Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If we want to talk about disasters then I have a hot one!

My wife has really really really wanted me to do Chef John's ("Fooood Wishes dot com") tomato galette. After a whole pile of procrastination, I decided to wrestle that beast today. The video is coherent enough--I discovered later, but the written instructions were uncharacteristically awful. I also suck at reading comprehension but somebody here is going to feel my pain.

My first problem was discovering one of the two 4-oz packages of goat cheese I got was sweetened with honey. At this point, I could have given up, but I was determined to finally try this drat thing, so I made a trip out particularly to get that tonight. That added to the time investment, which is about to make this even worse.

The filling is actually split into two sections but is written out as a big pile. The tomatoes, oil, and mustard are mixed separate from everything else. I had put the mustard with the cheese mix. Ultimately, that also didn't matter, but I'm trying to make excuses.

Now for the best part. I don't do poo poo like this in a conventional oven too much any more and my regular old oven baking common sense has gone to poo poo. Somewhere in the directions, he indicates to put the rolled pastry for the galette on a pizza pan and put it in the fridge. Some more steps happen in between. You then take that out, top it with everything, fold over the edge, and put it in an oven with a pan underneath to catch drippings. Sounds fine, right? Let's say you missed the keeping things on the pan part. Let's say you are wondering how the gently caress this is supposed to work because of that. Well, Chef John, you're the boss! So you get out your pizza peel, dust that bitch, slap the galette on it, top it, and send er' right on the middle rack. A few minutes later, the pan you put underneath it has caught... all the drippings. Here "drippings" means "the entire galette as it sieves itself between the wires."

So now I have a sorta-flatbread pastry thing. Looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The 'Roni quarantine has been the best time of my life. Also made probably the most delicious pizza I've ever had. This one was homemade mozzarella, using a thermophilic culture in raw Jersey cow milk; the dough was the first time I used a 'biga', with just instant yeast. Basil grew in my aerogarden, which as far as I can tell, is the only thing it's actually good at:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tried a same day crust using the Ooni recipe and was very happy with the results. No tearing, very easy to work. Not as much flavor as a cold ferment but drat good for deciding we wanted pizza at 2pm and eating at 8

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cross post from the sourdough thread.

Speaking of which I’m getting my sourdough pizza game dialed in

Still need to get some wheat flour to mix in but even all white it’s pretty loving tasty.

I finally figured out my lovely oven. The correct temp for pizza on it is “balls out never not broil we don’t need gas bills where we’re going”

I need a new oven.

And to not live in an apartment.

Still good pizza.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've been using solely my sourdough starter to make a NY style dough for the past several weeks to try and ration the bit of active yeast that we have left. It works mostly OK, but hopefully someone has some tips to make it better. My main issues are that the dough doesn't stretch nearly as well as when I use active yeast, and tears much more easily.

I'm using Kenji's basic NY style dough recipe, though with a standing mixer/dough hook. I usually go for at least 3-4 days in the fridge. I've adjusted the recipe for the starter, removing 90g of flour and 120g of water for ~200g of fed starter (this varies by about 20g one way or the other).

With the active yeast, I could throw it right in the fridge after mixing and it would rise the first day, then I'd knock it down and let it sit for a few more days to ferment. With the starter, I leave it out for 6-8 hours to get moving, then put it in the fridge.

What usually happens is that the dough has "weak spots" that thin out and tear in an instant if I try to stretch it. I've had OK results by pressing it into shape instead. Is it not getting kneaded enough? Should I mix ingredients differently? Usually everything but the oil and water goes into the mixer for a minute, then I pour those over and let it go for 5-6 minutes on a lower speed to incorporate and knead for a bit.

It still cooks up well and tastes fine, its just tougher to work with.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 9, 2020

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

large hands posted:

Tried a same day crust using the Ooni recipe and was very happy with the results. No tearing, very easy to work. Not as much flavor as a cold ferment but drat good for deciding we wanted pizza at 2pm and eating at 8

Pretty drat sexy

forbidden dialectics posted:

The 'Roni quarantine has been the best time of my life. Also made probably the most delicious pizza I've ever had. This one was homemade mozzarella, using a thermophilic culture in raw Jersey cow milk; the dough was the first time I used a 'biga', with just instant yeast. Basil grew in my aerogarden, which as far as I can tell, is the only thing it's actually good at:

Homemade mozz? Pizza also looks like a boss too!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I broke down and ordered an Ooni Fyra, but they’re in backorder, so I’m waiting. Impatiently.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I broke down and ordered an Ooni Fyra, but they’re in backorder, so I’m waiting. Impatiently.

I'm already eyeballing Kodi 16's lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If you pay for shipping I will send you some cheese.

e: actually there's no way this works. It came to me in a cooler with ice bags.

Ok I have like three or four pounds of this brick cheese I need gone. I cannot eat it.

Anyone in the Seattle area can have it for $20 if you can come pick it up.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

MrYenko posted:

I ordered a Roccbox about 3 weeks ago. Seems like everyone's backed up with lockdown and social distancing spiking interest in backyard pizza cooking.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Veritek83 posted:

I ordered a Roccbox about 3 weeks ago. Seems like everyone's backed up with lockdown and social distancing spiking interest in backyard pizza cooking.

holy moley, that thing goes up to 950, wow.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
black forest ham and spring onions, dry mozz and bocconcini

tried upping the hydration from 60 to 62.5% (using 00 flour, same-day dough) but it just seemed to make the dough harder to evenly stretch and more prone to tearing. Guess I'll stick with the basic Ooni recipe for same-day pies in the future

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

large hands posted:

tried upping the hydration from 60 to 62.5% (using 00 flour, same-day dough) ...

I feel like the effect of hydration isn't linear, but I can't imagine really telling the difference between 60 and 62.5 percent if I was trying it blind unless I was a commercial outfit.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like the effect of hydration isn't linear, but I can't imagine really telling the difference between 60 and 62.5 percent if I was trying it blind unless I was a commercial outfit.

it could have been some other factors but i swear going from 600 to 625g of water for a kilo of flour made the dough seem way wetter in the mixer and looser after proofing than the batch i made a few days ago. but yeah, i can't eliminate temperature differences etc as variables. could be i let this one over-rise a bit

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Homemade mozz? Pizza also looks like a boss too!

Oh, yes. It's tremendously time consuming to make and basically impossible to plan - it could take 6 hours, it could take 20. But when it all comes together, it's really quite delicious. You can control for moisture content, meltability, fat content, how easily it browns, etc, depending on the culture you use, what pH you add the rennet and drain whey at, what temperature you cook the curds to, and how low you allow the final pH of the curd to get. Not to mention, the flavor of fresh, cultured mozzarella is really something special.

This video shows the general process (and also how...temperamental it can be, especially without a high quality pH meter...which cost ~$500 for something accurate enough):

https://youtu.be/CluOhy1zu9Q

If you are interested in cheese making in general, Giancarlis Caldwell's book, "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" is more or less the bible of home Cheesemaking and most internet recipes are more or less plagiarised (often poorly) from it.

Only thing I'd caution is that the vast majority of grocery store milk is not usable for Cheesemaking. It's either pasteurized to too high a temperature (even if it's not "ultra" pasteurized), or homogenized in such a way that makes the curds far too fragile to use. Look for non-homogenized, "vat" or "low-temperature" pasteurized milk.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I tried following Jeff Varasano’s dough recipe with caputo flour yesterday to put in my Koda 16. Based on my reading, he likes the dough more hydrated so that it holds up to the high temperature of the pizza oven. Dough was perfect and it easily stretched to shape on the marble counter, but when I tried to transfer the 10-12” pie to the pee, it was all over the place and starting to stick to the counter. Ended up adding flour (probably too much) and re-making it on the peel but by that point it was tougher to spread and had a lot of recoil to it. It seems like when I stretch it, it exposes moist dough that doesn’t have a coating of flour on it and sticks to the surface. I know I’m doing something wrong, hoping one of you experts can help explain how to properly prepare the dough. Pizza turned out great in the end, but I imagine it would’ve been even better.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

mls posted:

I tried following Jeff Varasano’s dough recipe with caputo flour yesterday to put in my Koda 16. Based on my reading, he likes the dough more hydrated so that it holds up to the high temperature of the pizza oven. Dough was perfect and it easily stretched to shape on the marble counter, but when I tried to transfer the 10-12” pie to the pee, it was all over the place and starting to stick to the counter. Ended up adding flour (probably too much) and re-making it on the peel but by that point it was tougher to spread and had a lot of recoil to it. It seems like when I stretch it, it exposes moist dough that doesn’t have a coating of flour on it and sticks to the surface. I know I’m doing something wrong, hoping one of you experts can help explain how to properly prepare the dough. Pizza turned out great in the end, but I imagine it would’ve been even better.

Yeah, the problem is that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

62-64% hydration is typical in Naples with 00 flour. I've heard that some famous spots like Da Michele go as low as 59%. I've spoken to a bunch of pizzaiolos stateside at least, and 65% is the absolute max I've ever heard.

More water actually gives you a worse rise, and leads to the problem you experienced. This isn't a baguette - a pizza is supposed to cook really fast.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 12, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
From his website it doesn't seem like he's suggesting anything too crazy:

quote:

If you use Caputo or any 00 flour, you may find that it takes a lot more flour for the given amount of water. Probably a baker's % of 60% or so. One reason I like to feel the dough rather than strictly measure the percent hydration is that with feel you don't have to worry about the type of flour so much. A Caputo and a Bread will feel the same when they are done, even though one might have 60% water and the other 65%. It's the feel that I shoot for, not the number.  I vary wetness based on my heat - higher the oven temp, the wetter I want the dough.

His recipe calls for 65% with all purpose flour but he's pretty big on relying more on look and feel of the dough to get a good result

I mostly solved sticking problems by only forming the dough on my hands, then straight onto the peel with lots of cornmeal on it, then thirty seconds at most to dress it, then a quick shake to make sure it's moving on the peel and into the oven.

large hands fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 12, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mls posted:

I'd actually think a lower hydration would make more sense at the higher temperatures of a pizza oven--assuming you're doing the Neapolitan thing. The rear end in a top hat Book pushes for 55% hydration and that had worked about right for me. Making it wetter meant having a wet layer on top of the wetness that you tend to get with Neapolitan pizzas already. Nobody I serve actually wanted that kind of pizza so I went to a more NY-style that's at a lower temperature, so it cooks longer, so it needs more water to not dry out.

That recipe mentioned dabbing some oil for practical reasons but there's no measure there so you could very well have put too much in. I've hosed that up and was left with a dough that I had to feed so much flour to shut up its stickiness that it basically became a mix between a good pizza dough and one that was freshly mixed and not kneaded properly.

large hands posted:

I mostly solved sticking problems by only forming the dough on my hands, then straight onto the peel with lots of cornmeal on it, then thirty seconds at most to dress it, then a quick shake to make sure it's moving on the peel and into the oven.

Yeah that's pretty much the routine. I seem to be an iconoclast for using fine semolina though. The fine semolina I've found has been milled more precisely so it doesn't have sharp bits punching into the dough and just getting stuck. It leaves less of a nutty flavor in the pizza afterwards; some people do like that flavor though.

Also, if you get some good durum semolina, you'll start to have strange dreams at night where you're stuck in sleep paralysis while the bag perches over your night stand and talks to you for an hour about turning it into pasta.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks for the advice. It was the best dough we’ve made so it sounds like I should take his instructions with a grain of salt. I found it interesting that after adding the 75% of four called for, plus another 10% towards the end of the kneading, I ended up with a similar consistency as his. I think adding the final 15% would have brought the dough to where it ended up at by adding flour during the forming part. One thing I did do different is I added 2% of viral wheat gluten since I didn’t have bread flour to do a 50:50 00:BF.

On another note, I’ve made kenjis Detroit style pizza twice in the recommended pan, cooked at 500 convection on a 3/8” baking steel. Both time, the middle pieces had a undercooked dough while the edges were nice and crisp/black. Only other notable difference from the recipe is that I used only low moisture mozzarella and AP instead of bread flour. That sauce is amazing and we use it on all of our pizzas now.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Bunch of fun backyard pizzas in the stupid 112F heat!

Roasted shaved asparagus, balsamic Brussels sprout shavings, mozz, parm, garlic oil

Classic NY cheese

Roasted chicken on a jalapeno ranch base with mozz, red onions, BBQ sauce drizzle, chives

The ol' mozz and olive pie

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What are those greens? Basil?

When do you toss them on? The last time I did fresh basil on a pizza it came out kinda hosed up. Wondering if I should have pulled it out and tossed them on half way through the bake.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are those greens? Basil?

When do you toss them on? The last time I did fresh basil on a pizza it came out kinda hosed up. Wondering if I should have pulled it out and tossed them on half way through the bake.

Yeah it’s basil! I like the way the charred basil flavor works with my sourdough, so I put it on before I fire it off. It’s a quick bake though, usually 90seconds.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you are doing longer bakes like 2+ minutes then you can tuck the basil under the cheese. Next would be under the sauce, but I don't know the threshold. I have to do similar for crushed red chile flakes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah my poo poo oven needs way longer than that. I’ll just start tossing it on a few minutes before the end.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've put it on right after it comes out and the residual heat cooked it a bit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've started mixing whole wheat into my dough and it takes a little longer to cook. My solution has been to parcook the crust and sauce together for a few minutes, pull the pie to add cheese and toppings, and then broil it till it's done. It's been working pretty well and adding the sauce during the parcook helps to prevent that "toppings on a cracker" or boboly texture.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How long / what temp on the first cook?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

As high as my oven goes (525F) for about 3 or 4 minutes depending on how thick I made the crust.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
On my kitchen oven (which only hits 500-525 F), I've found parbaking the crust / some sauce (I'll add a bit more sauce after the parbake) is the way to go. Otherwise the toppings get overcooked (& cheese liquefies) before the crust gets an ideal amount of browning. Exact amount of time for the parbake depends on your oven/stone/dough. I've found 3-4 minutes is good as well, but IME you have a lot of wiggle room with the parbake if you don't have any toppings that really need to cook (I often don't time the parbake any more). You'll figure out what is a good parbake time for your set up pretty quickly (just keep adding/subtracting a minute from the parbake until you hit a point where your toppings and crust are finishing at around the same time in the final bake). Also, if you realize you parbaked too long, you can always switch on the broiler for a bit to speed up the cheese melting/topping crisping.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yup, I parbake my crusts too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't parbake with a pizza steel @ 500

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I parbake for 3 mins on 550 F with the crust/sauce, then I broil for about 2:30-3 mins on the top rack, comes out the best I've done, got that from the Forkish book

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Ive found good results by just preheating a cast iron pan on the stove till blazing, prepaing sauce cheese toppings directly on the pan, and tossing in the oven. Avoids the need for an extended oven preheat to warm a atone / steel.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Fuckin' around with white pies lately

Lemon panna base with pistachios, parm, mozz, sun dried tomatoes, onion jam, basil. Tasted really nice, very fresh and bright. The onion jam didn't look super awesome on the pie, but it tasted so good with everything else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cheezer for the kid

pulled pork bbq pizza

mls
Jun 6, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

cheezer for the kid

pulled pork bbq pizza

Pretty sure I would’ve eaten this like a burrito. It looks delicious!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mls posted:

Pretty sure I would’ve eaten this like a burrito. It looks delicious!

Speaking of: Tex-Mex pizza is definitely a thing. Use enchilada sauce, cheddar-jack blend, chorizo, refried beans, and any typical spread of vegetables (although pico de gallo also works quite fine). I'll consider two of them when I'm doing big pizza days of 8+ pizzas, but that really hasn't been a thing this year. :(

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Speaking of: Tex-Mex pizza is definitely a thing. Use enchilada sauce, cheddar-jack blend, chorizo, refried beans, and any typical spread of vegetables (although pico de gallo also works quite fine). I'll consider two of them when I'm doing big pizza days of 8+ pizzas, but that really hasn't been a thing this year. :(

When we latinos are in the majority you gringos will pay for your high crimes and missy misdemeanors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Beans on pizza seems like it should be referred directly to the UN International Crime Tribunal.