Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the unfortunately named Marco Failla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What happened to Anka? Is that why the book is starting so late?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Clint + no one :O(

Hey, Hawkmoth <3 Black Widow 4 ever or until she gets hungry.

And Scott and Emma is the couple behind Jess and Carol. The Tumblr states not all couples are romantic, Like i'm sure Mangeto and Chuck and the aformentioned Carol and Jess are just friends enjoying themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Howard the Human was great, even with uncomfortably erotic cats.

Age of Ultron took a turn for the :stonk:.

Secret Wars Journal was enjoyable but not particularly essential.

1872. What the gently caress. :stonk:

Captain Britain surprised me by wrapping up in two issues.

Runaways was fun. Could have done with more Valeria but oh well.

Weirdworld was outstanding as usual.

Secret Love was :3:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Captain Britain surprised me by wrapping up in two issues.

Yeah, I'm genuinely bummed that one was so short. The pacing was fine and I fuckin' loved it, but man, I still wish it were longer. I'm sure they could have managed if they'd wanted.

poo poo, I want an ongoing of it. I mean, I guess eventually the novelty of "Judge Dredd but with Marvel dudes" would wear off, but ... :allears:

House of M was pretty great despite the sometimes-spotty art. I'm hyped as hell to read more of this one.

God, I'm gonna miss Secret Wars.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

X-O posted:

What happened to Anka? Is that why the book is starting so late?

Do we know how many issues it's running? I kinda assumed it was starting late to balance out the titles that are finished already since the last main SW book isn't til October, isn't it?

Yeah, I'm not even a little tired of all these Secret Wars. I'd love for Marvel to always be doing at least one alternate-universe mini at all times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yesterday it occurred to me that none of these wars are even secret at all and that the name makes no sense. Then I remembered that it's named after an event that was named because the words "Secret" and "Wars" tested best with a focus group of kids back in the 80's and so the original event name makes no sense.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yesterday it occurred to me that none of these wars are even secret at all and that the name makes no sense. Then I remembered that it's named after an event that was named because the words "Secret" and "Wars" tested best with a focus group of kids back in the 80's and so the original event name makes no sense.
This is all true. However:

Tom Brevoort posted:

At that time, Jonathan had an idea for a book that would be called Secret Wars but actually ended up being the story, in a way, he’s told so far in Avengers and New Avengers. The Illuminati, dealing with alternate universes and incursions… it all goes back to the middle of Secret Warriors as an idea of his. When the opportunity arose for him to take over the Avengers book, he said he’d like to do that story here and tailor it for the two titles structurally. Had that not have happened, he probably would have officially pitched doing a series containing that story called Secret Wars or something else.

The original thinking was that each of these incursions amounted to being a Secret War. Two Earths coming together and in eight hours, one of them is dust. It’s come to mean something slightly different now with what we’ve done in Avengers and New Avengers and, of course, Secret Wars.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Secret Wars as a biographical graphic novel about a veteran's struggle with PTSD. Aren't we all, in our own way, fighting secret wars?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa did you guys hear about those wa--

HEY Ix-nay on the ars-way!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Aww boy. I sure am tired of all these Secret Wars.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Alas, we'll never get the crossover that is Secret Star Wars.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Alas, we'll never get the crossover that is Secret Star Wars.

I was secretly holding out that there would be some mention of Star Wars in one of the books. Or maybe even a crossover between the universes, it just seems like a perfect time to do a fun little thing like that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

This is all true. However:

Having read Secret Warrior's I'm struggling to see how the Incursions could fit in there.

Unless Nick Fury was supposed to be handling this threat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mimir posted:

Secret Wars as a biographical graphic novel about a veteran's struggle with PTSD. Aren't we all, in our own way, fighting secret wars?

You see me now a veteran of a thousand secret wars....

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

The Question IRL posted:

Having read Secret Warrior's I'm struggling to see how the Incursions could fit in there.

I think Brevoort means that Hickman had the idea of the incursions while writing Secret Warriors but didn't plan on using the idea in that book specifically. Because you're right, it wouldn't have fit in Secret Warriors at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Please, if Nick Fury was on the job, there wouldn't have been all this hand-wringing where the Illuminati fight amongst each other about the ethics of world-killing. Fury would've started blowing up planets like the stone-cold bastard he is without a second thought.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Please, if Nick Fury was on the job, there wouldn't have been all this hand-wringing where the Illuminati fight amongst each other about the ethics of world-killing. Fury would've started blowing up planets like the stone-cold bastard he is without a second thought.

It's hilarious that Fury was a gut feeling away from blowing Spider-Man's head off.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

TwoPair posted:

And we could have had Fury vs Fury during the final incursion, that would have been cool to see.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Starsnostars posted:

And we could have had Fury vs Fury during the final incursion, that would have been cool to see.

Instead, our Fury was alone and forgotten on the moon.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the entire reason for Secret Wars and the resulting reboot was to make the main-continuity Nick Fury look like Sam Jackson.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Main continuity nick is already samuel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Marcus has been Nick for a few years now. That theory might have held water several years ago when it did seem like Marvel was trying to make things sync more, but most of the stuff in the comics is so radically different from the movies now that it doesn't really hold.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tell that to the guardians :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Venom and Angela in GotG2 confirmed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

Kitty Pryde, Venom, and Ben Grimm are in the movie? Also Star-Lord's new series is set during the period where he got kicked out of NASA, which definitely happened in the movie!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I hope beyond hope that GotG2 movie synchronicity means Starlord jettisons Kitty Pryde for Gamora.

Preferably into the vacuum of space.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

But him with Gamora is pretty boring and Kitty and Peter together has been great both in the 616 and in Secret Wars, so no thanks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Plus, we need to have Tony and Gamora bang in Avengers Meet Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://i.imgur.com/HMP3UeX.jpg

I unironically would love to see Angela in Guardians 2. Or even Thor 3, as long as they keep her characterization from the comics from this year.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

SirDan3k posted:

I hope beyond hope that GotG2 movie synchronicity means Starlord jettisons Kitty Pryde for Gamora.

This already happened, she made it back

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Gamora & Angela

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Majuju posted:

This already happened, she made it back

Eh, she never made it outside of the bullet. Ya need to finish the job.

(...I like Kitty.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

moleman posted:

Instead, our Fury was alone and forgotten on the moon.
Best seat in the house.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

X-O posted:

Yeah, Marcus has been Nick for a few years now. That theory might have held water several years ago when it did seem like Marvel was trying to make things sync more, but most of the stuff in the comics is so radically different from the movies now that it doesn't really hold.

We're really missing out on not getting to have Nick, Nick Jr., and Ultimate Nick in a scene together.

Throw in Dirk Anger for good measure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

We're really missing out on not getting to have Nick, Nick Jr., and Ultimate Nick in a scene together.

Throw in Dirk Anger for good measure.

Crisis on Infinite Eyepatches

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the entire reason for Secret Wars and the resulting reboot was to make the main-continuity Nick Fury look like Sam Jackson.

I'm sorry that you're so dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They way they made Nick Fury Jr in the comics is so goddamn stupid I wish they would make Ultimate Nick Fury Regular Nick Fury.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Superstring posted:

I used to love Nick, and Nick Jr was decent when I was home sick from school, but what kind of cartoons did they have on Ultimate Nick?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I guess since he's on the moon, 616 Nick is just Nick at Nite now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Die Laughing posted:

but what kind of cartoons did they have on Ultimate Nick?

Rugrats, but the twins were real squicky and the dog ate a guy.

• Locked thread