Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like that the first credits image after they reveal Sully's new plane is a crashed plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad to see the end of Uncharted 3. One thing I have to ask, have you and Snark recorded the multiplayer matches yet? Also I kinda hope next LP you bring back the retsupuraes, since I didn't notice until now the last video you put up on the channel was all the way back in September.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Great LP as always guys, thanks.

This series has the best throwaway art.

(I'm guessing it's also part of a MP map?)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like that the first credits image after they reveal Sully's new plane is a crashed plane.

I came here to point that out :v:

And now we wait for Uncharted 4, I guess.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Does anyone know where that music was for the chase scene at the start of the Proto-Buddha vid? Both of the chases that is before and after the TRIP of the century that is cuz that was just making me fly like nothing else with my ear.

Seriously that was some gorgeous music at work there for the start of it. That was an amazing goddamn video, I did not expect the game to step it up a notch in that direction but man am I glad it did. That was a fan-loving-tastic LP guys. Thank you so much for bringing me the pleasure of the Uncharted series :allears: god that last loving bit was truly tremendous.

SO, I remember you guys had another LP in mind of a certain LEGEND as it were? When's that coming up?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

smenj posted:

Another part where this happened that really disappointed me personally was the scene where Marlowe accuses Drake of changing his name, perhaps not being a Drake at all. Would've been a great direction to go in, and would've fit the game's subtitle much better. Alas, nothing much came of it in the end. Maybe in Uncharted 4...

"Nothing much came of it in the end" is the glaring weakness of Uncharted 3. Cutter, Talbot, Drake's fake past, the ship graveyard. All stuff that ended abruptly or didn't pay off later.

Still, I liked Uncharted 3 and will likely buy Uncharted 4. Although with the subtitle "A Thief's End", I wonder if they're planning on killing Drake off. I don't think I'd like that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Meh, kind of a lame ending. Whatever, everyone's happy except for the woman who drowns in sand and that douchebag.

This is now the second Uncharted game where the bad guy's second in command becomes the final boss. It looks better than the other final bosses, reminds me a lot of the Vita one--which itself was a lengthy QTE, so this one looks a lot more fun.

If it was so drat easy to blow up the whole city why the gently caress didn't the ancient people just do that in the first place? What the gently caress were those spiders, were they just...a hitherto unexplained and undiscovered species of FRENCH murder spiders, or did Francis Drake have spider armies that he bred in secret or

Meh.

Your next LP, Chip, is going to be wonderful, I can't wait.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So will Wonderful 101 be running at the same time as the uncharted 3 multiplayer stuff, or are you finishing the multiplayer first?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
It'll start after the multiplayer videos are finished because I still have more work to do with setting up a backlog of updates for The Wonderful 101.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Why did they want the hallucinogenic compound in this ancient ruin? They already have hallucinogenic compounds! They've been using them all game!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What you guys said about the setpieces and presentation of the game, and how that makes up for the prevalence of shootmans as the majority of the gameplay, kinda got me thinking.

This really is the most movie-like game I've seen.

It doesn't try to be a movie like Heavy Rain et al, but its reliance on and competence at presenting really excellent setpieces makes it hit the same notes as a good movie.

The game feels like a collection of scenes, both from level to level and also within levels, and all the scenes are really well put together and flow from one to the next really nicely.

It's a game that really feels like it had a director behind it, if games want to be more like movies, I think this is the way to go, or at least the best one I've seen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Why did they want the hallucinogenic compound in this ancient ruin? They already have hallucinogenic compounds! They've been using them all game!

I think you're supposed to assume that that stuff is in fact the same as the stuff in the ruins. What you aren't supposed to do is think about how that works (because it doesn't).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Man oh man, I am looking forward to the Wonderful 101! I love that game to death, but I'm not too good at it. It'll be fun to watch someone halfway competent playing it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You were right Chip; that guy with the RPG was looking at his RPG in confusion and scratching his head when you shot him.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Okay I have...no idea at all what Wonderful 101 is like but I was actually wondering...

Are you still planning to do Mega Man Legends 2 in future Chip?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Nihilarian posted:

Maybe there's actually a jinn inside the bottle with utility unrelated to the fact that the water it's submerged in becomes hallucinogenic?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I figured they wanted the jar because it produces a stronger hallucinogenic. Talbot nails Drake with a mainline dose of their current formula, and all it does is make Drake stumble away through crowds of people for a while. He drinks a sample of the real deal though, and it ends up being far more potent.

Who knows why they want it, but it's definitely stronger than what they already have. I think it seems like natural badguy protocol to secure the more powerful stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

I'm imagining that they had like, a little bit of the hallucinogen that they used to make their darts. Finding Iram of the Pillars was about tracking down the source of the drug so they could use it to control anyone they wanted with a nigh-unlimited source of fear juice.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!
Wait Sully really didn't die? The entire game led up to that scene...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
On the one hand, Sully not being dead sort of wrecked with the dramatic throughline of the game. On the other hand, SULLY SHOULD NEVER EVER DIE. :colbert:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You know, i kinda felt like it was more of a twist that Sully survived, considering the constant and obvious foreshadowing of his death. I played pretty much everything past meeting Elena in this game waiting for Sully to die, and was more surprised that he was alive rather than dead.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
I was thanked in the credits!!! :swoon: (I drew the rad 90s kid Drake picture.)

My feelings on Uncharted 3 are that it was SUPER loving RAD and looked really fun to play and had amazing set pieces. It also mixed it up a lot so that it wasn't just Drake going from location to location shooting guys, rinse and repeat. And of course, the characters sparkled. I wish Cutter had stayed in, but whatcha gonna do? Uncharted 2 was excellent in a more cinematic sense, but 3 screws with your head in a way that only video games can. I really admire that. The pacing was wonky, but a game doesn't need perfect pacing to be great. Uncharted 3 more than made up for pacing stumbles with what it did amazingly well.

Looking forward to Uncharted 4 and C&I's inevitable LP of it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I agree, the game hints and Sully dying for most of the game, with Elena saying stuff like "He'd do anything for you, and you're being reckless and getting in over your head". Plus if Sully did die from Drake's adventuring it would kind of kill the series, as Drake wouldn't be all excited to hunt for treasure after it led to the death of his father figure.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Quiet Python posted:

"Nothing much came of it in the end" is the glaring weakness of Uncharted 3. Cutter, Talbot, Drake's fake past, the ship graveyard. All stuff that ended abruptly or didn't pay off later.

Still, I liked Uncharted 3 and will likely buy Uncharted 4. Although with the subtitle "A Thief's End", I wonder if they're planning on killing Drake off. I don't think I'd like that.

Uncharted 4 trailer-based speculation: I think the thief in question is going to be from the past, simply because of the calligraphy and the ink splatters. I don't think they'd do that to imply Nate dying.

As far as UC3 goes, it is definitely on the whole weaker than UC2, while also feeling way too similar. Somebody pointed out the "starting with a flashback, then going into an extreme temperature and passing out, being saved by a native" thing, but I also hated how the Drake/Elena relationship drama was essentially EXACTLY the same as UC2. It just kind of felt like the writers wanted more relationship drama but didn't want to involve a new female character so they just reset things back to a similar situation as UC2 to hit the same kind of "awww they really do like each other" note.

Maybe that's just me though.

Excellent LP, as usual Chip and Ironicus, and maybe I should find time to watch the stuff you've done besides Uncharted and a few of the MGS games.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Grinnblade posted:

Uncharted 4 trailer-based speculation: I think the thief in question is going to be from the past, simply because of the calligraphy and the ink splatters. I don't think they'd do that to imply Nate dying.

As far as UC3 goes, it is definitely on the whole weaker than UC2, while also feeling way too similar. Somebody pointed out the "starting with a flashback, then going into an extreme temperature and passing out, being saved by a native" thing, but I also hated how the Drake/Elena relationship drama was essentially EXACTLY the same as UC2. It just kind of felt like the writers wanted more relationship drama but didn't want to involve a new female character so they just reset things back to a similar situation as UC2 to hit the same kind of "awww they really do like each other" note.

Maybe that's just me though.

Excellent LP, as usual Chip and Ironicus, and maybe I should find time to watch the stuff you've done besides Uncharted and a few of the MGS games.

You don't need to put speculation into spoiler tags. Especially for a game that hasn't even been released yet.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Okay, what was up with Sully's ring at the very end? I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I believe it was Nathan and Elena's old wedding ring.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

E4C85D38 posted:

Okay, what was up with Sully's ring at the very end? I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.

Drake and Elena got married after the second game, then broke up sometime before the third game started. The ring is Nate's wedding ring.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

bobjr posted:

I agree, the game hints and Sully dying for most of the game, with Elena saying stuff like "He'd do anything for you, and you're being reckless and getting in over your head". Plus if Sully did die from Drake's adventuring it would kind of kill the series, as Drake wouldn't be all excited to hunt for treasure after it led to the death of his father figure.

Yea if Drake actually did lead Sully to his death that would be kind of unforgivable, considering the characters warn him of doing exactly that the entire game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sully dying would definitely be better for the story, but would anyone really want to play an Uncharted 4 without him?

I felt the ending comes on a little too quickly in this one pacing wise, but honestly, I think a part of that may be because the trophy notification for beating that guy and completing (I forgot his name suddenly) comes up really quickly afterwards.

I'm glad Wonderful 101 is next up. I love me some Hideki Kamiya but I can't afford a Wii U, and I definitely won't be buying a Bone for Scalebound.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mantis42 posted:

Yea if Drake actually did lead Sully to his death that would be kind of unforgivable, considering the characters warn him of doing exactly that the entire game.

It would be unforgivable because Sully dying would mean no more Sully and there is no situation that is not improved by Sully. (See final video remarks about how Nate destroyed Iram of the Pillars with 3 bullets.)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I don't wish Sully had died, I just wish the story didn't lead into him dying so naturally that him not dying feels weird and out of place.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
But he did die, and in a perfectly plausible way. It's not thematic timing's fault that Drake had just finished drinking the most powerful hallucinogenic known to man.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
It's a bit of a shame that Uncharted 3's big theme was 'you shouldn't be dragging this old man to these anymore, he will die'. Then at the end Drake thinks Sully really did die, and presumably learns his lesson that it's not worth the risk...

...Then the uncharted 4 trailer is him asking Sully to come on another one!

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
The game seemed to write itself into a corner. It heavily implied Sully would die, and the story kinda needed him to die to prove a point to Drake.

But nothing can kill Victor Sullivan. Ever.

It just kinda leaves the ending hollow, even with the awesome looking escape. Still more entertaining than the majority of action games available, though.

Great LP, as usual. Thanks. Can't wait for Wonderful 101.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Calling it now, Uncharted 4 is gonna make good on the We Will Kill Sully promise, the foreshadowing in this game was ACTUALLY just supposed to be the setup for that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I still can't decide which is more stupid - the twist in this game, or the Vita one. Then again the Vita game is worse in every possible way, and also interrupts gameplay every 15 seconds to show you the neat card you just unlocked! (the cards are used in a separate card game you'll never play anyway). All of the characters are also completely insufferable, except Sully, who singlehandedly made me put in the effort to actually finish the thing. Also, the two bosses are fought in instant-death QTE sequences that feel like they NEVER END.

So out of four Uncharted games I only enjoyed two. I'm still kind of curious about UC4, but it's not going to be a day 1 purchase.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Renoistic posted:

I still can't decide which is more stupid - the twist in this game, or the Vita one. Then again the Vita game is worse in every possible way, and also interrupts gameplay every 15 seconds to show you the neat card you just unlocked! (the cards are used in a separate card game you'll never play anyway). All of the characters are also completely insufferable, except Sully, who singlehandedly made me put in the effort to actually finish the thing. Also, the two bosses are fought in instant-death QTE sequences that feel like they NEVER END.

So out of four Uncharted games I only enjoyed two. I'm still kind of curious about UC4, but it's not going to be a day 1 purchase.

That game sounds horrible and I'm glad I've never seen or played it. I still enjoy the series enough to look forward to a new one, even if the luster has worn off a little.

As mentioned in the video, though, the departure of some of the writing staff is worrisome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I sorta knew something was up when the mysterious djinn-soldier hybrid things started popping up. Either that or Naughty Dog forgot all about pacing and proper storytelling and just threw in some magical fireball-hurling teleporters without any real mention of where the gently caress they came from, which would really help the general opinion that the game's overall pacing is sort of borked. I dunno what to think of the 'twist' being that there was nothing supernatural, as it would have been cool to see how they'd interpret a djinn. Not like they haven't already had magical zombie dust in a sarcophagus and blue ooze turning people into even more blue roid apes.

I just realized, all three games have involved people ingesting some sort of spooky substance.

UNCHARTED 5: SULLY DRINKS THE OLD BOOZE IN HIS DEAD GRANDFATHER'S LIQUOR CABINET OUT AT THE ABANDONED FAMILY FARM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Arkevillain posted:

That game sounds horrible and I'm glad I've never seen or played it. I still enjoy the series enough to look forward to a new one, even if the luster has worn off a little.

As mentioned in the video, though, the departure of some of the writing staff is worrisome.

I will give the Vita game this - you can aim by moving the Vita around which works perfectly and feels really intuitive. Makes sniping a cakewalk. Too bad most of the game is spent rubbing the screen to brush off dirt or similar braindead activities. Hopefully UC4 won't misuse the new PS4 gimmicks too much.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 15, 2014

• Locked thread