Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NowonSA posted:

Nakiri's sushi box is the best dish ever shown in the manga, really just remarkable variety and presentation. It really proves that the scientific approach to cooking isn't just overthinking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dammit Zepia, I specifically didn't type Nakiri's box to avoid that type of nonsense. :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Nakiri's sushi box is the best dish ever shown in the manga, really just remarkable variety and presentation. It really proves that the scientific approach to cooking isn't just overthinking things.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay after seeing it in color Yukihira's chicken wing dish does look pretty drat tasty. I was never crazy about Eizan's poached chicken anyway.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

Okay after seeing it in color Yukihira's chicken wing dish does look pretty drat tasty. I was never crazy about Eizan's poached chicken anyway.

Eizan's dish isn't really that special either and it's really quite funny that the judges are treating it as some super gourmet meal when it's just as commonplace as Soma's gyoza. It's just Hainan chicken and one can find it a bunch of different restaurants in most major cities making it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furious Lobster posted:

Eizan's dish isn't really that special either and it's really quite funny that the judges are treating it as some super gourmet meal when it's just as commonplace as Soma's gyoza. It's just Hainan chicken and one can find it a bunch of different restaurants in most major cities making it.

Yeah but it's made by an Elite 10.
Bet the Hainan chicken in those restaurants aren't made by a fuckin' Elite 10 who's sole accomplishment is winning via bribery and losing to a non Elite 10.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah but it's made by an Elite 10.
Bet the Hainan chicken in those restaurants aren't made by a fuckin' Elite 10 who's sole accomplishment is winning via bribery and losing to a non Elite 10.

You're forgetting all those amazing faces he made as well. Which were a significant accomplishment in my boojk.

Anyway, over the course of like 5 chapters Eizan became my favourite character and you should not insult him. :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're forgetting all those amazing faces he made as well. Which were a significant accomplishment in my boojk.

Anyway, over the course of like 5 chapters Eizan became my favourite character and you should not insult him. :colbert:

Insulting him is what gets him to eizanface so you're kind of sending mixed messages here

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

pandaK posted:

Insulting him is what gets him to eizanface so you're kind of sending mixed messages here

I dunno. We do have that face he made when he announced that the school was gonna close down the Polar Star Dorm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

I think it's implied that if you cook meat perfectly it makes it vastly better. So even if the dish is simple, because Eizan cooked it for 11 minutes and 20 seconds instead of 11 minutes and 30 seconds he has brought out its true flavor (or something).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's implied that if you cook meat perfectly it makes it vastly better. So even if the dish is simple, because Eizan cooked it for 11 minutes and 20 seconds instead of 11 minutes and 30 seconds he has brought out its true flavor (or something).

I think the point of Nikumi's arc was pointing out that doing something uninteresting perfectly isn't enough to win a shokugeki against a talented opponent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pandaK posted:

You are only allowed to insult him if you then post an image of one of his faces as a reaction to the insult. :colbert:

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the point of Nikumi's arc was pointing out that doing something uninteresting perfectly isn't enough to win a shokugeki against a talented opponent.

I thought Nikumi's arc was that using the best quality ingredients weren't the only thing important to a dish and that you need to really think about whether every part of your recipe goes together perfectly. Like she used A grade meat and rice for her don but they conflicted with each other and left the judges feeling full before finishing their meal which was the antithesis of what a don should be or whatever.

Eizan's problem was honestly almost the opposite. He made a dish which supposedly brought out the full flavour of the chicken and was perfect for showing off it's uniqueness and it's strength as an ingredient. But Soma was able to do the same in a manner that was more innovative and complex so he got the win for breaking with tradition and showing there exists more than one way to bring out the best essence of chicken. Or something along those lines

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think it's just the lack of creativity. Soma had time to think over his dish, made some unique adjustments and blew the judges away with it.
Eizan probably didn't expect to have to cook in the first place. So because he was caught off guard. He just decided to make the "technically" best dish he could make given the circumstances.

We know he's capable of cooking much better than this, so it should be interesting if this is the same kind of wake up call Shinomiya got way back during the camping trip.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New chapter.
http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/148/3129/1

Seems you guys got it right. Souma said as much. :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am glad they finally showed why Isshiki wasn't stepping in to help, that has been bugging me this whole arc. Dude just had 100% faith in Souma.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Do you see how much work he has to do? That's a giant stack of paperwork to get through and they're printing it all on A2 paper.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Souma doing an Alice face. :3:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm guessing a subplot is coming where due to the influence of the shojo manga Erina erroneously comes to believe Hishoko has a crush on Soma due to the fact that they wouldn't explain the nature of their friendship when she asked.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm guessing a subplot is coming where due to the influence of the shojo manga Erina erroneously comes to believe Hishoko has a crush on Soma due to the fact that they wouldn't explain the nature of their friendship when she asked.

This sounds like something out of Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, which I'm okay with.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad Isshiki's absence was explained because I was disappointed he didn't do anything this arc. I just really want to see Naked Apron Senpai cut loose and show his true power. I'm also still surprised about how much i'm interested in seeing more of the Elite 10 most of the remaining guys haven't done much but I still want to know what their deal is and learn more about them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Soma is the Seo to Erina's Wakamatsu.

Okay I'm stretching but the shoujo manga thing reminded me of Waka.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wark Say posted:

This sounds like something out of Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, which I'm okay with.

Still waiting for that Crossover.

You know Souma would be down for the Russian Chou.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am glad Isshiki's absence was explained because I was disappointed he didn't do anything this arc. I just really want to see Naked Apron Senpai cut loose and show his true power. I'm also still surprised about how much i'm interested in seeing more of the Elite 10 most of the remaining guys haven't done much but I still want to know what their deal is and learn more about them.

Isshiki was confident Soma would march in with no plan and somehow this would work. Checks out.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe he knows he's in a shounen manga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Isshiki was confident Soma would march in with no plan and somehow this would work. Checks out.

Look Isshiki knew Soma had the stronger conviction and the more correct ideals so of course he'd win. It's only logical.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should have had one of the dorm members get hit in the head with one of hired thugs' pipes and suffer brain damage, causing Isshiki to curse his foolish inaction and fall into a deep depression.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How about no.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Soma is the Seo to Erina's Wakamatsu.

Okay I'm stretching but the shoujo manga thing reminded me of Waka.

Soma wishes he was as good as Seo. Also please dont insult Waka that way.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

KoB posted:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KoB posted:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

KoB posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chapters out.

http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/149/3146/1

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

God Mangastream is so poo poo.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Heeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Come on, we all thought that :colbert:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

i was actually creeped out when i turned the page to the azami face

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soma is trying very hard to emulate Alice with a few of those faces he's pulling but he's not quite there. I appreciate the effort though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man tosh is really having a ball drawing the antagonists' faces.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Not even horror mangas can jump scare me that bad

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hisako sure makes some great faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not even that rear end in a top hat creep would spoil me from the joy of the one and only NAKED APRON SENPAI. MANASS INCLUDED TOO :blush: