Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Holy crap, a surface ad which actually talksa bout what the device can do, instead of how fun it is to dance with?

SOMEONE HOLD ME, I'M SO SCARED AND CONFUSED. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OqzxB-cSW8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Maneki Neko posted:

Holy crap, a surface ad which actually talksa bout what the device can do, instead of how fun it is to dance with?

SOMEONE HOLD ME, I'M SO SCARED AND CONFUSED. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OqzxB-cSW8
:confused: No reference to the iPad? How am I supposed to figure out if it's better then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's still a fundamental problem in the ad where they just call it Surface 2.

So, they've gone from Surface RT and Surface Pro to Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2.

The former naming at least had a hint that it was different than a full Windows computer, but the naming now is even more likely to confuse since people have been used to windows having a "pro" version that was just for corporate but otherwise pretty much the same as what they were using.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Those are the most spacious planes and lecture halls I've seen in my life. But its better.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For those of you that think the Windows RT should just be replaced by Windows 8.1 on Intel SoCs, so that people can access legacy apps: is the desktop not pretty much unusable on a touchscreen unless you have the keyboard attachment or a mouse connected? I know Office has had button spacing tweaked to help with touch, but other than how would something like iTunes be usable on a 10 inch screen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X05HHnid4o

This is why RT needs to die. Also it's trivially easy to connect kb/mouse to a tablet.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 27, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Syrinxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X05HHnid4o

This is why RT needs to die. Also it's trivially easy to connect kb/mouse to a tablet.

Especially since Bluetooth is so drat prevalent nowadays.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Wasn't really keen on the silver color, but it looks very nice in person. Screen is very noticeably better on the RT both in resolution and color. Two stage kickstand feels great.

After running a demo loop for awhile, Pro 2 said it was something like 98%, estimated 7 hours 25 minutes left. Not bad.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

RT needs to die because you can't play counterstrike on it? Can you play counterstrike on an iPad or Android device either (I actually wouldn't be surprised)? Regardless plenty of people don't play games on their computers, or prefer to do it on a desktop.

I guess if when the Surface 2 is released their are intel tablets with the same build quality for the same price then it is redundant, until then I still believe that it serves a purpose.

Is it known how much Baytrail will cost OEMs versus Tegra and Snapdragon chips?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Clover Trail tablets can be commonly seen for under $400, so uh, RT is still poo poo.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Clover Trail tablets can be commonly seen for under $400, so uh, RT is still poo poo.

Such as Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T (Tablet Only)for $525?

Or the Acer Iconia for £530?

What Clover Trails with W8 are available/are coming soon for under $400 that are actually worth a drat, most of the ones I've seen available have terrible reviews for ergonomics, durability and design. Not to mention that they're made of plastic and have lower resolution screens. When Bay trail swings into gear you may be right.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Way to cherry pick your results. The W510 can be seen for just under $600 with keyboard dock which is about what a Surface 2 will run you. The Samsung tablet can be seen factory refurbished for $350 and has an active digitizer. Seeing as the original RT is $350 and has neither x86 or an active digitizer...

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Way to cherry pick your results. The W510 can be seen for just under $600 with keyboard dock which is about what a Surface 2 will run you. The Samsung tablet can be seen factory refurbished for $350 and has an active digitizer. Seeing as the original RT is $350 and has neither x86 or an active digitizer...

You don't see the hypocrisy in accusing someone of cherry picking results, then comparing a refurb price against a brand new price when a refurb OG Surface with cover goes for USD249?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

quote:

Starting at $499.99 when it goes on sale this November, the Venue 11 Pro comes standard with a custom-designed 10.8-inch 1080p IPS touchscreen, one of Intel's new Bay Trail Atom processors, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, roughly 11 hours of battery life, and a full-size USB 3.0 port — in a 1.57 pound package that's just over 10 millimeters thick.
Well pack it in RT, you're done

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but that pretty much is the case.

What your quote didn't include was the Venue 8 Pro. $300 Bay Trail full 8.1 8" tablet. It is down on screen resolution from Surface 2, but otherwise is looks good and is more portable. I really can't see getting a Surface 2 over that if you were looking at the cheap end of Windows tablets.

Also, intel SoCs must not be all that expensive because Dell is selling the Android based Venue 8 (non-pro) for only $179 and it has clover trail+. No, it isn't bay trail, but even clover trail is enough to run the Modern App ecosystem as least as well as Tegra 4 (and absolutely better than Tegra 3 of the original Surface RT.)

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'll be curious to read about the build quality on the Dell tablets. I usually associate Dell with cheap and plasticky, whereas the Surface at least has the "premium feel" thing going for it. I think that's one thing that draws people to iPads/iPhones, besides everything else, is that in the hand it feels like you have something luxurious and prestigious and not creaky Chinese plastic. Dell's low low pricing on them makes me wonder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At some point, comparing them against the Surface counterparts falls down a bit because Microsoft is subsidizing those devices. Dell will never be able to make a Surface RT or Surface 2 competitor because Microsoft is taking a bath on them. That's one of the ways Microsoft really screwed things up here.

They created a benchmark device and then was forced to sell it at prices that no OEM could hit and keep it as a viable product. It's (temporarily) good for the consumer, but it really leaves you with a dead end product line. Microsoft will remain the only Windows RT seller and it will remain a niche device until Microsoft decides it's not beneficial to their long term strategy and kills it off.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Finally. I have been waiting a long time for a Windows tablet worth a poo poo at $500. Hope MS learned a valuable lesson today haha just kidding this lesson will go straight to the circular file with BoB, the kin, Zune, WP7.5, Xbone and Surface 2 RT.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'll be curious to read about the build quality on the Dell tablets.
This is the main thing I'm worried about. The Surface RT felt desirable as a physical object, which for me outweighed plenty of downsides, however these tablets (especially in red!) are better in so many ways that it outweighs that visceral feeling.

Also Endgadget said that the larger surface offers an optional pressure sensitive pen, which I think implies an active digitiser. In which case my dream of a worthwhile OneNote device has finally come to fruition!

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but that pretty much is the case.

Not even a little.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

What your quote didn't include was the Venue 8 Pro. $300 Bay Trail full 8.1 8" tablet. It is down on screen resolution from Surface 2, but otherwise is looks good and is more portable. I really can't see getting a Surface 2 over that if you were looking at the cheap end of Windows tablets.

Yeah, the lower resolution screen is unfortunate as is the dearth of ports. Since I already have the second-generation Nexus 7, it's no longer an impulse buy like the aforementioned Nexus 7. I guess I can wait for the reviews or see if anyone else would eventually release a 1080p 7-8" tablet. It would be great if the microUSB port could work with a USB OTG adapter and had SlimPort (or MHL) support since I already have them for my Nexus 7. Of course, the low resolution screen will still be a stickler when compared to my Nexus 7. Heck, I wish ASUS would take the Nexus 7 and stuff Bay Trail and Windows 8 on it and call it a day.

One thing I do wish I knew is how good Bay Trail is at software decoding 1080p 10-bit videos. My Nexus 7 seems to be just barely too slow to smoothly decode those kinds which was disappointing though overclocking may remedy that.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
oops.

EDIT: For some substance, seems this thread would have a lot more utility if it was changed back to being the Windows 8/Windows RT Tablet thread as it was originally conceived. It's changed back into that anyway so might as well make it official.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 3, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ars had a hands on with the Venue 8 Pro.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/hands-on-dell-ups-its-game-with-new-android-and-windows-8-1-tablets/

quote:

Like the Android tablets, the Venue 8 Pro is limited to a 1280x800 IPS display, which at 189 PPI isn't particularly crisp but features decent color and good viewing angles. Everything on the inside of the tablet gets a significant upgrade, beginning with a new Bay Trail-based 1.8GHz quad-core Atom Z3740D. Bay Trail should offer significantly upgraded CPU and GPU performance over older Clover Trail and Clover Trail+ tablets, potentially helping the Venue 8 Pro out especially when running Windows desktop apps.

The Venue 8 Pro also includes 2GB of DDR3L, dual-band 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, a TPM module, a 5MP rear camera and 1.2MP front camera, and a micro SD card slot. Optional LTE. 32GB or 64GB storage options are also available, though it's still on a slow eMMC interface that will be significantly slower than a SATA or PCI Express storage interface. All of this fits into a package that is actually thinner than the Android-equipped Venue 8 at 0.35 inches, though it's slightly heavier at 0.86 pounds.

The Venue 8 Pro feels significantly more, well, tablet-y than the Iconia W3, which is just a little too thick and heavy to fit in next to tablets like the Nexus 7 or iPad mini. The weight, thickness, and soft-touch back make the tablet nice to hold, and the tablet's UI is smooth and responsive on both the Start screen and the desktop. The tablet should get about ten hours of battery life, though of course we'll have to wait to get a review unit before we can put that claim to the test.

You might notice that there's no Windows button on the front face of the Venue 8 Pro, a bit of an oddity given the button's ubiquity in nearly every other Windows 8 tablet or convertible we've seen in the last year. The button has been relocated to the tablet's top edge, which may take a little getting used to. Power and volume buttons, a headphone jack, and a USB 2.0 port are also peppered around the tablets edges. Finally, the tablet has a few optional accessories, none of which were on hand at the event: a Bluetooth keyboard, a cover that doubles as a stand, and a pen accessory that works with the tablet's Synaptics digitizer are all on offer, though pricing was not discussed.

The Venue 8 Pro (and the other Bay Trail tablets we've glimpsed so far) finally feels like a true Windows tablet, and not just an Ultrabook or netbook pretending to be a tablet. It starts at $299 and will go on sale on October 18th.

Seems like a pretty drat solid device for $299. Again, 1080p would have been nice, but they are at least using an IPS display.

Personally, I'm already thinking that the Venue 8 Pro with LTE might be the perfect thing to use for a rotating on call device at work. Right now, we just have a floating 14" Latitude with LTE hotspot that people take when they are on call. This would be signficantly smaller and lighter with integrated connectivity, yet would be perfectly capable of doing what's necessary for the job. All for a pretty cheap package.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 3, 2013

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
So I just got a Windows Surface RT 32GB given to me as a gift.

Is it worth keeping or just selling it?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'd be inclined to see how you like it with 8.1 installed when that's available in a few weeks. I found that it was a pretty substantial improvement in metro (on a Surface Pro), which is where you'll spend almost all your time on an RT. 8.1 felt much more refined and fully baked in tablet mode. I don't know if it perks the performance up on RT, but I'd hope so.

Of course, if you have no interest in tablets or Windows 8, then sell it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'd be inclined to see how you like it with 8.1 installed when that's available in a few weeks. I found that it was a pretty substantial improvement in metro (on a Surface Pro), which is where you'll spend almost all your time on an RT. 8.1 felt much more refined and fully baked in tablet mode. I don't know if it perks the performance up on RT, but I'd hope so.

Of course, if you have no interest in tablets or Windows 8, then sell it.

My RT running 8.1 preview is almost unusable it's so slow at times

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Well that sucks. I figured they'd have heard the complaints about RT being slow and tried to optimize it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
The 8.1 Preview had some decent issues but the RTM runs much better and I'm happy with it. It's not hard to upgrade either (for Surface RT anyway), but I'm not sure if it'd fall under the :filez: clause. You use your own key of course, but you have to locate the correct ISO. I'll post more if that's kosher.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Rent posted:

My RT running 8.1 preview is almost unusable it's so slow at times

I upgraded my Surface RT to 8.1 RTM and it's quite a bit faster and more responsive. Even the Desktop mode, which was annoyingly slow on 8, is actually okay to use now. It makes me kinda wish Microsoft would just open up RT to desktop apps. I mean, I compiled Mini vMac when there was a "Jailbreak" and it ran just fine. Of course, it does not take too much power to emulate a 1984 Mac, but still.

I mean, RT is a dead platform, why not just open it up at this point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't have any trouble with 8.1 RT preview running slowly. In fact, it's quite snappy. On the other hand, IE11 preview is surprisingly buggy with page transitions for me, and I have to restart the WLAN service pretty often. I'll be excited when I get RTM.

As to whether or not to keep it, it's pretty much all I use for web surfing. If you already have an iPad or something it might not be that worthwhile to keep.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Gotta remember though that the preview and RTM are two different builds and one generally runs better than the other.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Not sure if I'm making a mistake here, but I walked into the local Microsoft store and put in a pre-order for the surface pro 2, 128 GB version. It was $0 down, so I didn't see the harm, but I was looking to buy a laptop anyway with mine on it's way out. The SPro 2 seems to be a pretty high build quality. Also, I tried out the kickstand and it feel pretty comfortable in the lap.

I figured I could just add in a 64 GB micro SD card for around $50 to get some extra space if I needed it. I really only play a bunch of games from GoG, Starcraft 2, Civ 5, Heroes of might and magic, etc. Didn't think an Intel Atom computer would be able to run those sort of programs.

Those Dell tablets DO look nice, as does the Yoga 11, but I don't think I could hold the Yoga for more than 2 or 3 minutes like a tablet @ 3.5 lbs.

E: Digitizer pen was pretty cool to play around with, but there was nowhere to attach or slide it in on the tablet. What the gently caress Microsoft (unless I'm an idiot and am missing the pen holder)

Zarfol fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 6, 2013

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
The pen clips into the charging port. It doesn't hold very solidly though. I would recommend getting a sleeve or something with a pocket for it.

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008
You think I'll be able to walk into a Best Buy on the 21st and buy a Pro 2? The Microsoft Store website won't let me buy it, keep getting an error after I hit "complete purchase"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like they released some benchmarks for the new Bay Trail processor.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/intel-bay-trail-benchmarks/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like they released some benchmarks for the new Bay Trail processor.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/intel-bay-trail-benchmarks/

I assume Bay Trail gets better battery life than Haswell?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mister Fister posted:

I assume Bay Trail gets better battery life than Haswell?

That's putting it mildly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's October 17. Where's my update?

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

CharlesM posted:

It's October 17. Where's my update?
Still 30 minutes to go, it's supposed to go out 4am in Redmond time, and they said it'll be few hours before it's rolled out to all update servers and visible for everyone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I clicked the link from a support article directly to the store page and now I'm very happy to finally be on RTM and not have IE loving up all the time.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bull3964 posted:

Seems like a pretty drat solid device for $299.

Agreed, very drat solid. Good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Ars had a hands on with the Venue 8 Pro.

Seems like a pretty drat solid device for $299. Again, 1080p would have been nice...

Agreed, but a reminder that this is an x86 tablet. I think Win8 x86 has a decent future but that Win8RT is effectively done. Can we change this thread to just Win 8 instead of Win 8 RT, or is there another Win 8 x86 thread?

• Locked thread