Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

with the fuckin spare fuses inside :thurman:

...and it is noticed that this is not my first rodeo :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So are there any inexpensive tools or techniques to track down random RF interference? I've still been playing around with my SDR a bunch on a laptop wandering around with the short antenna trying to find better places to pick up repeater signals, and my house seems to be a morass of interference. I was reading something in the technician study guide about building directional rf sensors or something for doing "hunts" and I think that might be what I want but honestly am so new it's all very greek.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. Direction finding ("RDF" or "DF") is a big, I guess you'd call it a side hobby? Focus?

There are several ways to do it, you can build boxes that will give you a Doppler tone, you can build directional loop antennas to null it out (you don't look for the peak and walk towards it, you look for the null, as antennas have sharper 'dead spots' than they do 'hot spots'), all sorts of things.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
what kinda cable should i buy on ebay to hack up to interface my 735 w/ my usb soundcard thing? that's all i need to do psk31 and stuff right?

is this worth picking up too?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
so who's doing what for field day tomorrow?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

so who's doing what for field day tomorrow?

i'm making beer brats to bring to grill up at the field day tomorrow for lunch - they are bringing burgs so i figured brats would go well with

holy poo poo look at that fond

time to simmer for a while!

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So are there any inexpensive tools or techniques to track down random RF interference? I've still been playing around with my SDR a bunch on a laptop wandering around with the short antenna trying to find better places to pick up repeater signals, and my house seems to be a morass of interference. I was reading something in the technician study guide about building directional rf sensors or something for doing "hunts" and I think that might be what I want but honestly am so new it's all very greek.

a thing to remember is that a lot of that noise is internal noise on the RTLSDRs especially. good test is to unplug the antenna and see if that signal is still there.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Finally got around to picking up a handheld.

I splurged and grabbed a TH-D72 because hooray TNCs, now to start attempting to decipher the manual

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I did a thing (in progress)

it comes out to 2 power poles. I gotta put tape on the terminals or smth before I put the top back on and also figure out something to fill the space where the bad battery should go

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

I guess you'd call it a side hobby? Focus?

"kink"

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
how do i make the ham radio equivalent of a blotto box

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Beast of Bourbon posted:

how do i make the ham radio equivalent of a blotto box

hug a trucker

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

I did a thing (in progress)

it comes out to 2 power poles. I gotta put tape on the terminals or smth before I put the top back on and also figure out something to fill the space where the bad battery should go

Tape can get damaged i'd glue a strip of plastic on the lid to insulate it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
got my 20m tuned up. 1.5 or less across the band. dips down to 1.1 at like 14.2 iirc. good group of guys.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
boom. nice man. i hope you have a shitload of fun today.

i realized the other day why the 735 imprinted on me - i've only been to one other field day, about 22 years ago, and when I rolled up, the first station I saw was a 20m SSB position with the guy running a 735.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ham fest status: oof i am beat

hot and sunny and finished lugging all my poo poo back upstairs here - time for a beer

my brats, batteries and solar were a hit + jonny's rig on 6m for the very few times it opened

serious tho the brats disappeared in like 60 seconds after i walked away from the grill, onions too, super hit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a very good day. I had more fun today than I did at my first and only other Field Day, which by my best estimation was 1994 at the top of the biggest solar cycle with a pro club that had Ten-Tecs and big rigs

Thanks for dragging me out Sniep, met a lot of nice fellas and ate one hella dank brat

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
hell yea

fun as hell and now im beat and its time for a beer

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm thinking about heading back out for nighttime fun after the wife goes to bed. I cut out around 3 or so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that afternoon heat wipeout is field day tradition. it sucks

we avoided by just having like an 8h field day op. i dont think theyre still operating. we showed up right at the stroke of noon, threw up the 6m around 2:30 or 3, bailed around 5:30 i think?

next time i will be so prepared, oh my gosh i had the best fuckin time and didnt want to go home, but everybody was pretty played out

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah i think the timing was just fine for me, glad to be home

also good to know my solar/battery setup is fuckin' solid

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 28, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fun battery mod: put a little styrofoam block with a beer-shaped cutout behind a door, add peltier cooler

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
electrons served at 31 degrees

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I didn't go back :/

I'm probably gonna climb on the roof next week to set everything up. gonna drill a hole in that top rail and send an eye bolt thru it I think. need some line too, HD only had bright blue stuff. paracord, kinda lovely tbh. makes
me want to get a soldering *gun* too, and a rope cutting tip. maybe I'll look @ west marine, but most of their stuff is gonna be bright and also too heavy. spectra line is big w/ the sailing crowd.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I think I'm gonna check in to tonight's net on my baofeng from the pool-- "KG5*** turtle floatie mobile"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody on the net tonight is giving me 57, 59 "big audio" reports

its the monday night 2 meter ssb net and it owns

also one guy checked in with CW, so rad, i couldnt copy but they just worked him cross-mode like a champ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
MORE ALUMINUM FOR THE ALUMINUM GOD

The plans:

6m: http://www.g0ksc.co.uk/3el-19mtr-boom-lfa.html

2m: http://www.g0ksc.co.uk/6el-144mhz-ln-lfa.html

With some leftovers to maybe make a 6m 5/8 wave or something like that. Or build sniep a nice 1/4 wave ground plane for his packet station or something.

All I'll need to pick up are two 1" square aluminum 8 footers from Lowe's for the booms, some plastic cutting boards (they are used WIDELY for insulators and standoffs in homebrew radio stuff), hardware and we'll be good. Total cost should be right at $100 for both yagis; a lovely 3 element 6m yagi runs about 100-120 and the 2m ones are even more expensive, 150 or so (yagi element length costs almost nothing; yagi element number costs a lot due to mounting hardware). And these are specifically built to minimize back lobes and sky noise, which is what ruins your S/n ratio especially on 6m.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
got my dipole up. tree location made it kinda v shaped I want a 6m transverter cause of all ur hijinks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what're some other-than-APRS applications for a bunch of Motorola Saber I HTs if it turns out I can reprogram them onto 2m

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
735 is a primo transverter driver, it has a control wire in one of the DIN plugs, if you short it or give it +8v (I forget which) it puts the radio in transverter mode and bypasses the finals and shits out a couple milliwatts instead of 100w

e: this guy is generating a lot of buzz and reports indicate these boards are made very well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-to-28-MH...=item33a3fdda4f plus a case and a couple of jacks, you've got 10 watts of 6m for a hundred bucks. unbeatable really

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is this the right accessory connector?

for psk31 and such. with the cm108 dongle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah tahts acc1

go ahead and pick up a 7pin for acc2 just so you have it if needed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what do yall do about lightning with one of these things, or are they only up temporarily

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unhook the antenna feedline

if it's a direct strike your antenna's hosed anyways. best you can do is save your radios

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

735 is a primo transverter driver, it has a control wire in one of the DIN plugs, if you short it or give it +8v (I forget which) it puts the radio in transverter mode and bypasses the finals and shits out a couple milliwatts instead of 100w

e: this guy is generating a lot of buzz and reports indicate these boards are made very well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-to-28-MH...=item33a3fdda4f plus a case and a couple of jacks, you've got 10 watts of 6m for a hundred bucks. unbeatable really

yeah this is the exact one I was looking at. maybe for Christmas, lol. I have plenty of hf stuff to play with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so you got the 20 dipole working all right?

we might have to try a sked here pretty soon.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm 80 years old and I've had a couple of strokes and can't ride a motorcycle anymore

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
these 2 guys ragchewing one is 59 into me from IL i dont wanna jump on their QSO tho

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
he has a license for a 3 wheel tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yikes wrong thread

thanks awful app

• Locked thread