Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Isn't that more of a function of the 10 bit panel being used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

edit: another one I just saw is this Samsung plasma that's only $700. Whats the deal here, is it last year's model or something? Seems very cheap for a Samsung http://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-Class-1080p-600Hz-Plasma-HDTV-PN60F5300BFXZA.product.100110098.html#BVRRWidgetID

I can't speak to the size of the room but I just went through a similar search process and ended up with the Samsung Plasma. People said to watch out if you set it up in a bright room (due to reflections off the screen rather than brightness) but so far it's been incredible. A huge upgrade from my old LCD and we watch tv in the daytime regularly.

It is last years model but over all a fantastic TV. I would definitely recommend it. It's the Wirecutter's recommended step own TV and a total steal.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

SteveMcQueen posted:

I can't speak to the size of the room but I just went through a similar search process and ended up with the Samsung Plasma. People said to watch out if you set it up in a bright room (due to reflections off the screen rather than brightness) but so far it's been incredible. A huge upgrade from my old LCD and we watch tv in the daytime regularly.

It is last years model but over all a fantastic TV. I would definitely recommend it. It's the Wirecutter's recommended step own TV and a total steal.

Hm... The room I'm putting it in is going to be pretty bright. It's going to be opposite 2 windows. We do watch most of our TV at night though, so that might be fine. I'll take a look in-store if they still have it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

Isn't that more of a function of the 10 bit panel being used?

For HDR/dolby vision you need 10bit all the way through. The vizio R series will be the first one we know of that supports it.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Hm... The room I'm putting it in is going to be pretty bright. It's going to be opposite 2 windows. We do watch most of our TV at night though, so that might be fine. I'll take a look in-store if they still have it.

Mine is opposite two windows and adjacent to three more; I never notice any glare. It's a stellar TV.

Just be aware it takes a decent size car to get home!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

SteveMcQueen posted:

Mine is opposite two windows and adjacent to three more; I never notice any glare. It's a stellar TV.

Just be aware it takes a decent size car to get home!

Would a prius work? hah

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Would a prius work? hah

Probably. I got a 60" vizio in my mazda 3

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

I could not get the 60" plasma in my Fit but didn't try that hard or take it out of the box.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For nine years I've been using a 2005 model 42" Panasonic plasma that I really like and still works, but it's 480p, and I should probably have upgraded years ago to something a little bigger and capable of HD. I'm kind of kicking myself about not getting one of the Panasonic plasmas last year.

But at this point, what's left as a reasonably priced plasma with solid image quality and good reliability? I have fairly limited size options, it's got to be 46" - 51" to locate in the space I have available. Samsung has a 51", "5300" class that looks like a possibility but it looks to be a 2013 model. I see some posts above that like the 60" model of this.

I have lots of old A/V gear so things like lots of component inputs and analog stereo out would be nice but almost no mfgr provides those anymore so why am I even asking.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
OK, not sure if this goes here, but it didn't seem like there's any other good place to ask. I have a problem with getting two philips products to play along. A TV and a home theatre system. I've installed the latest update for the TV, there aren't any updates to the theatre system. I just want to play games on my TV and be able to shut off the terrible speakers it has.

I've connected my 47PFL5008T with my HTB3560, through the ARC connections with a high speed with ethernet HDMI cable. The connection is working, as I can enter set up on my TV screen. I have enabled easylink on both products, I have enabled the ARC connection in my TV's options menu. However, I cannot get the TV sound to play on the surround sound system. For some reason, the "map audio inputs" button in the setup menu for the surround sound speakers is greyed out. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix it so I can map audio inputs?

Alternatively, how do I connect a coaxial out with an optical digital in?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Number_6 posted:

For nine years I've been using a 2005 model 42" Panasonic plasma that I really like and still works, but it's 480p, and I should probably have upgraded years ago to something a little bigger and capable of HD. I'm kind of kicking myself about not getting one of the Panasonic plasmas last year.

But at this point, what's left as a reasonably priced plasma with solid image quality and good reliability? I have fairly limited size options, it's got to be 46" - 51" to locate in the space I have available. Samsung has a 51", "5300" class that looks like a possibility but it looks to be a 2013 model. I see some posts above that like the 60" model of this.

I have lots of old A/V gear so things like lots of component inputs and analog stereo out would be nice but almost no mfgr provides those anymore so why am I even asking.

I don't know your budget but Samsung's flagship 8500 is available in 51"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Number_6 posted:

A 480P Panasonic Plasma?? What model is that? I know they had EDTVs but never realized they had 42" Plasma EDTVs.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PWD8UK-42-Inch-Plasma-EDTV/dp/B000AMNZ6E

That is bonkers!!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BonoMan posted:

A 480P Panasonic Plasma?? What model is that? I know they had EDTVs but never realized they had 42" Plasma EDTVs.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PWD8UK-42-Inch-Plasma-EDTV/dp/B000AMNZ6E

That is bonkers!!

The very first flat panels were 42" EDTV plasmas in 1998.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Mine is this one:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TH-42PD50U?support
It has about 30,000 hours of use on it now and still looks good.

At the time (early 2005) you could buy it for approximately $2000, when the 720P version was about $2800. And when viewed from 10 feet away (my view distance) you had to look pretty closely to see the difference in picture quality. These ED Panasonics do a really good job downconverting HD. But there is some inevitable screen-door-effect at that res.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Don, are you still liking your Vizio? I'm so torn on what to do. I just wish some of the Black Friday sales would start leaking out so I would know if the Sony or Samsung models were going on sale At the same price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Don, are you still liking your Vizio? I'm so torn on what to do. I just wish some of the Black Friday sales would start leaking out so I would know if the Sony or Samsung models were going on sale At the same price.

Yes. Its a great tv so far. Black levels are excellent and 1080p content looks fantastic. The blacklist in 4k on netflix looks excellent.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just had a very strange experience trying to buy a Samsung 60" F5300. The sales guy at best buy told me it was a terrible, terrible TV, that it would break and Samsung wouldn't honor the warranty, that it was really dim and had horrible colors, and that they shouldn't still be selling plasmas at all, and it was enough to make me rethink getting a 60" 1080p Samsung plasma for $700, even though I'm pretty sure it's what I want for a large room that won't have the TV on with bright light in the room.

On top of that, I had to talk to someone to even see the picture on it at best buy, because while all the LCD TVs were playing video content they had all the plasma displaying a test pattern. I asked the sales guy and he said nobody cares about plasmas and they've been displaying a test pattern 24/7 for months now. What the heck is going on?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's actually right that they're stopping plasma production and warranty support will eventually be pretty difficult.

Probably not on the other stuff but I don't know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I just had a very strange experience trying to buy a Samsung 60" F5300. The sales guy at best buy told me it was a terrible, terrible TV, that it would break and Samsung wouldn't honor the warranty, that it was really dim and had horrible colors, and that they shouldn't still be selling plasmas at all, and it was enough to make me rethink getting a 60" 1080p Samsung plasma for $700, even though I'm pretty sure it's what I want for a large room that won't have the TV on with bright light in the room.

On top of that, I had to talk to someone to even see the picture on it at best buy, because while all the LCD TVs were playing video content they had all the plasma displaying a test pattern. I asked the sales guy and he said nobody cares about plasmas and they've been displaying a test pattern 24/7 for months now. What the heck is going on?

Find a friend with a costco membership. They have the F5350 for $650 or so. Its the 5300 but with a better light filter i think.

As far as warranty, yes if there is a panel problem they will probably refund your money, but for electronics they probably have parts for them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

Find a friend with a costco membership. They have the F5350 for $650 or so. Its the 5300 but with a better light filter i think.

As far as warranty, yes if there is a panel problem they will probably refund your money, but for electronics they probably have parts for them.

I have a Costco membership, I looked and didn't find samsung plasmas at my local warehouse. I checked online, and apparently it's out of stock at their online warehouses with no restock scheduled.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I have a Costco membership, I looked and didn't find samsung plasmas at my local warehouse. I checked online, and apparently it's out of stock at their online warehouses with no restock scheduled.

Yea, they are gone after they are gone.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Don, have you got 4k@60hz or 1080p@120hz working from a pc?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Don, have you got 4k@60hz or 1080p@120hz working from a pc?

No, my HTPC only has intel HD and i dunno if its even capable. As soon as a halfheight single slot hdmi 2.0 card comes out ill probably grab one. But people on avsforum have had both working with nvidia cards. Apparently there is no 4:4:4 in 4k/60hz though which shouldn't matter for video content.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What does the 4:4:4 bit indicate?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Short version: 4:4:4 means it actually calculates color for each pixel, rather than averaging 2 to 8 of them and assigning that hue to the lot. Brightness is accurate per-pixel regardless of that number, so long as it's 4:something and the panel isn't utter garbage.

DVD and Blu-Ray are generally encoded 4:2:2 (color is averaged across lateral pairs). Computer interfaces and video games are generally intended for 4:4:4. 4:2:2 takes considerably less processing power to render than 4:4:4.

Practical upshot: It's fine for movies, TV and consoles (at least through this generation), but not so much for computers.

Long answer: Google chroma subsampling.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Basically, unless you are using this for 4k pc desktop usage, it doesn't matter.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Short version: 4:4:4 means it actually calculates color for each pixel, rather than averaging 2 to 8 of them and assigning that hue to the lot. Brightness is accurate per-pixel regardless of that number, so long as it's 4:something and the panel isn't utter garbage.

DVD and Blu-Ray are generally encoded 4:2:2 (color is averaged across lateral pairs). Computer interfaces and video games are generally intended for 4:4:4. 4:2:2 takes considerably less processing power to render than 4:4:4.

Practical upshot: It's fine for movies, TV and consoles (at least through this generation), but not so much for computers.

Long answer: Google chroma subsampling.

And unless there is some amazing new compression algorithm or everyone gets gigabit ethernet I dont expect it to change for tv/movies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm planning to have it hooked up to a HTPC but that's mostly for movies so I'm hoping it shouldn't matter?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I'm planning to have it hooked up to a HTPC but that's mostly for movies so I'm hoping it shouldn't matter?

Yes, it wont matter if you are just using it for video.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is there much practical difference between the Vizio E and M series? Looking in the 55-60in range.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
If there's a way to get 4k@60hz out of the Vizio P-Series that doesn't involve HDMI2.0 I'd buy one asap. Unfortunately so far I haven't read any indication that you can do that and all I've seen is reports that the HDMI 1.4a ports won't even do 4k30 from a PC as they will restrict you to 1080p for some reason.

Any insights Don?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

w00tazn posted:

If there's a way to get 4k@60hz out of the Vizio P-Series that doesn't involve HDMI2.0 I'd buy one asap. Unfortunately so far I haven't read any indication that you can do that and all I've seen is reports that the HDMI 1.4a ports won't even do 4k30 from a PC as they will restrict you to 1080p for some reason.

Any insights Don?

I could have sworn i saw someone on avsforum with a 6 or 7 series do 4k/60hz on hdmi 5.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Yeah, I saw someone with a 770 verify that, and there's definitely a guy with a 980 that can. It seems to show that it can do 4k60hz.

What the avs forum people seem to be flipping out about is that hdcp 2.2 is limiting the ability to do 4k60 at full 4:4:4. You might not even notice that it's doing that.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1689258-official-2014-vizio-p-series-owner-s-thread-70.html#post27770905

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Next-Gen posted:

Yeah, I saw someone with a 770 verify that, and there's definitely a guy with a 980 that can. It seems to show that it can do 4k60hz.

What the avs forum people seem to be flipping out about is that hdcp 2.2 is limiting the ability to do 4k60 at full 4:4:4. You might not even notice that it's doing that.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1689258-official-2014-vizio-p-series-owner-s-thread-70.html#post27770905

Yea, 4:4:4 should only be an issue if you are trying to use it as a pc monitor @ 4k/60hz (like an actual pc monitor, not xbmc)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm confused where they concluded it's due to HDCP? And... What's this deal about different panel types?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I'm confused where they concluded it's due to HDCP? And... What's this deal about different panel types?

I don't think there is an hdcp2.2 supporting chip set that supports 4:4:4 as well. The LG TVs have hdcp2.2 ports and non hdcp ports. Their hdcp ports also are not 4:4:4.

For panel types it appears all but the 55" are va panels. The 55" is IPS. Via is preferred unless you need wide view angles.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What does content protection have to do with the inability to display 4:4:4 colors? This also seems a little backwards compared to typical PC monitors where it's always better to have IPS over VA or TN - correct?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

What does content protection have to do with the inability to display 4:4:4 colors? This also seems a little backwards compared to typical PC monitors where it's always better to have IPS over VA or TN - correct?

There is only one chip that provides HDCP2.2 and it does not support 4:4:4.

On TV's VA panels provide 4x+ native contrast over IPS. and IPS tv is gonna have around 1000:1 contrast ratio. A VA tv like the P series will have 4500:1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IPS -> Better Viewing Angles
VA -> Better black levels

Usually the latter is preferred for a TV due to the higher native contrast.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

For panel types it appears all but the 55" are va panels. The 55" is IPS. Via is preferred unless you need wide view angles.
How wide are we talking about? I'm thinking about replacing my (7 year?) old 50" Panasonic plasma with one of these new-fangled 60" Vizios, but I'm a little out of touch with TV technology. I would say I regularly sit maybe 45 degrees off dead center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

tk posted:

How wide are we talking about? I'm thinking about replacing my (7 year?) old 50" Panasonic plasma with one of these new-fangled 60" Vizios, but I'm a little out of touch with TV technology. I would say I regularly sit maybe 45 degrees off dead center.

Off-axis viewing angles is one of the few things I think you're able to get a good idea of in Best Buy, for what that's worth.