but it's drat hard when most everything works so well (most of the computer upgrades I have made have been under duress). Then I see my wife's i3 computer (with a 7200 RPM mechanical drive) load and run poo poo almost as fast as my SSD equipped Phenom and I think that is somethign I really want in my life.

Phenom II x4 955 -> i5-4670K

It's a worthy upgrade.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

e: beaten I see

Basically the same as above for me too, 965 BE -> i5-4670k. Stock for stock, i5 tore up the AMD pretty hard but it really started getting insane when I overclocked. If you do want to upgrade, I'd wait until the refresh if you can (June? May?) unless you have zero desire to overclock in which case I'd still probably wait until the refresh and then pick up an "old" haswell for cheaper.

Okay now I feel bad for plugging intel in the amd thread. So I'll just repeat that the phenon II has a special place in my heart and leave :)

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Those "old haswells" never seem to drop in price, regardless of the new ones.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ignoarints posted:

pick up an "old" haswell for cheaper.

Doesn't happen. Intel does not drop prices when new CPUs come out, no doubt to ensure there's never a cost benefit to waiting for a new CPU.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

Okay now I feel bad for plugging intel in the amd thread. So I'll just repeat that the phenon II has a special place in my heart and leave :)

I know, it really hurts saying it :(

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Ah I didn't know that about the pricing. There must be some kind of sales though to clear stock from retailers though... right? How long does Intel produce a refresh model and the previous model? I'm sorry I'm very new to all that I haven't had an Intel in probably ten years

edit: come on AMD, we need some competition lol

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 24, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Peechka posted:

Those "old haswells" never seem to drop in price, regardless of the new ones.

Yeah, which is the real pain in the dick of AMD falling off so badly. At least when they were a viable alternative Intel had to cut prices occasionally. I'd totally just snap up an Ivy Bridge if they were any cheaper than a Haswell but they just aren't.

I'm eyeballing the 4570 since I don't really care about overclocking (even though I have the old Phenom overclocked a little).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am still really happy with my Kavari A10-7850 after a couple of months in my HTPC. Handles all the video I throw at it, roms with ease, and Stick of Truth played at 1080p without issue. I would never put it in my GGR, but for this application, it sips power and handles everything much better than the Wolfdale C2D it replaced.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Ignoarints posted:

I had a Phenom 2 960 that was able to unlock 2 additional cores and also do some slight overclocking. Great CPU and didnt have too many issues running modern games at all. Im with you, these other AMD chips just dont perform as well as they should to be considered a viable alternative to Intels offerings.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah, which is the real pain in the dick of AMD falling off so badly. At least when they were a viable alternative Intel had to cut prices occasionally. I'd totally just snap up an Ivy Bridge if they were any cheaper than a Haswell but they just aren't.

They only really ever cut the prices for chips that just weren't selling, combined with retailers ending up with way too much stock cutting prices as last ditch clearance efforts.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm eyeballing the 4570 since I don't really care about overclocking (even though I have the old Phenom overclocked a little).

I know there is a real difference in price in motherboards, but if you're lucky enough to live next to a microcenter you might be able to swing a 4670k + z87 mobo for cheaper than a 4570 + b85 mobo online. Microcenter is weird, but they rock.

And a "minor" overclock of that cpu is very easy. The stock cooler could handle 4.0 for me... barely, but it could. 4.4 was effortless with a $60 cooler, although I don't see why an evo 212 wouldn't work.

edit: Ugh there I go again. Sorry sorry

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 24, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Sadly the nearest MicroCenter to me is in Dallas, which is a solid 1.5-2 hours wach way (assuming reasonable traffic :newlol: ) plus a tank of gas so that neatly evaporates most if not all of the savings.

Newegg has the 4670K for 219 (only on one listing, why there is more than one listing is anyone's guess)

edit: I should be able to continue using my PC-12800 DDR 3 on a new board, right? I feel silly asking but I don't trust things that seem too easy/cheap :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Newegg has the 4670K for 219 (only on one listing, why there is more than one listing is anyone's guess)
Newegg is like Amazon, they list products sold both by them and other stores. Make absolutely sure you filter by "Sold by: Newegg" or you are buying counterfeit product from some scam company.

quote:

edit: I should be able to continue using my PC-12800 DDR 3 on a new board, right? I feel silly asking but I don't trust things that seem too easy/cheap :v:
As long as the voltage is no higher than 1.50v yes. If it is higher than 1.50v buy new RAM, or you can likely run it at 1333Mhz at 1.50v.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alereon posted:

Newegg is like Amazon, they list products sold both by them and other stores. Make absolutely sure you filter by "Sold by: Newegg" or you are buying counterfeit product from some scam company.

Yeah I always do this. I had to open both items in tabs to realize one was a K and the other isn't. :saddowns:

Alereon posted:

As long as the voltage is no higher than 1.50v yes. If it is higher than 1.50v buy new RAM, or you can likely run it at 1333Mhz at 1.50v.

Sweet, I'm right on the money (also feel free to laugh at my old-rear end setup)

e: goddammit radium

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 25, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're STRANGLING those poor vid cards with those processors!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Jago posted:

The guy knows, hence two posts ago he's mentioning the i5 he wants to get.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Jago posted:

Man, you'll really hate me then. I don't even have it over clocked or the fourth core unlocked anymore.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I used to have one of those 720's, so I know what you are doing there too. :(

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Jago posted:

I used to have one of those 720's, so I know what you are doing there too. :(

I've gotten to the point that I am just going to wait until it dies, or DDR4 has it's first big price drop and build then. Who knows, maybe AMD will have another offering by then :v: It still plays what I want at an acceptable frame rate on fairly high settings so I have no huge complaints. The HDD speed is what kills me the most for day to day usage, especially since I bought a Haswell Air.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

thegreatcodfish posted:

Who knows, maybe AMD will have another offering by then :v:

It'd be quite welcome, but AMD's annual budget (after over a billion dollars in Intel largesse!) fits into Intel's R&D budget alone almost twice over, and Intel's at least one step ahead of everyone already (usually two), so it'd probably take an actual 'call the Pope' miracle.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It'd be quite welcome, but AMD's annual budget (after over a billion dollars in Intel largesse!) fits into Intel's R&D budget alone almost twice over, and Intel's at least one step ahead of everyone already (usually two), so it'd probably take an actual 'call the Pope' miracle.

Wow. That is bleak.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to "sources", AMD is dropping the FX-9590. Seems they are throwing everything they have into their HSA strategy.

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat
So David Kanter over at Real World Tech posted a deep dive into the Jaguar architecture for those who are interested in that sort of thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

According to "sources", AMD is dropping the FX-9590. Seems they are throwing everything they have into their HSA strategy.

Drop it like it's hot.

220 Watts hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Newegg has the FX-9590 as a shell shocker deal for $260 today, which ties right into that. I'd love the novelty of playing around with a 220W CPU but $260 is just too high.

I wonder how many of these sold anywhere near retail price.

• Locked thread