Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All I know about fishing off a canoe is that you need an anchor for wind and to cast straight down the front of the boat to minimize rotation. Are you going to be fishing in the ocean?

No, not really. Mostly bluewater rivers/inlets/bays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey all. Anyone here fish with kayak? I have an Ocean Kayak Angler II and want to install a fish-finder on it. I've been looking at the Helix-5 G2 SI. Thoughts?

I had a helix 5 this summer, the screen is too small to really be useful for side imaging but it was an okay little unit. I'd compare against the Garmin Echomaps if you're thinking about using Autochart much. Autochart gives you 8 hours of recording time but after that you need the $100 humminbird zerolines SD card. Garmin has QuickDraw which is the same thing but works with any SD card. The Garmins are a bit cheaper for the same features too, you could probably get a Echomap 7" for the same price as the Helix 5.

Navionics/Lakemaster doesn't work on Garmins but they have their own mapping, you can check before you buy to see if your area is covered if that's important to you.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I had a helix 5 this summer, the screen is too small to really be useful for side imaging but it was an okay little unit. I'd compare against the Garmin Echomaps if you're thinking about using Autochart much. Autochart gives you 8 hours of recording time but after that you need the $100 humminbird zerolines SD card. Garmin has QuickDraw which is the same thing but works with any SD card. The Garmins are a bit cheaper for the same features too, you could probably get a Echomap 7" for the same price as the Helix 5.

Navionics/Lakemaster doesn't work on Garmins but they have their own mapping, you can check before you buy to see if your area is covered if that's important to you.

Sounds like a decent alternative. I'll see if they have any displays at WM or the like. I'm not so much concerned with price as I am with nav updates and the software UI. Plus, Humminbird transducers fit the pre-cut grommets of the OceanKayaks very well without any modification.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

gay picnic defence posted:

I sort of taught myself although I have had the opportunity to fish with some very good fishermen along the way who have contributed a lot too. My first few outings were downright embarrassing in hindsight and I'm glad I picked a secluded spot for those first attempts. I couldn't tell the difference between the movement of the rod tip due to waves and the twitches from fish biting, and as a result was striking at everything. I had rods that were totally inappropriate for where I was fishing, and tried to catch species that did not live in that area.
This reminds me of several years (okay, more like a decade tbh) back when I first decided to get back into fishing, I went to the local stocked canal and was just tossing power eggs carolina rigged and letting them sit off the bottom while I read a book and enjoyed the afternoon.

This guy walked up and took a place maybe 12 feet to my side, puts down his tackle box and three rods, then proceeds to fish with worms. He birdsnested the first rod and reel in like 5 or 10 minutes I would guess. He fumbled with it, gave up, tossed it on the ground and picked up another rod - and did the same drat thing in like 3 or 5 casts. Then he went to the third rod, tangled it up almost immediately again, then just picked up all his stuff and went home. If he was there for 35 minutes I'd be surprised. :laugh:

In retrospect I have a hunch that he spooled the line onto his reels backward, from how it was birdnesting in midair during his casts.

But it was a great lesson for me in "bringing a lot of stuff isn't always a boon." ;)

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All I know about fishing off a canoe is that you need an anchor for wind and to cast straight down the front of the boat to minimize rotation. Are you going to be fishing in the ocean?
IMHO if you have a canoe already, then just get yourself a little trolling motor so you can skip the anchor and hold yourself in place at will.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I had a store spool on line backwards before. Now I always do it myself.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I had a store spool on line backwards before. Now I always do it myself.

I felt like a major badass when I did that whatever 10 loop knot was to tie the two sections of braid together to put my new stuff on. Took awhile to get it right though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sounds like a decent alternative. I'll see if they have any displays at WM or the like. I'm not so much concerned with price as I am with nav updates and the software UI. Plus, Humminbird transducers fit the pre-cut grommets of the OceanKayaks very well without any modification.

Oh cool. Double check that though, I remember reading they had a hole that fit the 9 20 T which is the non-SI, 2-d only transducer. The SI transducer is about twice the size.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

coyo7e posted:

This reminds me of several years (okay, more like a decade tbh) back when I first decided to get back into fishing, I went to the local stocked canal and was just tossing power eggs carolina rigged and letting them sit off the bottom while I read a book and enjoyed the afternoon.

This guy walked up and took a place maybe 12 feet to my side, puts down his tackle box and three rods, then proceeds to fish with worms. He birdsnested the first rod and reel in like 5 or 10 minutes I would guess. He fumbled with it, gave up, tossed it on the ground and picked up another rod - and did the same drat thing in like 3 or 5 casts. Then he went to the third rod, tangled it up almost immediately again, then just picked up all his stuff and went home. If he was there for 35 minutes I'd be surprised. :laugh:

In retrospect I have a hunch that he spooled the line onto his reels backward, from how it was birdnesting in midair during his casts.

But it was a great lesson for me in "bringing a lot of stuff isn't always a boon." ;)

IMHO if you have a canoe already, then just get yourself a little trolling motor so you can skip the anchor and hold yourself in place at will.

I was never quite that bad, but I've seen similar. There was one bloke just starting out fishing next to me and he saw my two hook rig and must have thought that could apply to everything so he proceeded to tie 5 of those crappy pre rigged paddle tail plastics straight onto his (hi vis) main line

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

coyo7e posted:

It's a Kayak. I do have a rudder for it, but will likely need the anchor attachment as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Most of the salt water kayak guys around here use some flavor of Lowrance sonar/fish finders. Hummingbird is also popular but Lowrance is like the overwhelming brand I see.

We are very much into the winter season here, the freshwater bite seems to be dead all over. I was going to go after brackish pickerel with some dudes on Saturday but I managed to rip the pad of my pointer finger open the other day and it's gotten a little infected. This makes it kinda impossible to cast a spinning reel and I don't think I am good enough with my finesse casting combo have any fun with it in my yak. Sad bullshit all around.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Most of the salt water kayak guys around here use some flavor of Lowrance sonar/fish finders. Hummingbird is also popular but Lowrance is like the overwhelming brand I see.

We are very much into the winter season here, the freshwater bite seems to be dead all over. I was going to go after brackish pickerel with some dudes on Saturday but I managed to rip the pad of my pointer finger open the other day and it's gotten a little infected. This makes it kinda impossible to cast a spinning reel and I don't think I am good enough with my finesse casting combo have any fun with it in my yak. Sad bullshit all around.

I'm casting using a pair of light running gloves in the Northeast, you could try that. And yes, freshwater is extremely dead. 1 bite in the last few weeks.

I saw something feeding through my window today and cast into the pond where it was roughly at. I must have hit the drat thing because it popped out of the water before the drop and swam off into the distance on the top of the water like a Warner Bros. cartoon.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm casting using a pair of light running gloves in the Northeast, you could try that. And yes, freshwater is extremely dead. 1 bite in the last few weeks.

I saw something feeding through my window today and cast into the pond where it was roughly at. I must have hit the drat thing because it popped out of the water before the drop and swam off into the distance on the top of the water like a Warner Bros. cartoon.

I have never found gloves that work at all for spinning reels. I can use a casting reel ok with them, but I am not super great with a casting reel to begin with.

Also fish that show themselves and don't bite are annoying as gently caress. I fish a canal full of carp and they fake me out all the loving time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I have never found gloves that work at all for spinning reels. I can use a casting reel ok with them, but I am not super great with a casting reel to begin with.

Also fish that show themselves and don't bite are annoying as gently caress. I fish a canal full of carp and they fake me out all the loving time.

It was probably a 2lber but come on man, I NEED to catch something

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude I would walk ten miles to catch a 2lb bass right now. Hell, I spent three hours today hoping to catch a half pound bass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Dude I would walk ten miles to catch a 2lb bass right now. Hell, I spent three hours today hoping to catch a half pound bass.

Haha. I'm getting desperate. I might drop a Ned Rig in and let it sit for 10 minutes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Today I did one pass with a Ned, one with a small paddle tail with a 1/16oz weight, and one pass with the same weight but a zoom speedcraw. I am getting very good at walking around ponds at least.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Archery fishing is "knocking".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh man I would love to archery fish. I have a tomahawk (groomsman present, don't ask) do you think that would work too?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh, if I was going to kill something just to kill it I would go after geese. gently caress those loving filthy birds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, if I was going to kill something just to kill it I would go after geese. gently caress those loving filthy birds.

Carp are worse than geese. Introduced and they plow up the bottom like boars.
No guilt, no remorse.
They should be unlimited take, year round.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Goliath Groupers are a huge pain the rear end. One came right up and just took my buddies swim bag which had a couple hogfish and stone crab claws. They will just take a catch randomly as you bring it in, and you can't do poo poo because they are protected. I understand why you can't kill them, but drat thats a species that makes it hard.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

swickles posted:

Goliath Groupers are a huge pain the rear end. One came right up and just took my buddies swim bag which had a couple hogfish and stone crab claws. They will just take a catch randomly as you bring it in, and you can't do poo poo because they are protected. I understand why you can't kill them, but drat thats a species that makes it hard.

You can do plenty as long as no one is watching, just give em a jab with an oar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The species has had it pretty rough and probably extinct in another 50 years.

It's not like they are sea lions. gently caress those smart asses.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Carp are worse than geese. Introduced and they plow up the bottom like boars.
No guilt, no remorse.
They should be unlimited take, year round.

Yea but carp stay in the water and don't turn ponds green with their nasty poop. So much nasty poop.

I don't go out of my way to gently caress with geese, but I will never yield an inch of ground to one. Step to me, step to a rod tip across your rear end you loud feathered fucker.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Yea but carp stay in the water and don't turn ponds green with their nasty poop. So much nasty poop.

I don't go out of my way to gently caress with geese, but I will never yield an inch of ground to one. Step to me, step to a rod tip across your rear end you loud feathered fucker.

They do silt up trout and salmon breeding areas and suck down eggs. Please consider expanding your circle of hate to carp.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

They do silt up trout and salmon breeding areas and suck down eggs. Please consider expanding your circle of hate to carp.

Whoah now, we're in america. Geese and carp are Canadian and Chinese respectively, we can have animosity towards both.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

swickles posted:

Seals do that here. You'll be getting a lot of bites, then suddenly it will go dead and you'll hear the fucker snorting at you on the surface

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Seals do that here. You'll be getting a lot of bites, then suddenly it will go dead and you'll hear the fucker snorting at you on the surface

I love it when they follow the boat out of dock and just kinda wait for you catch something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Whoah now, we're in america. Geese and carp are Canadian and Chinese respectively, we can have animosity towards both.
Well everybody break out the champagne http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/07/health/snow-geese-deaths-berkeley-pit-trnd/

25 years ago I remember canada geese literally turning the skies black as I laid in the mud and corn shucks and decoys. Now if I see a thousand in a day it's shocking.

If dumbshits keep feeding the geese to the point they have no reason to migrate and just poo poo all over your favorite fishing hole then blame the dipshits feeding them, not the geese. They're not like sea lions which steal your catch - just a greasy spot on your shoes so wipe them off or take them off before you go inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
No I still blame the geese.

I used to work with this chick who kept her horse at some farm with a huge goose population. Every spring the horse girls would get sent out to collect their eggs every day. My bro would bring us five gallon buckets full of eggs and they ruled, a yoke the size of a chicken egg and neon orange. I might take goose control into my own hands this year as I really want those eggs again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How To Prepare And Cook A Canada Goose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsUS7f9WzU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A coworker admitted to killing a goose in the parking lot with a golf club and taking it home and roasting it like a turkey.

He liked it, but his family forbade him from ever doing it again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
In OR at least, I honestly think that urban killing of wild turkeys ought to be legal if you use an air rifle. They're a menace, and they're good eatin'. When they fly down out of the trees in the early morning it sounds like you're being attacked by the helos in Apocalypse Now - it really is something. They're big enough to break power lines when they hit them in midair, and occasionally will chase around police officers until they're dropped by service revolvers :laugh:

But I seriously have seen car accidents caused by someone swerving to avoid a squirrel, a turkey is big enough to mess up your car if you hit it wrong. Despite loving the feeling of hiding in a blind in a field in the chill misty morning and having this surreal experience of the thousands and thousands of geese coming in like goddamned normandy or something, canada goose is one of my least favorite fowl to eat.

I'd much rather hunt pheasant, and it's really easy and fun to just raise and release them, they taste amazing, and if you have a neighbor who buys weird-rear end imported breeds you end up with the most beautiful cock I've ever hunted and dropped

I still kinda wish I'd eaten him, but for reference he's a ringneck and green muten half-breed, and was like 20-30% bigger than any pheasant I've ever shot before or since

sorry for the derail, is there a bird-hunting thread that's not full of TFR :jerkbag: ?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 13, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

In OR at least, I honestly think that urban killing of wild turkeys ought to be legal if you use an air rifle. They're a menace, and they're good eatin'. When they fly down out of the trees in the early morning it sounds like you're being attacked by the helos in Apocalypse Now - it really is something. They're big enough to break power lines when they hit them in midair, and occasionally will chase around police officers until they're dropped by service revolvers :laugh:

But I seriously have seen car accidents caused by someone swerving to avoid a squirrel, a turkey is big enough to mess up your car if you hit it wrong.

Despite loving the feeling of hiding in a blind in a field in the chill misty morning and having this surreal experience of the thousands and thousands of geese coming in like goddamned normandy or something, canada goose is one of my least favorite fowl to eat.

I'd much rather hunt pheasant, and it's really easy and fun to just raise and release them, they taste amazing, and if you have a neighbor who buys weird-rear end imported breeds you end up with the most beautiful cock I've ever hunted and dropped

I still kinda wish I'd eaten him, but for reference he's a ringneck and green muten half-breed, and was like 20-30% bigger than any pheasant I've ever shot before or since

sorry for the derail, is there a bird-hunting thread that's not full of TFR :jerkbag: ?

You fished it with a gun, which we all would do if we could.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think people who don't like guns bother to post about hunting on the internet.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Im down with hunting chat. Keep it up, fishin season is kinda over here until April/May.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The tfr hunting thread is fine and so long as there is unfrozen water, one can fish.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
I went with the Helix-5 CHIRP Gen 2 with Side Imaging. Found it at Hodges Marine for $425, so really couldn't pass that up. Will let you guys know once I had time to install and play with it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bongwizzard posted:

The tfr hunting thread is fine and so long as there is unfrozen water, one can fish.
And when water freezes over sufficiently, one can fish there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

And when water freezes over sufficiently, one can fish there as well.

Sadly I live in a spot with ice never quite gets hard enough for one to safely fish on top of it.