Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

princess auto has a pocket thermometer on clearance for $7 that seems to put out the same numbers as my "hunnert dollar" mastercraft one.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/compact-infrared-thermometer/A-p8568750e

At the London location in Ontario they had a larger gun type one on clearance for $12 as well which I picked up. I have no use for it but gently caress, $12. I went in to buy some splices and shrink wrap and walked out with a basket full of POWERFIST. Princess Auto is a dangerous place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

This took more tries than it should have, because it's really hard to find small eye screws that aren't made of dip grade cheese.

Ecoboost keychain!

If you ever want to make that stick out less, I'm sure we could tap the hole and make a custom threaded eyelet that would work pretty well.

Regardless, that is an a-1 cool keychain.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

Princess Auto is a dangerous place.

Yes it is. I've recently come to discover another dangerous retailer; Hendrix Equipment. It's Princess Auto for cooks basically.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kitchen supply stores and my wallet do not get along.

See also: kms tools, quality tools, peavey mart

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Peavey Mart is how you leave with more money in tools than the car you came in is worth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slung Blade posted:

Kitchen supply stores and my wallet do not get along.

See also: kms tools, quality tools, peavey mart
Oh god, my wife is going to kill me if I come home with another kitchen gadget. Amazon is also really dangerous for kitchen stuff too.

I also discovered the obvious last week that just because a thermometer is mechanical and dishwasher safe, that doesn't automatically mean it is oven safe :saddowns:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Oh god, my wife is going to kill me if I come home with another kitchen gadget. Amazon is also really dangerous for kitchen stuff too.

I also discovered the obvious last week that just because a thermometer is mechanical and dishwasher safe, that doesn't automatically mean it is oven safe :saddowns:

Maverick or go home!

Edit: Wait, if you're in the kitchen, you're home. Maverick or go to the garage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So buddy that lowballed me on the Jeep, I ignored for 48 hours. minutes before anther buyer showed up he called and said he'd take it for full asking price. Boohoo goodbye Jeep.

Hrmmmmmmm http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Volt-Base-Hatchback-4-Door-/281864305087?hash=item41a06bf9bf:g:064AAOSwu-BWO980

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I get you want a Volt, you've mentioned it a couple of times now, but why do you actually want to spend $20K on a 4 year old Chevy that isn't a vette and will probably be an pain in the rear end/expensive to work on as it gets older?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If I wanted a cheap GM EV I'd wait a little longer for a used ELR. Those things are going to depreciate like they're on fire, and it's about the same car but less unfortunate looking and with a much nicer cabin.
Also this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody has to buy them new for any to hit the used market.

So far, only about 70 have been sold in canada in 2 years on sale. less than 2,000 overall.

It seems like the kind of car canadian dealers will let rot on the back corner of the lot with a $80,000 price tag in the window.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-truck-stolen-twice-thieves-dont-get-far-1.3338178

quote:

Police say a Calgary man's truck was stolen twice in the span of one morning, but the thieves never made it off his snowy suburban block in either attempt to get away.

The Ford F350 was first broken into in the early hours of Tuesday morning in the southeast community of Cranston.

But police said the suspects only managed to drive "a few feet" before crashing into a parked vehicle, abandoning their effort and fleeing on foot.

The truck's owner discovered his damaged vehicle, still running, with a broken ignition that prevented him from shutting it off.

He called police and waited inside the warmth of his home for officers to arrive.

That's when a woman climbed into the still running truck and began to drive away.

The man saw this from his window and began to chase after his again-stolen vehicle, only to see this latest thief also lose control on the wintry roadway, spin out, and get stuck on a neighbour's driveway.

The woman fled on foot but police arrested a suspect matching her description a short while later.

Police said it's unknown if the second theft was connected to the first theft or if the second suspect just happened upon the running vehicle.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's Alberta as gently caress.

Also, very depressing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

People looooooooove stealing f250s and 350s.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't even know the ELR existed.

Here is a 2 door coupe sitting at $21,000 right now. 7000 miles, rebuilt title but doesn't mention why, states "no damage"

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cadillac-Other-2dr-Cpe-/172010426426?hash=item280c9ed03a:g:zvIAAOSw7FRWVjVp

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

This 2014 ELR has a Michigan Rebuilt Title but has never been in an accident and was never enduranced tested. This vehicle was part of GM demo program, where it was on display at a museum for a part of its life and also driven by GM managment. You are viewing this ELR exactly the way I purchased it. It is 100% perfect, no scratches, no dings, no dents, and it's super clean inside and out! Why the rebuilt title you might ask? From what i've been told, GM does not want any liability issues with employee driven vehicles or show vehicles. So hence the salvage title, it makes sure who ever purchases it knows it was part of the GM demo program.

bulllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

bulllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

LoL I missed that. WTF kind of story is that ??? Of course other than a replaced interior due to flood damage I am a wizard at spotting signs of a rebuild. It is a pretty cool car but 21k and no warranty...

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Can anyone recommend a shop in Calgary?

I'm having major troubles with my current vehicle (2003 Chrysler Concorde beater), and am really inept when it comes to car stuff. I have been saving and planning to purchase a decent replacement, but my car really poo poo the bed this afternoon-- there's a violent cranking sound emanating from the front axle. I don't want to rush into a decision, and really don't have a huge budget, so I need my Chrysler to last while I try to scrounge up some more funds, start scouring kijij, etc.

Any help?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My buddy works at McCall Brake & Muffler. They seemed like good guys when I had my alignment done.

Be aware this is the silly season for OMG NOBODY TOLD ME I NEEDED WINTER TIRES so you might be waiting in line a lot no matter where you go.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 29, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Grouco posted:

Can anyone recommend a shop in Calgary?

I'm having major troubles with my current vehicle (2003 Chrysler Concorde beater), and am really inept when it comes to car stuff. I have been saving and planning to purchase a decent replacement, but my car really poo poo the bed this afternoon-- there's a violent cranking sound emanating from the front axle. I don't want to rush into a decision, and really don't have a huge budget, so I need my Chrysler to last while I try to scrounge up some more funds, start scouring kijij, etc.

Any help?
Based on your more-complete description in the AI stupid questions thread, your wheel is about to fall off. Tighten your lugnuts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I've looked up a few cars I feel would cure my current boring sedan hardon.

Lets have some opinions on the following:

2008 Caddy DTS for 6500
2010 CTS for 15,500
07 bmw 335i for 11,000
2008 caddy cts awd for 9600
08 g37s for 12,500
08 caddy sts v8 for 12,500
08 335i for 12,900
caddy sts v6 awd 13,000

I'm 6'2", 210lbs and drive to vancouver and back often. Trying to decide if RWD would cut it in the winter with snowtires on hwy40 south from GP. I have a 4x4 truck that I could use in bad weather but I don't like to put miles on it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd be more partial to the beemers but then again I'm endlessly bored by sedans. Anything in a Mercedes?

ExecuDork posted:

Based on your more-complete description in the AI stupid questions thread, your wheel is about to fall off. Tighten your lugnuts.

:agreed:

That's what I thought as well. I know from experience since the Scirocco technically has a floating rotor on one side and just so happens to back the wheel off unless you religiously re-torque them a week after changing wheels.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RWD in winter is fine if you have good winter tires. Not a problem, just get winter tires and then get new ones when the old ones start to get worn. The only not-good winter tires are worn-out winter tires.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DTS is FWD. I've seen a 100k STS of the same era go for $4-5k at auction. Same engine, cushy interior, but the engine faces the right way
Make sure the CTS is the 3.6. the 3.0 is dog poo poo
Make sure the HPFP has been done on the 335i. be prepared to rebuild the cooling system. These things hit 400hp pretty easy
08 CTS is the non-DI 3.6, only 250ish hp

If you want AWD, the 335xi's aren't bad. There's also a slim chance you'll find a G37x.

If you've got 12 grand in your pocket and a set of wrenches, you could do really well at an auction. a quick glance at michener's results, for $11,100, there was an 08 535xi with 69000kms. A set of winter tires on that and you would destroy those mountains in an afternoon. 160k on an 08 3.6 CTS AWD went for $8,900. A 2011 Taurus SHO with 114k went for $13k. 2011 saab 9-3 2.0T AWD for $8,500.

This would make a nice winter beater, and i can't see it going for more than 7k.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=28/11/2015%5Eef63639e975e4e068b73b5e927f431ae

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I drove a BMW for 5 winters and then oddly preferred RWD after that. It's probably Stockholm syndrome but my current FWD car just doesn't feel the same. I miss steering with the throttle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I drove a BMW for 5 winters and then oddly preferred RWD after that. It's probably Stockholm syndrome but my current FWD car just doesn't feel the same. I miss steering with the throttle.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to erase understeer with a quick little boot, but losing momentum on a snowy mountain highway and struggling to get it back suuuuuuuuucks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think its just preference. Personally I prefer FWD because you can just keep your foot in until you get understeer then you lift off and it turns in and corrects.

Ultimately at the end of the day slapping winter tires on is the only thing you need.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it's nice to be able to erase understeer with a quick little boot, but losing momentum on a snowy mountain highway and struggling to get it back suuuuuuuuucks.

Yes hills are the enemy of RWD, especially starting on icy ones.

Other than that, embracing the idea that the rear end is going to wander around, and that you really just need to be pointed and moving in the right direction made RWD winter driving a million times less stressful for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Ok I've looked up a few cars I feel would cure my current boring sedan hardon.

Lets have some opinions on the following:

2008 Caddy DTS for 6500
2010 CTS for 15,500
07 bmw 335i for 11,000
2008 caddy cts awd for 9600
08 g37s for 12,500
08 caddy sts v8 for 12,500
08 335i for 12,900
caddy sts v6 awd 13,000

I'm 6'2", 210lbs and drive to vancouver and back often. Trying to decide if RWD would cut it in the winter with snowtires on hwy40 south from GP. I have a 4x4 truck that I could use in bad weather but I don't like to put miles on it.

Throw a lowball at this, nothing but good could come of it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2001-jaguar-xk8-coupe-coupe-2-door/1109592963?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

jonathan posted:

07 bmw 335i for 11,000

Look for 08+ 07s had lovely turbos.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Tighten your lugnuts.

Good general life advice.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

this is the unironically the best option.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

DTS is FWD. I've seen a 100k STS of the same era go for $4-5k at auction. Same engine, cushy interior, but the engine faces the right way
Make sure the CTS is the 3.6. the 3.0 is dog poo poo
Make sure the HPFP has been done on the 335i. be prepared to rebuild the cooling system. These things hit 400hp pretty easy
08 CTS is the non-DI 3.6, only 250ish hp

If you want AWD, the 335xi's aren't bad. There's also a slim chance you'll find a G37x.

If you've got 12 grand in your pocket and a set of wrenches, you could do really well at an auction. a quick glance at michener's results, for $11,100, there was an 08 535xi with 69000kms. A set of winter tires on that and you would destroy those mountains in an afternoon. 160k on an 08 3.6 CTS AWD went for $8,900. A 2011 Taurus SHO with 114k went for $13k. 2011 saab 9-3 2.0T AWD for $8,500.

This would make a nice winter beater, and i can't see it going for more than 7k.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=28/11/2015%5Eef63639e975e4e068b73b5e927f431ae

I can't see that link, shows up with a website error. I have a Max budget of 25k but I don't really want to spend that much unless it's a really nice volt, and only then because I'll be saving 300+ per month on fuel. If its not an electric vehicle then I want a $10,000 luxury sedan. I prefer jap or north american. I don't trust the German cars. $1100 per corner air shocks and whatnot.

I like that Caddy ELR but it was up to 30k last time I looked.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a mazdaspeed 6

AWD, 6 speed stick, low mileage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It's a mazdaspeed 6

AWD, 6 speed stick, low mileage.

Ooh that is an interesting choice.

My next set of days off are December 11.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder why trican is failing :shrug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You guys were totally wrong, the Taurus Police Interceptor does have an Ecoboost.

Let's go to the auctions and net us an all-wheel-drive twin turbo megasedan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/30/ford-police-testing-results/

quote:

In the LASD's 0-60 miles-per-hour acceleration test, the all-wheel drive Interceptor Sedan with the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost sprinted there in 5.8 seconds, compared to 6.6 seconds for the rear-drive 5.7-liter V8 Dodge Charger and 6.7 seconds for the 6.0-liter V8 Chevrolet Caprice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You guys were totally wrong, the Taurus Police Interceptor does have an Ecoboost.

It can be ordered with an ecoboost. it can be FWD 3.5/2.0T, or AWD 3.5/3.5TT. Every one i've seen is the n/a 3.5

edit: there are different badges for it right here

it will either say "flex fuel" "flex fuel AWD' or "ecoboost awd"

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=30/11/2015%5E6257eac94269492ebbceac5a0a127845

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 1, 2015

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Jesus 250k kms and it's a 2013!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The brake discs are also massive on them.