Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

They managed to lift the climactic speech from The Dictator and make it even less subtle. Bravo, Onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Group Of Friends Engage In Passionate, Incoherent Discussion About Current Events

This is every discussion ever had at the bar of a fraternal lodge where I bartended for about 4 years.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Hello Sailor posted:

Group Of Friends Engage In Passionate, Incoherent Discussion About Current Events

This is every discussion ever had at the bar of a fraternal lodge where I bartended for about 4 years.

Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was the bar in the story was on Bar Rescue?

edit: If this story ended with the discussion segueing into how The Dark Knight Rises wasn't as good as they thought it was when they first saw it and, how Heath Ledger was so great in The Dark Knight, then it would describe most of my nights out drinking this summer.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Aug 15, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Egypt Plunges Into State Of Middle East

The Onion posted:

[...]while the Middle East in Egypt is showing no signs of letting up, the situation has thankfully not yet boiled over into a full-blown Africa.
Nice callback to this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

8 of the hottest celebrities without their flesh.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/8-of-the-hottest-celebs-without-their-flesh,33505/

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Terrified Laptop Wakes Up Inside Case (sponsored by Samsonite)

There's something deliciously absurd about these sponsored articles.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It Says Here On Your Résumé, Mr. Zimmerman, That You Shot A Boy?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

I read an interview in a newspaper right after the verdict was announced that basically said the same thing as that article regarding Zimmerman's future employment prospects.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I read an interview in a newspaper right after the verdict was announced that basically said the same thing as that article regarding Zimmerman's future employment prospects.

I think the Onion is being uncharacteristically optimistic and underestimating the amount of wretched people who hail Zimmerman as a hero for killing Martin because he's a proxy for Obama, or because he got to say the n-word AND cracker, or some other equally insane reason.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dr Christmas posted:

I think the Onion is being uncharacteristically optimistic and underestimating the amount of wretched people who hail Zimmerman as a hero for killing Martin because he's a proxy for Obama, or because he got to say the n-word AND cracker, or some other equally insane reason.

he did a drug

A DRUG I TELL YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The onion shop is pretty great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

You weren’t deemed a murderer by the state. So, on the record, you’re not a murderer. But off the record, you are.

It's extremely funny and also deeply depressing!

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Does anyone remember an Onion article titled something like "We must not allow the other side to win this election?" The joke was that the author's party was never identified and the article contained nothing but generic political rhetoric ("we stand for the values that made America great, but the other side wants to destroy those values," "we represent the hardworking middle class, while the other side is beholden to special interests") that could have come from a politician on either side.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Giant Squid posted:

Does anyone remember an Onion article titled something like "We must not allow the other side to win this election?" The joke was that the author's party was never identified and the article contained nothing but generic political rhetoric ("we stand for the values that made America great, but the other side wants to destroy those values," "we represent the hardworking middle class, while the other side is beholden to special interests") that could have come from a politician on either side.

Is it this?
http://reason.com/archives/2012/08/20/the-wrong-side-absolutely-must-not-win

Cause I found it by searching google for exactly what you put in quotes...without quotes

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

CarForumPoster posted:

Is it this?
http://reason.com/archives/2012/08/20/the-wrong-side-absolutely-must-not-win

Cause I found it by searching google for exactly what you put in quotes...without quotes

:doh: Well, I feel dumb. I was so sure it had come from the Onion. Thanks for finding it!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've always loved this article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/84-million-new-yorkers-suddenly-realize-new-york-c,18003/

It pretty much sums up exactly how I felt when I made up my mind to get out of New York City. It's beautiful.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've always loved this article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/84-million-new-yorkers-suddenly-realize-new-york-c,18003/

It pretty much sums up exactly how I felt when I made up my mind to get out of New York City. It's beautiful.

Note, however, that Bloomberg says "the people there aren't loving insane" about the town that brought us Amy's Baking Company.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Area Teen Quickly Running Out Of Chances To Be First Openly Gay Anything
Report: There Only 17 Total Square Miles On Earth Where Gays Not Discriminated Against

Bonus:
Barney Frank: Being a congressman less socially acceptable than being gay

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

San Andreas Fault Feels Terrible For What It’s About To Do

Not the most soothing of articles for someone who lives within the San Jacinto Fault Zone (and only a few miles away from the fault itself). :ohdear:

Cross-Section has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Aug 20, 2013

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Google Shuts Down Gmail For Two Hours To Show Its Immense Power

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Washington’s Hobby Lobby Lobbies To Strengthen Hobbies

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Adolescent Girl Reaching Age Where She Starts Exploring Stepfather's Body

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

A worthy successor to Romney: 'This Is Why They Call Me Turnaround Mitty From Comeback City'

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Obama Family Adopts 44-Year-Old Portuguese Water Man

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I love these wordplay pieces. One of my all-time favorites from them is Amazing New Hyperbolic Chamber Greatest Invention In The History Of Mankind Ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"It won’t be long before her childhood is gone forever.”

:gonk:

As always the last line nails it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I saw this on the sidebar and just had to.

Elmore Leonard, Modern Prose Master, Noted For His Terse Prose Style And For Writing About Things Perfectly And Succinctly With A Remarkable Economy Of Words, Unfortunately And Sadly Expired This Gloomy Tuesday At The Age Of 87 Years Old

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, Elmore Leonard is dead? :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This is even better if you read his 10 Rules of Writing first.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

This one made me laugh like an idiot. So good!

'We’ll Lobby For Hobbies All The Way To Abu Dhabi,’ Says Lobby Rep Robbie Stobby

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is even better if you read his 10 Rules of Writing first.

Here is the original article at The New York Times: WRITERS ON WRITING; Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially Hooptedoodle.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
New Point/Counterpoint! Who Wants A Belly Rub? vs. I Want A Belly Rub

quote:

Who’s got the best belly? Who’s got the best? And what about those ears? Who wants a scratchy scratch behind those ears? Who does? Who’s a big ol’ scruffy duffy boy who wants scratchy behind those floppy ears?

Now, to answer several of your other questions: I am the cutest little boy in the whole world. I have the best belly. And I am a big ol’ scruffy duffy boy.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Oh my god this is perfect. Reminded me of this one: Bo Obama Receives Visiting Dognitaries From Furuguay

edit: Good loving christ this one is dark. Awkward New International Student Saw His Entire Family Murdered In The Congo

“He’s such a loser,” said Danica Martray of the boy who has seen infants sliced in half, grew up accepting the inherent risk that he might step on a landmine while playing soccer, and has witnessed large groups of men and women grieving hysterically. “I swear to God he was born without a personality. He just makes everyone else uncomfortable.”

internet celebrity has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Aug 22, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

internet celebrity posted:

edit: Good loving christ this one is dark. Awkward New International Student Saw His Entire Family Murdered In The Congo

“He’s such a loser,” said Danica Martray of the boy who has seen infants sliced in half, grew up accepting the inherent risk that he might step on a landmine while playing soccer, and has witnessed large groups of men and women grieving hysterically. “I swear to God he was born without a personality. He just makes everyone else uncomfortable.”
That last line. Jesus loving Christ.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
New Desktop Folder Created For Sad Little Creative Project

That's a little close to home, Onion.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
:stonk:

For all the hosed up articles that the Onion has written, this is the only one that's ever made me look for a palette cleanser right after.

Study: Majority Of Children Lack Strong Male Supermodels

This is a good start, but I think I'm going to have to go on a binge.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Oh no, they got me too. :smith:

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
If you've ever had the displeasure of reading or listening to Chuck Klosterman, this one is spot loving on: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Seemingly Mentally Ill Internet Commenter Presumably Functions In Outside World

Goldman Sachs Announces They’re Blowing Up A Nursing Home And There’s Nothing Anyone Can Do About It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goons.html