Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is his sister hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

She's a solid 6 I'd say. Thanks for the heads up, heading to GWS!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:tipshat:

Thanks!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Just registered as the entrant for my bar in the Fernet-Branca Barback Games. I'm not even sure why they asked me. I'm slow and meticulous and thorough, not fast and sloppy and showy. Whatever, getting drunk on Fernet and running around like a moron carrying 1/4 barrels sounds like fun!

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Went to an industry event/tour at the Bonbay Sapphire distillery which turns out is under an hour away from me!

It was an amazing day. We toured to distillery and met the head distiller, brand ambassador and CEO. Also got to drink lots of gin. It was an amazing day and they've got a beautiful site. They have two green house structures which they grow the botanicals in that they use in the gin - obviously this is just for show rather than for the actual gin because they haven't got enough space. And we got to sample the raw botanicals - like liquorice bark and grains of paradise. All the staff were so passionate, I was pretty jealous, seems like an awesome job. Anyway, just wanted to brag because non bar people I know don't care. Top day. And got a free bottle of gin.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

gently caress. I thought I was safe after getting home from Tales. I thought id survived to live another day and everything would be ok now that I'm home again. my brain cells no longer have to live in fear, and maybe, maybe this week long menage a balls of razor sharp pain and blurry, monet vision will mellow out and the cosmos will return to its normal state of semi functional alcoholism that we're all used to...

you fuckin dumb assed, doe eyed, naive piece of poo poo.

so im just barely recovering from a multi day hangover, where through the haze, I've just found pics on my phone from 6am the night I got back from Tales, of me in a pink hello kitty onesie playing drums on a thong-clad mystery butt.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:stare:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds about right. The real question is where did the onesie come from?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Japan

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Drums or bongos?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

well yeah, bongos. the more primal, cave man-like style of buttcussion

although animal from the muppets on real drums is a p close comparison as well I guess

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

nrr posted:

Alright, what are some of the best ways you guys have for storing fresh mint on a bar?

It sounds stupidly simple but the best method I've seen came from a friend who kept a pint glass full of ice and mint behind the bar.

"Yeah I saw a cook shocking scallion curls in ice water and figured the same thing would keep these fresh"

To pretty it up at my place I got a tall glass cylinder from a home decor shop, filled 3/4 with ice, topped with water and gently pushed detached mint leaves beneath the surface. Use tongs or tweezers to grab bunches, it all stays crisp for 12+ hours if you replace the ice halfway through and looks kind of cool, like a giant mojito. Added benefit is that it revives any limp mint you have lying around too.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
My establishment is opening a new bar lounge on Saturday and it's going to be awesome and I guess I'm going to be working it. Just make me a full time doorman so I can read SA all day :v:, I actually am excited though. Should be fun a shitfight on opening night.

Edit: To expound, this new bar is perfectly positioned as the destination for post show drinks, we are opening the night of a sold out show.

Magog fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 2, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've done it. I'm in the business. I get to bartend!

...at a tiny hotel bar in a small rural town, where I didn't see a single soul besides my best friend who came to visit because it's the last weekend of lake/camping season :smith:

It's actually pretty nice. The hotel is 4 years old, the liquor selection is huge, and the regulars are polite and tip well. It kinda feels like if you took a sports bar and put a large focus on liquor, which is what most people drink when they come out there.

i'm just enthusiastic that I've finally managed to hit bartending instead of housekeeping or serving. I get to be a mad scientist, but with liquor!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Make sure to tell every bartender you meet where you work. Especially if you're sitting at a bar.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They're all interested and need to know :unsmigghh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is going to be as bad as asking about chili in GWS, but...

How do you make your Bloody Mary's?

Tonight I rimmed with celery salt and used black pepper, ground red pepper, lemon juice, Cholula hot sauce, a dash of tobasco and Worcestershire, and two drops of habanero hot sauce. It got thumbs up, and was very spicy, but I didn't really pay attention to a recipe, I just added poo poo I thought would be good in a peppery tomato drink. Is there a way to add ingredients, or something else I could have added?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sounds like you did fine although I typically used sea-salt rather than celery salt for mine. You got your baseline hot sauce + worcestershire, anything else is really up to you and the customer. Maybe try some horse-radish as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

death .cab for qt posted:

Thought I was in the Eve thread for a second.
Not even joking, chilli comes up there....from time to time
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718615&userid=94795

Cholula isn't very hot but it's really tasty, Tobasco has a helluva lot of vinegar "nose" and I don't know what habanero sauce you're using but I assume it's there just to amp things up.

It might not be your place to suggest a change so soon but you might have better results with the cheaper Tapatio hot sauce instead of Cholula or maybe Valentina for the vinegary kick. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that maybe there's a cheaper sauce that hits more of the notes your bar is trying to hit instead of using three different pepper sauces.

Like... a quart of Valentina is under $3 and that's a MASSIVE, MASSIVE amount cheaper than what I pay for Cholula even in costco amounts.

quote:

but I didn't really pay attention to a recipe
"spice to taste" means taste it and adjust. I think you should know and understand what you're serving people with something like a bloody mary.

JawKnee posted:

sounds like you did fine

didn't read about a bartender flaming out during sunday brunch, must be fine.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

didn't read about a bartender flaming out during sunday brunch, must be fine.

I worked a joint where we had 5 different specialty caesers for sunday brunch. loving hated that shift.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

I worked a joint where we had 5 different specialty caesers for sunday brunch. loving hated that shift.

Every "specialty Caesar" blows rear end anyway, there's nothing like the classic.

"Why yes, I'd love a cold, wet piece of bacon in my drink! The little bubbles of bacon grease floating on the top are the best thing ever!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

agreed, but also regular caesers suck too

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

JawKnee posted:

agreed, but also regular caesers suck too

Et tu, brute?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Veni, vidi, vomui

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

But yeah thanks for the advice. The vinegary taste is actually my least favorite part of Bloody Mary's, so I'll experiment at home today. I have quite the spice rack at home so I might try to make a Mary with as little, if possible no, vinegary sauces to see if I can get something a little closer to tomato juice without being spiceless.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I can't even take credit for the best bloody mary recipe I've ever used, and that sucks.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If bloodies or Caesars stress you out behind the bar, your mise is hosed up.

Use a tomato juice with more purée integrated into it so you get that silken texture. A splash of sherry vinegar makes a huge difference. You say you don't like the vinegary taste from the hot sauce but that is different from the sherry vinegar. Entirely. Use a different hot sauce that has more viscosity. Do not pre-mix the fresh citrus in because it will oxidize quickly. Add that per drink. Always roll, never shake. Go heavier on the worchestershire than you think you need to. Diluting salt is easier than spice, astringency or citrus to the guests preference. Smoked salt/chipotle powder mixture 50/50 is a nice half rim. Consider the addition of fresh chopped dill or cilantro. Good garnishes are pickled green beans, pickled green tomatoes, pickled carrot strips, homemade cocktail onions, smoked pineapple wedge, grilled carne asada strip on a skewer is better than bacon because the bacon gets cold and sheds fat.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

death .cab for qt posted:

How do you make your Bloody Mary's?

Pour vodka over ice. Pour Zing Zang over vodka, ice. Shake. Garnish with whatever retarded salad they actually meant to order. Serve.

God I loving hate Bloody Marys

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
The day I open my own place it's going to have Monday brunch, and all the stiffs can fuckin' sit and spin on it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I will definitely attend monday brunch and order a beer

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

JawKnee posted:

I will definitely attend monday brunch and order a beer

Do you know why Monday brunch owns? That wouldn't be followed with "and a coffee and a water"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don't shake your bloody Mary's you loving tard.

Also, if that's enough to spark your anger, you probably shouldn't bartend.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you are taking this way too seriously BABBY

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yeah wouldn't want to mix tomato juice and vodka too hard, might bruise the liquor

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's more a matter of avoiding frothy tomato juice, because that's loving gross. It's literally less effort to do properly and roll the drink.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"You shouldn't bartend"

*muddles mint in liquid nitrogen*

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I liked calling caeser's 'sleazers' whenever I served them to anyone, made me feel better

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mooyashi posted:

"You shouldn't bartend"

*muddles mint in liquid nitrogen*

Actually, you take LN and pour it over the herbs, then shatter/pulverize when they're frozen.

You're probably muddling wrong, as well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If bloodies or Caesars stress you out behind the bar, your mise is hosed up.

Or people shouldn't order bloodys after 5. gently caress you, guy at last call - "yea I'll have another bloody mary"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
We lost one of the best tonight. Raise your glass for Sasha.

• Locked thread