Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008
Booker is also in favor of "education reform" i.e. the diversion of public money to charter schools and voucher systems, which to me in essentially an unpardonable sin for someone that wants to play progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SpaceGirlArt posted:

Booker is also in favor of "education reform" i.e. the diversion of public money to charter schools and voucher systems, which to me in essentially an unpardonable sin for someone that wants to play progressive.

How familiar are you with Newark's public schools, out of curiosity?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jeffersonlives posted:

How familiar are you with Newark's public schools, out of curiosity?

Charter schools don't fix public schools.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

Exactly. Would I be surprised if Booker stayed glued to the financial industry? Not really. Do I judge it more likely he might change his mind than, say, Andrew Cuomo? Yes.

Bullshit, he won't. People will vote for him and once again turn progressivism into "support Wall Street at all costs, but it's OK because he supports gay marriage" lock stock and barrel. See Obama. You're just setting yourself up again. Look at past actions to predict future ones. Not to the vain hope that if you label someone a progressive and vote for them they will magically change.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Meh. Seriously, meh. A little strategy, a little thought. Right now, the Republicans are being horrible and a threat, so the Dems are focused defeating them.

As soon as they're reduced to a regional power - and that region might not be the South - the Democrats will do what the Democrats do best. Start shooting each other over doctrinal positions, and split up into wings of the party. At that point, we'll have the 80s Republican / actual progressive decisions to make. Right now, not so much. Especially not in Jersey.

Booker is a good man. That's enough for a start.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You do realize that the interests of the financial industry also happen to be the interests of a number of Booker's (future) constituents, right?

It's not like its illegitimate for him to consider the effect of financial regulations on the people he would be representing. (Yes, the rich ones too.). It might be offensive when someone from Iowa does it, but when you know a significant portion of the economic activity of your state depends on something, you SHOULD be paying attention to their concerns, or you're a lovely representative.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Tangentially, the private life of Cory Booker holds little interest for me, but I've nevertheless heard a constant low boil of Perry-style gay rumors. I defer to the thread hivemind: Any possible truth to that, or total bullshit?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SombreroAgnew posted:

Tangentially, the private life of Cory Booker holds little interest for me, but I've nevertheless heard a constant low boil of Perry-style gay rumors. I defer to the thread hivemind: Any possible truth to that, or total bullshit?

I know he has had several girlfriends (he was in a long-term relationship with a model named Veronica Webb as of a few years ago, don't know whether he still is) and that most of the gay rumors were originally Sharpe James plants. That doesn't mean he's not gay, but I really have no idea why he'd be closeted at this point if he was.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SombreroAgnew posted:

I'm going to say (having pulled this directly out of my rear end) that there is about a 40% chance he's gay. Though if that rumor is going to hurt his primary candidacy more than his awful economic policies will I'm all for it being spread.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

mcmagic posted:

Though if that rumor is going to hurt his primary candidacy more than his awful economic policies will I'm all for it being spread.
Wow, that's a pretty abhorrent sentiment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DynamicSloth posted:

Wow, that's a pretty abhorrent sentiment.

I wouldn't actively go out and do it myself... I find Booker to be very distasteful for a bunch of reasons and view him as a huge fraud. So it's that part of me talking...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I know he has had several girlfriends (he was in a long-term relationship with a model named Veronica Webb as of a few years ago, don't know whether he still is) and that most of the gay rumors were originally Sharpe James plants. That doesn't mean he's not gay, but I really have no idea why he'd be closeted at this point if he was.
... he could also be bi.

I think we're at a point where bachelor politicians are unfortunately seen as closeted gays. Granted, the blatant misogyny from Bloomberg reads like someone overcompensating, but he's really just a huge prick like that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Probably help with the image people tend to have of gay men if he was. I mean, maybe it's just a bunch of Putin-style PR bullshit, I dunno, but the guy does seem pretty macho, running into burning buildings and all. But I'd suspect any gay rumors are probably just that.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
He's just too busy (with his twitter addiction) to maintain a relationship. He wrote an article in 1992 about how he regrets being disgusted by gay people as a youth.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 5, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I really need to know the sexual orientations of various political figures for when I'm writing my 2016 fanfiction.

Speaking of: what are the odds that, assuming Booker wins the upcoming Senate election, he gets pulled in for a VP slot in 2016?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's actually really obvious that Booker is in love with a man.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

It's actually really obvious that Booker is in love with a man.

:rimshot:

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I really need to know the sexual orientations of various political figures for when I'm writing my 2016 fanfiction.

Speaking of: what are the odds that, assuming Booker wins the upcoming Senate election, he gets pulled in for a VP slot in 2016?

Which presidential candidates shortfalls would he bolster, and for whom.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Like that's ever stopped a fanfic writer.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Booker went to Stanford on a football scholarship, so while as with everything with Cory there's some PR at play, I don't think the idea of him as a "macho" dude generally is fictional.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
edit: nvm

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

foot posted:

Which presidential candidates shortfalls would he bolster, and for whom.

There's the really obvious one: he is black and none of the other prospective Democratic candidates are.

But I don't think VP picks made solely on appealing to a certain geographic or demographic group are a great idea. Also (this doesn't apply to Booker, obviously): never pick a first-term governor!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I'm going to say (having pulled this directly out of my rear end) that there is about a 40% chance he's gay. Though if that rumor is going to hurt his primary candidacy more than his awful economic policies will I'm all for it being spread.

Homophobia: OK if it's used against a neoliberal.

:fuckoff:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
To be honest, I doubt being gay will be a huge slash against a presidential candidate in like, 11 years anyway.

Cory Booker is probably straight. Who was the last single person running for president in a primary, anyway?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Ammat The Ankh posted:

:nws: http://hailtotheslash.com/ :nws:

Why do you make me link this?

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I guess it's good to see that you are what you hate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Homophobia: OK if it's used against a neoliberal.

:fuckoff:

Relax. The post was clearly tongue in cheek.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mcmagic posted:

It really wasn't clear bro. That said, I found this conversation illuminating. I had figured that the Booker hate was a combination of Crony bullshit and EmoProg whining and I was right.

Is the :goonsay: in the thread still that Senator Warren is too boring / North East liberal for a white house run? Honestly I'd almost rather have a solid progressive in the Senate for another thirty years anyway. We really need one.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
"EmoProg"? Sounds like an Erick Erickson hashtag.

jeffersonlives posted:

most of the gay rumors were originally Sharpe James plants.
This makes a great deal of sense.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

SombreroAgnew posted:

This makes a great deal of sense.

It went substantially beyond sexual orientation, but it's pretty easy for Booker to prove that Booker isn't white, isn't Jewish, and actually lives in Newark, and considerably harder to know his inner sexual thoughts.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

The tongue-in-cheekness was the opposite of clear. Especially when you went on to talk about how you wouldn't do it YOURSELF but you're totally fine with it!

So, you know. Not cool.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Rygar201 posted:

It really wasn't clear bro. That said, I found this conversation illuminating. I had figured that the Booker hate was a combination of Crony bullshit and EmoProg whining and I was right.

Is the :goonsay: in the thread still that Senator Warren is too boring / North East liberal for a white house run? Honestly I'd almost rather have a solid progressive in the Senate for another thirty years anyway. We really need one.

Warren also probably lacks the experience to do the job. A lot of people say she isn't ready to the national stage, and it kind of shows when you watch her speak.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

You're one of those people who thinks it's okay to call Rubio a filthy loving spic because you disagree with his policies, aren't you?

Edit: "It's just a joke, like on Top Gear" is a weak defense for petty bigotry.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 6, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

OK Rush.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rygar201 posted:

This post is all kinds of cognitive dissidence.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

This post is all kinds of cognitive dissidence.

Hey, you literally went all "ends justify the means" on exploiting local and national homophobia to impede a candidate because of his economic policies, walked it back a little, then realized you were still seen as reprehensible so you tried to pass it off as a joke, like on Top Gear.

Booker may very well be a center-left neoliberal, but you're willing to throw in with bigots and hatemongers and that's much, much worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Warszawa posted:

Hey, you literally went all "ends justify the means" on exploiting local and national homophobia to impede a candidate because of his economic policies, walked it back a little, then realized you were still seen as reprehensible so you tried to pass it off as a joke, like on Top Gear.

Booker may very well be a center-left neoliberal, but you're willing to throw in with bigots and hatemongers and that's much, much worse.

Listen, i might be guilty of in-artfully putting that post (even though I said I was talking out of my rear end) but that pales in comparison to:

"More senators should be like Liz Warren.... So I'm voting for CORY BOOKER"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Listen, i might be guilty of in-artfully putting that post (even though I said I was talking out of my rear end) but that pales in comparison to:

"More senators should be like Liz Warren.... So I'm voting for CORY BOOKER"

Why? Seems about right to me - good on some issues, terrible on others, they are pretty similar overall.

Or are you one of those idiots who believes Warren is Superliberal because she's mean to banks? (She isn't. Nice lady, but definitely a mainstream Democrat.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kalman posted:

Why? Seems about right to me - good on some issues, terrible on others, they are pretty similar overall.

Or are you one of those idiots who believes Warren is Superliberal because she's mean to banks? (She isn't. Nice lady, but definitely a mainstream Democrat.)

I'm not sure what "superliberal" means but she's vastly better than Booker on most issues that I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what "superliberal" means but she's vastly better than Booker on most issues that I care about.

None of which makes the post you quoted "full of cognitive dissonance," because (thankfully) not everyone thinks like you. Jeffersonlives posted a pretty good rundown of why Booker's positions are more ambiguous than you might think - there are regional and local politics at play.

• Locked thread